• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Review Thread - The Fury Road of Shooters

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
IMO the SP campaign deserves a 9.0, in IGNs opinion it deserves a 7.1. Who is wrong here? Nobody.

IGN. The single player campaign is one of the best in recent years. That alone should elevate it to the 8 + range.

mcz117chief

IGN. The single player campaign is one of the best in recent years. That alone should elevate it to the 8 + range.

But we are going in circles, mate. It's your opinion against theirs, you can' FORCE someone to like something, liking something is an act of free will. Just because I don't think that DOOM is the second coming makes me a person with "bad taste"?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
But we are going in circles, mate. It's your opinion against theirs, you can' FORCE someone to like something, liking something is an act of free will. Just because I don't think that DOOM is the second coming makes me a person with "bad taste"?

Yes

No ;)

Joe White

How long does the campaign last in this?

I would say something around 6 hours, mostly depending on how much exploration and challenges you do.

Edit. but do note, that because the gameplay itself is so much fun, I've now spend roughly 10h in it just replaying some levels.

Bedlam

I would say something around 6 hours, mostly depending on how much exploration and challenges you do.
lol nope

Did you breeze through on easy or something?

I'm about 10 hours in and no end in sight so far. Granted, I do explore the levels a lot and do all the challenges.

Believe you me, I wish I could enjoy the game as much as you do, but it just can't click with me for some reason :(

It is just one of those things unfortunately. There have been a lot of games people have raved about that I just couldn't find the love for. I know it can be a bit gutting when so many people are enthusiatically detailing their enjoyment of a game but not every game is for every one. Mechanics and gameplay just might not click for you.

This has always been my thoughts with a review: as long as the reviewer is articulate in their reasons why the game isn't so great then I am okay with it; I can determine if their tastes and past reviews follow my tastes. Not liking a game is fine.

nib95

Banned

Edit. but do note, that because the gameplay itself is so much fun, I've now spend roughly 10h in it just replaying some levels.

Still contemplating. 6 hours isn't a whole lot given I'll likely not delve in to the MP.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Went ahead and Red boxed it. I like it so far having just beaten the third mission. Ran into a weird glitch tho, textures not loading at all and no audio during cut scenes. I wouldnt rank it above TNO just yet.

I loved Wolfenstein TNO so this seems right up my alley. May wait for a sale but the impressions have cemented a purchase at some point from me for campaign

Bedlam

Still contemplating. 6 hours isn't a whole lot given I'll likely not delve in to the MP.
This game is way longer than 6 hours. Don't believe the misinformation.

Also, thread-related:

RtGR74q.jpg

I hope for a GB review either from Brad or Jeff soon.

Z3M0G

lol nope

Did you breeze through on easy or something?

I'm about 10 hours in and no end in sight so far. Granted, I do explore the levels a lot and do all the challenges.
Exploring sure, but doing challenges shouldnt count. That is extending the gameplay, for sure.

If i want to know how long a game is, im NOT asking how long it takes to get a platinum...

Bedlam

Exploring sure, but doing challenges shouldnt count. That is extending the gameplay, for sure.

If i want to know how long a game is, im NOT asking how long it takes to get a platinum...
The challenges make up a few couple of minutes within the 10 hours that I have played so far.

Again, taken purely campaign gameplay into consideration, this game is WAY longer than 6 hours.

jfoul

This game is way longer than 6 hours. Don't believe the misinformation.

Also, thread-related:

RtGR74q.jpg

I hope for a GB review either from Brad or Jeff soon.

It was fun watching their surprised reactions in the recent quick look.

seph1roth

I don't understand this reviews, seriously, what's happening to the magazines...Doom probably has the best FPS campaign in years.

KORNdoggy

only 6 hours? definitely waiting for this to drop in price.

This is like Wolfenstein all over again. Review scores suck. Too many reviewers mistake trends in gaming as improvements over systems that have fallen out of favor.

The health + armor system, isn't old and dated. The 10 weapons system isn't old and dated. The open map design isn't old and dated.

Doom isn't great because it reminds you of games that were great when they came out. Doom is great because it makes you fall in love with this style of gameplay all over again.

When you have people dropping by the OT every page or so asking about the story... it shows you that people expect different things from a game these days... and that's fine. Doom isn't everyone.

And if you just read the reviews you get a sense of that. Oh, they're bemoaning this or that. I've always said that the scoring system is shown to be broken whenever you have a game where the single player is fantastic, but the multiplayer is meh (or vice versa). Do you mark the game down for including an additional mode that is only okay? Or would the game be getting higher scores without that mode at all?

There'll never be a consensus on it. Hopefully DOOM sells what it deserves, and finds the audience it should (and I think it will). But what it really exposes to me is how broken scoring games is. Bethesda were right to not send out review copies. They knew they'd get flak for it, but it let the game get into the right peoples hands. These reviews might have steered me clear of the game.

And what a crime that would have been.

Freeman76

6 hours is not really accurate unless you are highly skilled or run through on easy. Im at 8 hours and just halfway, playing on Hurt me Plenty but checking for secrets etc as i go. 6 hours means running through it without dying much and bypassing all the secrets basically so it depends on how you play.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I know reviewers are beholden to their readers and viewers, otherwise they'd be out of business, but there's no way anyone can spin a premature "in progress" review score as anything other than stupid.

Tovarisc

I played difficulty equal to Hard, did some exploring, took easy to find collectibles / secrets and did all rune challenges. Took me around 13-ish hours from beginning to end without rushing nor taking it super slow trying to find everything there is to find. I guess you can do 6 hour run by putting game to Easy and just rushing through without taking single second to look around, but I don't see it being average playthrough time.

Edit: Also didn't die that much during my run, and when I did it was my own mistake and not because game was being dick with difficulty setting.

Xater

It's more around 10 hours and that's on Hurt Me Plenty. Definitely longer on higher difficulty settings. I am a very fast player and I am usually way under what reviews mention.

So if the Last of Us multiplayer would be complete garbage they would have given it a 6/10 or 7/10 lol?

Sometimes you just need to know when the multiplayer is more of a bonus than the essence of the game.

Tovarisc

Has Doom ever been known for its MP? I thought that was more of a Quake thing.

Yeah, MP was more of a Quakes thing. I think with this DOOM reboot and Bethesda making so huge deal out of its MP component people [I guess mostly PC players] expected it to be arena shooter in style of Quake. Not this steaming pile of mediocrity that tries to please everyone so ends up pleasing very, very few.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand this reviews, seriously, what's happening to the magazines...Doom probably has the best FPS campaign in years.

The tide has changed and also its been years without Doom and years with modern story based shooters. Some of these reviewers might only know Doom in name only and are putting the new one in the category of Serious Sam/Bulletstorm esque-games without looking deeper into the new Doom's intricacies to see why it's better.

Gurish

Anyone that read enough reviews: what are the reasons of the reviewers for not giving it a 9 and above?

Like what did they expect?

KORNdoggy

It's more around 10 hours and that's on Hurt Me Plenty. Definitely longer on higher difficulty settings. I am a very fast player and I am usually way under what reviews mention.

even "howlongtobeat" is saying 7.5 for story. upwards of 33 for completionist.

i dunno. it's sounding quite short considering it's all that there is (i thought the MP was pretty much terrible) but i'll dabble in a few months when it's shaved off a few quid. i'm sure what's there is fun though.

Vire

Oof 74 on Metacritic. Guess I'm not entirely surprised it's the fans vs the the press on this one.

Anyone that read enough reviews: what are the reasons of the reviewers for not giving it a 9 and above?

Like what did they expect?
Most of the complaints that I've read is that it's repetitive and wears thin by the end while also being uninspired from an art perspective when it came to Hell's design.

Tovarisc

i dunno. it's sounding quite short considering it's all that there is (i thought the MP was pretty much terrible) but i'll dabble in a few months when it's shaved off a few quid. i'm sure what's there is fun though.

Who is this "howlongtobeat"? Anyways I wonder if they are playing on Easy and putting in zero time to look around for anything else than next objective, 6-8h sounds like rushing through with blinders on. I'm same as Xater, I don't take long time with SP FPS and chase down every secret yet I managed to put in 12-13 hours on Hard.

danowat

Banned
Reviewers (generally) get to play the game for free, I would imagine they have more of a critical eye for any potential failings than those who have put their hard earned down.

I wonder if the fan response will be the same in a week?, once the honeymoon period has worn off.

KORNdoggy

So if the Last of Us multiplayer would be complete garbage they would have given it a 6/10 or 7/10 lol?

Sometimes you just need to know when the multiplayer is more of a bonus than the essence of the game.

if that's the case they probably shouldn't have put so much emphasis on it, especially as their excuse for the late review copies:

"DOOM is a robust game comprised of a single-player campaign, online multiplayer, and SnapMap. We believe all three elements are important parts of the complete DOOM experience"

i mean, if an entire element of your self proclaimed "3 important elements" is barely even worth playing...you probably should be docked a point or 2.

Who is this "howlongtobeat"?

it's a website.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

I'm going to go off a bit, but this is something that hurt gaming a lot. None of the Dooms were overly long games, nor Quake, nor Goldeneye, nor the majority of games Doom was designed with in mind. It is a title that means 7.5 hours is basically pure gameplay. Not Uncharted or COD, where 1/3 of the time is spent locked into following someone, watching cutscenes, and other aspects which offer nothing. Hell, going through the first 1/3 of the game in many of them is basically a glorified tutorial now.

On the other hand, these are games that are designed to be clearly replayed and mastered. Brings some tears to the eyes.

Slixshot

Banned
Come on mass media websites! Don't fuck this up!

the lackluster outsourced boss fights in Dues Ex Human Revolution didn't drag it down at all. Who is playing Doom, a single player game, for its multiplayer component?

on top of that, the multiplayer isn't even "bad." It's just unnecessary.

I actually loved the beta. Not sure why others didn't.

Whompa02

The lackluster, outsourced MP is dragging it down.

the lackluster outsourced boss fights in Dues Ex Human Revolution didn't drag it down at all. Who is playing Doom, a single player game, for its multiplayer component?

on top of that, the multiplayer isn't even "bad." It's just unnecessary.

this game deserves 9s. It's super well designed from a level and gameplay standpoint, and the graphics and sense of speed and momentum are great!

Top Bottom