• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian7

Learned a lot from all the Lone Druid games today. I guess something I never really understood: Where is LD's place in the 1-5 system? Is he more like the 2 or 3 and is meant to just push? I always was under the impression he could be a 1 but people say he falls off.

ksan

Learned a lot from all the Lone Druid games today. I guess something I never really understood: Where is LD's place in the 1-5 system? Is he more like the 2 or 3 and is meant to just push? I always was under the impression he could be a 1 but people say he falls off.

Generally he's called a 3, because he offlanes, but if you strictly go by farming priority he's an offlane 2.
In scrims I used to run him as a 1 when he was new to DotA 2, usually with Chen or Ench and old Lesh, and you could nearly always finish before the other carry had reasonable farm.

Sibylus

Banned
Lesser likely cause could be bad graphics drivers, I guess. Update 'em or roll back to old ones and see if that helps anything.

Forkball

Halloween should be interesting this year. There were some lines about a possible horde mode, I wonder how that will work in Dota 2. I'll miss trick or treating Rosh though.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I've got a 4 Naga games under my belt, mostly all of which have been disasters. I still definitely want to play her more tho because I think all her abilities are useful as heck. I've tried 2 games each as support and carry, but should I just stick with carrying? It seems like a waste of a good carry to use her as support since she seems to be very easy to farm with.

shira

StarLadder750.jpg

LAN upperbracket finals BO3
http://www.joindota.com/en/live/jDRed
Navi vs Empire
t1381410000z1.png

Friday, October 11th
13/6/3 CEST/EST/PST - Sweden Alliance vs. Russia RoX.KIS (Best of Three)
16/9/6 CEST/EST/PST - Lower Bracket Semi-Finals (Best of Three)
Saturday, October 12th
13/6/3 CEST/EST/PST - Winner's Bracket Finals (Best of Three)
16/9/6 CEST/EST/PST - Lower Bracket Finals (Best of Three)
Sunday, October 13th
1930/1230/930 CEST/EST/PST - Grand Final (Best of Five)

Nymerio

Question: When playing mid, when are you supposed to start ganking? I usually try to go for ganks if I get a nice rune, or after I get key items/abilities. Is that wrong? I'm asking because I've been yelled at a couple of time for not coming to gank when I was only like level 5. I don't want to leave lane only to stand around in jungle waiting for something to happen.

About offlane: My friend likes to play offlane bounty hunter. What's your priority when you're doing that? Just trying to get levels fast and start ganking as early as possible? He usually starts by blocking the enemy pull camp and tries to go for courier snipes, but I'm not sure if that is effective.

About dual lanes: Does it make sense to stack/pull if your support has to leave your lane? I was playing AM the other day (first time, yay :| ) and my friend was playing sandking, we were laning against a beastmaster and a shadow shaman. My friend was constantly trying to stack and pull but that left me to lane alone against both of their heroes. Makes it really hard to go in for last hits when you get harrassed by two heroes.

Its not a heating issue. Thats the first thing I looked at. It's software related, dota 2 or otherwise.

Are either of you only running Dota 2 for hours on end at load? Same issues might not recur in other games if you're just jumping in and out.

The stuttering can happen any time, but everything first happens before laning phase ends. Also in the main menu.

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this.

SamVimes

Question: When playing mid, when are you supposed to start ganking? I usually try to go for ganks if I get a nice rune, or after I get key items/abilities. Is that wrong? I'm asking because I've been yelled at a couple of time for not coming to gank when I was only like level 5. I don't want to leave lane only to stand around in jungle waiting for something to happen.

Depends on your hero. Generally at level 5 unless you find an haste rune and the closest lane is really out of position you really shouldn't leave your lane.
It also depends a lot on your matchup, generally if i'm playing for example QoP against SF i want to kill him at least once or twice before leaving the lane because if i leave the lane and don't get a quick kill elsewhere it's really hard to come back to midlane without getting wrecked.

F!ReW!Re

I generally wait until level 6. Having that ult up is the difference between getting the kill or failing the gank most of the time.
I only go for a gank earlier if I get a favorable rune (speed/dd) or if the lane is screaming for a gank and the enemy is constantly keeping the lane pushed towards our towers.

About offlane: My friend likes to play offlane bounty hunter. What's your priority when you're doing that? Just trying to get levels fast and start ganking as early as possible? He usually starts by blocking the enemy pull camp and tries to go for courier snipes, but I'm not sure if that is effective.

Offlaning is really depended on the hero you are playing as.
In a 1v2 or 1v3 situation you want to be careful and just soak up xp and try to not get killed. (using the wards to block the pull camp)

In a 1v1 situation it's totally different since you can get a lot more last hits and be more aggressive. (still be careful if they have a jungler or if one of the other lanes has a missing hero)

BH just needs the early levels and should go ganking when he reaches level 6.
He does great burst damage and you might even manage to kill of the weak support in a 1v2 situation.
I played a game 2 days ago where I was up against a CM and a Jugg.
I think I got like two kills off on the CM because she kept running to the pull camp on her own and I would just burst her down.

One more thing on BH, I see a lot of people try to "farm" with him, which IMO is just plain wrong/waste of time.

He should get his gold from tracked kills. Just start ganking onwards of hitting lvl 6.

About dual lanes: Does it make sense to stack/pull if your support has to leave your lane? I was playing AM the other day (first time, yay :| ) and my friend was playing sandking, we were laning against a beastmaster and a shadow shaman. My friend was constantly trying to stack and pull but that left me to lane alone against both of their heroes. Makes it really hard to go in for last hits when you get harrassed by two heroes.

You need to communicate with your friend when you want him to pull and when you need him to harass the enemy.
If he is going for the stack/pull you can still go for last hits, but you should be a lot more defensive.
Especially if they have a support with a stun/slow or both of the enemies have stuns/slows in your lane.

Vaporak

Rule of thumb: only gank if you can guarantee you are getting a kill, preferably on an important target. Most mid heroes are mid heroes because they are good in 1v1 and can do well in the mid game with the extra experience and good farm. Most pubs think mid heroes exist so that when they lose their lane someone will come save them. If you just leave mid to go ganking you are gambling away part of your mid game and all your opponents need to do is tower hug for a little bit to foil you.

Nymerio

Depends on your hero. Generally at level 5 unless you find an haste rune and the closest lane is really out of position you really shouldn't leave your lane.
It also depends a lot on your matchup, generally if i'm playing for example QoP against SF i want to kill him at least once or twice before leaving the lane because if i leave the lane and don't get a quick kill elsewhere it's really hard to come back to midlane without getting wrecked.

That's what I thought. Most of the time it comes off like they're loosing their lane and blame it on the mid hero not constantly ganking the lane when they could just play care for a bit.

I generally wait until level 6. Having that ult up is the difference between getting the kill or failing the gank most of the time.
I only go for a gank earlier if I get a favorable rune (speed/dd) or if the lane is screaming for a gank and the enemy is constantly keeping the lane pushed towards our towers.

Offlaning is really depended on the hero you are playing as.
In a 1v2 or 1v3 situation you want to be careful and just soak up xp and try to not get killed. (using the wards to block the pull camp)

In a 1v1 situation it's totally different since you can get a lot more last hits and be more aggressive. (still be careful if they have a jungler or if one of the other lanes has a missing hero)

BH just needs the early levels and should go ganking when he reaches level 6.
He does great burst damage and you might even manage to kill of the weak support in a 1v2 situation.
I played a game 2 days ago where I was up against a CM and a Jugg.
I think I got like to kills off on the CM because she kept running to the pull camp on her own and I would just burst her down.

One more thing on BH, I see a lot of people try to "farm" with him, which IMO is just plain wrong/waste of time.

He should get his gold from tracked kills. Just start ganking onwards of hitting lvl 6.

You need to communicate with your friend when you want him to pull and when you need him to harass the enemy.
If he is going for the stack/pull you can still go for last hits, but you should be a lot more defensive.
Especially if they have a support with a stun/slow or both of the enemies have stuns/slows in your lane.

I already got him away from getting a battlefury. He generally plays well, but he sometimes has these misconceptions that it can take ages to get him away from. Like buying a bottle from the starting gold...

Rule of thumb: only gank if you can guarantee you are getting a kill, preferably on an important target. Most mid heroes are mid heroes because they are good in 1v1 and can do well in the mid game with the extra experience and good farm. Most pubs think mid heroes exist so that when they lose their lane someone will come save them. If you just leave mid to go ganking you are gambling away part of your mid game and all your opponents need to do is tower hug for a little bit to foil you.

That sounds about right. What's most annoying though is when I actually do what they want and come to their lane and nothing happens. It's like a lot of the time people group up and stare at each other from either side of the river.

F!ReW!Re

I already got him away from getting a battlefury. He generally plays well, but he sometimes has these misconceptions that it can take ages to get him away from. Like buying a bottle from the starting gold...

Yeah, BF is horrible on bh.
So much better to go for a quick urn/vlads into deso.

Yeah, BF is horrible on bh.
So much better to go for a quick urn/vlads into deso.

I generally go Bottle, Phase Boots, Drums and BKB. Sometimes Urn instead of Bottle. Gives you enough regen and stats to stay alive long enough to get a bunch of track kills in team fights. I don't think going for damage items first is great on BH, you're just too squishy and his biggest asset is not really his damage but the track movement speed and bonus gold.

solid mike

Hey D2GAF, during pubs, when in a clash in mid or the jungles, how do I know who in the enemy team to target first? Assuming I'm using a support, disabler (because I don't know how to carry), I get confused on who to target first. Let's also assume there's no major crowd control skill on our team such as Ravage, Black Hole, Overgrowth.

Meteorain

Hey D2GAF, during pubs, when in a clash in mid or the jungles, how do I know who in the enemy team to target first? Assuming I'm using a support, disabler (because I don't know how to carry), I get confused on who to target first. Let's also assume there's no major crowd control skill on our team such as Ravage, Black Hole, Overgrowth.

Who's the guy that fucks up your team the most? Not necessarily in damage, but maybe in terms of disabling multiple people or the guy focusing your carry. That is the guy you want to target.

Then if you are one of many support, what is the other guy going to focus? Do you ALSO need to disable the guy he is supporting or can you target someone else? Do you need to chain disable with your fellow support or do you need to help lock down another guy.

I think the main problem there is that AM/SK is a much weaker dual lane. Both melee so you can't really right click harass. SK doesn't have the mana to waste burrow strikes so he can't do much except throw a stun to save you and you would really need ganks to get kills. By comparison shaman has 2 disables and a nuke, Beastmaster has axes and can use the boar to harass too. I think you would really need a tri in that case, one support to pull and another babysit the carry. Also make sure you have a stout shield to block enemy right clicks or help you tank creeps when you have to pull them past the tower.

And your supports sit in the side lanes sapping xp instead of roaming. So you have to somehow win mid solo as well as securing the other lanes too.

G.ZZZ

I think the main problem there is that AM/SK is a much weaker dual lane. Both melee so you can't really right click harass. SK doesn't have the mana to waste burrow strikes so he can't do much except throw a stun to save you and you would really need ganks to get kills. By comparison shaman has 2 disables and a nuke, Beastmaster has axes and can use the boar to harass too. I think you would really need a tri in that case, one support to pull and another babysit the carry. Also make sure you have a stout shield to block enemy right clicks or help you tank creeps when you have to pull them past the tower.

And your supports sit in the side lanes sapping xp instead of roaming. So you have to somehow win mid solo as well as securing the other lanes too.

Yeah SK was a strong roamer, but nowadays, with his mana pool and MS, it's just not worth it. 6.79 80/100/120/140 mana burrowstrike plz

One of my favourite but now... welp.

I want to go for a game so much right now but have to prepare a penal law exam ZZZ

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
playing some HoN, game feels so janky.
and i forgot how horrible concedes are.

I like HoN a lot heh... it's janky-ish and the artstyle is so cluttered it takes a few games to get used to it, but... they're willing to experiment with heroes.

I mean dota 2 is fine, but nothing we haven't played off a warcraft disc you know?

Right now there's what, 5 or so left to implement from the dota 2 roster? Then what? Stagnation?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Halloween should be interesting this year. There were some lines about a possible horde mode, I wonder how that will work in Dota 2. I'll miss trick or treating Rosh though.

Huh? I thought they implemented that ages ago. You just need an enemy team to pick Phantom Lancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom