• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 BETA 2 |OT10| Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont like it

reminds me of bh a little
anuxi_rum.gif

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
naga siren support kinda fun actually. really enjoy listening to her chatter

bounchfx

just played a game against an octarine core naga with radiance

i think i want to uninstall now
i have never felt so claustrophobic

five illusions every 15 seconds coming right at us

bounchfx

Original idea do not steal
Fuck this dude for stealing a joke made by valve that buzzed, hope it never makes it in

honestly, I agree. I think they did a fantastic job bringing it to life, but the fact that it was pretty much just directly lifted from valve leaves a strange taste in my mouth. Still awesome though.

JC Sera

Isn't that the same guy who didn't have his polar bear courier in the game because it had a hockey stick

but the nexon bird courier could have a skateboard?

Acinixys

honestly, I agree. I think they did a fantastic job bringing it to life, but the fact that it was pretty much just directly lifted from valve leaves a strange taste in my mouth. Still awesome though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Valve say "fuck you lol we using that now" and make their own

See:

DotaCinema Blackhole that Valve recreated themselves as this years high level enigma reward

DC:

671FAEDC6652BB8F68D1C6038335F946BF4D9559

Valve:

L1jpSGJ.png

JC Sera

I wouldn't be surprised if Valve say "fuck you lol we using that now" and make their own

See:

DotaCinema Blackhole that Valve recreated themselves as this years high level enigma reward

DC:

Valve:

L1jpSGJ.png
yeah when that item came out my first thought was
grave.gif
DC ultimate chest

Acinixys

This is beyond the scope of a random workshop contributor, imo. Give him the opportunity and let him animate for Valve directly, either to help create new heroes or as part of remaking older heroes or something.

I dunno man. Like Anuxi hes freelance. Hes already made a shit load of workshop items. I guess hat makers have to do stuff like this to get noticed in a super over saturated market

The fact that he made new animations for basically everything is pretty insane though

yeah when that item came out my first thought was
grave.gif
DC ultimate chest

Valve one looks like a piss whirlpool. I like DCs better

bounchfx

they did it with a hand ward I made, very similar to the one they just released haha

This is beyond the scope of a random workshop contributor, imo. Give him the opportunity and let him animate for Valve directly, either to help create new heroes or as part of remaking older heroes or something.
I guess hat makers have to do stuff like this to get noticed in a super over saturated market

I wouldn't say it's beyond the scope of what other workshoppers can do at all, the only thing he added was a lot of animations. Most people just don't go this far because there's no support for it, and it's usually a complete waste of time. but like Acinixys says - a lot of workshoppers are going super over the top with stuff now because it's one of the only ways to even get attention. The bar is so high that many people just throw shit at the wall and hope valve break their own workshop rules and put the stuff in. It's an interesting time, haha.

that being said, Vidotto is an awesome guy and he did a great job with it.

See:

DC:

Valve:

L1jpSGJ.png

no way the DC one looks like a generic color swap, the valve one is a killa

Acinixys

I wouldn't say it's beyond the scope of what other workshoppers can do at all, the only thing he added was a lot of animations. Most people just don't go this far because there's no support for it, and it's usually a complete waste of time.

I feel that you guys are getting screwed by all their stupid restrictions. No new animations or particles must throttle you heavily in a creative sense.

I can only hope that in 25 years when Source 2 releases they have a much better workshop support

bounchfx

I feel that you guys are getting screwed by all their stupid restrictions. No new animations or particles must throttle you heavily in a creative sense.

I can only hope that in 25 years when Source 2 releases they have a much better workshop support

well, there's pros and cons. for particles it's mainly because of the readability of the game afaik. If we shit up every single item with flashy bits then the game is going to be difficult to understand what's happening on screen sometimes. And considering most of the audience wants flashy shit everywhere, it can be a slippery slope.

for animation it's kind of in between. I do think there should be more animation support. I think there isn't right now because maybe the systems aren't in place and there's worry that it might be game breaking, as at a high level of play animations can tell a lot.

but right now though yes, it is annoying to be told by valve not to do something, only for someone to go do it anyway, and potentially be rewarded. then then rest of us are like wait - what? but it is a risk, and there's nothing wrong with someone doing it if they understand that and decide they want to put their time into it. I just wish valve had more clear rules.

kionedrik

I still think changing animations, adding particle effects and swapping color pallets of heroes and abilities is something that should never have been done. The game relies too much on the visual recognition of what's happening on-screen and changing how those the visual cues will only lead to confusion and make it harder and harder to perceive what is going on.

Right now we only have a few handful of items that can do this and I understand the arguments of people complaining that it's becoming to hard to understand what's going on, and going forward this effect will only worsen as more and more game-changing items get added.

As I've said before, the golden black hole and golden eclipse set a very dangerous precedent, besides the fact that their animations completely overlap what was going on (or at least they used to when they were released).

teach me ur ways senpai-san~~
BrokeBack.png

Plz dont:

- feed
- split push without tp
- split push when 3-5 heroes are not visible on the map
- lose your lane even though you have the stronger lane
- give the enemy off laner free xp when you could zone him out ezly
- stand mid not doing anything
- waste your time not farming when nothing's happening
- make space for me so I can farm and win the game
- show on the map when you are a bounty, a nyx or anything that instill fear by actually being off the map
- panic and just use your skills before you die. I can't count the times where my buddies literally didn't press a single button in their state of panic and just...died? Keep calm.
- forget to buy smokes
- miss last hits if you are not under tower
- sit behind me as a supp in lane not doing anything worthwhile
- be aggressive at level 1 or 2 when we have better lvl 1/2 heroes but where things turn around once the enemy lane gets to lvl 3+

I love playing with them. It's just that I think there are so basic things they could do that would make them 500 MMR better at an instant if they listened to me lol.

panic ults are the fucking worst
oh hey tidehunter it's a shame you don't have ravage for that high ground defense, if only you had not used it just before dying to a 3 man gank there was no way turning back

Some things that grind my gears when I'm playing with some of my friends are:

- Supports not buying wards. It's a 75 gold item ffs.
- Not bringing/planting observer wards when pushing
- Not buying any detection because "I have no space" but clearly your stout shield and circlet is more important
- Playing as supports and standing in lane not doing anything. Oh you have 2 clarity potions, I guess you will save it for midgame?
- Playing supports but rushing aghs and dagons
- Farming the jungle when we are supposed to push

You learn to live with it especially since these are my IRL friends.

things that happen often but I'm ok with:

- Throwing the game by "saving" a hero that is caught off-position and then coming 1 by 1 to die.
It's just funny sometimes and we all acknowledge that we need to work up on it.

bounchfx

I still think changing animations, adding particle effects and swapping color pallets of heroes and abilities is something that should never have been done. The game relies too much on the visual recognition of what's happening on-screen and changing how those the visual cues will only lead to confusion and make it harder and harder to perceive what is going on.

completely agree.

but there's people that are willing to pay up the ass to look 'cool' and different from everyone else, and so in the effort to make money valve concedes and allows stuff like this. It's not out of nowhere so much as these things getting ridiculous exposure and outcry from the community to be accepted. I do wish Valve would have at least stayed strict with their policies so we know exactly what we have to work with and so everyone has the same expectations.

at this point I just hope we don't go down this path further than we already have, but I'm fairly certain with Source 2 we will see some particle treasure packs and maybe even finally official animation support. If anything winds up REALLY breaking the game I'm sure people will throw a giff diretide though.

kionedrik

completely agree.

but there's people that are willing to pay up the ass to look 'cool' and different from everyone else, and so in the effort to make money valve concedes and allows stuff like this. It's not out of nowhere so much as these things getting ridiculous exposure and outcry from the community to be accepted. I do wish Valve would have at least stayed strict with their policies so we know exactly what we have to work with and so everyone has the same expectations.

at this point I just hope we don't go down this path further than we already have, but I'm fairly certain with Source 2 we will see some particle treasure packs and maybe even finally official animation support. If anything winds up REALLY breaking the game I'm sure people will throw a giff diretide though.

There's too much money to be had in the cosmetics business and Valve became a money-hungry machine. They understand that if a hero is popular, either by being a patch sweetheart or something a fan-favorite player plays, they need to release sets/arcanas/whatever to cash in on that popularity. From a business point-of-view it makes perfect sense but they are the developers and they should first look at how those new additions impact the game. Sadly I don't think they are doing this, hence the shift in policies.

Do you really think people would rally against Valve? I have my doubts. Just look at what's happening right now. People aren't rallying against PA/CM/etc sets/arcanas, they are complaining that the hero X, Y or Z don't have them. If I was a betting man I would bet that it will only get worse before it gets better. I hope I'm wrong on this subject.

I'd like the following option to be implemented:
[ ] Allow all cosmetics
[ ] Allow only my cosmetics
[ ] Disable all cosmetics

At the very least everyone is happy this way. I'd only see what I want to see, be it default skins or the clusterfuck that hats are becoming.

I'd like the following option to be implemented:
[ ] Allow all cosmetics
[ ] Allow only my cosmetics
[ ] Disable all cosmetics

At the very least everyone is happy this way. I'd only see what I want to see, be it default skins or the clusterfuck that hats are becoming.
Not happening. People who buy cosmetics buy them for themselves and to show them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom