• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any advise for a non 30 min afk medusa ? I like the hero but my friend don't like me making that pick because they feel like I will be useless during the first 30 min of the game.

Max Snake. Open with something like 1-3-1-1. You can be useful pushing towers if you like.

Build something like AQ --> Phase --> Maelstrom --> Skadi --> MKB by 35 minutes. Then finish Mjollnir. Go back for travels then fill the last slot with whatever you feel like you need to close the game. It's not a build I usually do, but it'll work and you'll probably do a good bit more damage earlier thanks to the maelstrom procs and damage from the built-in mythril hammer.

That said, the reality is that you're picking Medusa, so your usefulness will be limited to mostly your ult and snakes with a little auto damage for the first 20 minutes. Your autos just don't do enough damage yet, by design. But never under-estimate the damage the bouncing mystic snake can do. Even if you're sitting in the back of a fight doing no right-clicking at all. If you can toss out a couple of snakes, you will have done *significant* damage. Also, your ultimate is one of the strongest team fight ults in the game because it forces enemy disengage. Make sure you have a TP so that you can come and use it when needed. The ult alone can turn a fight. Trust me, I've logged almost 150 Medusa matches.

Here's the most recent example of how I prefer to build her:

https://yasp.co/matches/2018112505

Click on the "Purchases" tab for exact details. That's been my traditional approach for the last 2 years and it rarely fails me. Not shown in that data: the number of ancients stacked. The reason I buy Dom helm in almost every game is (a) so that I don't have to use spell shield to tank neutrals (which means I can have plenty of mana for a tp if I need to help fight early), and (b) so that I can stack ancients. I rarely miss a stack and that money is essential. Assuming you don't have someone to stack ancients reliably for you, Dom Helm is the best way to do it yourself.

As has been said, skip Linken's entirely. It costs too much to build into handiaps your farm speed for a critical portion of the current meta time. And if you follow Linken's purchase with a Manta, expect to lose because you'll do no damage at all for fuckin 40 minutes. If you feel like you need a Linken's later, go back for it or a BKB.

Recommended 6-slot setups:

- Travels + Skadi + Daedalus/MKB + AC/Bfly + Manta/Mjollnir + Satanic
- Travels + Skadi + AC/Bfly + Manta/Mjollnir + Daedalus/MKB + BKB/Linkens
- Travels + Skadi + Bfly/AC + Rapier + Rapier + Satanic

Add in Blink Dagger, Sheep, as needed.

Notes from experience: I don't recommend Medusa against a strong split pushing lineup. Her immobility hurts her quite a bit. Also, don't pick Medusa if your team doesn't have sufficient CC to keep targets in range of her autos. If they can simply force staff and walk away, you will have a lot of trouble winning.

Exactly! You can get a rapier at 20 min as well as Roshan. So you can start pushing as soon as you get it!

Do this if you want to -- for most intents and purposes -- win or lose the game by 30 minutes. Because it will be one or the other. If you need to go get your dick sucked and only have 30 minutes to play, this will get you a quick win or loss, no doubt.

Wok

It is not as good as what you suggested, but it is a fun way to play her too. The rapier+aegis is huge at the 20 min timing.

It is not the goto build but it can be very fun to pull off from time to time. Otherwise the first build that you suggested is super strong and super safe:
Travels + Skadi + MKB + Bfly + Manta+ Satanic

Lotto

i played my first game in 4 months and won with lina WAOW
fire.gif

Purchased Tales of Zistiria because I just decided to quit Witcher 3. It's nowhere near as good as its predecessors which is mainly due to it being open world. It's like 200% more boring than either predecessor. Really fucking disappointing but I saw it coming. I literally fell asleep everytime I launched it past 8pm.

^ stop encouraging him. lol

Where does Aghs fit into her build order to get use out of it tho? Do you build it first item like AM builds BF and then just fuck off in the woods while your team tries not to lose without you?
It's not Saturday yet! Will provide details and findings then. :-D

Wok

Knowing you might perform a skillshot-manta-dodge of a stun makes manta always worth it... for my entertainement at least.

Manta on Medusa ain't bad. My build is usally Treads/Phase - Aquila - Yasha - Skadi.

Whether I finish the Manta depends on the game. I don't see the point in buying Maelstrom.

Unless you really need to use its purge manta is hot garbage
Depends on how late the game is and how you want to play it. Between the stats (which Dusa is happy to have more of), bonus move speed, pushing/seiging potential and the momentary confusion you can cause to single-target ability casters in critical moments, it's always been worth it for me.

If you're buying it for team fight damage, yea you did it wrong. And if you bought it when you needed damage instead, you did it wrong. "Hot garbage" suggests a fundamental misunderstanding of the purpose of the item purchase for that hero. And back to the fist sentence: if you're 6-slotted and pop manta, that damage is real. It's shit when all you have is a likens, but when you're late-game enough (skadi, bfly), those stats and auras enemy heros feel those manta split shots too...and they aren't especially easy to kill anymore either.

I still recommend it highly. Just as long as people understand what they're buying, when it buy it, and what it will do for them to maximize its potential. But yea, it's only bad if you're confusing it for a mid game damage purchase.

Manta on Medusa ain't bad. My build is usally Treads/Phase - Aquila - Yasha - Skadi.

Whether I finish the Manta depends on the game. I don't see the point in buying Maelstrom.
The maelstrom is for faster clears and the build up into mjollnir. The active is nice on her as is the attack speed. Just don't finish it immediately. Turn it into a mjollnir after skadi and damage items are done.

I haven't done that build very much, but mostly because I keep winning with my preferred build and never really feel inclined to try it out more.

He's not super wrong to be fair. Manta is situational but even if build every game on her for no apparent reason it's not terrible. I just think he's too harsh towards the item.
Yes I agree with this. Though I find a way to use it in most games. I often times leave it as a yasha until after thr bfly/skadi and Daedalus/mkb are done. Sometimes not even then. Just sort of depends. But I continue to be a big fan of the yasha. She needs as much move speed as she can get and its a great early game bridge for her to get to her bigger items faster.

Again, it's about understanding what the item will and will not give you. If ya thought it was a damage buffing item primarily, ya did it wrong.

sixghost

Depends on how late the game is and how you want to play it. Between the stats (which Dusa is happy to have more of), bonus move speed, pushing/seiging potential and the momentary confusion you can cause to single-target ability casters in critical moments, it's always been worth it for me.

If you're buying it for team fight damage, yea you did it wrong. And if you bought it when you needed damage instead, you did it wrong. "Hot garbage" suggests a fundamental misunderstanding of the purpose of the item purchase for that hero. And back to the fist sentence: if you're 6-slotted and pop manta, that damage is real. It's shit when all you have is a likens, but when you're late-game enough (skadi, bfly), those stats and auras enemy heros feel those manta split shots too...and they aren't especially easy to kill anymore either.

I still recommend it highly. Just as long as people understand what they're buying, when it buy it, and what it will do for them to maximize its potential. But yea, it's only bad if you're confusing it for a mid game damage purchase.

The maelstrom is for faster clears and the build up into mjollnir. The active is nice on her as is the attack speed. Just don't finish it immediately. Turn it into a mjollnir after skadi and damage items are done.

I haven't done that build very much, but mostly because I keep winning with my preferred build and never really feel inclined to try it out more.
Do you like drums on her if you need to get involved early?

Chris R

Finished the first episode of Life Is Strange... yooooo this is really good.

Probably the first episodic chose your path kinda game I'll actually finish.

kvk1

Finished the first episode of Life Is Strange... yooooo this is really good.

Probably the first episodic chose your path kinda game I'll actually finish.

If you think the first episode was good the rest of the game will change your world.

I almost stopped between episodes 1 and 2.

Thank god I didn't.

Red UFO

Played a game with a "support invoker" who just played a normal invoker except without the last hitting.

Whatever, we didn't chat shit and we just carried on regardless. However, at 30 minutes he was zero for twelve, and as a result spent so long sat in base typing out angry essays about how this was apparently else's fault that he got an AFK abandon.

Like, that is legit behaviour that can get you put in an asylum I'm sure.

bounchfx

Played a game with a "support invoker" who just played a normal invoker except without the last hitting.

Whatever, we didn't chat shit and we just carried on regardless. However, at 30 minutes he was zero for twelve, and as a result spent so long sat in base typing out angry essays about how this was apparently else's fault that he got an AFK abandon.

he does not deserve to play the majesty that is INVOKR

place this pleb in low pro

lmao

Yazzees

My friends all suddenly stopped playing this within a week of one another. Super weird, we used to stack for several matches a day. Wonder if there are any stats on Dota player turnover.

Haven't watched much pro Dota lately. Apparently, the meta hasn't changed other than adding Invoker to the viable hero pool?

http://www.datdota.com/heroes.php

Anything I'm missing? Looks like Oracle gets picked occasionally too.

The only major tournament that was played this patch was WCA. not much pro doto till next year. (except for the radiant & dire cup which i just discovered and has VG LGD CDEC and ehome + othr b tiers but its still a small tournament )

elyetis

Maelstrom and manta suck on dusa
I sure know that our puck didn't like my mael in this game https://yasp.co/matches/2024384918/ , complained about it when I did mine. That's actually one of the reason I made my post.
Seems like I already had the general idea from what I gather from Dreams-Visions, Pratfall, etc... ( ty btw ) no linken or at least not a linken rush, max snake first, be there in team fight for your ult.

I actually wondered of some people would advise blink, always thought it might give some good result with her ult, but never tried it because I felt it would only delay even more a hero which already take quite some time to really do decent damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom