• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 BETA 2 |OT10| Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckoner

I only said that 'cause when I upgrade my GTX980 and monitor it will be directly to 4k. I don't feel like I really need the upgrade now considering the costs.

Sort of the same arguments over again, didn't mean to start them up again.

I do honestly think, sort of related, that the concept of addiction or practices that appeal to addictive tendencies should be looked at.

Feels like Valve helps to encourage them.

Even if the vast majority of developers genuinely care about their fans and do what they do out of passion, it's a mistake to think any company is looking out for your best interests, because they're not. It's not an anti-corporate spiel, it's just frustrating to see people constantly set themselves up for disappointment.

But anyways, it gets into a gray area because ultimately it becomes about whether someone is manipulating people into buying stuff they don't really want and whether or not anything people buy actually has any value. That's just a general discussion on capitalism, plus it's for items that 99% of the player base isn't interested in.

The aegis replica is probably the most blatant whale-targeted thing I've seen Valve do, but I'm more interested in what it means for future Valve tournaments. Will every major have a similar compendium system? What does that mean for future prizepools at TI? (even if the total prizes for all majors combined is higher, is it okay for the TI prizepool to be lower next year) Will there be any fatigue from the sort of whales who spend extravagant amounts of money? I feel like if Valve wants to continue to expand the crowdfunding model in this direction there are a lot of questions that spring up, similar to how videogame kickstarters have evolved in the last couple of years.

Well, it turns out that going 17-0 through mid-game with Gyro pretty much means you are going to lose the game. Sample size: two games in a row. In both games everyone on my team went negative stats and ran around like headless chickens dying over and over again. These were 4500 mmr games. Couldn't stop laughing. This game.

Ck can't even get respect when it comes to heroes he fucks hard.
Because he always finds a way to fuck it up.

I hope his crit gets replaced by something more unique and impactful. Also I still think his illus shouldn't be affected by Lion mana drain etc, the long duration is irrelevant when they're so easy to neutralize.

Artanisix

Lina and Qop don't counter Huskar
DansGame.png
. If you're holding your Qop ulti until after Huskar gets ridiculously low then you've already lost the teamfight.

Huskar is like the surprise Gyroball moveset on your slow as fuck Steelix who one-shots enemy Aerodactyls and Meinshaos. Yeah, he has his counters... but guess what? Most of the popular heroes in this meta do not counter Huskar. This makes him an extremely powerful last pick right now. He won't run away with the championship at TI5, but he'll definitely get picked as teams have finally, finally started experimenting and winning with him. I pulled some data from datdota of popular competitive heroes right now:

Popular competitive heroes that struggle against him (not necessarily in lane but in game):
Gyrocopter
Earthshaker
Rubick
Queen of Pain
Leshrac
Clockwerk
Witch Doctor
Disruptor
Wisp
Storm Spirit
Drow Ranger
Phoenix
Puck
Zeus
Sand King
Antimage
Undying

etc...

Popular competitive heroes that do counter him:
Lion (mass ranged hard disable)
Phantom Lancer
Shadow Demon
Viper
Razor
Windranger
Winter Wyvern
Broodmother
Templar Assassin

Popular competitive heroes that are not advantaged or disadvantaged:
Shadow Fiend
Lina
Bloodseeker
Slark

AA is not a popular pick at all so the chances of seeing him before your Huskar pick is quite low.

So you can see that he does very, very well against most of the competitive cast right now, and you can build your team to cover your weaknesses. I'd say the biggest pro counter to Huskar right now is PL. He's the only real threat that Huskar can't check or build items to close the disadvantage gap.

I feel like this 1000 level compendium is a little tricky. I'm not mad at Valve as they are better than 98% of companies. However, for people with obsessive issues it could lead to spending disposable income they don't have.

I mean, literally all of my disposable income goes to Dota already. Now I'm looking for a way to make an extra $200 in the next 30 days. So in a way it's actually pushing me to be more productive.

kionedrik

I mean, literally all of my disposable income goes to Dota already. Now I'm looking for a way to make an extra $200 in the next 30 days. So in a way it's actually pushing me to be more productive.

I sincerely hope you're exaggerating about the bolded part.

Wok

Do not rob a bank.

Haunted

I seem to recall that when the Doom Aghs upgrade was introduced (changed?) a bunch of people said it was pretty much useless.

Opinions have changed since then?

inkls

I seem to recall that when the Doom Aghs upgrade was introduced (changed?) a bunch of people said it was pretty much useless.

Opinions have changed since then?

people said that all the time, even when pro players started to pick it up normally in their doom builds, now that doom doesn't disable passives by default its pretty shit until you get aghs.

It WAS complete garbage since the only thing it used to change was a slight damage buff and the fact that it wouldn't count down when Doom was close, that's not why people get aghs nowadays.

inkls

It WAS complete garbage since the only thing it used to change was a slight damage buff and the fact that it wouldn't count down when Doom was close, that's not why people get aghs nowadays.

I'm gonna call bullshit, if it was garbage, why was it picked up so much in the summit 1? That being before the ti4-ish doom nerfs. If aghs was garbage, then pro wouldn't have built it on the hero not only in the offlane but also in the carry position.

at the time doom was also magic dmg so it could be reduced by pipe and aghless doom made it impossible to kill anti-mage for example. Aghs doom meant it was impossible to tank through it regardless of how tanky you were

I'm gonna call bullshit, if it was garbage, why was it picked up so much in the summit 1? That being before the ti4-ish doom nerfs. If aghs was garbage, then pro wouldn't have built it on the hero not only in the offlane but also in the carry position.

at the time doom was also magic dmg so it could be reduced by pipe and aghless doom made it impossible to kill anti-mage for example. Aghs doom meant it was impossible to tank through it regardless of how tanky you were

Do you have any proof of this? I can't find that info and I don't remember that happening.

inkls

Do you have any proof of this? I can't find that info and I don't remember that happening.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find a way for datdota of dotabuff to show me the items for doom for each game in a torunament unless I manually go through them which would be troublesome with ti4 since doom was picked 136 times.

Aghs is a pretty nice item even when the ult upgrade isn't great just because it gives you a bunch of... everything. I could see some players just grabbing it because they don't need any specific aura item at the time and want some stats. Especially on Doom, who uses a bit of everything, I could see that.

just buy an ultimate orb then
don't

people who rush aghs because they have no fucking clue what to make on the hero (hello lion players, fuck blink amirite) are the fucking worst

don't

people who rush aghs because they have no fucking clue what to make on the hero (hello lion players, fuck blink amirite) are the fucking worst

I don't disagree, but there are a handful of heroes that can basically build whatever the fuck they want (especially on certain patches), and in that case there are worse pick ups than Aghs.

Lion aghs is fucking trash

lion aghs is ok but should never be rushed unless you play with the best mag or enigma in the world ie never
blink and some utlity before is always better, usually blink force for me

I played support for a team with a Viper and Sven and we realized that we needed to be smart and play for mid game and we did. Unprecedented plays.

don't

What about WD not supporting because he needs to rush AGHS against a team of disablers and then abandons after dying over and over again.
stunned.gif

52club

Do you really have to struggle thinking about it? Fuck buying shit to prove you are part of something unless you want to support it.

Eat some good food at home watching TI, hand out some gifts or something.
Upgrade your PC instead

Normally I'd agree on upgrading my PC, but I am ok with my 770 and my 1200p monitor until at least winter. I was mainly debating on buying it to support Valve and the team that works on DOTA 2, not so much of wanting to prove I am a part of something. Like I said for me it is a little too much. I'll be curious how much demand there will be and how well valve does delivering a physical item like that.

iamblades

What about if they last pick him? Assuming he is not banned in the drafting phase yet

If you last pick him when the enemy went too magic heavy, he us a free 25 minute win. However 9/10 games huskar is a terrible pick.

He is a situational pick for when the enemy picks no pure damage and only one hard physical dpser.

This is rare, especially currently with the popularity of Lina and qop.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Normally I'd agree on upgrading my PC, but I am ok with my 770 and my 1200p monitor until at least winter. I was mainly debating on buying it to support Valve and the team that works on DOTA 2, not so much of wanting to prove I am a part of something. Like I said for me it is a little too much. I'll be curious how much demand there will be and how well valve does delivering a physical item like that.
You can buy my stuff from last TI, how about that.

Purchasing comment wasn't directed at you BTW.

iamblades

enigma tips? Is the hero just useless if you don't land awesome black holes?

No, you just have to use your early level and farm advantage to get shit down and push down towers with eidolons.

This is also why mek is a better first item than blink.

Black hole is the bonus that makes the enemy scared to contest your early push, its not what you should rely on.

enigma tips? Is the hero just useless if you don't land awesome black holes?
He's way more than that. He puts a lot of pressure on your opponents early on with the level advantage you got from farming so fast and pushing with your eidolons+Mek. It's not only the black hole, the threat of the black hole causes opponents to be more careful whenever it's up and lets you control space, because if they're not careful they're all dead. Both his E and R are excellent ways to control space.

But it is true that you have to make your opponents respect your black hole, meaning that you have to land a good one if they're not positioning themselves well enough. There is no reason to force a black hole if you can't get a good one, as it's way better to still have your black hole ready than it is to have it on cooldown because you felt forced to use it. Without BH Enigma isn't more than an annoyance during fights.

Hylian7

No, you just have to use your early level and farm advantage to get shit down and push down towers with eidolons.

This is also why mek is a better first item than blink.

Black hole is the bonus that makes the enemy scared to contest your early push, its not what you should rely on.

I disagree, I generally have more success just going straight for the Soul Ring > Boots > Blink. I honestly don't see the value in Mek as it just delays your Blink or BKB or both.

Sure, but you are going to have to fight them, and you need Blink and most likely BKB too for that. Better to let someone else get your Mek if you want to do that.

If you're picking enigma, I would hope your team can do something for the whole "fight them" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom