• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quesa

any tips for laning vs timbersaw? my last 2 ember games I had a really abysmal time vs him

What lane? It's a bad matchup most times, but mid you should have a good shot. Stay away from trees, and realize that you're at a disadvantage unless you're in a 2v1 scenario with someone who can stun. Then just chain him when you see him start the chain animation and you should be okay. Play conservatively.

5DF6BE57061A5EDB9F9DCA9C9A8E1C7EDCF03834

super saiyan 7 achieved

hqdefault.jpg

post id of gifs u scrub

That game is pretty good but it's not the second coming of christ like some would lead you to believe.

If you don't like witty writing then it's just a garbo rpg.

MH4U is the true game of the year.
I think you're selling Undertale short. It tackles and provides solutions to some of the problems that have been plaguing JRPGS; things like random encounters, incoherent story lines, disposable enemies, spreadsheet system design. Most of the solutions the game offers are thoughtful, if not good. Without getting into details, the takeaway is that the genre needs to do a better job of making story and gameplay cohere. In JRPGS that means having enemies that make sense in context and have a reason for being encounters. It means having statistics that are thematically relevant.

The crazy part is that Undertale is barely a JRPG, its not afraid to throw away parts of the genre or even add random shit from other genres. The game plays more like a shmup than a JRPG. We could classify it as a shmup/JRPS/adventure game.

Undertale's attention to detail is lovely. Most of the game's plot points are well developed, and its plot holes are patched up. Even random video game-isms are considered.
Sans warping from screen to screen instead of walking is a cool example of this.

Undertale's a better JRPG than any game released since like 2006 and it's barely trying to be in the genre.

I think you're selling Undertale short. It tackles and provides solutions to some of the problems that have been plaguing JRPGS; things like random encounters, incoherent story lines, disposable enemies, spreadsheet system design. Most of the solutions the game offers are thoughtful, if not good. Without getting into details, the takeaway is that the genre needs to do a better job of making story and gameplay cohere. In JRPGS that means having enemies that make sense in context and have a reason for being encounters. It means having statistics that are thematically relevant.

The crazy part is that Undertale is barely a JRPG, its not afraid to throw away parts of the genre or even add random shit from other genres. The game plays more like a shmup than a JRPG. We could classify it as a shmup/JRPS/adventure game.

Undertale's attention to detail is lovely. Most of the game's plot points are well developed, and its plot holes are patched up. Even random video game-isms are considered.
Sans warping from screen to screen instead of walking is a cool example of this.

Undertale's a better JRPG than any game released since like 2006 and it's barely trying to be in the genre.

lmao what was the last jrpg u played

i'm taking into consideration that jrpg is a broad term that means shit

No sorry, but god damn it why is this now about classifying the genre. For the sake of clarity my definition of JRPGS is closer to SNES games. Dark Souls is not a JRPG under my definition.

we went through this last thread

jrpg and wrpg are trash terms

just say turn-based rpg, action rpg or something.

I still haven't booted Undertale cuz I spent like 3 days fixing this old laptop, the bios wasn't working correctly and i could not install 64 bit windows and shit.

i will try getting to that before the end of the year.

we went through this last thread

jrpg and wrpg are trash terms

just say turn-based rpg, action rpg or something.

I still haven't booted Undertale cuz I spent like 3 days fixing this old laptop, the bios wasn't working correctly and i could not install 64 bit windows and shit.

i will try getting to that before the end of the year.
I must have wiped that from my mind just like all of the other times people started arguing about that. But yeah that makes sense.

Demoli

You raise good points, but imo, Undertale, specificly in terms of gameplay, is nowhere close games like the two Xenoblades, Bravely Default, Pokémon or Megaten.

Even in terms of story it really doesn't do anything that is that new, other than the option to not kill any NPC, as opposed to other games allowing you to spare a few key figures.

In fact, most of the JRPG shortcomings you mention seem to be fixed in Bravely Default. What was about it that you didn't like?
apart from chapter 5 and 6

As an Addendum, I'd classify Undertale as a JRPG if you go Genocide and schmup if you go Pacifist

don't lane against him as Ember without a really good range support. preferably a pair of them. or just accept that you'll lose the laning phase and have to make it up later.
ok, I'll do that
What lane? It's a bad matchup most times, but mid you should have a good shot. Stay away from trees, and realize that you're at a disadvantage unless you're in a 2v1 scenario with someone who can stun. Then just chain him when you see him start the chain animation and you should be okay. Play conservatively.
Once mid, where I took a ton of damage and died when he hit 6, and once in the safe lane where I underestimated his Q damage and died twice during 3v3 teamfights.

I haven't laned vs him for like the last year and I forgot how to play against him I guess. I'm just used to contesting heavily whenever I have flameguard vs melee heroes, but timber doesn't seem to care.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I should play Undertale.

I didn't play many games this year so my list is something along the lines of:

Life is Strange
Path of Exile 2.0
Aviary Attourney

DrPizza

Banned
You're joking, but I don't disagree. I hate him but he's central.

I'm not sure I'm even joking. I love the hero. And in some ways, I love him for the reason that others hate him: he changes the game. His spells and playstyle are unlike any other. It's the same with Earth Spirit and his stones, or Chen and his creeps, or Invoker and his spells, and arguably even Io and his tether partner: these heroes play in a way that's unlike any other. I'm glad that Dota 2 has this kind of diversity, and I think that if anything it should expand.

I do, however, think that there should be more heroes with some kind of natural truesight. As much as I hate playing Techies against a Zeus, I think having more heroes that do interesting things with vision (on top of the existing Nightstalker, KotL, and Zeus) would be good.

Baha

6.86c out

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=570

* Alacrity damage/speed rescaled from 30/40/50/60/70/80/90 to 10/25/40/55/70/85/100
* Invoker base strength reduced by 2
* Time Walk cast range increased from 550 to 625
* Faceless Void strength gain increased from 1.6 to 1.8
* Time Dilation duration increased from 5.5/7/8.5/10 to 6/8/10/12
* Time Dilation cooldown increased from 34/28/22/16 to 36/30/24/18
* Call Down first missile damage decreased from 220/285/350 to 200/275/350
* Walrus Punch cooldown increased from 20/16/12 to 36/24/12
* Nightmare cooldown increased from 16/15/14/13 to 22/19/16/13
* Tricks of the Trade cooldown reduced from 70 to 40
* Tricks of the Trade AoE increased from 475 to 500
* Blink Strike cast range increased from 700 to 800
* Blink Strike cast point reduced from 0.4 to 0.3
* Arcane Orb int steal increased from 1/2/3/4 to 2/3/4/5
* Arcane Orb int steal duration increased from 40 to 50
* Shallow Grave cast point increased from 0.35 to 0.4
* Shadow Wave manacost increased from 80/90/100/110 to 90/100/110/120
* Winter's Curse attack speed bonus increased from 50 to 70
* Tombstone cooldown increased from 60 to 70
* Surge manacost increased from 20/30/40/50 to 50
* Death Prophet base intelligence increased by 3
* Spirit Siphon HP Drain increased from 1/1.8/2.6/3.4% to 1/2/3/4%
* Spirit Siphon slow rescaled from 6/10/14/18% to 5/10/15/20%
* Exorcism duration increased from 30 to 35 seconds
* Radiant Small Camp's spawn box is now smaller
* Fixed Lone Druid's HP not increasing when upgrading True Form

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That's a nice list of changes.

RIP LC, now and forever.

Chris R

Monitor has landed, now comes the hard part, waiting 3 hours to get home from work to hook it up and pray that the backlight bleed is bad and for no dead pixels.

Wish I could play a game of Dota before I leave for vacation :(

Wow I don't think DP was weak at all, these buffs might've been too much, we'll see though.

Invoker's still strong, nerf was necessary, he wasn't even broken in an interesting way.

just +5 seconds on exorcism is fucking huge
that's basically a whole tower down at level 3 ult
then you have the other buffs

Why not buff heroes or items that actually need it rofl

riki still shit btw, that ult does jackshit

edit
My boyfriend is pregnant
laugh.gif

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

LEDDIT said:
Nerf Invoker Before Its Too Late by napstar_ in DotA2

[–]Anbokr -2 points 2 days ago*

My ideal nerfs:
*Alacrity scaling to 5/20/35/50/65/80/95/110(aghs) dmg/attkspeed (lower bottom end higher top end)
*Alacrity CD increased to 20s (up from 15).
*-3 base str.

73453-cG4mSmTwQ7dU1_IS.mpo

silly leddit top 100 dotabuff invoker pickers, hE wil be fine if alacrity costed +5 manA lmFAo no need to touch his base str!!

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Very good nerf though and just specifically targets invoker's laning which has to be shitty for the hero to be balanced. I think most invoker's will just skip that value wex point now and go back to the standard quas/wex or quas/exort. You also get your +2 str back for putting that point into quas over wex. His late game will be a tad stronger too with the better maxed alacrity (115 attkspeed/dmg with aghs).

Yeah the new heroes seem very strong now, I don't think any of them needed buffs, but hell, w/e, anything to get them more play I guess. Should be fun experimenting with OD/DP tonight. They got massive buffs.

Are they not going to fix ancients pulling to midlane wtf lol??? Just make it so lane creeps can never aggro to ancients and end all new patch ancients pulling bullshit. Should never happen.

Hylian7

Very good nerf though and just specifically targets invoker's laning which has to be shitty for the hero to be balanced. I think most invoker's will just skip that value wex point now and go back to the standard quas/wex or quas/exort. You also get your +2 str back for putting that point into quas over wex. His late game will be a tad stronger too with the better maxed alacrity (115 attkspeed/dmg with aghs).

Yeah the new heroes seem very strong now, I don't think any of them needed buffs, but hell, w/e, anything to get them more play I guess. Should be fun experimenting with OD/DP tonight. They got massive buffs.

Are they not going to fix ancients pulling to midlane wtf lol???
Just make it so lane creeps can never aggro to ancients and end all new patch ancients pulling bullshit. Should never happen.

Which side can you do this on? I haven't read up on it.

Glad Invoker got the nerf bat. He needed itl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom