• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
How is this game on ps4? Is IT playable with controller? Would I have a difficult time with the single player game?

PS4 port is great. Plenty of controller options. You can increase Field of View, turn off Motion Blur, disable HUD elements.

The only problem is that it can take little long to load levels in my experience.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1218810&page=1

Someone made a multi-colored dance floor map with Funky Town playing, ive also seen a music maker, a memory quiz game, and just played a CoD Nazi Zombies style map that has all the same functions except the barricades.

Oh and there's a farming simulator map too. So it can get pretty creative.

That's amazing. And they plan on adding more functions? That in itself is almost worth the price of admission. Thanks!

The Flash

Banned
PS4 port is great. Plenty of controller options. You can increase Field of View, turn off Motion Blur, disable HUD elements.

The only problem is that it can take little long to load levels in my experience.

Yeah slow level loading is pretty much the only problem

phant0m

I fucking love this game. I was 10 chapters into UC4 when I got it, and poor Nate hasn't been back in the console since.

What's the replayability situation for the SP component.

I have literally 0 interest in the MP nor will there even be a serviceable community close to my area for me to play with so yeah.

SP is my basis for whether or not I get this game.

low-G

I think it's similarly satisfying. Especially once you get the super shotgun. It's better than all of the Quake games as well.

Quake 1? No way man. That level design, the speed runs. QUAKE 1 INVENTED SPEED RUNS, PERIOD.

But I think this is better than Quake 2. The level design may not always been as interesting, but the action is far better.

Doom 4 is almost an amalgamation of superior Japanese action (like Vanquish) and Western action.

What's the replayability situation for the SP component.

I have literally 0 interest in the MP nor will there even be a serviceable community close to my area for me to play with so yeah.

SP is my basis for whether or not I get this game.

It's about as repeatable as the first two Doom games in my eyes. It's ripe for speed runs and secrets to find. There's hardly any stoppages for cutscenes and the like. Plus a ton of difficulty levels.

Think of it like Bulletstorm. Sure you can use just one weapon if you want, but the magic is trying new ways and combos to defeat enemies.

It uses Denuvo. So not happening unless they add some kind of official support.

Aww damn.

It's about as repeatable as the first two Doom games in my eyes. It's ripe for speed runs and secrets to find. There's hardly any stoppages for cutscenes and the like. Plus a ton of difficulty levels.

Think of it like Bulletstorm. Sure you can use just one weapon if you want, but the magic is trying new ways and combos to defeat enemies.
OH SWEET. Bulletstorm is actually one of my personal favourite FPS campaigns so that's great to hear. Thanks for the feedback.

Dragoshi1

The game is amazing, Singleplayer is great, SnapMap looks fun to use, but the MP...

Look, none of my friends have nor want DOOM, so I'm a lone player, I play with Randos, but C'MON. From the beta and the game being out for a few days, and what looks like lag, fighting is frustrating.

And the amount of children playing this is staggering. I have had nothing but matches where a kid is over the Mic complaining about this and that.

They don't grab armor, ammo, health, nothing. They beeline for the Demon Rune, but don't know how to use the Revenant, and just run around instead of jetpacking.

And Freeze Tag mode is just...ugh. You can thaw your teammates by standing near them, 80% of my matches, it's just straight up TDM, and even though they'll be right next to me or someone else, they won't thaw 'em.

ARGH.

Can't wait to jump back in.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
random tweak too

+com_skipKeyPressOnLoadScreens 1

add to steam launch options

Yeah, this I agree with. The sound effects on the weapons are mostly poor - just like Doom 3 (without the E3 sound pack).

Hoping someone can improve it via a mod.

Maybe there is something wrong with the sound in the PC version?
All the weapons, well the sound design in general is fucking fantastic.

Sullichin

I'm at Vega Central Processing. Boss and area before this were a guantlet. Probably pretty close to the end?

Missed a ton of stuff. Feels like some weapon mods are much better than others though. Plasma Rifle stun is amazing.

JRW

It's nice they included some classic Doom levels to find and play through but it's disappointing they left out all of the lighting and instead we get a 'full bright' map, no darkness, flickering lights etc.. also minor gripe but noticed there's no camera bob / view bob.either.

ufo8mycat

Someone mentioned if you find all the classic Doom secrets in each level, it unlocks the full game of the original Doom in the Main Menu....

I assume this is bs? Lol

Sullichin

It's nice they included some classic Doom levels to find and play through but it's disappointing they left out all of the lighting and instead we get a 'full bright' map, no darkness, flickering lights etc.. also noticed there's no camera bob / view bob.

I still haven't found a single one of these. I must be missing something obvious.

It's nice they included some classic Doom levels to find and play through but it's disappointing they left out all of the lighting and instead we get a 'full bright' map, no darkness, flickering lights etc.. also minor gripe but noticed there's no camera bob / view bob.either.

Camera bob would suck in this game. Seriously. The reason why it worked in the originals is because there was no vertical camera.

Simo

I still haven't found a single one of these. I must be missing something obvious.

I just got to
Hell for the first time
and I haven't found one yet. They're really well hidden and don't appear on your map apparently because you need to find these hidden levers to open a door to the OG map and then you unlock the full map accessed from the menu.

MiguelItUp

I'm still really looking forward to the MP, it apparently ain't for everyone but it's better than DOOM 3's. Well, and it's functional. I enjoyed my time with the alpha and betas, it felt different enough for me to want to keep playing. People keep mentioning Overwatch and seem to forget that they're both completely different games. I plan on enjoying them both for awhile. Really glad people are eating crow about DOOM. As a huge DOOM fan since I was a child, I find it absolutely delicious. I can't wait to come back from vacation and get lost in it. I hope they consider SP DLC, I just want as much DOOM as possible. Then, bring on the Quake reboot. ;)

Finally picked this up on PS4. Holy shit is this game legit.

Easily my favorite shooter in a long time and one of my favorite games this gen, hands down.

Looks great, plays smooth as fuck, fast and just really fun to kill shit.

Game wasn't on my radar at all until this thread. SAE the trailers and was... Meh about it. Holy shit was I wrong lol.

Brizzo24

just finished DOOM man, i love this game. its so awesome

I'm still knee-deep in the campaign (pun intended) and I too am absolutely loving it. I didn't immediately fall in love with Wolfenstein New Order, but this, DOOM, is rekindling my old-school + new school love for FPS.

I actually really like the weapons, despite some of the minor gripes I've read on here about them not being "bass-y" enough. The alternate fire is fun, and I love the ease of being able to switch in between 'em o the fly. The variety is spot-on, and plays a strategy on how you tackle the field of monsters. The weapon unlocks, coupled with the challenges, keep me cycling through my arsenal in order to try new things--it also encourages you to perceive each battle with a different strategy.

The real show-stealer, however, is the crafty level design; coupled with the themes and atmosphere. You truly feel you're on Mars/
Hell
. It's incredible. I find myself in awe of the draw distance, looking at the terrain and action in the far background.

I rented my copy via recd box, but this game warrants a purchase, no questions asked. I would've bought but I don't have the $ right now...

This might belong in the dumb questions thread, but here goes... how the hell does this game move so damn fast and still look and as good as it does while so many other games don't? I'm playing on PS4. Is this a good example 60fps? Why don't more FPS games look and 'feel' like this? Is it their engine? Some kind of Carmack magic? What?!

This might belong in the dumb questions thread, but here goes... how the hell does this game move so damn fast and still look and as good as it does while so many other games don't? I'm playing on PS4. Is this a good example 60fps? Why don't more FPS games look and 'feel' like this? Is it their engine? Some kind of Carmack magic? What?!

id 6 is apparently magic

Nokterian

Dis game man fuck me..bethesda fucked it up with the marketing but word of mouth goes a long way.

3b0.jpg

pa22word

Holy hell this latest hell level, Titan's Realm or something, could have been 1:1 copy/pasted directly into Quake 1 and I don't think anyone would have noticed.

Please id, PLEASE make a real sequel to Quake 1 after this!

Top Bottom