• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler

Not Wario
In all seriousness, what were the Wraith King files or whatever that popped up in the datamining prior if not a new Diretide boss? There's no hero in Dota 1 that fits that description. Did I miss the joke? I mean, if Ember Spirit hit today, I wouldn't care in the slightest about Diretide, but I assume that's not going to happen and, given the TF2 precedent as well as language in the original Diretide release, it seemed natural to assume it would be back.

I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for the community to hope for parity now that it's been over two years since the game entered beta, a duration that would encompass the entire dev cycles for many titles- titles which, I might add, weren't super enhanced ports of existing game design into polished AAA titles with true eSports support and features but entirely new games unto themselves. I respect that Valve does a better job that pretty much any other studio and that their handling of Dota in particular has been ace with some great innovations on the f2p model and some truly amazing events; I just think it's pretty easy to see why the community might care more about the games reaching hero parity than each hero being ready for cosmetics or completely polished in the art/model before initial release..

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The real odd part about wraith king is his textures look like Skelton king's, WW being renamed Wraith king wouldn't be too far fetched though

elyetis

What is there to communicate that we don't already know? The most important communication is from the community to Valve, not the other way around, and they get plenty of that through the dev forums, reading Reddit, etc.
Usually dev communicate on what is being worked on, what's next to come in the next big patch, things like that. ( at least in other game with still heavy dev being done once it's released, like mmo )

I'll take ffxiv ARR as an example, where we already know a big chunk of what to expect in the next 3 big patch / for the next 7-8 months.
Communication doesn't take a huge amount of time, and allow people to not put crazy expectation ( or not so crazy, like having a seasonal event like the previous year ) which will never be met. ( ? ) It actually seems far more needed now that dota 2 dev seems to have taken a big turn ( or slow down.... ).

There is a crazy amount of thing we don't already know, sure we know work is being done on new hero but none of us can actually say if we might get one today or in the next 3 month, let alone more than 1 hero, custom game mod, seasonal event, etc...

midas bloodstone bot qop, radiance first necrolyte, kill me :(.

Wonder if valve is seeing how long they can not update the game with new content before the game starts to decline in playerbase, so they know how much content to release per year. Everyone quit playing dota2. #conspiracytheory

Dec

In all seriousness, what were the Wraith King files or whatever that popped up in the datamining prior if not a new Diretide boss? There's no hero in Dota 1 that fits that description. Did I miss the joke? I mean, if Ember Spirit hit today, I wouldn't care in the slightest about Diretide, but I assume that's not going to happen and, given the TF2 precedent as well as language in the original Diretide release, it seemed natural to assume it would be back.

I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for the community to hope for parity now that it's been over two years since the game entered beta, a duration that would encompass the entire dev cycles for many titles- titles which, I might add, weren't super enhanced ports of existing game design into polished AAA titles with true eSports support and features but entirely new games unto themselves. I respect that Valve does a better job that pretty much any other studio and that their handling of Dota in particular has been ace with some great innovations on the f2p model and some truly amazing events; I just think it's pretty easy to see why the community might care more about the games reaching hero parity than each hero being ready for cosmetics or completely polished in the art/model.

It seems weird to me to not have a Halloween event the first Halloween after officially releasing, after having one during beta. So I'm expecting one tonight or tomorrow.

It would just be nice to have an official statement early on saying "the Diretide will/will not be happening this year." Instead of just making people wait to for the clock to strike twelve on Halloween and find out.

And yes, people were going to assume there would be one this year. I'm sure people on the dev team knew people would assume that.

Randdalf

Usually dev communicate on what is being worked on, what's next to come in the next big patch, things like that. ( at least in other game with still heavy dev being done once it's released, like mmo )

I'll take ffxiv ARR as an example, where we already know a big chunk of what to expect in the next 3 big patch / for the next 7-8 months.
Communication doesn't take a huge amount of time, and allow people to not put crazy expectation ( or not so crazy, like having a seasonal event like the previous year ) which will never be met. ( ? ) It actually seems far more needed now that dota 2 dev seems to have taken a big turn ( or slow down.... ).

There is a crazy amount of thing we don't already know, sure we know work is being done on new hero but none of us can actually say if we might get one today or in the next 3 month, let alone more than 1 hero, custom game mod, seasonal event, etc...

Yeah but all Valve can communicate is "We're working on a hero, it'll be ready when it's done", which really adds nothing at all. The way they handled TF2 for years (and still do) is to release updates as complete surprises, and I can't imagine why they would treat Dota any differently.

I bet that TF2 update is almost entirely community update.

Valve added a modified version of a map where you get chased by skeletons and can cast spells, then at the end of the map both teams have a battle in hell.

MKAllDay

Yeah but all Valve can communicate is "We're working on a hero, it'll be ready when it's done", which really adds nothing at all. The way they handled TF2 for years (and still do) is to release updates as complete surprises, and I can't imagine why they would treat Dota any differently.

Dota 2 is much bigger than TF2 ever was and with that comes a much larger community filled with more demands. Additionally, TF2 wasn't designed as a remake of a game with a strong emphasis on parity. When key elements of the original game are still missing, people like to know why/when they can be expected. Those are two good reasons why Dota could be treated differently.

Now I am not one of the types that get upset over the lack of content patches as of late, but I am in agreement with all the people that say a little more communication from their end would be nice.

elyetis

So we might actually get Starbound beta or Dayz Early acces before the next decent dota 2 patch ?

Heck maybe CubeWorld will get a decent update before dota 2.
Well they are all big dev team compared to the current dota 2 dev team consisting of Valve trainees working on it during their lunch break.

:vent: :deadgame: :etc:

Hylian7

So we might actually get Starbound beta or Dayz Early acces before the next decent dota 2 patch ?

Heck maybe CubeWorld will get a decent update before dota 2.
Well they are all big dev team compared to the current dota 2 dev team consisting of Valve trainees working on it during their lunch break.

:vent: :deadgame: :etc:

It's cute that you think that's ever coming out.

spk

Wow, Matt is repeating what he just said here, but now its on Twitter so it has to be true, as he is an infallible insider.

I don't follow this thread and I wasn't aware he posted here. I'm somewhat new to the game so figured multiple figures saying it would be more than just trolling. I don't know why that warranted a snarky response...

elyetis

It's cute that you think that's ever coming out.
I'm still expecting to see Minecraft official mod API ( now announced like 2-3 years ago ? ); so I guess I'm actually quite an optimistic guy.

Which is why somewhere inside me there is still hope to see Techies before 2014, which at that point seems like thinking santa is real.

shira

637x358.resizedimage

Calabaxa Courier by Cesar Sampedro and Miles Ham
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=190581708&searchtext=

Just in time for di... Whoops

I don't follow this thread and I wasn't aware he posted here. I'm somewhat new to the game so figured multiple figures saying it would be more than just trolling. I don't know why that warranted a snarky response...

Everyone is on edge due to dead game.

No malice or hate here...

just pain.

I have my bottle of Jose Cuervo in case I need to sulk because we got no DireTide.

At least there's TF2 Halloween and and League Harrowing to keep me warm.

Shinypogs

Is it bad that I mostly wanted diretide so I could watch pros dick around with it? I found some vods of last diretide ( and the Christmas thing) with EGM and some of the others ( I forget who) messing about with that. Obviously there's lots of actual tournament stuff for them to do right now but I imagine some of the pros would find time to stream a little of themselves having fun with something silly.

So you are saying that if diretide is cancelled, we might as well just cancel Halloween as a whole

I will quit Halloween. That srys. Really, I just want DireTide for the change of pace. Something to make me forget that we're *still* waiting on one new hero. Just one.

League Halloween is basically a shop update and the shop has been down for hours :(

Yea I just signed in and noticed. But at least there are new hats to play with. :(

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yea I just signed in and noticed. But at least there are new hats to play with. :(

Ironically, holidays are the only times I actually look forward to cosmetics. I was genuinely excited for that after some of the cool shit that popped up on the workshop recently. But we probably won't get that either.

Dec

The hats are mainly old ones though right? Looks like one Halloween themed Zyra skin, a Vi skin that seems to not have anything to do with Halloween and legacy skins for those that missed them before.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Maybe it is wishful thinking, but I would think if we are really getting nothing, they would have said so by now. I also think the lack of much unreleased content being leaked with the files means valve has gotten better at keeping things under wrap and not shipping with main.

Valve doesnt communicate with its fanbase. Its like talking to a wall of silence. It is also the reason everyone always gets super worked up over shit Cyborgmatt says, cause he's the stand in for the community directors valve dont have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom