• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
D'awww thanks :3

They could return to the store during an event or sale? but artists gwt a cut of the marketplace transactions anyway, although its a lot smaller than the store if the price fluctuates it can be good or lame :p

Good to know. I guess that makes me feel less bad about inflating some goofball's wallet cause he was fortunate enough to start playing before me, or at least getting on the hat bandwagon sooner.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Is that site legit?

There's nothing illegitimate or unsafe about it but no you're not getting a personalized assessment from an appraiser. It's a rough estimate which seems to slightly undervalue a lot of stuff and probably overvalues others.

Gaaraz

Yeah, that's certainly fine and understandable, many do the same. The reason I recommended avoiding All Pick is that there are a handful of heroes (Riki, Drow Ranger, Huskar, Spirit Breaker, Sniper) who are picked in about 90% of AP matches, and commonly ruin games. They are not overpowered per se, but uncoordinated pub matches simply do not play against them the right way and it can be very frustrating. Either way just be aware of that and don't let it ruin your opinion of the game.
Thank you... to be honest, I know it's cheap but they sound like my kind of heroes! I like playing as characters where I can strictly follow a certain build or guide and know that I won't let the team down, especially as a new player.

Not sure how much I agree with this. Whilst DOTA is more punishing of falling behind, though the most recent patch lessened this somewhat, Valve have put in a bunch of features like the tutorial and guide system designed to help new players get to grips with things. This was maybe true a year ago, but not anymore I feel.
Good points, thank you - I feel like I need to at the very least play through the entire tutorial... the first two sections were very boring coming from a LoL point of view, but I imagine the more indepth stuff (and as it grows to be more different to LoL) it'd be much more useful.

Starting out that way is fine while you come to grips with the mechanics, but fairly soon (a few dozen matches perhaps) you're going to want to branch out. A large part of Dota is the drafting, and knowing "oh they picked Sniper and our team still doesn't have a gap-closing ganker" is one of the keys to sucess.

He probably had a Blink Dagger as well, which lets you short distance teleport on a 13 second cooldown.
Oh I see, thanks! Sounds good but also like there's a lot to learn... I know it's boring but I really do like the idea of picking just the one character and (for now at least) sticking with them until I've really got the concepts down. Definitely sounds like he had blink dagger too, he was coming from no where and regularly ganking.

Thanks again for all of your help and advice guys :)

Grakl

I'm watching a game between LGD.int and Rattlesnake and supports on both teams (Crystal Maiden, Naga, Veno) are grabbing midas. Could someone tell me why? I assume it's because they think the game will last a while so midas will help get gold to help out in the late game? I know it can pay itself off relatively quick though, so if a support gets it early it's probably incredibly useful.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh I see, thanks! Sounds good but also like there's a lot to learn... I know it's boring but I really do like the idea of picking just the one character and (for now at least) sticking with them until I've really got the concepts down. Definitely sounds like he had blink dagger too, he was coming from no where and regularly ganking.

Thanks again for all of your help and advice guys :)

As frustrating as it must have been for you the mental image of a bunch of new players getting wrecked by a Blink Dagger Aghanims Tiny is really really funny to me

Razzer

Good points, thank you - I feel like I need to at the very least play through the entire tutorial... the first two sections were very boring coming from a LoL point of view, but I imagine the more indepth stuff (and as it grows to be more different to LoL) it'd be much more useful

As Steve pointed out afterwards, the tutorials are more aimed at those completely new to the genre, so don't worry too much about it. The only thing to be that aware of with regards to last hitting mechanics is denying. If you can understand that one of the biggest differences to how the laning phase plays out should be a lot clearer. The guides are the are tool you will be able to take advantage of.

And lastly, don't be afraid to ask other GAFfers for practice matches etc. I'm sure plenty of people would be willing to teach a newer player.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I'm watching a game between LGD.int and Rattlesnake and supports on both teams (Crystal Maiden and Veno) are grabbing midas. Could someone tell me why? I assume it's because they think the game will last a while so midas will help get gold to help out in the late game? I know it can pay itself off relatively quick though, so if a support gets it early it's probably incredibly useful.

xp and gold for someone that won't farm much

also china. I don't like it in most cases (that support could have an early Mek, Euls, pipe, or force). Midas sets them back for another 10 mins. fckn china

Grakl I'm guna give milkman the dragon D in pokemon next week just for u

Razzer

also china. I don't like it in most cases (that support could have an early Mek, Euls, pipe, or force. Midas sets them back for another 10 mins. fckn china

Pretty much this. The midas craze started in China where the passive style of play didn't punish it so it thrived and became popular. As soon as DK actually went aggressive on it the teams trying to use it lost badly. In the western scene it is having much less success as teams try it and find that early aggression just punishes it too easily.

Grakl

also china. I don't like it in most cases (that support could have an early Mek, Euls, pipe, or force. Midas sets them back for another 10 mins. fckn china

he better fuckin enjoy that

Pretty much this. The midas craze started in China where the passive style of play didn't punish it so it thrived and became popular. As soon as DK actually went aggressive on it the teams trying to use it lost badly. In the western scene it is having much less success as teams try it and find that early aggression just punishes it too easily.

Aight, thanks for the replies. Makes sense.

Gaaraz

As frustrating as it must have been for you the mental image of a bunch of new players getting wrecked by a Blink Dagger Aghanims Tiny is really really funny to me
Heh :D One of the first thing I concentrated on buying were boots that I could activate to run considerably quicker, and also (I believe) with no clip... but they didn't help much at all

As Steve pointed out afterwards, the tutorials are more aimed at those completely new to the genre, so don't worry too much about it. The only thing to be that aware of with regards to last hitting mechanics is denying. If you can understand that one of the biggest differences to how the laning phase plays out should be a lot clearer. The guides are the are tool you will be able to take advantage of.

And lastly, don't be afraid to ask other GAFfers for practice matches etc. I'm sure plenty of people would be willing to teach a newer player.
Sounds great, thank you! I'll skip the tutorials but hopefully when I get a bit more time (maybe this weekend) I'll ask on here for a practise match to help me get used to the game :)

Also, regarding denying... after a quick Google it looks like I can A + Click one of my team's minions to kill them instantly and 'deny' the other team the gold/XP boost... is that right?

G.ZZZ

31 keys. My leviathan whale blade was a good investment, bought at 7, now it's at 12. As an immortal with a nifty effect, i predict it will just go up and up and up and then it will be my pension when i'll stop working, 40 years from now.

Grakl

Also, regarding denying... after a quick Google it looks like I can A + Click one of my team's minions to kill them instantly and 'deny' the other team the gold/XP boost... is that right?

Denying is the same thing as last hitting, but instead it's just on your creeps. You can also deny allied heroes and towers. And yup, the gold/XP thing is right.

kazooie___

Neo Member
Heh :D One of the first thing I concentrated on buying were boots that I could activate to run considerably quicker, and also (I believe) with no clip... but they didn't help much at all

Sounds great, thank you! I'll skip the tutorials but hopefully when I get a bit more time (maybe this weekend) I'll ask on here for a practise match to help me get used to the game :)

Well not instantly, when your creep is 50% or lower hp you can attack him with A + click and you have to 'last hit' your creep, it doesn't die instantly

Characters have different turn rates and casting animation times (e.g. Echo Slam is instant and Fissure is like 1.2s). In addition attack animations being good or poor or different heroes having vastly different starting damages can make last hitting much more difficult.

If you are having trouble try getting a quelling blade and making sure you are facing a target you want to last hit to reduce the time to attack.

Also I found Dota easier to learn than LoL as a sidenote (Due to in game guides / builds / being able to read what all spells on all heroes do and see their stats)

Also make sure you pick a close server to you.

Hmm thanks for the advice, think I'll try it again.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Not instantly. A-Click will have you attack an allied creep if its health is below like 20%, but its still just your attack, so it deals the corresponding level of damage. Basically if your attack would be enough to get a last hit on an enemy creep then it'll be enough to get a deny on an allied creep, and you'll know if you did it right because this ghostly exclamation mark will pop up.

KingKong

how have they still not fixed the dailymotion stream? the playoffs are going to be impossible to watch if they're struggling with 8k viewers

Razzer

As others have mentioned, it is last hitting your own creeps rather than instantly killing them. This means the laning phase plays out differently to LOL. Someone like Boken could probably explain this better as I have only watched friends play LOL rather than play it myself, but what I gathered is that the emphasis there is more on harassment via your skills and generally how you directly interact with the enemy champions to gain an advantage. In dota, there is more placed on your base damage and using this in order to gain a CS advantage, particularly in the mid lane. If you have higher damage than your opponent, then you should be trying to not let them get any last hits by denying your own creeps as well as getting farm yourself. This way you can get a gold and experiance advantage which you can use to get kills on them as you will be stronger. Because of this however, the hero with less damage is going to be trying to disrupt your rhythm so that they can get creeps themselves. This may be by harassing you, especially if they are ranged and you are melee, or by just trying to kill you, perhaps with a bit of help from another lane. You mentioned that you may be playing just Juggernaut for now, so some advice would be.

Buy a quelling blade. This allows you to last hit more easily, especially as Jugg has already got ok damage to begin with. Use this to gain that CS advantage I talked about. Next, if you are against ranged heroes you will need a lot of regen. You are melee, so they will attack you every time you come near to last hit. A stout shield is also recommended, but you will not be able to afford a QB, a shield and lots of regen so you will have to decide on this. Getting boots is always priority one (with some exceptions that aren't relevant to you). A magic stick into a magic wand is also extremely useful and efficient with your gold. Beyond this it really becomes up to you how you want to play the hero. I'm sure others could give you more advance tips on Jugg item choices.

ViviOggi

So... will we get a patch this week?

Yes

xqSRMp6.gif

You can start hitting creeps at below 50%, towers at 10%.

Anyone have Doom counter tips? I'm getting owned by him a lot, recently,
In lane? Doom has no armor and no lane presence. Just shit on him.

In jungle? Ward an gank the jungle repeatedly. He ha very little in the way of escapes and is often floating at around 50% hp or so. He's shit before 6, and still kinda shit after 6. Just go get him.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I was a Doom in a lane once and I got shit on. :(

In lane? Doom has no armor and no lane presence. Just shit on him.

In jungle? Ward an gank the jungle repeatedly. He ha very little in the way of escapes and is often floating at around 50% hp or so. He's shit before 6, and still kinda shit after 6. Just go get him.

Well most of the trouble is like mid game when he turns team fights into 4v5s. Although I have to admit he wasn't really ganked in those games.

LiQuid!

Fuck people picking support and not actually supporting.

Welcome to the trenches. Make yourself at home.

Still have nightmares of the wanabe carry Dazzle I had in my lane, auto attacking creeps, going out of his way to steal last hits from me so he could buy a Dagon...

http://dotabuff.com/matches/364281719

I wish reporting these people did any good whatsoever but it doesn't. You just have to eat the loss and hope the next "support" you get dealt in a game isn't as big of a shithead.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Went 8-1 as Doom, then just lost my last 4, looks like the party's over. :(

Streaks like that are frustrating though because after that winning run I was suddenly on the worst scrub teams ever assembled. I imagine I was against those scrub teams at first though since it shouldn't be that easy to win with Doom, he's like not even good.

Artanisix

New Meepo is so sick just like I thought. New build is definitely net / geo / geo / ult / poof / poof / poof / poof. Very good kill potential early.

Hylian7

New Meepo is so sick just like I thought. New build is definitely net / geo / geo / ult / poof / poof / poof / poof. Very good kill potential early.
Two Geos before ult? I've done 1-1-1 and had great success with that. The in + out nukes on both Meepos do wonders, even at level 1.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I wish reporting these people did any good whatsoever but it doesn't.

Well since he didn't actually do anything wrong, nothing should happen. I don't know why you would waste reports on people who are just bad players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom