• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinypogs

* Throws up hands* I swear it feels like I'm never going to train myself out of frustration buying items I don't need. I always think oh I'll never get enough for expensive item x and y keeps happening so fuck it, lemme buy this thing that will only marginally help but it will make me feel better. I am therapy shopping in a game :(

* Adds keeping focused to list of things to get better at.

dmshaposv

One of my favorite heroes in the game. It's all about being quick and efficient. By 6 you should have 3-1-1-1, take that point in Phase Shift at 1 or 2. You can dodge so many things for ZERO MANA! It is easily Puck's best skill. Here is a list of only SOME of the things you can dodge:

Ranged right clicks
Shadow strike
Scream of Pain
Sonic Wave
Storm Bolt
Spirit Lance
Chain Frost
Finger of Death (dodge window is extremely small, but possible)
Laguna Blade (similar to FoD)
Earth Spike
Impale
Last Word (watch the debuff timer, hit it right before it ends to avoid damage as well as silence and disarm)
And much much more!

Remember silence breaks channeling spells, so if you see Sand King charging up an ult or in his Sandstorm, blink on him and silence him. Dream Coil breaks channeling on initial cast and the break stun. You can stop TPs with it, like S4 did in the grand final of TI3.

Blink is the best item you can get, especially once you have 3-4 points of Phase Shift. You can use it to wait out the 3 second damage cooldown on Blink then Blink immediately, or shift queue it.

Puck is my favourite hero too. So much fun setting up kills and juking.

The biggest problem in pubs is that, you will have a good early/mid game and then puck becomes sort of useless in late game. Especially against imbalanced "all carry" teams people draft. I've lost so many games with puck just because my team decided to go well into late game (after a solid early/mid game) and then decided not to push towers and instead chase after kills.

ElyrionX

Puck is my favourite hero too. So much fun setting up kills and juking.

The biggest problem in pubs is that, you will have a good early/mid game and then puck becomes sort of useless in late game. Especially against imbalanced "all carry" teams people draft. I've lost so many games with puck just because my team decided to go well into late game (after a solid early/mid game) and then decided not to push towers and instead chase after kills.

Yep, thats how I lose a lot of my Puck games as well. You would have to snowball really hard as Puck to avoid that from happening and the only way to do that is to get a Dagon 5 which really is not a great item for him in most games.

Arkanius

Skeleton King is still in our hearts

E3rjR0Z.png

So we'll see today (in the test client at least).

I hope SK isn't the only hero remake. Shadow Fiend, Slardar, Zeus, Clockwerk and so on would be nice.

...I wonder if Blizzard has an issue with Nyx and Ogre Magi. Both look wayyyyyyy a lot like their Dota counterpart, and if they had issue with SK, it seems likely those two will be changed too. Trouble is, both have cosmetics, Nyx has a lot, and they're very specific to Nyx's shape and Ogre having two heads in those spots.

What it is about Drow that attracts fetish sets?

An update to Lion's old head cosmetic is finally getting in

Haunted

I love this Skeleton King/Frostivus business. Exciting!

Dota2 would be so much better if combat was turnbased using cards.
Just play Hearthstone, they ripped off a ton of Dota 2 heroes. "Kobold Geomancer" - yeah, right, that's just a crudely drawn Meepo. Fuck, it even has characters that are directly named after Valve's creations, like [Sylvanas] Windrunner and Ogre Magi, I mean, c'mon.

Calidor

So it looks like we are getting new heroes (remade SK, Arc Warden, Terrorblade, Tresdin) ranked MM and holdout on next patch...

alive gaem!

I'd keep expectations in check

Wraith King, Legion Commander and Ranked Matchmaking are really all that I'm confident are coming based on the teaser.

Although that note does seem very Soul Keeper-esque. Being trapped and needing to escape and find sanctuary, and the big bolded "SOUL" seems like the sort of thing they'd use for his lore.

But there's been absolutely no progress shown of SC. Although that doesn't mean much after Earth Spirit appeared out of thin air.

LC is definitely in, there's really no reason to doubt she wouldn't be in this patch based on the teasers.

The soul thing is ambiguous, people have tried to match up the symbol with anti mage's tattoo's on his head. I think it's likely that he's either in the patch or is the hero next after LC.

There isn't much evidence pointing toward any hero remakes (besides Wraith King, duh) based on the poster, other than SF has been worked on for awhile.

Ranked MM has already been confirmed for next patch.

I think arc warden is a bit of a stretch based on the evidence.

LC is definitely in, there's really no reason to doubt she wouldn't be in this patch based on the teasers.

The soul thing is ambiguous, people have tried to match up the symbol with anti mage's tattoo's on his head. I think it's likely that he's either in the patch or is the hero next after LC.

There isn't much evidence pointing toward any hero remakes (besides Wraith King, duh) based on the poster, other than SF has been worked on for awhile.

Shadowfiend? Souls? Remake?

Shadow Fiend's major remake probably wouldn't be a major highlight of the update. Storm's only was because of the other two spirits and Veno, Dazzle, Pudge and Gyro had their major updates on a random patch. (I do think SF remake is in this patch btw, but not teased, just because it was basically done at TI3)

I think SK's remake is being made into a major update because it's such a huge change, basically reinventing his entire character. It'll be the most significant hero design change Dota 2 has ever had, so they probably felt the need to make it a major update.

inkls

Shadow Fiend's major remake probably wouldn't be a major highlight of the update. Storm's only was because of the other two spirits and Veno, Dazzle, Pudge and Gyro had their major updates on a random patch. (I do think SF remake is in this patch btw, but not teased, just because it was basically done at TI3)

So what you are saying is that if Legion commander was introduced with say, another hero, some kind of pit, lord and that the lore of this hero would be linked to Legion commander and SF, an SF VU would make sense? A demon update? The lords of the abyss?

I think SK's remake is being made into a major update because it's such a huge change, basically reinventing his entire character. It'll be the most significant hero design change Dota 2 has ever had, so they probably felt the need to make it a major update.

Again, might be only for the event or an actual full rework, we'll see when its over.

Also since its related with the current topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SEkF9Od4Fc

Calidor

So what you are saying is that if Legion commander was introduced with say, another hero, some kind of pit, lord and that the lore of this hero would be linked to Legion commander and SF, an SF VU would make sense? A demon update? The lords of the abyss?

I'll play:

1) Arc Warden, Legion Commander, Soul Keeper

2) Phoenix, Winter Wyvern

3) Oracle, Pit Lord

4) Techies

inkls

I'm surprised there's nothing about pit lord/abyssal underlord being hinted. I though DotA 2's LC lore hinted strongly at the demon commander being him due to the teleport ability. There's also the mist below the poster that could be a reference to the mist in Legion commander's lore.

I'm surprised there's nothing about pit lord/abyssal underlord being hinted. I though DotA 2's LC lore hinted strongly at the demon commander being him due to the teleport ability. There's also the mist below the poster that could be a reference to the mist in Legion commander's lore.

Really early lore for LC had hinted at Abaddon being connected to her, but Abbs came out and had no lore related to anything like LC's and was not really evil or anything in particular so it seems that lore from back in Spring might not be relevant anymore.

I know we really don't need to split up the playerbase any more with more modes, but I would really like to have a divine courage all random mode where everyone is locked to the item choices. It would be so dumb.

KingKong

I agree it's a stretch, but considering they added 3 posters on day 2, and one poster clearly spells out Legion Commander, having the other two posters give hints related to unreleased heroes (soul, anti-mage face, warden) either means they're coming today or in the next patch. Why else write 'warden' instead of guardian or something?

Also Legion Commander seemed basically finished months and months ago so it's not crazy that they would add more than one hero

I agree it's a stretch, but considering they added 3 posters on day 2, and one poster clearly spells out Legion Commander, having the other two posters give hints related to unreleased heroes (soul, anti-mage face, warden) either means they're coming today or in the next patch. Why else write 'warden' instead of guardian or something?

Also Legion Commander seemed basically finished months and months ago so it's not crazy that they would add more than one hero

at any rate I hope we find out tonight, but its not unheard of to have test client up on thurs or friday.

WK Lore
The victim of a longevity spell that backfired, the Wraith King Ostarion has built an empire from the bones of his enemies. He lives only to extend his reach, for as long as he is perpetually building and adding to his domain he cannot die. The walls of his palace are formed of fired bone; the streets are paved with bones of every sort of creature and every enemy; and even the wood and other natural features of his land have been swept away and replaced with replicas formed of bone. From the Ivory Forest to Ostarion's towering Throne of Bone, nothing happens in the Empire of Bones without the full knowledge of its Skeleton King.

Uh... it doesn't really make sense anymore for him to be obsessed with bone. Chances are they just replace his lines referring to his own name and use 100% of his other lines, including all the bone puns.

I wonder if those couple of months of small content wasn't Valve working slowly, but rather them working with Blizzard to get the clear on everything going forward and redesigning, getting the clear on the redesign, and working from there.

It doesn't seem to be a coincidence all these changes came after that lull and after marketing for HotS started ramping up.

I'm really concerned for Nyx. I like his design a lot, but he's basically just Anub'arak with a different head. Working with that design around his cosmetics seems like it'll be impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom