• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I think it could be interesting if the developer included an option to completely remove the glory kill system. The problem with simply removing the graphic effect is that the monsters still go into the staggered state which seems to give them some extra health. Like, it's possible to stagger a monster, wait until the monster goes back to normal and then restagger it, over and over again.

yeah i would say it really takes away from the reliance, and feeling, of powerful weaponary. It would be cool to have some sort of Classic mode dlc that removes melee finishers and allocates power to the arsenal.

What's everyones favorite levels? I feel the later levels suffer a bit in providing that big open and interconnected "hub" feeling.

I personally love The Foundry and the first Hell level. They both reminded me of good Shock-style levels.

The last levels are amazing. Classic Doom (at least as close at it can get nowadays) and nothing else. I want an expansion with no story, just level after level of classic Doom.

EDIT: I have to agree that the melee kills was a mistake. Instead of staggering them they should die.

Maybe I'm just awful but the arena room after you get the BFG is just screwing me over. I wanna use the BFG but with the Barons spawning right after you clear the room along with only having two shots really sucks.

DMTripper

Hi all,

Bought the game the other day and downloaded through steam. Now updated my drivers via nividia geforce experience.

Only issue I have is that the game doesn't show in my games list. No big deal but I like to use nividia settings and then tweak from there.

Any suggestions? Game is on my main drive BTW.

Thanks

Right which is why proponents of having that entire mechanic removed have a point. They don't want enemies to have the ability to heal at all.

Exactly. They don't even have to change the drops because you'll end up spending less ammo and possibly losing less health because you don't have to give an enemy that extra focus.

Woorloog

Banned
Hi all,

Bought the game the other day and downloaded through steam. Now updated my drivers via nividia geforce experience.

Only issue I have is that the game doesn't show in my games list. No big deal but I like to use nividia settings and then tweak from there.

Thanks

Have you started the game at least once already?

bathsalts

What's everyones favorite levels? I feel the later levels suffer a bit in providing that big open and interconnected "hub" feeling.

I personally love The Foundry and the first Hell level. They both reminded me of good Shock-style levels.

The Necropolis is my fav I think, the first hell level is also dynamite. I think the mid game Mars levels were the weakest of the lot.

Hi all,

Thanks

It might have something to do with the fact that devs haven't removed the private flag or whatever in Steam. No one can see your playtime or achievements, so I'm guessing Geforce Experience can't see the game either.

Woorloog

Banned
So, second to last mission's "Variety is spice" challenge seems bugged. Killing Imps with different Glory Kills doesn't seem to be registering...

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Maybe I'm just awful but the arena room after you get the BFG is just screwing me over. I wanna use the BFG but with the Barons spawning right after you clear the room along with only having two shots really sucks.

green orbs on the ground with the metal spinning things around them are bfg ammo all arena have some around on the ground also the gauss cannon will 2 shot a baron of hell

DMTripper

It might have something to do with the fact that devs haven't removed the private flag or whatever in Steam. No one can see your playtime or achievements, so I'm guessing Geforce Experience can't see the game either.

Oh so what's that all about?

Yeah just checked my profile and it doesn't show the game... Weird

Hi all,

Thanks

Mine is the same. Doesn't show up in steam recent played or achievements either.

SkylineRKR

green orbs on the ground with the metal spinning things around them are bfg ammo all arena have some around on the ground also the gauss cannon will 2 shot a baron of hell

Didn't even use the BFG there, thought I would die, lol.

I pretty much microrocket those 3 jetpack guys. Then super shotgunned others (and use plasma stun on the shields), then grabbed the amplifier to make short work of the hell knights and other big guys. The power up duration upgrade is very useful.

What I also like to do is plasma stun a group, then stationary gauss cannon them in the face. The Barons I ripped apart with chain gun.

I also like how the chainsaw is designed in this game, its a clutch weapon with limited use but one shots on hellknights etc. Great returns in the form of health. Doesn't work on higher tiers than HK and Revenants, solely for those 2 imo.

Has anyone commented on the sheer scale and size of some of these levels? These levels are massive, with lots of verticality and you can see so far into the distance. This is one of the elements of the game that have taken me aback. Seriously, I'm in awe of the environments and sheer scale at some of these mammoth levels.

DjRalford

Has anyone commented on the sheer scale and size of some of these levels? These levels are massive, with lots of verticality and you can see so far into the distance. This is one of the elements of the game that have taken me aback. Seriously, I'm in awe of the environments and sheer scale at some of these mammoth levels.

The levels are definitely of epic proportions.

Tecnniqe

Banned
MP is still boring. It's quiet, hit sounds feel muted often times I die wondering what? And everyone carries a SSG for that quick burst because quick swapping weapons is faster than a full reload so shoot swap shoot swap. Not even a chat window.

Yeah, am Echelon 2 and its super boring. Nothing special just meh over-all.
Guns dont feel that great during Multi and certain weapons cant possibly be balanced at all.
QjwGhG1.png

Thats usually how it goes.
stealth brag

SkylineRKR

So the Plasma Rifle sucks ass. But, the stun bomb is so fucking good. It makes lots of encounters trivial. I never use primary but save ammo solely for this.

Shields instantly dissipate, which means you can shotgun them in the face right after. charging bulls will stun for easy shots in the back. Great setup for Gauss Cannon etc too. I upgraded its stun duration and it shows.

But I like all upgrades. They're fun to use. I hardly use the Scope however, but it probably has its use when you have to kill small fry from a distance as in EP 5.

Momentary

Banned
Ok... I have ALWAYS been a naysayer to motion blur... but I just played on a rig today locked at 120hz with ultra quality motion blur and HOLY SHIT.

Woorloog

Banned
Sigh. I've collected just about everything but one challenge, which is bugged: Vega Central Processing, kill Imps with different Glory Kills.
Anyone else have this problem?

Momentary

Banned
I wonder if someone could make a mod to remove the melee kill animations.

They sort of interrupt and slow down the action, personally. I know some people like them.

Melee kills actually speed up the action for me tremendously now. Especially when you use melee kill speed boost + the haste orb. It's almost uncontrollably fast. It's amazing.

You could just turn off melee kills in the menu.

Demoskinos

I just wanna ask a question here...

I still really hold the original DOOM in pretty high regard and I was also one of the ones who still liked Doom 3. Yet all the stuff I watch of this hasn't hooked me to pull the trigger on buying it.

So I guess my question for anyone else who was sort of on the fence. Is this game a case where actually playing it makes the game click? Cause I keep hearing really good things. But every time I watch videos nothing super catches my eye.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Well I'm glad I picked it up, really awesome so far. Looks amazing and runs smooth on a 970 as well so PC was the right choice. It's crazy they didn't try to get single-player reviews out before release at least. The multi-player is being totally ignored anyway as far as I can tell.

SkylineRKR

I still really hold the original DOOM in pretty high regard and I was also one of the ones who still liked Doom 3. Yet all the stuff I watch of this hasn't hooked me to pull the trigger on buying it.

So I guess my question for anyone else who was sort of on the fence. Is this game a case where actually playing it makes the game click? Cause I keep hearing really good things. But every time I watch videos nothing super catches my eye.

Clicks? More like fall in love. The gameplay is perfection. One of the best FPS I have ever played, and I am near the final stages.

bathsalts

Just finished, total playtime was 9 hours on ultra violence. Kind of slacked off in the later levels looking for rune challenges, secrets and such since they didn't seem necessary at that point.

Haven't gone right back into a game after completing it in a long time but started a nightmare playthrough right away, dodging fireballs in the early levels is so much more tense with the silly amount of damage they can do. Definitely seeing more nuances in the weapons as I play more, stuff like purposely shooting rockets to the side of a pinky then detonating it once its behind them is so satisfying to pull off, the game letting you do it at 120mph with a hundreds of other things happening just makes it even better.

Sigh. I've collected just about everything but one challenge, which is bugged: Vega Central Processing, kill Imps with different Glory Kills.
Anyone else have this problem?
If I remember correctly, I got this with the Berserk power-up. there was a power-up in one of the big rooms and you can kill Imps in different ways with it.

low-G

Similar boat, but I'd say it was a good game, and you do 'get it' more upon playing for a while. I'd say if you're on the edge, it'd be a good discounted buy. It's a real good game with very good action, but it's not an absolute must play like the original Doom & Doom 2. I bought it because I 'needed' a single player FPS and I got it at $45.

Xbox One peeps are playing the Multiplayer like CoD.
This is a cake walk for me since all I have to do is bunny hop with the Super Shotgun and they lose their minds trying to hit me.

TEJ

I'm strongly enjoying this game. Just finished level 2 of the main game and there's a lot of stuff i must have missed. Will i get to go back to it with weapons and items from later levels in hopes of finding those secrets?

Woorloog

Banned
If I remember correctly, I got this with the Berserk power-up. there was a power-up in one of the big rooms and you can kill Imps in different ways with it.

The game doesn't give me updates for the challenge no matter how i kill them. Seems to be completely broken for me somehow.

Top Bottom