• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.
no dota 2 on best pc game, really? The most popular game on steam?

VGA still garbo, its too bad all the new games get announced on there so I have to watch it.

shira

frostivus_gift_naughty_large.png

I want muh naughty gifts

IceMarker

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡GREEVILING

FROSTIVUS ノ( º _ ºノ)

Just give me any Christmas-related cosmetic item farming event Volvo.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE HERO PARITY

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The only thing I want from Valve for Xmas:

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE LANGUAGE RESTRICTED SERVERS

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
any ranking system that puts me above 1.09, milkman, ksan, pillow, duesy, gofu, procarbine, tswift, loki_demi and bzm is a near perfect rating system if i do say so myself

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
http://i.imgur.com/Zy3xAE5.png[IMG]

well at least i beat sanjay despite not having played in 3 months[/QUOTE]

Can we start an official "At least I beat Sanjay" tier?

[img]http://i.imgur.com/nuqT3VY.png

Nirvana

lol i cant even use my mic because somebody has to make a comment about how girls dont play games and i must just be a gay guy with a girl voice and then proceed to say homophobic comments the whole game

smh

Are you playing Dota on Xbox Live? I remember this happening when I played Xbox, but Dota players are generally more concerned on whether or not you bought boots first instead of regen.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
sensei pls teach

it's all about being unselfish boken, u see those other players up there think their hot shit but they are all stuckup selfish prideful players and the dsr knows this u kno; when i play dota i play as 5 entities, i become my team, we become unstoppable like the 5 parts of a pacific rim robot working together in perfect harmony slaying everything in our path like a wrecking ball we've never hit so hard b4

u feel me?

Boken

Banned
it's all about being unselfish boken, u see those other players up there think their hot shit but they are all stuckup selfish prideful players and the dsr knows this u kno; when i play dota i play as 5 entities, i become my team, we become unstoppable like the 5 parts of a pacific rim robot working together in perfect harmony slaying everything in our path like a wrecking ball we've never hit so hard b4

u feel me?
yea i hear ya man
so i have to be like part buddha n part vishnu and offer self to greater entity of victory telling them that i've been here all along why cant you see, you belong with me and the multiple arms represent the team becoming one and having amazing power
lol i cant even use my mic because somebody has to make a comment about how girls dont play games and i must just be a gay guy with a girl voice and then proceed to say homophobic comments the whole game

smh
i know youre in a relationship and all but wanna play together?

Had 1304 rating, played one losing game where I nearly singlehandedly carried the game as Sand King and went down to 800.

Seems legit?

I think they changed the formula again. I went from 1150 (pro) to 885 within 4 games I lost and dropped down to Emerald, however it still says i'm top 1%. Feels good, bro.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
BZM, is the guy who made Mydotaskill trolling us? Does the maths he is talking about actually do the things he says they should? It sounds like he is talking technobabble and not real mathematics.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1s4ezx/mydotaskillcom_and_why_it_should_be_ignored/ said:
Hello,
Creator here.
You are assuming it's impossible to use anything else than Elo based system. I get this criticism all the time - You can't predict players placement in the MM without access to full player data!
Of course I can't. I can't if I use Elo.
But I am NOT using Elo. That's how it's possible to estabilish your bracket.
What I am doing is looking at xx of your last games ( 20 right now, soon will add other options and a chart to track your progress ). Then, I take each of those games, take as much parameters of each one of them and convert each one of those features into hyperdimensional space. I then use special a special kernel function to separate this hyperspace into two parts. Pro games and games of a normal, mortal player.
How does it look like? In the basic version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3liCbRZPrZA[1]
But in many more dimensions.
Then, I calculate where each one of your games is placed. The more sure I am your game was pro-level, the more points you will get for it. The more sure the model is that this is some "scrub-level-game" the less points you will get.
It's absolutely atrocious having people that didn't spend one hour on this problem counter every counter-argument with "But it's not Elo!" Guess what, Elo sucks. Guess what, with private data, Elo sucks even more.
Right now, by calculating average DSR of the two teams in a match, I was able to predict the outcome in the 65% of cases. Supposedly, Valve's ELO matches you each time with around 50% chance of winning.
This means one of those things:
1) Non Elo based ranking is better way to matchmake in team games.
Elo may be great for individual skill assessment but that doesn't make it the best solution for team-oriented game. Even Gabe Newell said they are NOT satisfied with their system and are looking for something new.
2) Valve IS enforcing the 50% winrate rule.
In one way or another, they force a 50% winrate by sometimes making you take really unfair matches. I highly doubt it.
Please refrain of this Elo argument. Elo is not the end of the world and it's absolutely NOT the only way of doing things.
Mydotaskill.com is still in an early phase. My next step is combining the first iteration of algorithm ( your individual hero performance ) with this latest generation ( that assigns you a Valvesque MM rating ) to create one, robust rating algorithm that accounts both for individual skill, team oriented nature of the game AND fixes the weakness of the Elo solution.
Best regards

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Had a Clock today flip his shit because my friend asked for mid first, wouldn't stop talking shit + mass pinging us, then moved our items out of the courier. How do people like that even function

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This guy gets points in my books for being bold with his methods I guess.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIASE YOUR KERNALS ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Vaporak

BZM, is the guy who made Mydotaskill trolling us? Does the maths he is talking about actually do the things he says they should? It sounds like he is talking technobabble and not real mathematics.

As someone who'd done a bit of topology it sounds like he's talking about Hausdorff Distance. I've never heard the term Kernel Function though.

Wok

So he clusters games in two categories, pro or normal, depending on all the features he can find (kills, deaths, assists, objects, game length, etc.), and then heuristically infers a player score based on this classification, and finally predicts the outcome of the matches based on the average player score in each team. There are so many ways what he does could go wrong, and even if the classification step was done right, the following is dumb and won't work since people play different heroes all the time: even Valve got it right and treats each pair (player, hero) independently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom