• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Best Tier
Captain's Draft
Random Draft

Not As Good But Still Ok Tier
All Random
Single Draft

Garbage Tier
All Pick
Least Played
Limited Heroes

The only time I played Captain's Mode I had to abandon during the drafting stage because my sister was having a seizure, so I have no comment on that mode.

I don't find all pick half as bad as people say, I rarely ever see a hero like Sniper or Riki

You're either at a high mmr or just really lucky.

BeesEight

Alright, Pyrion is winning me over. This Dreamleague is pretty entertaining.

I don't usually play AP mode but I can't recall the last time I faced a Riki. Though, before 6.79, Spirit Breaker was in almost every game.

Shinypogs

I wouldn't say all pick is horrid, just that it gets fucking boring and it feels like you don't learn anything playing against the same heroes. I mean I still have a ton to learn, even after 100 games but I don't die stupidly to riki anymore, I have a better idea of how far I need to be from sniper and when I can engage on him etc. I need to play against different heroes so I get experience vs them and also to play with different ones as teammates so I better understand what hero combos work well together.

I'm glad I can branch out a bit more now.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
If anyone were to make an educated guess, would Alpine Ursa set prices be higher or lower a year from now?
They should keep going up as the games user base increases, though it should top out at some point. This I'd assuming no bug or exploit puts more of the items inn the market.

I wouldn't invest in them, but I don't think they will go up too much more.

Dammit I was trying to get a bet in on this second game quick before it started. Bot errored out on me though during the trade :/ Probably because I was cutting it too close before the start - must cutoff at 5 minutes before or something.

The potential rares!

JustinBB7

Ok so Fnatic beat Alliance yesterday, and Navi twice today.

The top 2 teams in the world getting stomped by Fnatic. I'm happily surprised.

Milabrega

Single Draft would be better if you could see the three heroes your teammates can choose from and recommend for each of them AND if you can swap. As it stands right now its in the cellar with Limited Heroes and All Pick.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Dammit I was trying to get a bet in on this second game quick before it started. Bot errored out on me though during the trade :/ Probably because I was cutting it too close before the start - must cutoff at 5 minutes before or something.

The potential rares!

I couldn't make any bets this morning, the bots were all full at the time. Oh well, there is always tomorrow!

They should keep going up as the games user base increases, though it should top out at some point. This I'd assuming no bug or exploit puts more of the items inn the market.

I wouldn't invest in them, but I don't think they will go up too much more.

Only asking because I'm looking to cash out,
http://np.reddit.com/r/Dota2Trade/comments/1pz4dx/h_inventory_includes_alpine_set_and_more_w_offers/
found some guy who actually lives right nearby who has an absolutely insane inventory, so I hope he bites with a great offer.

Karakand

Bad players=!reportable

Report people who are insulting, fuck their teammates on purpose, call gg early and feed.

Someone not playing how you want isn't a reason to report. I'm sure as hell ain't reporting that guy that went INT Anti-Mage.

(Emphasis mine.)

That's what the Dazzle was doing in that game.

LiQuid! is a hella prima donna carry who flips out at the slightest insolence from a PUG in lane though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Best Tier
Captain's Draft
Random Draft

Not As Good But Still Ok Tier
All Random
Single Draft

Garbage Tier
All Pick
Least Played
Limited Heroes

The only time I played Captain's Mode I had to abandon during the drafting stage because my sister was having a seizure, so I have no comment on that mode.

You're either at a high mmr or just really lucky.

I'll agree with this list with the exception of moving Least Played up a tier.

While it doesn't lead to great matches, I do think it's a solid way to try new heroes once you're in a high enough tier that not playing heroes you're fairly experienced with can become more problematic.

Random Draft does a fairly good job helping with that, but I feel Least Played gives you an opportunity to hone in on a specific new hero for a bit.

I'll agree with this list with the exception of moving Least Played up a tier.

While it doesn't lead to great matches, I do think it's a solid way to try new heroes once you're in a high enough tier that not playing heroes you're fairly experienced with can become more problematic.

The problem with Least Played is that nobody is trying to win. It's the, "don't care" mode.

KingKong

Rewatching the Dreamleague with sound and Pyrion really brings a lot to the broadcast with his questions, its much better to have him ask something and have Draskyl explain than having two commentators just constantly explaining every little thing

JustinBB7

I'd be impressed if both teams weren't busy running experimental lineups while Fnatic is going full-on tryhard.

Todays Navi games Navi had weird lineups yeah. But didn't Alliance draft their standard shit? I don't remember.

Still, even with experimental lineups, Navi usually would just outplay teams like Fnatic anyway. Beating them 2 games in a row (and second game had a way less experimental lineup I feel) is pretty good.

Haunted

Holy shit, these Dreamleague production values during the draft!

Pick/ban stats, team's past lineups and picks, hero skills, a game map with potential laning setups... this is some next level shit.

Low Tier
just fyi bzms cat is gone

Its still there ingame, still sitting at 4919. Iunno, dotabuff has been fucking with all of our teams, like i think its deleted alot of our teams except Alex Bradley's Big Dick Brigade, which was the first team we made.

RIP Thuglyfe420, Grandma Pushers, Bzm's Cat, There is no tug

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I'd be impressed if both teams weren't busy running experimental lineups while Fnatic is going full-on tryhard.

eh fnatic comes from HoN where hyper-aggressive early deathball was the meta for a solid 1-2 years. This 6.79 patch is basically the HoN patch of dota, both games are at a fairly similar pace right now, and so fnatic benefits. They've just been on point and h4nn1 has been playing out of his mind, I think it's unfair to discredit their wins as "navi/alliance probably experimenting."

shira

Guys I found a gif of shira and EE.

ibhHylg5ZoBdYY.gif
1012754_626907014019881_1868445388_n.jpg

Ok who is dis?

eh fnatic comes from HoN where hyper-aggressive early deathball was the meta for a solid 1-2 years. This 6.79 patch is basically the HoN patch of dota, both games are at a fairly similar pace right now, and so fnatic benefits. They've just been on point and h4nn1 has been playing out of his mind, I think it's unfair to discredit their wins as "navi/alliance probably experimenting."

Oh I know Fnatic is a quality team. In fact, as I recall...when the TI3 invites were going out, they were looking like the strongest team in the West. They faded as they approached the finish line, but we all know Fnatic is legit good. But today...when the opposition -- be it Na'Vi or TeamGAF -- runs shit like Invoker and QoP carry in consecutive games...

...it's hard to feel like there was an opportunity to gauge *how much better* Fnatic is playing than when they got their boots smoked in TI3.

Teams aren't picking "gun to my head and have to win" comps against them. They're doing a lot of weird shit and experimenting. In large part because these tournaments are small potatoes for teams like Na'Vi and Alliance, who are making 6-figures annually. Shit is just something to do for now. Whereas teams like Fnatic, EG and everyone else who ain't makin the big bucks still have something to prove and set out every time out to do so. This is not to diminish the good play of teams like Fnatic recently so much as it is a commentary on the reality that they're not going up againt Na'Vi and Alliance squads that are picking like they have something to prove.

arab

STEVE YOU ARE TOO LATE I HAVE BEEN DRAFTED JEEZ GET OFF MY DICK

also don't you looooooove playing games where you look at your team vs. the opponents and think "well this is gonna end badly" then you end up completely dominating them?

SOGOOD

STEVE YOU ARE TOO LATE I HAVE BEEN DRAFTED JEEZ GET OFF MY DICK

also don't you looooooove playing games where you look at your team vs. the opponents and think "well this is gonna end badly" then you end up completely dominating them?

SOGOOD

How do you have 2 assists and 0 deaths?

Z..

Recently started playing this. Still getting used to all the items and whatnot, for now... Quite liking it.

My only "complaint" is the size of the damn HUD/IU. It's way too invasive. I get that that's how much field of view we're meant to have, but just make it smaller, goddamnit. Does anyone really like it this big? oO

I think it's the first time in my life I've had this problem, lol... It needs to be smaller, man. It just does. It's way too big.

ReRixo

Banned
Recently started playing this. Still getting used to all the items and whatnot, for now... Quite liking it.

My only "complaint" is the size of the damn HUD/IU. It's way too invasive. I get that that's how much field of view we're meant to have, but just make it smaller, goddamnit. Does anyone really like it this big? oO

I think it's the first time in my life I've had this problem, lol... It needs to be smaller, man. It just does. It's way too big.

I wish it was smaller too but it'll never happen :(

If you're coming from LoL it might seem big, but that game has the opposite problem - too small. Maybe not as important if you're just playing, but far worse for spectators. The icons are too damn small to make out on anything but a large screen, especially since I'm not already familiar with them. Certainly not watchable on my phone. (I occasionally turn on LoL streams if no one interesting is playing Dota). The spammable spells and lower-res art style doesn't help either. Most Dota spells are much more distinct which makes the action easier to follow, but I won't say I'm not biased.

But anyway - the HUD doesn't bother me, probably just takes some getting used to if you're not comfortable with it. So long as you're not playing in 4:3 in which case GG.

Z..

If you're coming from LoL it might seem big, but that game has the opposite problem - too small. Maybe not as important if you're just playing, but far worse for spectators. The icons are too damn small to make out on anything but a large screen, especially since I'm not already familiar with them. Certainly not watchable on my phone. (I occasionally turn on LoL streams if no one interesting is playing Dota). The spammable spells and lower-res art style doesn't help either. Most Dota spells are much more distinct which makes the action easier to follow, but I won't say I'm not biased.

But anyway - the HUD doesn't bother me, probably just takes some getting used to if you're not comfortable with it. So long as you're not playing in 4:3 in which case GG.

I come from alot of things! ^^ But I did play LoL regularly for a few months about a year ago.

Anyway, making concessions for the spectators shouldn't really be that important a concern, you should make the game enjoyable to the players above anyone else. I don't care about eSports or watch any streams of any kind so in my case it just comes off as annoying... but I understand what you mean. It's just... you have no idea how many times I've misclicked on the damn HUD while trying to run away and died because of it. Or while chasing someone and subsequently allowing them to get away, too. One wrong click is all it takes... and when the HUD covers about 40% of the screen it becomes a bit too frequent. =/

Not to worry, though, it's just a minor niggle. I'm slowly getting used to it... but one can dream! :D

BeesEight

But today...when the opposition -- be it Na'Vi or TeamGAF -- runs shit like Invoker and QoP carry in consecutive games...

Teams aren't picking "gun to my head and have to win" comps against them. They're doing a lot of weird shit and experimenting.

To be fair, Na'Vi picks random weird shit even in The International Grand Finals.

To be fair, Na'Vi picks random weird shit even in The International Grand Finals.

this is...true.

but at that point you can call it a "pocket strat". something they've found works and that they're saving for a surprise. Whether it works out is another matter. I have a hard time believing that putting XBOCT on QoP or Dendi on Invoker safelane carry and having him build support Invoker spec (QuasWex) was anything more than spur-of-the-moment creativity. Trying new shit to see what works and what doesn't to be filed away later as potential pocket strats in tournaments they care about. I could be completely wrong. But they did some shit today where...if you had told me they were betting against themselves in Vegas for a big payday, I would have believed you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom