• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 BETA 2 |OT10| Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian7

14 minute GG? I haven't even seen that in pubs. Has this ever happened on tournament level before?

I seriously doubt you haven't seen someone call gg at 14 minutes, the difference is that calling gg in a pub doesn't automatically end the game.
crazy.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I mean this is precisely the reason why the comeback mechanic was absolutely stupid. When you get completely outdrafted, outlaned, and outplayed this hard, the result should be a swift loss and a gg go next. It made comebacks feel forced and artificial, and not really deserving. C9 doesn't deserve to be anywhere near close to winning any of those two games, nor have the potential to turtle them out for an extra 60 minutes.

We already saw some 60+ min games at redbull, and some close back n forth games in the grand finals. Dota should just be like any other sport, stomps guna be stomps when you get outplayed, and close games are going to be close games when both teams have a solid draft and bring their A game. There shouldn't be a mechanic that forces or creates close games just because--that takes away a lot from what makes dota, dota. It also invalidates the laning stage and the draft to a large extent.

I wouldn't mind seeing the tower armor nerf reverted or some number changes to make sure teams don't immediately roll down 2-3 towers after a teamfight, but I never want to see the comeback mechanic return. That wasn't the right way to go about controlling deathball imo.

just my thoughts anyhow, other opinions might be different.

i agrih tbh, if you get outdrafted and outplayed, you deserve to lose, not to drag the game out to 60 minutes with a chance to comeback just because you farmed enough and had the best lategame lineup.

14 minute GG? I haven't even seen that in pubs. Has this ever happened on tournament level before?
yes

when they know they can't come back they just call it

it's hard in pubs because everyone is so low level they respond instantly to continue to defend so unless they afk it's going to be longer than 15 mins

_Legacy_

I seriously doubt you haven't seen someone call gg at 14 minutes, the difference is that calling gg in a pub doesn't automatically end the game.
crazy.gif

Ah yes, I meant serious gg calls. Not some raging noob who calls because his team are 2-0 down after 3 minutes.

yes

when they know they can't come back they just call it

it's hard in pubs because everyone is so low level they respond instantly to continue to defend so unless they afk it's going to be longer than 15 mins

I agree and disagree. There are a lot of times where 1 bad team fight leads to "gg" calls in pubs, and it's really frustrating. People act like the only way to win is a complete stomp, but there are definitely still close games in 6.84. Case in point. 2 of my teamates called GG, because Techies had mined just about everything unopposed. I finally started buying wards (despite Mirana saying she was a support) and we stopped dying to Techies and had room to farm and setup fights.

In the case of pro games though, they are very qualified to say a game is over.

Hylian7

Ah yes, I meant serious gg calls. Not some raging noob who calls because his team are 2-0 down after 3 minutes.

Well, I mean I have had games where I could actually take a calm look at it and say "We lost", but it is pretty rare. But yeah, I basically meant raging teammates that call gg after first blood when I said that.

I agree and disagree. There are a lot of times where 1 bad team fight leads to "gg" calls in pubs, and it's really frustrating. People act like the only way to win is a complete stomp, but there are definitely still close games in 6.84. Case in point. 2 of my teamates called GG, because Techies had mined just about everything unopposed. I finally started buying wards (despite Mirana saying she was a support) and we stopped dying to Techies and had room to farm and setup fights.

In the case of pro games though, they are very qualified to say a game is over.
I don't think you interpreted my post correctly. I'm not sure what you're responding to specifically.

Hylian7

I don't think you interpreted my post correctly. I'm not sure what you're responding to specifically.

I had to read your post a few times for it to make sense, as I didin't find it immediately clear. if I understand correctly you meant that people call gg and still try to defend, rather than gg and afk in base and the other team actually just pushes and ends it.

Mostly the last part about people defending games that are "lost" in pubs. I agree with the top part, in pro games when they call it 99% of the time it's obvious. People in pubs are just too reactionary, and often call GG if they aren't destroying the other team, which is a silly mindset to have.

Hylian7

Mostly the last part about people defending games that are lost in pubs. I agree with the top part, in pro games when they call it 99% of the time it's obvious. People in pubs are just too reactionary, and often call GG if they aren't destroying the other team, which is a silly mindset to have.

I totally agree, but there are some pubs where I think you can make a level headed gg call, it's not often, but it can happen. I had one such game yesterday, and playing with a 5-stack.

About a 15 minutes in I pretty much knew we lost, even though we tried after that.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1469135217

I knew the TB was huge, and we didn't do anything about it, and I knew that our carries didn't compare, so the chance of us winning was highly unlikely.

kionedrik

You can make a case that there's a lot of experimentation going on, hence the shit drafts that we've seen in the last days.

And since the rubberband isn't as strong right now as it was, you can't fall back and wait for the late game or a good team-fight to come back into the game. You draft bad, you'll lose your lane(s) and that will allow the enemy to snowball, even if they don't have a line-up of deathballers.

It's all about the draft in this patch. It allows for stomps and long games. It's actually quite balanced tbh.

Mostly the last part about people defending games that are "lost" in pubs. I agree with the top part, in pro games when they call it 99% of the time it's obvious. People in pubs are just too reactionary, and often call GG if they aren't destroying the other team, which is a silly mindset to have.
I was saying it's physically impossible to end a game in pubs unless you have lesh and pugna simply because a gg doesn't end the game immediately no matter whether they're defending or not so seeing a 15 min end of game in pubs would be pretty rare.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Fastest pub win I've had with no abandons was a 19 minute AR game where we got Drow, Luna, Venge, BM, and Chen.

Anno

Watching fun lanes are my favorite part of the game, but I hope laning doesn't become the end-all of the game so much that drafts are limited to a narrower set of heroes unless the other team just drafts a shit lane first. Today I'm chalking up to poor play (EG/C9) and dreadful drafts (Rave/C9 vs. VG), but it does seem that teams who are down any appreciable amount when lanes break down have a crazy hill to climb to not just get rolled up.

Reckoner

forcestaff/blink is always good
also *she

Yeah, I knew that it's a she, but somehow managed make the mistake. fixed
4mC962j.gif
Thanks

I got the forcestaff and it helped me a lot when I needed to escape, but I didn't get blink because I thought that Vyse would be more helpful late in the match. Probably made a big mistake there. I think that we lost mainly because they got to our barracks and no one had a TP. Huge mistake. We could have turn that around.

xanavi

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1471243883

I think the phoenix took bdiz's farm in lane so he started feeding rapiers to us and all chatting in broken English.
troll.gif

Correction, it was the bounty hunter shadow fiend that was taking jungle ancient creeps from him that set him off. bdiz was in a three-stack with the rubick and phoenix.

JC Sera

Yeah, I knew that it's a she, but somehow managed to mistake that. fixed
4mC962j.gif
Thanks

I got the forcestaff and it helped me a lot when I needed to escape, but I didn't get blink because I thought that Vyse would be more helpful late in the match. Probably made a big mistake there. I think that we lost mainly because they got to our barracks and no one had a TP. Huge mistake. We could have turn that around.
You only need one or the other, but both is really sweet. Vyse got hella nerfed, so if you are using it against passive dependant carries like PA & SB its nowhere near as effective as it used to be.(I know this sounds stupid) but Deso (like if you had enough for Vyse) or solar would have gone better. Anti-armor is soooooo good. Solar is a great to put on enemy carries.
I have noticed that a lot of Dota personalities call everyone 'he' or 'him'.
In WC3 legion & wyvern were male
but I find that people default to he on female characters mostly cause they assume the player is male
the amount of times I've heard a female voice on team speak in my 1.5 years of playing dota rose to 3 this week

So one more week for the Treasure II to be finally given to us (lol) i mean what's keeping valve from showing the pictures of the immortals before they give it to us ? They need to update the site and tease us .... Prize pool is so stagnant right now

Although the new update for this week that adds more ways to earn points and etc will be manageable and recycling stuff (finally) is back but these features should've been here from the start

Haunted

wow Bruno works at Valve now? Pretty cool.

why are people who play hearthstone the biggest pieces of shit?
Even "mid or I feed cyka bljat" Russians in Dota 2 aren't as bad as Hearthstone players roping on every fucking turn.

Every single time I play with an alch who goes carry instead of aghs rush/ utility, I cry a little bit.
tears.gif

Also the amount of SD + Miranda I've seen in games is disgusting

You can make a case that there's a lot of experimentation going on, hence the shit drafts that we've seen in the last days.

And since the rubberband isn't as strong right now as it was, you can't fall back and wait for the late game or a good team-fight to come back into the game. You draft bad, you'll lose your lane(s) and that will allow the enemy to snowball, even if they don't have a line-up of deathballers.

It's all about the draft in this patch. It allows for stomps and long games. It's actually quite balanced tbh.
Yeah, I'm going back to captains mode this patch.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
bizzare why wouldn't he be more involved in the community side, he's been working with the community for the past 4 years and now he's going to code fulltime
valvebux and job security
Bruno did s ton of software side and stats side stuff right?

I am simultaneously proud of and embarrassed by this game: http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1471354276

I was whining and ready to give up at 8 minutes after Slark kept killing me (Ogre) and Axe bot. Thankfully our Storm was resilient and helped pull the team together for the best base defense I've ever experienced in Dota. We held them off in 3 huge fights long enough to push down their mid lane.I stayed behind to defend and managed to fend off a totally stacked Timbersaw from a naked throne long enough for a teammate to get back and finish him off. We won after that.

LC is a fun hero, but goddamn does she have to be a pocket pick. Took 3 games to win one. First two got counterpicked by a tree and other annoying crap (besides the usual 5 carries hurr, and bad lanes you get when paired with stacks). 3rd that I won was close, and you really need a blink on the hero, more than a shadowblade unless you're really snowballing early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom