• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Review Thread - The Fury Road of Shooters

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
My review:
giphy.gif
out of ten

y5jpso7.jpg

SarusGray

Wait, but if they made 300+ million and the budget is 150 how come they "barely broke even"?

probably doesn't take into account marketing cost, advertising cost and the expectations they had.

I'm interested in this game though so I'l be here for impressions from users

Zemm

Dude can't tell if the game is self-aware or not.

The game is definitely self aware.

As for reviews, this game will be good to weed out the publications that just don't want the same thing from games that I do so I can ignore them in future.

Wait, but if they made 300+ million and the budget is 150 how come they "barely broke even"?

Because the studio only really ends up with about 50-60% of the revenue from the theatrical run after it's all said and done.

Wait, are people not realizing that the game is self-aware and absolutely ridiculous by design?

NZerker12

But the multiplayer in COD where you can gather hundreds of hours more than makes up for the mediocre campaigns. You're comparing two different things here.

That doesn't matter, COD still has a single player campain which is usually always bad. Why should COD getaway with having a bad campain when DOOM doesn't with its multiplayer? They actually are compareble, if you review the whole game for one game you are expected to so for the other, you can't just cherry pick and say COD multiplayer makes up for it and say DOOM's single player doesn't.

mcz117chief

That doesn't matter, COD still has a single player campain which is usually always bad.

Which Call of Duty has, in your opinion, a bad campaign? I played Call of Duty 1,2,4, Modern Warfare 3 and Black Ops 3 and the only one I didn't find incredibly good is Black Ops 3. Call of Duty 1,2(maybe 3) and 4 were clearly designed around campaign first.

I hated this game.

That is how opinions work, some games you like, others you don't, not every game is designed for everyone. For example, I wonder how many people on the planet would agree with me and call NieR the greatest video game of all time.

Malcolm9

nLm6tRZ.png

I hated this game.

I've had BLOPS 3 since November and have only played it a handful of times in MP, so I decided I will try out the SP mode and I turned it off after 30 minutes, it was incredibly dull and lifeless.

I traded both it and Fallout 4 for DOOM and wow, this game is amazing. Seriously, how IGN can score BLOPS 3 so high is a mystery.

Bedlam

loved mad max but hated fury roads, will this mean I won't like Doom?

Also don't know if this has been posted but ouch

http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2016/05/review-doom-sony-playstation-4.html

5/10
Lol @ this guy's tweet in the middle of the review. Really shows how serious you can take this review. What a consdescendig, attention-whoring idiot.

Along comes the best SP shooter campaign since TNO and of course some reviewers are completely oblivious in the age of COD and other corridor shooters. Trained to eat shit for a decade, now they like it best and don't recognize good food.

Hip Hop

nLm6tRZ.png

I hated this game.

I've had BLOPS 3 since November and have only played it a handful of times in MP, so I decided I will try out the SP mode and I turned it off after 30 minutes, it was incredibly dull and lifeless.

I traded both it and Fallout 4 for DOOM and wow, this game is amazing. Seriously, how IGN can score BLOPS 3 so high is a mystery.

I don't like it, there for it shouldn't get a good score?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Which Call of Duty has, in your opinion, a bad campaign? I played Call of Duty 1,2,4, Modern Warfare 3 and Black Ops 3 and the only one I didn't find incredibly good is Black Ops 3. Call of Duty 1,2(maybe 3) and 4 were clearly designed around campaign first.
I've always found that CoD campaigns are well made and clearly have a lot of money and effort poured into them but...they are incredibly shallow.

People always reminisce about the "All Ghillied Up" but I'm not sure I understand why. You basically follow a completely scripted character around the entire level. It's as linear and scripted as you could possibly get. The issue is that there aren't any real mechanics there. There is no stealth system in play, the AI doesn't react to the player, every major scene is carefully scripted to happen in a specific way and you can't even go off the beaten path.

It's all spectacle, no substance and people love it.

I've discovered that I prefer a nice middle ground between linear and open ended. Freedom within linearity is the way to go and Doom actually offers that in its own way.

Typically, I don't care for reviews and getting mad over them is just silly. But with Doom, the thing is that this is a very rare kind of game in today's gaming landscape, and a lot of people seem to think that it's incredible. While the positive word of mouth is definitely gonna help it, good reviews could boost the sales, so Bethesda get the idea that games like The New Order, The Old Blood, and Doom are what people love and want. Anyway, I hope it ends up with better reviews from other outlets.

dlauv

That tweet in the middle of the review is very frustrating. And it seems like his complaints either lack the bigger picture or are fairly superficial considering his own uncertainty in regards to tone. "It's fun, yeah, but it's only as fun. It needs to be more-so." How many single-player shooters are as fun as the original DOOM? Not many.

Get a clue, dude. The game is goofy as hell.

It's more of a "I don't think IGN's reviews align with my tastes anymore" than "fuck IGN". I think they're a fine outlet, but more often than not I find myself not agreeing with them, especially lately.

mcz117chief

I've always found that CoD campaigns are well made and clearly have a lot of money and effort poured into them but...they are incredibly shallow.

People always reminisce about the "All Ghillied Up" but I'm not sure I understand why. You basically follow a completely scripted character around the entire level. It's as linear and scripted as you could possibly get. The issue is that there aren't any real mechanics there. There is no stealth system in play, the AI doesn't react to the player, every major scene is carefully scripted to happen in a specific way and you can't even go off the beaten path.

It's all spectacle, no substance and people love it.

I've discovered that I prefer a nice middle ground between linear and open ended. Freedom within linearity is the way to go and Doom actually offers that in its own way.

I agree with your "all ghillied up" analysis. I didn't enjoy that one much either besides my first playthrough.

NZerker12

Do note I said usually bad and as for bad campains for me personally BO3, AW, Ghosts, MW3. The last decent campain from COD I played was BLOPS 2. I agree with you COD 1 - 4 was great but that was when they put a lot of effort into their campains.

mcz117chief

Do note I said usually bad and as for bad campains for me personally BO3, AW, Ghosts, MW3. The last decent campain from COD I played was BLOPS 2. I agree with you COD 1 - 4 was great but that was when they put a lot of effort into their campains.

Honestly my favourite is MW3, especially the Paris missions.

Malcolm9

So original *clap clap*......

COD is the same every year, it's more stale than the Assassins Creed series, it's not a case of me liking it or not to have an opinion on the score.

I think the majority will say BLOPS 3 is the worst SP campaign in a COD game yet, and the MP is the same old thing we've seen for years.

DOOM is so refreshing for the FPS genre, the same as TNO was, we need more games like this rather than dull clichéd Hollywood mega dramas that COD provides.

So original *clap clap*......

COD is the same every year, it's more stale than the Assassins Creed series, it's not a case of me liking it or not to have an opinion on the score.

I think the majority will say BLOPS 3 is the worst SP campaign in a COD game yet, and the MP is the same old thing we've seen for years.

DOOM is so refreshing for the FPS genre, the same as TNO was, we need more games like this rather than dull clichéd Hollywood mega dramas that COD provides.

That's like, your opinion man. Black Ops 3 has a great multiplayer, even if it's not "new".

Doom, on the other hand, has one of the worst multiplayer i've ever seen in a FPS, and it will affect ratings in a bad way. The campaign is amazing tho'.

T-0800

That doesn't matter, COD still has a single player campain which is usually always bad. Why should COD getaway with having a bad campain when DOOM doesn't with its multiplayer? They actually are compareble, if you review the whole game for one game you are expected to so for the other, you can't just cherry pick and say COD multiplayer makes up for it and say DOOM's single player doesn't.

COD campaigns are awesome if you think of them as light gun games. I'm not even joking.

hodgy100

Lets not fall into review bashing guys. This game is obviously a bit of a marmite game (you either love it or hate it) as its so different from what we normally expect from a shooter.

Plus reviewers are allowed to have different opinions. Games with reviews that have a wide range tell me much more about a game than when reviewers unanimously agree on a game being great.

gfxtwin

Just started playing. Less than a minute into the game you break free of restraints, cave in the skulls of some zombies with your fists, receive a request via tablet/computer to collaborate with some creepy sounding guy and break the device because fuck you and then get a shotgun. The new Doom doesn't play around at all, hahaha.

Not to use a trite phrase but could some lower reviews be a case of some people not playing it 'right'. I know there will be people that don't like it for what it is and that is expected and completely okay.

But having seen the infamous Polygon footage I can only imagine someone not finding the game all that enjoyable if they play it by-the-numbers, flat-footed and slooooooooowly.

It isn't a funnelled tick-off-each-enemy-in-turn type of game. It is chaotic and fast with a multitude of weapons and mods available to switch on the fly at any given moment to deal with mobile and wily enemies.

Edit: Just saw one of Metro's negatives: Mediocre visuals, especially the art design for Hell.

That surprises me a bit as I have been impressed from the start (PC on Ultra).

SarusGray

Amazing campaign in an FPS is something I've been wanting for quite a while so I'm definitely buying this game after I finish Uncharted 4. COD hasn't hit that note for in a while so the newest COD coming out will probably be the first COD I don't buy.

Bedlam

Not to use a trite phrase but could some lower reviews be a case of some people not playing it 'right'. I know there will be people that don't like it for what it is and that is expected and completely okay.

But having seen the infamous Polygon footage I can only imagine someone not finding the game all that enjoyable if they play it by-the-numbers, flat-footed and slooooooooowly.

It isn't a funnelled tick off each enemy in turn type of game. It is chaotic and fast with a multitude of weapons and mods available to switch on the fly at any given moment to deal with mobile and wily enemies.
I can definitely see a case of people not being used to this kind of shooter (anymore) after a decade of scripted, slow, corridor shootbang and LT->RT shooting mechanics.

Lets not fall into review bashing guys. This game is obviously a bit of a marmite game (you either love it or hate it) as its so different from what we normally expect from a shooter.

Plus reviewers are allowed to have different opinions. Games with reviews that have a wide range tell me much more about a game than when reviewers unanimously agree on a game being great.
Well, when a reviewer peppers his review with his own "assholish" tweets about the game he is reviewing, then I'd say bash away.

While I agree that negative reviews should exist even for very good games, (as a large part of a typical review is extremely subjective) it just goes to show once more that reviews are close to useless in terms of helping someone understand if the game is for you. You have to know what that writer values in games and his opinions on past games which you also liked. But yea this is a review thread so I guess all this doesn't matter much.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Such a cool little gif. I also enjoyed the death animation when dying in lava with the T2 reference. This game has really surprised me. Was expecting a turd and instead they delivered a fresh and exciting new experience. Well done id.

Between this and Wolfenstein also beating expectations, I think we can say that id is back.
You know it

Next step, Quake
But please, with classic arena multiplayer with a lot of guns by the floor

u4ea

I can definitely see a case of people not being used to this kind of shooter (anymore) after a decade of scripted, slow, corridor shootbang and LT->RT shooting mechanics.

I wouldn't be surprised a lot of the reviews are done on a console and they play way slower and less twitchy as "classic" pc-gamers.

Bedlam

I wouldn't be surprised a lot of the reviews are done on a console and they play way slower and less twitchy as "classic" pc-gamers.
Yup.

I mean I'm playing on console too but I'm basically playing it like a Burnout game, with Glory Kills being the Takedowns.

Wow. I literally could not disagree with John's quote more. The Last of Us, Uncharted, The Witcher 3 all prove the importance of story. Some of the best games of all time are story driven.

Yeah, except they're not. They're certainly novel given how rare a serviceable story is in videogames, but a focus on traditional storytelling in videogames will almost certainly put certain restrictions on freedom of the player. Carmack definitely had a point.

ISee

Saying that something doesn't deserve a high score because you don't like it is legit. Let's be honest reviews are opinion based. Some reviewers try to be objective but in the end it never works out. You either like the story, gameplay, art design and setting etc. or you don't. You just have to accept that other people like or dislike something you like or dislike yourself. Games are an artform and it's very hard to judge art and it's even harder to measure 'fun'.

I for example really enjoy Dooms SP, I'm even replaying the game on nightmare atm. IMO the SP campaign deserves a 9.0, in IGNs opinion it deserves a 7.1. Who is wrong here? Nobody.

Top Bottom