• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I think I'm going to lay off the invoker for a while, likely 6.85 when he is OP again. What other hero should I practice on? Maybe Timber would be fun. Or maybe Pugna.
You gotta look to the future man not the past.

Tusk, disraptor, undying, omniknight, ogre magi, dazzle, witch doctor, medusa.

These are the heroes of tomorrow. Be ahead of the curve learn them now.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hell has caught up.

Game 1 solo ranked : LD with double midas into SnY and an axe who gave up and afk farmed enemy jungle after 5 minutes plus a pudge who didn't want to mid
vs.
Brood and Lycan and Clock (stack)

Game 2 solo ranked : Against Slark/NP/Viper/Nyx/Abba. NP and Viper get kills and all our towers, rest kinda do middling, but our team has 2 people bad mouthing, carry gets no farm.

Lost both. I want to play real dota again. Game 1 I didn't do great, but I did secure some kills against Lycan with Frostbite and my Ult with their lack of stuns. Game 2 was suffering and I learned the importance of staying the fuck mid and not buying quelling blade. Don't gank before getting boots.

And enemy teams are being a lot better, plus there people I queue with have 600-2000 games, the fuck.

Atlantis

I'm normally not much of a chest purchaser, but my friend really wants those Blueheart Tails for Crystal Maiden so I thought I'd open a few as a favor/gift or whatever.

Six mythicals
and one rare
, no Blueheart Tails. I've never felt so lucky yet unlucky at the same time.

Yes, I know I should've just traded.

CryptiK

I say good day sir!

wbP4v0t.jpg

Now to wait for the other three

NeoGAF, should I make the first game of 2014 when I get home from a party I'm going to a Gorilla Warfare game? I have yet to play that.

I also have no idea what to get outside of Shadow Blade/Daedalus

Nymerio

Do you want an Armlet and a DP crown or 30€ in steambux?

Man, I just checked the items, not really anything for heroes I like to play. Shadow Blade would be nice, but with my luck I'd probably get that ridiculous Invoker collar. CM staff would be kinda cool, but I prefer the Force Staff or Eul's.

I'll just sell them and rage later when my friend opens his and gets both Shadow Blade and Dagon.

ViviOggi

Bit late on this but what was the bkb for milk? Looks like they only have the venge stun and you can dark pact everything else. Just curious if I might be able to use it more myself.

In theory they could chain Magic Missile into 2/3 familiar stuns, Krob silence fucks Slark up hard and you're also negating all of Timberlake's damage potential plus a lot of Visage's through Soul Assumption.

Razzer

In theory they could chain Magic Missile into 2/3 familiar stuns, Krob silence fucks Slark up hard and you're also negating all of Timberlake's damage potential plus a lot of Visage's through Soul Assumption.

Seems fair enough. I guess I'm just more risky when I play slark, I rely on kiting through the ulti's Passive and using the active in a bad spot. That silence does sound dangerous though.

ElyrionX

Man, I just checked the items, not really anything for heroes I like to play. Shadow Blade would be nice, but with my luck I'd probably get that ridiculous Invoker collar. CM staff would be kinda cool, but I prefer the Force Staff or Eul's.

I'll just sell them and rage later when my friend opens his and gets both Shadow Blade and Dagon.

That Invoker collar is awesome wtf.

And that CM staff has a unique particle effect not found on any of her other staffs.

Nymerio

That Invoker collar is awesome wtf.

And that CM staff has a unique particle effect not found on any of her other staffs.

We're talking about this:

NuFG3qI.png

right?

Absolutely not my type of item and I don't even play invoker. CM staff looks really cool, but I've already sold the first box and I have absolutely zero confidence in my luck.

Edit: Gonna buy me some nice stuff with these steam bucks, starting with that shagbark hud. I've had the ti3 hud for far too long.

cripterion

I love the mechanics of this game but oh so tired of russians players invading eastern euro servers, it fucking ruins my will to play it. I literally get paired up 1 game out of 2 if not more with russians only people, usually very obnoxious, they straight up claim mid, start talking in russian. My last game the guy was calling N-words, constantly pinging, drawing shit on the minimap you couldn't even see a damn thing in terms of enemy movement, just straight up bs.
This game is based on teamwork but it's impossible to play with people like that.

I choose english and eastern europe servers in settings for a reason yet doesn't seem to work out. I'm usually not one for this but this is a game that I'd like to be enforcing matchmaking based on IP.

manfestival

ok so I gotta ask. every now and then I like to go sny on doom depending on how my team is doing (I love the stats and usually pick it against more balanced teams). However, it seems like people freak out over the choice. Is there something I am not seeing that supposedly makes sny bad for doom? I mean I have seen some guys in these tournaments(I only watch twitch at work lol) and they make drums from time to time.

Acinixys

I love the mechanics of this game but oh so tired of russians players invading eastern euro servers, it fucking ruins my will to play it. I literally get paired up 1 game out of 2 if not more with russians only people, usually very obnoxious, they straight up claim mid, start talking in russian. My last game the guy was calling N-words, constantly pinging, drawing shit on the minimap you couldn't even see a damn thing in terms of enemy movement, just straight up bs.
This game is based on teamwork but it's impossible to play with people like that.

I choose english and eastern europe servers in settings for a reason yet doesn't seem to work out. I'm usually not one for this but this is a game that I'd like to be enforcing matchmaking based on IP.

Many people keep EVERY region/language ticked. I play exclusively on the South Africa server, and we also have massive amounts of internationals joining. Every 3 games or so theres a Russian/Chinese/Brazilian etc player. Just gotta deal with it man. Its like kids insulting your mother in Call of Duty. Just a fact of life

dmshaposv

You forgot the part where they only choose Viper, Spirit Breaker, Ursa and Drow.

Nirvana

So then what is so bad about it?

It's just a generally average item, gives decent movement speed, decent damage etc. but the passive maim is pretty useless. Doesn't mean you can't pick it up, but when you compare it to the utility and stats of a Halberd or Manta Style, it's often not worth it to buy SnY instead.

It's a problem for all regions. In South East Asia we have that problem where we might get each player talking in their own native language. So you can have someone cursing in cantonese on his chat, some one else typing in tagalog while another talks in Malay.

It bloody happens, it sucks, but I've learn to live with it.

Haunted

SnY and Vanguard both have some kind of bad reputation within the community, but it's usually overreaction. They're perfectly fine on many heroes, and really good on others. Maybe not the best choice, but people are acting as if picking one of these items up on your 2-3-4 character instead of a manta or drum it instantly loses you the game, which is obviously ridiculous.

Undying + Bristleback is the best #yolo offlane
My man.

My two favourite heroes at the moment.

Obviously, the farther you move west, the fewer Russians there are. USEast > EUWest > EUEast in terms of Russian population.

I've been playing a lot on USEast recently. The slight disadvantage with 140ms ping is worth the lack of Russians and improved GAF stacking. :D

manfestival

It's just a generally average item, gives decent movement speed, decent damage etc. but the passive maim is pretty useless. Doesn't mean you can't pick it up, but when you compare it to the utility and stats of a Halberd or Manta Style, it's often not worth it to buy SnY instead.

I see where you are coming from with this. Yet my main goal usually when playing doom is to be a tankier carry(of course its mostly situational but I tend to go sny/AC heart). To me the stats from sny seem to work better generally with movespeed and the extra stats for the money. If need be then I will always disassemble for halberd over manta.

Also BKB too gewd

There's a lot of bandwagon hate when it comes to item builds. A lot of it seems pretty arbitrary to me.

If you buy drums for the MS it's fine, but buying S&Y for the same reason is bad. Buying drums for the hp is fine, but buying Vanguard for the same reason is SwiftRage. Or like how Alchemist has to get a shadowblade (and not a blink) but Tiny has to get a blink and not a shadowblade. (Someone once literally called gg when they saw our Tiny had shadowblade.) Legion Commander can still get away with one or the other, but Sven isn't supposed to get either.

In fact I find item build nerdery in general is just annoying, it's really lame in particular when the losing team trash talks the winning teams items. "OMG bloodstone Death Prophet/MoM Sniper/Shadowblade Slark so bad" etc when the player they are talking about can practically 1v5 them at that point.

I might be out of line but I feel like item build "book learning" is a easy way for players to make themselves feel superior to others without actually having to get better at the game. It's something I used to do myself a lot where I'd console myself after a bad game, "hey I lost my lane and contributed nothing but at least I went for an approved item build not like those idiots on my team #totallynotabadplayer"

And I just think builds and stuff are nothing like as important as people think they are. If you had to break down what decides a game of dota for me it would be something like:

-30% draft (most of which is having good lanes)
-10% item and skill build stuff
-60% general execution, decision making and team coordination

Like I remember one game where we had a Luna who was the only carry on the team. Her item build was Treads, PMS, Aghanims, BKB, Heart, Mjolnir. For me this is a weird ass build. I don't think you should get Aghs when you're the only carry, I don't see why you'd get Heart instead of Satanic or why you'd Mjolnir instead of Butterfly. But we still won that game, mostly both teams had team fight heavy lineups and we got a few good initiations off late game and also Rubick kept stealing Black Hole.

tl,dr: please no rage when I buy Eye of Skadi on everyone.gif

Epix

There's a lot of bandwagon hate when it comes to item builds. A lot of it seems pretty arbitrary to me.

If you buy drums for the MS it's fine, but buying S&Y for the same reason is bad. Buying drums for the hp is fine, but buying Vanguard for the same reason is SwiftRage. Or like how Alchemist has to get a shadowblade (and not a blink) but Tiny has to get a blink and not a shadowblade. (Someone once literally called gg when they saw our Tiny had shadowblade.) Legion Commander can still get away with one or the other, but Sven isn't supposed to get either.

In fact I find item build nerdery in general is just annoying, it's really lame in particular when the losing team trash talks the winning teams items. "OMG bloodstone Death Prophet/MoM Sniper/Shadowblade Slark so bad" etc when the player they are talking about can practically 1v5 them at that point.

I might be out of line but I feel like item build "book learning" is a easy way for players to make themselves feel superior to others without actually having to get better at the game. It's something I used to do myself a lot where I'd console myself after a bad game, "hey I lost my lane and contributed nothing but at least I went for an approved item build not like those idiots on my team #totallynotabadplayer"

And I just think builds and stuff are nothing like as important as people think they are. If you had to break down what decides a game of dota for me it would be something like:

-30% draft (most of which is having good lanes)
-10% item and skill build stuff
-60% general execution, decision making and team coordination

Like I remember one game where we had a Luna who was the only carry on the team. Her item build was Treads, PMS, Aghanims, BKB, Heart, Mjolnir. For me this is a weird ass build. I don't think you should get Aghs when you're the only carry, I don't see why you'd get Heart instead of Satanic or why you'd Mjolnir instead of Butterfly. But we still won that game, mostly both teams had team fight heavy lineups and we got a few good initiations off late game and also Rubick kept stealing Black Hole.

tl,dr: please no rage when I buy Eye of Skadi on everyone.gif

I agree in principle with what you're saying. "Standard" item builds are not nearly as important as execution, coordination etc and in reality there shouldn't be entire builds considered standard anyway. I'd say half the items for any given hero should be pretty standard and the other half should vary depending on the team composition, enemy composition, playstyle etc.

The only times I really scratch my head is when someone deviates wildy from the "standard" types of items for their hero and can't justify at least why they chose to deviate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom