• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Ulysses 31

Xbox One peeps are playing the Multiplayer like CoD.
This is a cake walk for me since all I have to do is bunny hop with the Super Shotgun and they lose their minds trying to hit me.

How are they playing like CoD? Do all the weapons have aiming down sight? ¯\ (º_o) /¯

Haven't touched multi yet.

Diancecht

I was looking for a wallpaper with 'Rip and Tear' but couldn't find any, so I made it myself:

ripvcuy0.jpg

RowdyReverb

So, I'm pretty sure the Tactical controller setting with melee mapped to pressing the left stick with custom mapping is the ideal way to play with a controller. My thumbs only leave the sticks if I want to change equipment or use Chainsaw/BFG or crouch

How are they playing like CoD? Do all the weapons have aiming down sight? ¯ (º_o) /¯

Haven't touched multi yet.
For starters, there were some people camping in a corner with a rocket in their hands, then when I gibbed them with the BFG, they rage quit and one sent me a message of him screaming racial slurs, so the CoD community is very much present, but not with good results :p

So here are a couple questions for you all. I was someone who wasn't exactly thrilled by both betas.

What extent is the coop for? Like is it a whole different mode or is it the SP campaign?

Also with snapmap how creative can the maps get?

I could get the game for around 40 on Amazon and I have a couple of friends that have it and they all liked it, and impressions here seem good. I know these are awkward questions but thanks to anyone who answeres!

Woorloog

Banned
So here are a couple questions for you all. I was someone who wasn't exactly thrilled by both betas.

What extent is the coop for? Like is it a whole different mode or is it the SP campaign?

Also with snapmap how creative can the maps get?

I could get the game for around 40 on Amazon and I have a couple of friends that have it and they all liked it, and impressions here seem good. I know these are awkward questions but thanks to anyone who answeres!

Co-op is for SnapMap only.

Kadin

I'm strongly enjoying this game. Just finished level 2 of the main game and there's a lot of stuff i must have missed. Will i get to go back to it with weapons and items from later levels in hopes of finding those secrets?
Yep. You can go to your save file and choose mission select and play any of them again with all your armor/weapon upgrades intact. They did it right.

And going from memory, I believe you'll even see new ammo boxes that might not have been there originally if you didn't have the corresponding weapon.

pa22word

If I played and beat Wolfenstein at the highest difficulty, can I start this at the highest as well?

Maybe, maybe not.

Honestly, this game plays nothing like TNO. I'd say if you've played a lot of classic Quake then start the game on nightmare at the least, because even ultra violence is pretty easy if you know how to circle strafe and bunnyhop decently.

Dominator

How do I get through the room (level 8 spoilers)
where there's a gun locked in a little container? This red laser comes down from the ceiling and keeps going up and down. If I jump to the platforms on the side I avoid the laser but then I don't see anything else to do.

Woorloog

Banned
where there's a gun locked in a little container? This red laser comes down from the ceiling and keeps going up and down. If I jump to the platforms on the side I avoid the laser but then I don't see anything else to do.

Shoot red stuff.

Reebot

The lasers have red support thingies on the underside, shoot them as they go back up.

Who said the MP is bad? This is fucking great, lol. I love this game.
Okay...no weapon pick-ups is a dumb decision but everything else is super oldschool (= fantastic)

dmr87

It's not just a gun, oh yes.

For starters, there were some people camping in a corner with a rocket in their hands, then when I gibbed them with the BFG, they rage quit and one sent me a message of him screaming racial slurs, so the CoD community is very much present, but not with good results :p

The CoD must be rampant on CSGO too then because thats all I experience playing it. Russian and french kids threatening to hack me lol

Reebot

Who said the MP is bad? This is fucking great, lol. I love this game.
Okay...no weapon pick-ups is a dumb decision but everything else is super oldschool (= fantastic)

Its too basic, and they made a huge mistake by not giving the player mid-air control. There's not much you can do strategically, so its essentially a DPS race - and certain gun combos are far better than others.

Lack of static pickups, since the demon rune is randomized, also means no element of map control. TDM is just walking around until you find someone - there's no flow, no give and take.

u4ea

CoD is actually pretty fast paced compared to 90% of the other online shooters. Especially the latest ones.

But I guess it's cool to hate on CoD again these days I guess.

CoD is actually pretty fast paced compared to 90% of the other online shooters. Especially the latest ones.

But I guess it's cool to hate on CoD again these days I guess.

You havent played the last CoD did you?

CoD is still a camping galore with kids only caring about K/D and Killstreaks.. so he isnt really wrong.

NotLiquid

I'm trying to find the last secret at the Argent Facility which I imagine is the secret Doom map. I think I know where it is (there's a locked door near the start of the level next to a few demon runes and a terminal I can't interact with, plus the map shows a bunch of unexplored areas behind it), but how do I open it up?

Woorloog

Banned
I'm trying to find the last secret at the Argent Facility which I imagine is the secret Doom map. I think I know where it is (there's a locked door near the start of the level next to a few demon runes and a terminal I can't interact with, plus the map shows a bunch of unexplored areas behind it), but how do I open it up?

Look for a lever, should be near-ish the locked door.

Sullichin

If I replay a mission to find stuff I missed, will I have all of the weapons/upgrades I currently have unlocked? Can I replay missions to make progress toward weapon mastery challenges?

Its too basic, and they made a huge mistake by not giving the player mid-air control. There's not much you can do strategically, so its essentially a DPS race - and certain gun combos are far better than others.

Lack of static pickups, since the demon rune is randomized, also means no element of map control. TDM is just walking around until you find someone - there's no flow, no give and take.

Yeah, it's like Goldeneye 64 or Perfect Dark. I'm okay with this ^^

For the people who have played all the old Dooms and this one, what do you think of the combat in this one versus the old ones? I personally like the combat in the old ones much better and feel this is where this Doom falters a little bit. Other than that, everything is extremely well done in this Doom, especially the epicness of the levels.

Bedlam

Sorry for the non-answer but yeah, this one drove me crazy earlier, too. Eventually I gave up on finding the lever for now and moved on. First secret I couldn't reach in the game so far. Finding the classic map in the level after this one was easier again, fortunately.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
For the people who have played all the old Dooms and this one, what do you think of the combat in this one versus the old ones? I personally like the combat in the old ones much better and feel this is where this Doom falters a little bit. Other than that, everything is extremely well done in this Doom, especially the epicness of the levels.
I think it's similarly satisfying. Especially once you get the super shotgun. It's better than all of the Quake games as well.

I think it's similarly satisfying. Especially once you get the super shotgun. It's better than all of the Quake games as well.

Yes, definitely better than the Quakes and Doom 3. :) Oh, and the other area where I think this is lacking are the sound effects. The plasma gun, for example, sounds so puny compared to the old Dooms.

Nokterian

It feels somewhat familiar said it in other thread weapons feel good but they feel better when upgraded but the combat is much like doom but also quake like because of the verticality also the demon runes like quad damage etc that is from quake. But overall it feels fast and fluid from the older dooms.

So, i have 12 weapon upgrade points but no weapons to upgrade... sigh.
I don't mind that there are more ways to gain points than needed but the extra points should have some nice special use or something.

I didn't have that problem, always something to upgrade. Make sure you find the weapon mods, some are pretty well hidden!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yes, definitely better than the Quakes and Doom 3. :) Oh, and the other area where I think this is lacking are the sound effects. The plasma gun, for example, sounds so puny compared to the old Dooms.
Yeah, this I agree with. The sound effects on the weapons are mostly poor - just like Doom 3 (without the E3 sound pack).

Hoping someone can improve it via a mod.

pa22word

Well to be blunt, you can't really 1:1 recreate classic Doom in 3D due to the way the gameplay worked and was designed to be played on a flat, two-dimensional plane.

This game is more Quake 1 without rocket jumping
;-;
than classic Doom, and thus far I'm totally okay with that.

Really my only gripe with the gameplay is the RPG stuff they shoehorned into it. Stuff like siege mode on the rail gun being pretty worthless in heavy firefights unless you use it a lot and get the upgrade that allows full movement. Like why would I use this dangerous function that has little real time benefit vs free movement just so I can use it later and actually have full range of motion? Why not just give it to me to start out with? Oh yeah, shooters in 2016 have to have some kind of dumb RPG system to keep people engaged in a 10 hour campaign T_T

TNO had the same problem, but it's not near as stupid here as it was in that game. TNO's completely arbitrary upgrade system really soured me on that game. "Hey if you want fast movement you have to throw a bunch of knifes at people in stupidly specific ways!" Uh, what?!

Well to be blunt, you can't really 1:1 recreate classic Doom in 3D due to the way the gameplay worked and was designed to be played on a flat, two-dimensional plane.

;-;

Really my only gripe with the gameplay is the RPG stuff they shoehorned into it. Stuff like siege mode on the rail gun being pretty worthless in heavy firefights unless you use it a lot and get the upgrade that allows full movement. Like why would I use this dangerous function that has little real time benefit vs free movement just so I can use it later and actually have full range of motion? Why not just give it to me to start out with? Oh yeah, shooters in 2016 have to have some kind of dumb RPG system to keep people engaged in a 10 hour campaign T_T

TNO had the same problem, but it's not near as stupid here as it was in that game. TNO's completely arbitrary upgrade system really soured me on that game. "Hey if you want fast movement you have to throw a bunch of knifes at people in stupidly specific ways!" Uh, what?!

Yes, I agree that this game is more like Quake than it is the old Doom's. Honestly, it feels like Quake and Doom 3 on steroids to me, which isn't a bad thing. And yeah, I agree that it's not possible to recreate the gameplay 1:1 of the old Doom's, due to various reasons, among them being hardware limitations.

Doikor

;-;

Because it 1 shots hell knights and 2 shots the other big things and 3 shots for a hell baron. The 1s that you cannot move isn't really an issue (jump and start charging while in air. the charge is usually ready by the time you land shoot and start moving again). I used it quite a lot (on nightmare). Only got the master upgrade to it after I finished the game due to only using it on the big stuff and never getting 5 targets in the hits. And the movement you get from having the last upgrade isn't full speed movement and thus not fast enough to dodge most stuff so you have to use it pretty much the same way.

edit: I found all the weapons and upgrades except the pistol and normal shotgun (afteryou get SSG) very useful.

edit 2: If I would not run out of ammo all the time I would have used pretty much only the Gauss cannon. To me it was simply the best weapon. But 10 ammo for one shot and 30 for a charged forces you to use all other weapons (well same issue for everything. You are forced to use all weapons due to ammo issues on nightmare)

I have everything (99% campaign complete, minus buggy challenge). And bunch of extra points. I want something i can use them for.

Oh well that makes sense to me, though, not everyone goes for 100% and not everyone hunts for every single thing on a map - so designers need to make sure there's more upgrade points than you'd actually need.

They *could* add more stuff to use them for, but then people would run out and the design decision outlined above would fail. Like a vicious cycle sort of thing.

Anyway, FINISHED IT! Loved it, totally dig the glory kill mechanic and the new kind of flow that brings when used correctly and with proper runes (haste). Can't wait for the inevitable DLC/sequel.

Top Bottom