• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 BETA 2 |OT10| Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I can't even think of how to start a graph comparing Deso and Maelstrom, they have such different effects.

I feel its going to be the simple thing of "Deso is better for single target, Maelstorm for AoE". Deso basically applies -50% EHP though. 2000 HP hero will lose 960 EHP under Deso's effect.

Artanisix

You could force baseline armor of 0/5/10, single target only, no AOE damage taken into effect, at all levels of ulti. That's how I would do it anyway

maelstrom and deso don't have the same purpose though
maelstrom is better for pushing lanes, farming stacks, teamfights
deso is better for pushing towers, farming stuff like ancients, doing rosh, and solo kills rather than teamfights, although it's still pretty good in teamfights too because you kill one target faster giving less time for the enemy to react or save them

the 25 attack speed on maelstrom helps farm a bit too, you ain't gonna ult creeps anyway

Worse on PA, half of her hero gets reduced to a creep.
PA had many counters even before silver edge though. Thinking lina's aghs, qop's ult, that kinda jazz

Hylian7

Worse on PA, half of her hero gets reduced to a creep.

I'd say it's really about the same for both, maybe slightly more for PA just because it takes her ultimate away.

With Void a lot of his damage comes from the double damage bashes under Chrono. I played a game as Drow against one with Silver Edge and I would just wait for him to Chrono, and then boom, just blow him up instantly. Either that or just find him first if I could and just Silver Edge into silence and he's dead.

For single target deso must win by a fair margin
50 vs 24 damage
maelstrom AS doesn't matter with ult
chain lightning deals ok damage but it's only 25% so that makes it way less impressive
maelstrom has no -armor

JC Sera

DotaGaf I need your help
I'm making a pretty simple guide for newbs on hero difficulty because this one is laughably out of date
I referred to it a lot when I started out however and it still had its uses

I think I got a good base for this one and its visually very straight forward and simple,
but I definitely see my own biases in ranking of difficulty in what I have and I want an outside perspective
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f1j3ap7iqbt3d1q/DOPA.pdf?dl=0
Its not finished yet because putting the pictures in so they are nice an ordered is a bit of a pain, and I wan't to get the ordering done before I continue

lotsa love for any help
bts_lina.gif

DotaGaf I need your help
I'm making a pretty simple guide for newbs on hero difficulty because this one is laughably out of date

I think I got a good base for this one and its visually very straight forward and simple,
but I definitely see my own biases in ranking of difficulty in what I have and I want an outside perspective
Its not finished yet because putting the pictures in so they are nice an ordered is a bit of a pain, and I wan't to get the ordering done before I continue

lotsa love for any help
bts_lina.gif

spectre being harder than meepo, this guide is nice
Emoticon_horse.gif

can't help you though, dropbox is blocked here

edit : that's blocked too heh
re-edit : google docs is blocked too anyways, these assholes block most hosting sites

Hylian7

DotaGaf I need your help

lotsa love for any help
bts_lina.gif

Took a brief gander at it, a few suggestions:

- Move Shadow Shaman to Tier 2, I'm sure he's probably under 3 because a channeling spell is easy for a new player to fuck up, but I think Shackles is pretty clear in what it does that people will get the idea of channeling with it pretty quickly.
- Move Tidehunter to Tier 2 as well, hero has a pretty straightforward ultimate that's great for learning about initiation, as well as good survivability.
- Tinker needs to go down to Tier 4, or even arguably Tier 5. It really takes a lot of knowledge to use him properly, and then being able to internalize everything you have to do with him can be a pretty daunting task, probably even up there with microing Meepo.
- Timbersaw can probably go in Tier 3, he's not a terribly difficult hero to learn to play in my opinion, just requires smart management, as any of the heroes in the previous tiers do.
- Visage can seem intimidating, but I think he can go in Tier 4 instead of Tier 5. I mean if Lone Druid is Tier 4, I think surely Visage is. If your argument for it is the weirdness of his spells though (soul charges for Soul Assumption, the layers of Gravekeepers Cloak, micromanaging flying units that could be potentially on opposite sides of the map) then I can see your argument for making him Tier 5.

JC Sera

Took a brief gander at it, a few suggestions:

- Move Shadow Shaman to Tier 2, I'm sure he's probably under 3 because a channeling spell is easy for a new player to fuck up, but I think Shackles is pretty clear in what it does that people will get the idea of channeling with it pretty quickly.
- Move Tidehunter to Tier 2 as well, hero has a pretty straightforward ultimate that's great for learning about initiation, as well as good survivability.
- Tinker needs to go down to Tier 4, or even arguably Tier 5. It really takes a lot of knowledge to use him properly, and then being able to internalize everything you have to do with him can be a pretty daunting task, probably even up there with microing Meepo.
- Timbersaw can probably go in Tier 3, he's not a terribly difficult hero to learn to play in my opinion, just requires smart management, as any of the heroes in the previous tiers do.
- Visage can seem intimidating, but I think he can go in Tier 4 instead of Tier 5. I mean if Lone Druid is Tier 4, I think surely Visage is. If your argument for it is the weirdness of his spells though (soul charges for Soul Assumption, the layers of Gravekeepers Cloak, micromanaging flying units that could be potentially on opposite sides of the map) then I can see your argument for making him Tier 5.
– Already done 1) at the advice of a friend
– I can definitely see the justification for tidehunter, will move him
– My 2-2.5k friend can play tinker efficiently so thats where I was coming from. I can see him being 4 but nowhere near 5. I think 6.81 tinker is what I was thinking of, this automated process pushing tinker being tier 3. 6.84 post-nerf ganking and killing tinker I can definitely see as 4, now that I think about it.
– I still feel timbersaw is 4
– Lone druid doesn't have two bears with an activate-able ability.

Hylian7

– Already done 1) at the advice of a friend
– I can definitely see the justification for tidehunter, will move him
– My 2-2.5k friend can play tinker efficiently so thats where I was coming from. I can see him being 4 but nowhere near 5. I think 6.81 tinker is what I was thinking of, this automated process pushing tinker being tier 3. 6.84 post-nerf ganking and killing tinker I can definitely see as 4, now that I think about it.
– Lone druid doesn't have two bears with an activate-able ability.

I still think it's important to be good with so many items on Tinker nowadays that he should at least be in a Tier 4 for sure. Scythe is still great on Tinker, no matter when you get it in the game, and efficient Scythe use is pretty make-or-break in games with him.

As for Lone Druid, he doesn't have two things to micro, however the bear is worth 300 gold and bodyblocking with the bear, using Return effectively, as well as items on it (Phase Boots will probably be most common), and other aspects of it are very important for learning to play the hero. I mean a lot of times, if that bear dies and your summon is on cooldown, you're basically useless.

Timber is pretty easy imo, tier 4 seems a bit extreme. He's gimmicky, sure, but not hard to play. He also doesn't get many active items until pretty late (mostly tank/mana regen early/mid). Also has no micro.
It's all about landing timberchain and managing your mana while spamming shit

JC Sera

I still think it's important to be good with so many items on Tinker nowadays that he should at least be in a Tier 4 for sure. Scythe is still great on Tinker, no matter when you get it in the game, and efficient Scythe use is pretty make-or-break in games with him.

As for Lone Druid, he doesn't have two things to micro, however the bear is worth 300 gold and bodyblocking with the bear, using Return effectively, as well as items on it (Phase Boots will probably be most common), and other aspects of it are very important for learning to play the hero. I mean a lot of times, if that bear dies and your summon is on cooldown, you're basically useless.
I agree on tinker and have moved him.
Still don't on Lone Druid being 5 or Visage being 4. I would argue the birds are just important to visage and just as devastating to lose, are internally more complex, give lots of gold also and most importantly are waaaaaaaaaay squishier than the bear.
Timber is pretty easy imo, tier 4 seems a bit extreme. He's gimmicky, sure, but not hard to play. He also doesn't get many active items until pretty late (mostly tank/mana regen early/mid). Also has no micro.
It's all about landing timberchain and managing your mana while spamming shit
Thats 3 people telling me to move him to 3, and seeing as I've never played him(well) I'll reluctantly agree.
crazy.gif

JambiBum

Damn dude

Im 30 hours in and havent even seen half of the Velen map

To many quests and dungeons to explore

Gotta remember that Novigrad is part of Velen. Novigrad is the largest city in the game and is almost a completely different experience than the rest of the map. It's a claustrophobic close quarters type of area compared to the open areas of the rest of the game. Fuck Skellige though, even if it is gorgeous.

I agree on tinker and have moved him.
Still don't on Lone Druid being 5 or Visage being 4. I would argue the birds are just important to visage and just as devastating to lose, are internally more complex, give lots of gold also and most importantly are waaaaaaaaaay squishier than the bear.
But lone druid IS the bear. Without the bear you generally have to back because the hero does nothing, most his items are on the bear. The bear is also easily controlled and can be targeted by spells whereas visage birds need to be attacked with auto attacks and can't be controlled. Visage also doesn't need to be close to the birds, the birds can become invulnerable, and if they die visage can still spam soul assumptions and grave chills, it's better than nothing.

Thats 3 people telling me to move him to 3, and seeing as I've never played him(well) I'll reluctantly agree.
crazy.gif
He's easy to learn and hard to master, that's 3 to me on a 1-5 scale. 1 would be easy to learn and master, 5 being (very) hard to learn and master (invoker, mapo, etc)

JC Sera

But lone druid IS the bear. Without the bear you generally have to back because the hero does nothing, most his items are on the bear. The bear is also easily controlled and can be targeted by spells whereas visage birds need to be attacked with auto attacks and can't be controlled. Visage also doesn't need to be close to the birds, the birds can become invulnerable, and if they die visage can still spam soul assumptions and grave chills, it's better than nothing.
hmmmm
For some reason in my head I have visage amongst the most difficult of heroes
while LD can be played by
bulldong
people who can't play meepo/invoker/visage/chen

however I can't think of any particular justification or reason against what you guys are saying

this one is mostly looking like a bias on my part. Should I put LD up to 5? I'm definitely not putting Visage down to 4.
He's easy to learn and hard to master, that's 3 to me on a 1-5 scale. 1 would be easy to learn and master, 5 being (very) hard to learn and master (invoker, mapo, etc)
Ah. Thats not be all and end all of this guide. Heres the labels for the heroes I put in it (tl;dr waring)
Niche (❤︎)
These are heroes that don’t exactly fit well into the roles carry/support or you have to play them a certain way that may you may find unintuitive or esoteric. Their difficulty stems from you have to learn them essential from the base up and not apply the rules and method of other heroes to them. On the flip side most of these heroes are very interesting, and people find themselves falling in love with their unique play style.

Bungler (✖︎)
This is a hero that can mess up your teammates’ day. They are usually heroes that have abilities which can change your teammates’ position, or accidentally disable them. They also can have abilities which just backfire on you. For example one bad chronosphere can get your entire team killed and even loose you the game. Avoid these heroes like the plague if you are just starting out.

Highly farm dependant (✦)
Heroes in this category aren’t necessarily just carries. Some carries are not going to be in this category if they can bounce back pretty easily. The heroes in this category require you to have farming down 100% and absolutely need items to be effective.

Skill Shot (✔︎)
Heroes in this category have skill shot. However this doesn’t exactly mean new players can’t play them; if you have a good sense of timing and space feel free to try these heroes out. Just try them out in a bot match first.

Micromanagement (❖)
Some heroes have abilities which allow them to control other units leading to having to manage multiple units. In Dota this is very difficult, micromanagement heroes are considered some of the hardest. They should be the last heroes you try when starting. However people with experience in RTS games like Starcraft & Warcraft may find them not as difficult. Make sure to go into your advanced control setting and set up your group unit controls when attempting these heroes.

Combo/High Skill (✱)
These heroes have many abilities, and these abilities may be used in several combinations to achieve different affects. Their abilities may also have a high burden of knowledge or insanely quick reflexes to use correctly. Heroes in this category require a very high level of skill and deep understanding of the game from the player.

ViviOggi

Warlock and Omni practically play themselves, should be moved down to tier 2 imo, Slardar and Spirit Breaker are very straightforward heroes as well. Lich is babby's first support, ez tier 1.
I'd also consider bumping up Razor to tier 3 due to his unusual kit/playstyle, but he's kind of between 2 and 3 so either works.

^ no way Lone Druid is 5

TUSR

Banned
Warlock and Omni practically play themselves, should be moved down to tier 2 imo, Slardar and Spirit Breaker are very straightforward heroes as well. Lich is babby's first support, ez tier 1.
I'd also consider bumping up Razor to tier 3 due to his unusual kit/playstyle, but he's kind of between 2 and 3 so either works.

^ no way Lone Druid is 5

if inkls can play LD hes more like a 3 right?

JC Sera

^ no way Lone Druid is 5
Weirdly in the potato tier slardar is a hero I see people play wrong a lot. Also seeing how dependent he is on his blink with not the best farming potential is what pushed him up.
SB uniqueness and well, ability to easily feed in the wrong hands is why I pushed him up from 2. Definitely will move Lich down. Razor I feel is a really easy hero to learn, but more importantly very forgiving which is why I put him in tier 2.
if inkls can play LD hes more like a 3 right?
dac15_embarrass.gif

For some reason I can play Meepo and some other micro heroes but I freeze up when I try to play LD (bear's worth shitloads of money so I guess I'm more nervous)

Also I like the colours in that guide. Nicer than just a wall of black text on white background.

(Also Riki is typoed in the Dropbox guide at least and it looks like you forgot Bristleback)

JC Sera

For some reason I can play Meepo and some other micro heroes but I freeze up when I try to play LD (bear's worth shitloads of money so I guess I'm more nervous)

Also I like the colours in that guide. Nicer than just a wall of black text on white background.
thanks a lot
blush.gif

tbf I like the dotabuff blog's posts. And purges guide is now a white background :p
Purges guide is now 5x more visually appealing than the original one.

edit: yeah
I misspell his name a lot, bristle added to tier 2

►New Meta
ZkLGiB5.png

Even skadi would be more useful on him, I don't see the health regen really being that useful on a lion, while skadi AS/MS slow would be nice, also more mana to spam his shit (and he needs it)
edit : it's this game
no hex, refresher, aghs, carries the gem (bh should have it imo). Am confuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom