• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Im so fucking confused by this game, I keep hearing everyone saying its godly but then I don't see any reviews, then I look up release it came out 3 days ago. Is this all an elaborate joke?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The glory kills remind me of the melee attacks in Resident Evil 4,5,6. They're for dealing damage but more importantly you get some invincibility frames.

But turn off the glowing indicator.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just a heads up: for the Toxic Refinery classic level make sure you don't jump during the raising platform section in the open green toxic waste area. Glitch made me fall through the raising platform. It works fine if you just stand there.

The balance in that level is weird. It was a bit tough for the first section, much harder than in the actual game. But once you get the Supercharge sphere it becomes trivial.

KORNdoggy

Is there really any reason for adding this distinction? I mean seriously.

With a game that runs this smoothly just let it go.

I imagine a lot of multiplat owners would benefit from such knowledge.

Is there a reason you even care someone is making that distinction? I mean seriously.

NotLiquid

Im so fucking confused by this game, I keep hearing everyone saying its godly but then I don't see any reviews, then I look up release it came out 3 days ago. Is this all an elaborate joke?

Outlets didn't get review codes until launch because they felt that for publications to accurately judge the package they needed SnapMap to be online and such. I think we can expect some reviews tomorrow; an outlet I know has said they're putting theirs up in the morning.

That said it was a genius move to let word-of-mouth speak for the game. After the overwhelmingly negative beta we now got a game with an overwhelmingly positive reception and many lapsed Doom fans doing a complete 180 on the experience. I think for a game like this, fan reception is probably more important.

bidguy

Banned
I imagine a lot of multiplat owners would benefit from such knowledge.

Is there a reason you even care someone is making that distinction? I mean seriously.

no one cares about the distinction. whats wrong here is that hes shitting on someone who reffered to the console version as the console version. apparently the xbone is no longer able to be called a console alongside the glorious ps4

then he doubled down by implying the ps4 version is better than the pc version lmao

Outlets didn't get review codes until launch because they felt that for publications to accurately judge the package they needed SnapMap to be online and such. I think we can expect some reviews tomorrow; an outlet I know has said they're putting theirs up in the morning.

That said it was a genius move to let word-of-mouth speak for the game. After the overwhelmingly negative beta we now got a game with an overwhelmingly positive one reception and many lapsed Doom fans doing a complete 180 on the experience. I think for a game like this, fan reception is probably more important.

No reviews because they got the game same day we did.
Ah got it, thanks. So bizzare everyone talking about it, yet havent seen anything in the media. Thought it leaked way early, then I saw it came out last week. Confused me. It blows my mind that it is really good.

So far I've only seen people with AMD cards having issues, and that's not on the game. That's AMD's fault for having crappy OpenGL support (and it may be fixed once Vulkan rolls out)

Just installed on PC.
Using a 980ti, the opening splash screens locks up at moments, stuttering.

Why are there no reviews for it? Do they have a review lock for 2 weeks after it comes out? And how can Doom be good!!!

Has Doom ever not been good? Even the worst Doom port was at least somewhat enjoyable, and that includes Doom 64 and the awful Jaguar version.

Doom 3 was pretty good, too. Which one did you have in mind?

.la1n

Why are there no reviews for it? Do they have a review lock for 2 weeks after it comes out? And how can Doom be good!!!

Forget the reviews, I think this thread is evidence enough that the game is good. I had no idea until this whole debacle that people in this day and age still based so many buying decisions on an archaic practice. Hell, most of those guys had difficulty controlling the game much less reviewing it properly.

Bl@de

I feel like this should be the the dominant shooter archetype.

The trend in gaming, and really pushed by game reviews, is a move toward "serious drama," foolishly conflated with artistic importance. Anytime a game comes out that even pretends to tackle deep themes reviews trip over themselves with Citizen Kane comparisons or "its a challenge to the medium" (my favorite buzzword quote).

But this is really putting the cart before the horse, since much of modern gaming "drama" comes at the expense of interactivity. Functionally, many modern games act more like CGI films with an elaborate scene selection, and reviewers seeking to validate the medium give out accordingly high scores. The interactive, challenge aspect is almost entirely separate from the real meat and purpose of the "game," which is a pretty bizarre inversion of priorities.

All this to say that Doom directly confronts this trend. It should be pretty clear that I think most or nearly all game reviewers are flatly terrible at their job. So they'll take the easy way out and dock points for lack of story, lack of drama, lack of an easy "thing" to which one can point and say "games are art exactly like movies."

I can only hope more folks follow in the footsteps of Noah Cadwell-Gervais, and don't fall into this trap.

Great post. I totally agree with you.

LoveCake

I played the Multiplayer BETA and I didn't like it, what is the single player campaign mode like and does anyone know how long it is?

Not had any single player FPS games for sometime now, last was Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, I did get Halo 5 but went through that in a weekend and thought it was pretty poor, so I am tempted by this.

What are the green items which are sphere with a ring around them? I never seem to be able to pick them up.

BFG ammo, need the gun first then you can pick them up.

edit: weird that you come across ammo before it's even possible to get the gun, now that I think about it. Probably makes sense when you replay the levels.

Forget the reviews, I think this thread is evidence enough that the game is good. I had no idea until this whole debacle that people in this day and age still based so many buying decisions on an archaic practice. Hell, most of those guys had difficulty controlling the game much less reviewing it properly.

Yup, agreed, forget the reviews. Are reviews really even needed for this at this point? All you have to do is look through this thread and look through the Doom reviews on Steam. This game is fast approaching 7000 reviews already and is garnering a very high 92% positive feedback on Steam. Looks like it's selling extremely well on pc so far. Let's see how it sells on consoles when NPD rolls around next month.

I feel like this should be the the dominant shooter archetype.

The trend in gaming, and really pushed by game reviews, is a move toward "serious drama," foolishly conflated with artistic importance. Anytime a game comes out that even pretends to tackle deep themes reviews trip over themselves with Citizen Kane comparisons or "its a challenge to the medium" (my favorite buzzword quote).

But this is really putting the cart before the horse, since much of modern gaming "drama" comes at the expense of interactivity. Functionally, many modern games act more like CGI films with an elaborate scene selection, and reviewers seeking to validate the medium give out accordingly high scores. The interactive, challenge aspect is almost entirely separate from the real meat and purpose of the "game," which is a pretty bizarre inversion of priorities.

All this to say that Doom directly confronts this trend. It should be pretty clear that I think most or nearly all game reviewers are flatly terrible at their job. So they'll take the easy way out and dock points for lack of story, lack of drama, lack of an easy "thing" to which one can point and say "games are art exactly like movies."

I can only hope more folks follow in the footsteps of Noah Cadwell-Gervais, and don't fall into this trap.

Well said. This is why I love the old school first person shooters, since it was all about gameplay back in the day. Since the game appears to be selling well (on pc anyway), maybe other developers will take notice and will start making games that are similar to Doom again. Maybe we'll even see a resurgence of these types of games in the near future if we're lucky.

Man.

The more I mess around with multiplayer the more that the Demon power ups seems absolutely crazy over-powered. Such a blemish on the game. It's not my favorite multiplayer but it would be a decent time without that.

It stands out even more so now than it did in the beta because it exists beside a fantastically designed campaign.

Mupod

I played the Multiplayer BETA and I didn't like it, what is the single player campaign mode like and does anyone know how long it is?

Not had any single player FPS games for sometime now, last was Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, I did get Halo 5 but went through that in a weekend and thought it was pretty poor, so I am tempted by this.

I was in the multiplayer beta threads constantly complaining about how bad it was.

I'm really enjoying the SP. They're nothing alike really.

Keyboard/mouse helped the multiplayer a bit but it's just inherently not that good.

Hedrush

I've only finished level 2 but I believe it's around 12 hours aversge depending on difficulty. So far it's been an absolute joy to play this masterpiece.

Tacitus_

I'm so bad at finding secrets T_T

I don't think I've got all secrets on any level yet and I've only unlocked one classic map (the one in the "climb the tower" mission).

Ricker

Climbing the Tower to follow Olivia is a little annoying...hey,we give you this dumble jump but you will instant die if you are not careful lol...made it to a checkpoint at least,just have to figure how to get higher and not fall to my death...thank god the loadings arent too bad hehe...

Just about halfway through mission 5 and my game crashed. Now my savefile is corrupt.

Goddamnit. :(

On the plus side I get to rip and tear more demons on the way back to my original progress :D

I feel like this should be the the dominant shooter archetype. [...]
How about just getting rid of the entire idea of having one dominant archetype across all genres?

If shooters were all like Doom, Call of Duty would be a breath of fresh air.

Variety is the spice of life, and game makers and publishers need to appreciate that they have a very large palette of mechanics and tricks to the toolbox, and not to just settle on what's currently selling the most.

That and that sometimes less is truly more. Instead of pushing complexity or depth through multifaceted progression tiers, sometimes you just need fewer, refined mechanics, with solid feedback and performance, and even the flimsiest of excuses for scenarios to show those things off.

Stoze

Think I'm about 2/3 in now, definitely have a few complaints with it;

-I get a glitch where my map keeps scrolling when I open it up, happens fairly frequently. Gets fixed by dying or resetting checkpoint. edit: Or by repressing one of the WASD keys, derp
-Some poorly placed checkpoints and they feel too far apart at times. Becomes problematic when you fall off the map since the checkpoints usually occur just before or after combat. There was one part one with a long bridge where I basically lost a good 4 or 5 minutes of progress twice because of it.
-Not only is there no manual saving or way to go back to prior cleared out levels to get stuff you missed (in the same playthrough), there's appears to be points of no return near the end of some levels also. Caused me to miss a pretty good rune that I planed on going back for, unless I missed an alternate route.

Otherwise I'm still having a blast, anything else is relatively minor.

Top Bottom