• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

monadi

Banned
The movement with the left stick gets stuck sometimes for me like when i turn. Its not the dualshock 'cause it was fine during uncharted. Anyone else noticing this?

Edit: also when i move from standing still. Is that just how the dude moves? Thats weird.

ufo8mycat

No bs. That is correct.
When you find a lever and pull it, you hear a sound. Go investigate.

You can then select classic maps from the menu a you can roll in nostalgic environments with new enemies and guns.

I have just two maps....Need to explore even more

I know about the classic small Doom maps when you pull the lever. What I mean is, if you find every lever and Doom map in every mission, it unlocks the FULL original doom to play? Someone mentioned this but unsure if it's true.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
What's the replayability situation for the SP component.

I have literally 0 interest in the MP nor will there even be a serviceable community close to my area for me to play with so yeah.

SP is my basis for whether or not I get this game.

You have your usual secrets and extra hard difficulty levels. SnapMap is a curated map design tool so you can play other peoples' levels.

The disconcerting thing, and I might be wrong, is that there is no true mod support yet. SnapMap lets you make levels but its all with the tools that are there. There's no changing up the game beyond that, which goes against the Doom legacy. We'll have to see where it goes.

The Flash

Banned
Dis game man fuck me..bethesda fucked it up with the marketing but word of mouth goes a long way.

3b0.jpg

Yep. This game's a real treat.

a63.gif

The damn challenge is utterly broken. I glory kill 5 imps, and only one registered...

You sure you got the right ones? it's sometimes overly specific (from behind or right leg).

Speaking of which, I find runes in this game's SP is added last minute or something because I can't see anyone mastering them through SP and actually use them unless they go back to farm upgrade them... at which point it's not all that useful anymore as you beat the campaign.

red731

I know about the classic small Doom maps when you pull the lever. What I mean is, if you find every lever and Doom map in every mission, it unlocks the FULL original doom to play? Someone mentioned this but unsure if it's true.

You cought my unedited post - I have edited is as you can see.
I haven't seen that after collecting all levels that it would open up Doom game.

The PC performance thread shows that some people are having issues even with a beefy rig.

So far I've only seen people with AMD cards having issues, and that's not on the game. That's AMD's fault for having crappy OpenGL support (and it may be fixed once Vulkan rolls out)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Rock solid 60fps. Consistent too.

hhnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggg

will probably get it, I've been dying for a solid fps without corridoresque level design. I saw a pic of the 3d map and I was like "fuuuuuuck, they finally did it. A FPS with actual level design"

everything just screams 90s FPS to me when it comes to this game.

T.O.P

Banned
Do we know of more games being developed with this engine right now? i'm kinda in love

Especially after ID5 not liking my 970 at all

The more I play this game the more the marketing makes no sense

like why didnt they show off more of the maps to let people know there was actual level design

CihDxa0UoAAdxXP.jpg

Duxxy3

Just finished my rental copy. Definitely gonna pick this up later on.

With this, both Wolfenstein games, and The Evil Within, Zenimax is quickly turning into my favorite publisher of this generation.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Just finished it, and it was a fun time. The ending had me curious about how a sequel would work. I think they'd have to go a little different if they did it.

Super duper vague spoilers stuff
I kind of think a game based on the Sentinels would be cool.

and for a game with VERY minimal story, very little character exposition, I really enjoyed one of the characters in the game. It's probably pretty obvious who it is given they're the only one with any real dialogue, but I figure I'd leave it vague just in case.

DMTripper

My point is that even the "weakest" of the three is strong and plays every bit as good as the "best" of the three.

What exactly is your vendetta against the Xbox One version? Save that for tech threads.

lol.

I'm not saying the xbox is rubbish as it's not. But to say it plays as good as pc is wrong.

BigDug13

I'm still knee-deep in the campaign (pun intended) and I too am absolutely loving it. I didn't immediately fall in love with Wolfenstein New Order, but this, DOOM, is rekindling my old-school + new school love for FPS.

I actually really like the weapons, despite some of the minor gripes I've read on here about them not being "bass-y" enough. The alternate fire is fun, and I love the ease of being able to switch in between 'em o the fly. The variety is spot-on, and plays a strategy on how you tackle the field of monsters. The weapon unlocks, coupled with the challenges, keep me cycling through my arsenal in order to try new things--it also encourages you to perceive each battle with a different strategy.

The real show-stealer, however, is the crafty level design; coupled with the themes and atmosphere. You truly feel you're on Mars/
Hell
. It's incredible. I find myself in awe of the draw distance, looking at the terrain and action in the far background.

I rented my copy via recd box, but this game warrants a purchase, no questions asked. I would've bought but I don't have the $ right now...

I wanted to like Wolfenstein more and it is close to being great for me, but the design decision to force me to press a "pickup" button on every single thing I wanted to pick up was SO annoying and ruined the flow of the game. Doom's "run over it to pick it up" is far superior.

It was a really baffling decision seeing as how original Wolfenstein was automatic pickup when running over things.

JRW

So far I've only seen people with AMD cards having issues, and that's not on the game. That's AMD's fault for having crappy OpenGL support (and it may be fixed once Vulkan rolls out)

As a 290X owner unfortunately this may be correct, random fps issues here and there with some odd stuttering which is almost like a bottleneck of sorts (driver related im assuming) but AMD supposedly working on it.

Alienous

The more I play this game the more the marketing makes no sense

like why didnt they show off more of the maps to let people know there was actual level design

CihDxa0UoAAdxXP.jpg

They literally could have just shown that image and it would have been more effective than all of their actual marketing combined.

Vire

As expected mainstream media isn't going to love this. 7.1 from IGN review in progress.

I feel like there should be room for games like this to still exist.

tesqui

I never thought the marketing was bad for this game. I was on board ever since the first E3 presentation.

You fuckers should've just had faith in Doom.

Top Bottom