• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Freeman76

I actually do not believe this turned out so well. I have been looking forward to Uncharted 4 ever since i finished the 3rd one, and literally got to chapter 12, bought this and havent even put UC4 on since. How they got this running at 60fps looking so good puts a lot of other devs to shame!

Reebot

As expected mainstream media isn't going to love this. 7.1 from IGN review in progress.

I feel like there should be room for games like this to still exist.

I feel like this should be the the dominant shooter archetype.

The trend in gaming, and really pushed by game reviews, is a move toward "serious drama," foolishly conflated with artistic importance. Anytime a game comes out that even pretends to tackle deep themes reviews trip over themselves with Citizen Kane comparisons or "its a challenge to the medium" (my favorite buzzword quote).

But this is really putting the cart before the horse, since much of modern gaming "drama" comes at the expense of interactivity. Functionally, many modern games act more like CGI films with an elaborate scene selection, and reviewers seeking to validate the medium give out accordingly high scores. The interactive, challenge aspect is almost entirely separate from the real meat and purpose of the "game," which is a pretty bizarre inversion of priorities.

All this to say that Doom directly confronts this trend. It should be pretty clear that I think most or nearly all game reviewers are flatly terrible at their job. So they'll take the easy way out and dock points for lack of story, lack of drama, lack of an easy "thing" to which one can point and say "games are art exactly like movies."

I can only hope more folks follow in the footsteps of Noah Cadwell-Gervais, and don't fall into this trap.

Alienous

I never thought the marketing was bad for this game. I was on board ever since the first E3 presentation.

You fuckers should've just had faith in Doom.

It was hard to tell if they finally figured out Doom 4, or if they just needed to ship something to make up for all the failed Doom concepts.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Since Bethesda's been tight lipped about the OST release, anyone have some recommendations for music similar in style to the OST?

razzel

The trend in gaming, and really pushed by game reviews, is a move toward "serious drama," foolishly conflated with artistic importance. Anytime a game comes out that even pretends to tackle deep themes reviews trip over themselves with Citizen Kane comparisons or "its a challenge to the medium" (my favorite buzzword quote).

But this is really putting the cart before the horse, since much of modern gaming "drama" comes at the expense of interactivity. Functionally, many modern games act more like CGI films with an elaborate scene selection, and reviewers seeking to validate the medium give out accordingly high scores. The interactive, challenge aspect is almost entirely separate from the real meat and purpose of the "game," which is a pretty bizarre inversion of priorities.

All this to say that Doom directly confronts this trend. It should be pretty clear that I think most or nearly all game reviewers are flatly terrible at their job. So they'll take the easy way out and dock points for lack of story, lack of drama, lack of an easy "thing" to which one can point and say "games are art exactly like movies."

I can only hope more folks follow in the footsteps of Noah Cadwell-Gervais, and don't fall into this trap.

You should be given some sort of award for the post lol. So spot on.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The more I play this game the more the marketing makes no sense

like why didnt they show off more of the maps to let people know there was actual level design

CihDxa0UoAAdxXP.jpg

fpsMapDesign2016.png

DeaDPo0L84

So I beat Uncharted and unfortunately the MP didnt really click with me to give the game longer legs. With Overwatch being my next definite purchase I needed something to fill the two week gap. I picked DOOM up due to all the praise here and not only is it filling the gap but I am actually having more fun with this than I did Uncharted on a personal level and I loved my time with Uncharted. I am only on level 4 so far but it just keeps getting better and better.

The PC performance thread shows that some people are having issues even with a beefy rig.

That'll always be the case with PC, due to untold amounts of variables in play.
Mine ran ~120 fps maxed even before the new Nvidia driver, so I was lucky.

I wonder how well console players will do on the higher difficulty settings, personally I can't imagine playing a game of this type using sticks.

As expected mainstream media isn't going to love this. 7.1 from IGN review in progress.

I feel like there should be room for games like this to still exist.

Judging from the Steam response of Overwhelmingly Positive, I think it will do fine by word of mouth. No one cares about game reviews anymore anyways except to complain that Uncharted 4 got lower than 9.0.

You sure you got the right ones? it's sometimes overly specific (from behind or right leg).

Speaking of which, I find runes in this game's SP is added last minute or something because I can't see anyone mastering them through SP and actually use them unless they go back to farm upgrade them... at which point it's not all that useful anymore as you beat the campaign.

I went out of my way to master them as I played, made me switch my playstyle around when I probably wouldn't have otherwise. Got them all maxed by the end, but yeah, didn't use most of them much after upgrading.

Nokterian

I never thought the marketing was bad for this game. I was on board ever since the first E3 presentation.

You fuckers should've just had faith in Doom.

The marketing was bad..at E3 reveal i went eye rolling on everything that didn't make it doom to me. Slow ass gameplay..using a gamepad,the whole thing around it just made the game give a bad name i was super sceptical about it.

Only the nvidia footage from the gtx 1080 reveal made me convince this game was just like i played doom back in the 90's and this was outside bethesda done by someone who played a lot of fast fps games.

Vire

Judging from the Steam response of Overwhelmingly Positive, I think it will do fine by word of mouth. No one cares about game reviews anymore anyways except to complain that Uncharted 4 got lower than 9.0.
Yeah I hope so. I loved Uncharted 4, but I also recognize there's a place for games like this that strictly focus on gameplay above all else.

I'm probably gonna redbox it tomorrow on the way home from work. Not because I don't feel like it's worth 60 bones (watched the Giant Bomb quick look and it looked dope). But because I've bought way too many games at full price as of late (Hyper Light Drifter, Ratchet and Clank, Dark Souls 3, Uncharted 4 and Overwatch.. Gawd damn last two months have been pricey!)

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I was looking at a stream of this game because I was hesitant after Bethesda's bad marketing. It looks great but something else really stuck out for me. Most of the ambient music that plays when you're not fighting enemies sound extremely similar to the ambient music from Metroid Prime(with a hint of Doom 64 of all things). Does anyone know who did the soundtrack and if one of the ex-Retro employees made it over to id studios? I think it sounds great and fits with exploring a level and finding secrets.

I always secretly thought the ambient soundtrack from DOOM 64 was better than the constant midi-guitar from OG DOOM.

I agree completely, I haven't cared about reviewer's opinions since the late 90's, when I realized I basically know more than they do (insert Ron Swanson meme).

I still like to follow reviews for entertainment purposes, but with internet forums, Youtube and betas I'm thankfully not reliant on them.

pa22word

Because it 1 shots hell knights and 2 shots the other big things and 3 shots for a hell baron. The 1s that you cannot move isn't really an issue (jump and start charging while in air. the charge is usually ready by the time you land shoot and start moving again). I used it quite a lot (on nightmare). Only got the master upgrade to it after I finished the game due to only using it on the big stuff and never getting 5 targets in the hits. And the movement you get from having the last upgrade isn't full speed movement and thus not fast enough to dodge most stuff so you have to use it pretty much the same way.

edit: I found all the weapons and upgrades except the pistol and normal shotgun (afteryou get SSG) very useful.

edit 2: If I would not run out of ammo all the time I would have used pretty much only the Gauss cannon. To me it was simply the best weapon. But 10 ammo for one shot and 30 for a charged forces you to use all other weapons (well same issue for everything. You are forced to use all weapons due to ammo issues on nightmare)

You know what you're incor-

*plays around with siege mode a bit*

k......

I'll take the L on this one @__@

Gauss Cannon: Precision Bolt or Siege Mode?

I went siege. Let me tell you, nothing comes close to siege mode Gauss cannon. Any large annoying mobs? 1-3 shot them with it. Done. (those annoying summoners that teleport all around, boom 1 hit) IT ALSO has wider spread dmg due to AOE upgrade. It shits on precision lol.

Defco 7T

Neo Member

Great post!

Captain Failure

Neo Member
Went ahead and picked up this game after all the praise in this thread. Having a lot of fun with the campaign and can see myself playing around with snapmap quite a bit. Finding it to be better then uncharted 4 so far.

pa22word

I went siege. Let me tell you, nothing comes close to siege mode Gauss cannon. Any large annoying mobs? 1-3 shot them with it. Done. (those annoying summoners that teleport all around, boom 1 hit) IT ALSO has wider spread dmg due to AOE upgrade. It shits on precision lol.

Yep, it's basically like a BFG-lite. Pinkies just melt like butter before it.

Mupod

I gave the multiplayer another shot. It can be fun for no other reason that people have no situational awareness and I can use traversal and vertical movement to dominate with rockets/shotgun. And then someone gets some lame ass wall hack powerup, instakill demon mode or autoaim gun and I get pissed off. It feels even more unfair dying to this stuff than Destiny supers.

But it just doesn't feel good to play, especially coming off of Overwatch. It's glaringly obvious that it was made by different people from the SP.

Can someone mark on a map where the plasma rifle is? I think I missed it but I'm still on that level so I'm wondering if I can still go back to get it.

Edit: never mind I got it!

I tried domination after a few underwhelming TDM matches and I enjoyed it a lot more.

Having points of interest where action is bound to be happening makes just enough of a difference to make it enjoyable, in my opinion.

The new Unreal Tournament is still the better arena shooter, however.

pa22word

Some isn't most. And those problems don't mean NOT better than consoles.

Yeah, anyone who has a decent PC and buys the console version because of some dudes in the perf OT having vsync issues is just being silly at this point.

Just look at those benches....game is running like a stallion on basically every setup. AMD cards have perf issues, but what else is new when it comes to OGL games on amd hardware? Once Vulkan version comes out that'll be irrelevant anyways.

pa22word

Can you go back and change the ALT for your weapon? I regret my Plasma Rifle decision.

Just press R on PC to swap altfire modes in real time. No idea what it is on consoles, but there should be a controller map somewhere in the settings to show you what button to press.

Demoskinos

Well, played the first two missions and yup okay...I'm on board. Sadly now I have to wait until the PS4 downloads the rest of this stupid game. =|

george_us

This exactly sums up my problem with a lot of more recent modern games and the exact reason I couldn't get into Uncharted 4.

Back on topic: The
Cyber Demon
is beating my ass.

Doikor

Can you go back and change the ALT for your weapon? I regret my Plasma Rifle decision.

You have to unlock the other mode by finding another supply drone and buying it from it. After that there should be a button to swap between the 2 modes (R on PC version)

edit: Good that you guys found out about the siege mode gauss cannon greatness. On the description it isn't the best but once you find out how much dmg it does (and the AoE is crazy with the upgrade)

Funnily enough this game might be my surprise hit of the year. I honestly thought it would be some dull shit but instead it's just fun fun fun.

Someone said on the other thread that it's amazing that Bethesda marketing somehow managed to turn DOOM into a sleeper hit.

Doikor

Back on topic: The
Cyber Demon
is beating my ass.

Using a BFG shot on it is a free back to full HP as it stuns it and gives you enough time to shoot it so much that it drops 200+ hp. Also you can stop the "got walled in and now he does stuff" thing with a BFG shot

TedMilk

Has the music and dialogue stopped playing for anyone else? It's lasted two levels now, all volumes at 100%. Playing on PS4.

Top Bottom