• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Shagbark, my most valuable item -_-

I'm tempted to get a few of my most desired items within my budget lately. Any advice on the best way to go about this? Is there some kind of market-watcher for sniping deals or anything? It doesn't seem like trading keys for these nets much savings.

Nyx Dagon
Timebreaker/Battlefury
Forgewing
Pudge pants

Check http://dota2traders.com/ the items might be cheaper as real money is more valuable than steambux.

ViviOggi

Hi all, I'm pretty new to dota but I have a question. I have less than 100 matches played, but I feel like I'm being paired against players with much more exp than me at times. When I check some of my teammates dotabuff accounts they have hundreds more games than me, and although I don't get trolled often I do get the occasional brazilian guy that complains and pings me because I don't initiate on 2v4 teamfights with him. Is the only way to play with other noobs like myself to play limited hero mode?

http://dotabuff.com/players/4228030

Wins and games played don't really mean much, some learn faster than others and investing a few hours into watching tutorials/reading general guides puts you miles ahead of any player who doesn't. I've checked a few of your games and every Dotabuff-enabled player there with around 100-400 games played has a sub-50% winrate, some even go as far as below 44%. So while they're not technically newbies to the game they're still at a pretty low skill level.

I'd say just don't bother. There'll be the occasional matchmaking hiccup (especially when differently skilled players forming parties are involved), probably more frequently until you have more games under your belt so you can be placed accurately, but overall matchmaking works pretty well.

But yeah, you should be more likely to meet legitimately new players in LH mode if that's what you want.

traveler

Not Wario
Mine has an autograph from some cyborgmatt dude on it. I think it was worth something before, but I can't imagine anyone would want it now.

shira

Another sing set? He's already getting a Kunkka set from Brontothunder and Danidem based on his beaverly knight:
3db14ddb41.jpg
https://twitter.com/Brontothunder/status/397988619668819968
Hmmm Danidem and Bronto said they wanted the set in the store for Friday. Not the worshop - the Store!!!!

Diretide Friday-ton confirmed!!!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
:D

Still haven't figured out what to put Black's autograph on.

Arc of the Manta dual blade Mythical seems like an obvious choice if you hadn't already considered it.

Griegite

still a junior
I have a question about the GAF Mid Tier tournament and if it's still happening. I found a link to a google docs and am about to add myself and a friend. Can non-gaffers make up some of the team? Or does that take away from the GAF being in the name of the tourney? Maybe it's not even happening? Thanks.

Zeth

Why do people say "Mid" MM? Isn't this no longer surfaced for users ie. no way to tell?

Assuming a person has a winrate of 60% or so, what's the average number of games before someone might theoretically be out of the trench? Or in this mythical "mid mm". I have less than 100 MM matches.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
They should just sell them on the store and whoever wants winter or spring year round can just have them. Maybe make it so that others can't select it off of you though, since I don't know how problematic reloading that giant asset would be on the fly, unlike the huds.

Yeah now that you mention it I'm surprised they haven't started selling custom map skins. I'd be happy to pay for that winter one honestly.

Grakl

Puck shirt is the best and it's restocked, get it while you can. Item's price dropped a ton since I sold mine around the International, though.

Why do people say "Mid" MM? Isn't this no longer surfaced for users ie. no way to tell?

Assuming a person has a winrate of 60% or so, what's the average number of games before someone might theoretically be out of the trench? Or in this mythical "mid mm". I have less than 100 MM matches.

Wins, winrate, number of games all mean nothing.

Also the trench is imaginary.

When you get better you'll face better people that's all there is to it. It might happen so gradually you may not notice though.

When someone asks for mid mm I'm assuming they just don't want someone completely new to the game (oh wait you can deny stuff!) nor do they want some mega hardcore tryhard (don't you know the treant timing from offlane to blocking the camp omg newb).

Zeth

I ordered a Brewmaster shirt a few hours ago that's still "pending", hope it goes through.

Wins, winrate, number of games all mean nothing.

Also the trench is imaginary.

When you get better you'll face better people that's all there is to it. It might happen so gradually you may not notice though.

Thanks, this is what I expected. I'm in no way unhappy with my matchmaking experiences anyway, and I've been playing with friends much more often.

yeah winrate means nothing. I was paired against sneyking (nonstack) and I have like 52% win rate over 2,000 some games. Its about consistency.

bzm

I have a question about the GAF Mid Tier tournament and if it's still happening. I found a link to a google docs and am about to add myself and a friend. Can non-gaffers make up some of the team? Or does that take away from the GAF being in the name of the tourney? Maybe it's not even happening? Thanks.
Its still happening. If you have a team with a couple nongaf thats okay. Ill post a bit later this week about when its going to be, as ive been occupied with exams. If you have a complete team shoot me a pm with their names and dotabuffs.

SamVimes

Its still happening. If you have a team with a couple nongaf thats okay. Ill post a bit later this week about when its going to be, as ive been occupied with exams. If you have a complete team shoot me a pm with their names and dotabuffs.

Yo is it CM or CD? I'm thinking CM but i wanted to make sure.

F!ReW!Re

Unfortunately it would end up with a lot of bitching about the pools.

Yeah I can see what you mean there, but it would've made things more interesting imo, maybe some crazy drafts vs. the standard stuff that we'll probably see a lot with CM.

It's all good anyway.

So I woke up are 6am this morning to play a match before my dentist appointment, and for some reason the "find match" (or whatever it's called) button was missing. So no doto for me.

85% WR in recent games.
Time to start losing.

You lucky bastard. I'm 5 - 11 in the last month.

I would say they're referring more to seeing an engagement in progress and backing away, as opposed to going in and dying too. That doesn't mean you never help your teammates, just in that particular instance it's not worth trying to save them when you're only going to lose your own life along with them. Next time they're up, go together. Leaving them for 20 minutes when the other teams mid was constantly ganking was a mistake. Particularly the first time Viper went top (the first time he went bottom he was invis and killed Slarder too quick to react), he and Void were playing ring around the rosie with the tower. If you had TP'd, you could have turned it around on Viper.

DK's stun has a decent range, so there was potential for kills top. Especially if you got the jump on Silencer, since he is paper thin and Zeus hits like a truck early game (his W, anyway).

Alright. I'm gonna play mid more often and practice being more active in the early game like that Viper.

It's good that you can see your mistakes and know what you should have done differently. That's how you improve. The wards would not only have given you the peace of mind to push mid tower, but also advance warning to your team of which way Viper was heading.

You definitely weren't completely responsible for the loss, you guys lost as a team in game and in the draft. I can however see how your teammates would be upset with you, as you left them to fend for themselves until both teams went 5 man (22 minutes or so in). You played well once the game advanced to 5 man, so good job there.

Yeah, they're random people you probably won't ever play with again. I'd say in most cases ignore them. It depends how they phrase what they say. If it's "you're shit" or more likely "your shit" lol, without anything explaining why, then ignore them. If they give you advice (coupled with shit talk), try and understand why they are saying what they are saying. Are they only looking for someone to blame, or is there a legitimate point they are making?

Well in my case I guess it was both. They were only seeing my mistakes while ignoring the blatant mistakes they made (their terrible hero picks, to name one). I have no problem getting called out for a mistake. I do have a problem with people who point fingers first, and can only see the faults of others (my dad has often been guilty of this, and it drives me nuts).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I doubt that'll make it in, the color change is too drastic. It's basically SK's palette and they're already both insectoid thingies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
indeed.

if solo queuing: it damn sure is time.

if 5-manning: not necessarily.
Mostly solo or 2 or 3 man games.
Btw I asked about a week ago and didn't get an answer:

Tips for playing Undying?

I just don't get him - he doesn't gel very well with me. No disable so he can't really solo kill ever. Laning he's pretty good at zoning, but that's mostly just annoying. Maybe worse against a melee (STR particularly) carry. Team fights he's kind of mediocre too unless it's in a choke. One of the better situations is sieging an outer tower putting up a tombstone underneath it to dissuade people from engaging, but that doesn't really work on T3s.

And of course he's stronger in a tri vs tri situation, but that's been rare for awhile and only going to be seen less going forward with the current state of the game. Sort of like a shittier Visage in that respect. Feels like one if the weakest heroes in the pool right now. Hard to take advantage of him early in the current meta-game and he has one of the worst late game falloffs (bottom 10 for sure).
His strength is setting up people so they have -200 -300 HP and THEY CANNOT HEAL THAT DAMAGE BACK so you get easy kills when either they over extend and 2 autos get them into tombstone bloodlust range (then heal or nuke them) or someone with you helps clean up your kills.

His job in team fights is to drop TombStone, stay alive, drain STR, burst heal or nuke for 400, drain STR, stay alive, and stay alive.

Play him with huge balls to force people to overextend on you then drain str and burst heal or nuke them. Bonus points for having wand charges.

I really like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom