• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 BETA 2 |OT10| Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickster

Quickly beginning to hate pug games.

I'm still quite new to the game, i don't know everything. But goddamn, I feel like the people I'm getting matched with in unranked ( still can't do ranked because not level fucking 13 why the fuck was the ever considered a resonable level anyway? )are just complete fucking braindead.

I choose WW and indicate I'll go safe lane. Then the game starts and a Drow Ranger and Troll Warlords who didn't say shit during hero select tells me "GO TOP WINTER"(in caps yes). Leaving me as a Winter Wyvern, together with a Lion, to handle a PA and Pudge in top :|

We lost

W1SSY

First games in like 2+ months and go 3-1 playing supports. I am sure tomorrow will be the exact opposite.

W1SSY

jungle dark queer is kinda neat

the fact he doesn't really need boots or many items at all is refreshing

What?
huh.gif

sandy1297

EU qualifiers are going to be brutal.

Inviting Malaysia, a 1 month old team, ahead of Rave, feels like bullshit to me.

TM is basically 3/5 of Orange which placed 3rd on TI3 though, and you can say the new member are somehow an improvement over the old one
not to mention RAVE have been shit for the past few months

Wok

Considering that the growth rate has fallen behind last year's I think I'm reading it more or less right.

Nope. You are ignoring the bump which will happen next Monday. However, due to the log curve, we might end at 12-13 million, so not too far from last year's prize pool, but still above in the end.

( still can't do ranked because not level fucking 13 why the fuck was the ever considered a resonable level anyway? )
The idea is it blocks off ranked to the new players (so they can't immediately go in and mess up) and smurfs (since it does take a while to get to Level 13).

Admittedly it does nothing for bad players and if the smurf is dedicated enough they won't care.

Trickster

The idea is it blocks off ranked to the new players (so they can't immediately go in and mess up) and smurfs (since it does take a while to get to Level 13).

Admittedly it does nothing for bad players and if the smurf is dedicated enough they won't care.

I totally get the point of preventing people from going straight into ranked. But I have almost a 100 games, and I'm not level 10 yet. Let's be generous and say each game has been 30 min on average ( which I think we all know it's not ). That's still 50 hours of pure games.

From wwhat my more seasoned Dota friends are telling me, the current level requirement was implemented during a time when it was easier to get levels or something though, and they just never bothered to change it after that. Dunno if that's true tho.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
It took way longer to level up than it does now.

It took like 150 games, didn't it? You are utterly fucking awful at Dota prior to 500h ingame time so it's honestly not that harsh.

Quickly beginning to hate pug games.

I'm still quite new to the game, i don't know everything. But goddamn, I feel like the people I'm getting matched with in unranked ( still can't do ranked because not level fucking 13 why the fuck was the ever considered a resonable level anyway? )are just complete fucking braindead.

I choose WW and indicate I'll go safe lane. Then the game starts and a Drow Ranger and Troll Warlords who didn't say shit during hero select tells me "GO TOP WINTER"(in caps yes). Leaving me as a Winter Wyvern, together with a Lion, to handle a PA and Pudge in top :|

We lost

WW Lion can actually handle PA Pudge all right in lane. You can side pull the jungle camp to keep the creep wave near your tower. Just need to not get hooked. A protective ward would help. Lion can benefit from farm anyway. WW should be able to harass with her Q and save Lion from PA with her E. She is my favorite babysitter right now. Lion can suck off Pudge to keep his mana down and you would just need to make sure to control the top rune. Smart, safe plays can win you that lane. If you play passively enough there is a good chance that that PA gets antsy and makes an ill advised dive and feeds you a kill.

Pudge PA is as garbage of a lane as Drow Warlord, really. You might be playing with idiots, but they come on both teams. It is a common instinct to look at your team and assume that they are all dumb/bad, but the reality is that you are being matched with them for a reason. It is also super common to think that you are a "smart" player who might not be good "mechanically" yet. Everybody who is new to the game thinks that!

My point is that most games are winnable and you are not going to improve as much as a player if you spend more time blaming your teammates than you do thinking about what you could have done better. Finding ways to win games like the one you described is precisely how you raise your MMR.

PS. Don't think that Ranked is somehow a bastion of intelligent, courteous players. It's the same dudes.

Trickster

WW Lion can actually handle PA Pudge all right in lane. You can side pull the jungle camp to keep the creep wave near your tower. Just need to not get hooked. A protective ward would help. Lion can benefit from farm anyway. WW should be able to harass with her Q and save Lion from PA with her E. She is my favorite babysitter right now. Lion can suck off Pudge to keep his mana down and you would just need to make sure to control the top rune. Smart, safe plays can win you that lane. If you play passively enough there is a good chance that that PA gets antsy and makes an ill advised dive and feeds you a kill.

Pudge PA is as garbage of a lane as Drow Warlord, really. You might be playing with idiots, but they come on both teams. It is a common instinct to look at your team and assume that they are all dumb/bad, but the reality is that you are being matched with them for a reason. It is also super common to think that you are a "smart" player who might not be good "mechanically" yet. Everybody who is new to the game thinks that!

My point is that most games are winnable and you are not going to improve as much as a player if you spend more time blaming your teammates than you do thinking about what you could have done better. Finding ways to win games like the one you described is precisely how you raise your MMR.

PS. Don't think that Ranked is somehow a bastion of intelligent, courteous players. It's the same dudes.

Hmm, I suppose you're right. I definitely won't pretend to have a good grasp yet, of how to deal with all the various heroes in the game. Pudge especially. So far he has just been one of those heroes that keep popping up on the opponents team and the proceed to be this beefy hero that my team can't seem to deal with.

Hmm, I suppose you're right. I definitely won't pretend to have a good grasp yet, of how to deal with all the various heroes in the game. Pudge especially. So far he has just been one of those heroes that keep popping up on the opponents team and the proceed to be this beefy hero that my team can't seem to deal with.

Wards are your best friend against Pudge. Denying him snipes in the early game makes him largely worthless. Items and abilities that reduce armor also help, and lots of physical damage. Vision is super important for a lot of reasons, but especially important vs. Pudge.

Also: don't focus him first in big teamfights.

Falk

that puzzling face
Obviously. I'm just saying that it's physically impossible to not be utter garbage below 500h.

Not exactly DotA2, but I used to work at an online games portal where the official ruling was 'no DotA during work hours' but practically 5pm on the dot, there'd be a couple of 5.84c rooms up on the LAN. Except the Creative dept, which were a bunch of wankers and had DotA going nonstop almost all day every day.

They were still god-awful with how much they played. You aren't wrong though - up till today I still think it was a physical impossibility, in the flesh.

Pudge is a pretty scary side laner ever since his hook range got buffed honestly. I don't enjoy laning against him either unless it's mid. Nobody on my bracket ever plays him mid though. :/

abunai

Have the GD studio even set up their new house yet? I remember seeing a moving-in video but nothing really came after that (which isn't a surprise).

Trickster

Wards are your best friend against Pudge. Denying him snipes in the early game makes him largely worthless. Items and abilities that reduce armor also help, and lots of physical damage. Vision is super important for a lot of reasons, but especially important vs. Pudge.

Also: don't focus him first in big teamfights.

Yeah I did just that. Bought a ward to place in the forest for vision. However he can still hide on the nooks and crannies where the wards doesn't get vision, which can make keeping track of him a bit tricky even with the ward.

And the part of about denying him early game snipes is hard to prevent if it's my teammates and not me that continue to get hooked most of the time :(

ViviOggi

Have the GD studio even set up their new house yet? I remember seeing a moving-in video but nothing really came after that (which isn't a surprise).
They hosted a Homestory-style Hearthstone tournament two months or so ago and I remember watching a tour video as well (might just have been the moving in vid, on mobile atm). Yames is apparently busy working on Reborn? Either way no GD EU hub would be insanely sad, I lived for that shit

shira

Nope. You are ignoring the bump which will happen next Monday. However, due to the log curve, we might end at 12-13 million, so not too far from last year's prize pool, but still above in the end.

I'm almost certain they have a trump card to boost sales over 15 million so everyone gets the Axe Immortal/comic.
Elsewise that Axe could be a nice TI5 Secret Shop exclusive gift like the Witchslayers.

Noooooooo
I was going to have vp but then shira posted that stupid rave emblem thing
Damnit shira

salty.gif
salty.gif
salty.gif

shira

$79k D2CL5 Berlin May 9-10 Q: Burden, Empire, NIP, VG
t1431165600z1.png

$88k RedBull SF May 10 Q: iG, Secret
t1431288000z4.png

$266k TS3 LA May 13-17 Q: VG, Rave, Secret, C9, NoT, LGD, iG, EG
t1431536400z1.png

TI5 Open Qualifiers: May 15-17 +4
t1431745200z1.png

$417k, i-League 3 May 19-24 Q: LGD, Tinker, MY, [A], TT +3
t1432058400z1.png

TI5 Qualifiers: May 26-29 +8
last week of may

$90k WCA-NA Burbank Jun 2 Q: NoT, Summer
t1433271600z4.png

$101k, MLG2: Austin Jun 4-7 Q: Empire, EG, MY +5
$322k MarsTV Shanghai June 3-7 Q: LGD, Cloud9 +6
t1433437200z1.png

$100k, DH Jonkoping Jun 13-16 Q: +6
t1434214800z1.png

$250k, ESL1 Frankfurt Jun 20-21 Q: EG, VG, Secret, VP, [A], C9, iG, MY
t1434819600z1.png

$89k, WCA-CN Jul 4-6 Q: +4
t1435932000z1.png

IHL2 Grand Final Jul 17-19 Q: +2
t1437163200z4.png

$6400k TI5 Seattle Jul 28 - Aug 8 Q: VG, EG, Secret, LGD, C9, VP, MY, RAVE, iG, Empire +6
t1438110000z4.png

WCA - PAX Aug 28-31
t1440788400z4.png

kionedrik

The Gyro buff really baffled me since he was already so strong and the only thing that kept him out of the public eye was the meta that wasn't favorable to him.

330 magic damage at level 1 with no cast point is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom