• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why isn't Doom picked often in competitive play?

Oh, and all my Steam games are fine and in order. Just thought you would want to know.

Last time I checked he was picked a reasonable amount actually. Works really well against Storm, Timber, Lifestealer and Slark, all of whom are popular in 6.79.

manfestival

pls no more doom

I hate this game but I cant quit it. Thank GOD I started playing hearthstone otherwise I woulda been stuck playing dota 2 till 4am again

F#A#Oo

Banned
Didn't the Wraith Night test client update hit really early (like 1pm EST type early?)

Just wondering because I know LC was so incredibly buggy the Test Client got like 10 patches in one day. Terrorblade seems like he would be ripe for huge bugs too. If they include 6.80 and whatever else, it'll need lots of testing.

Cant wait for everyone to complain about the new Shadow Fiend model not having enough swag in his walk

"New Shadow Fiend doesn't have as much character as the old one"
"Add an arcana to use old Shadow Fiend!"
"New Shadow Fiend's texture is so low res, much lower than the old one, please revert"
"What was wrong with the old Shadow Fiend Valve?"

Every remake
Without fail

Replace Shadow Fiend with Lion, Venomancer, Gyro, Luna, Sniper, Earthshaker, Storm, Skeleton King, etc, etc, etc and we've gone back in time

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
tumblr_mtepmvw6ne1r2cbpso1_1280.jpg

inkls

Had a game a couple days ago that really put the whole "rus/br players are bad and don't bother communicating" into perspective (I don't really believe that, just that its easier to remember bad foreign players due to the language, only annoyed when people queue in english without any comprehension of it).

Was my 2nd ranked soloqeue game, our captain drafted lion (me), PA, clinkz, necro and Axe iirc. Wanted me, necro and PA to go trilane top and him mid. PA spent around 5 minutes arguing with him that she needs the farm. I didn't do good myself (either died for stupid reasons or didn't have any followup to my initiation).

I tried communicating with my team but, necro, PA, Axe completely ignored chat and my pings (Necro raged quite a few times at things he could have avoided if he just had looked at the chat.

PA kept overextending, ignored my pings to tell her to back, rages at team for leaving her alone.

Clinkz farmed the whole game, blamed team when razor snowballed out of control (ganks would have been nice)

Team completely ignored me when I asked them to group up for smoke gank (figured we'd have a better chance if we got the jump on the other team) and started autoattacking creeps after being smoked.

Not saying its all my team fault, I fed, hard, but we would have performed way better if they had bothered to read chat or listen to pings.

All I'm saying is, just because your team speaks english doesn't mean you're going to have better communication. Had awesome games with people who barely spoke english, but used the chat wheel and pings.

Quesa

Had a game a couple days ago that really put the whole "rus/br players are bad and don't bother communicating" into perspective (I don't really believe that, just that its easier to remember bad foreign players due to the language, only annoyed when people queue in english without any comprehension of it).

Was my 2nd ranked soloqeue game, our captain drafted lion (me), PA, clinkz, necro and Axe iirc. Wanted me, necro and PA to go trilane top and him mid. PA spent around 5 minutes arguing with him that she needs the farm. I didn't do good myself (either died for stupid reasons or didn't have any followup to my initiation).

I tried communicating with my team but, necro, PA, Axe completely ignored chat and my pings (Necro raged quite a few times at things he could have avoided if he just had looked at the chat.

PA kept overextending, ignored my pings to tell her to back, rages at team for leaving her alone.

Clinkz farmed the whole game, blamed team when razor snowballed out of control (ganks would have been nice)

Team completely ignored me when I asked them to group up for smoke gank (figured we'd have a better chance if we got the jump on the other team) and started autoattacking creeps after being smoked.

Not saying its all my team fault, I fed, hard, but we would have performed way better if they had bothered to read chat or listen to pings.

All I'm saying is, just because your team speaks english doesn't mean you're going to have better communication. Had awesome games with people who barely spoke english, but used the chat wheel and pings.

For what it's worth, I can speak spanish and can confirm that they think the same things about us. Russians were also calling me out for being "noob america team".

Quesa

Dotametrics has spoken

Skill Shrapnel first on Sniper, scrublords.

Eh, stats are kinda skewed though. The fact that it's the least popular build could also mean that players who spec shrapnel first have played the character more and are confident enough in their spacing that they don't need take aim to get an advantage in lane. Not saying shrapnel isn't the best or whatever (don't play sniper enough to know), just that you can draw more than one conclusion from those stats. In this case, you could also say that the success rate is higher because the players who spec it are better to begin with. Also note that take aim is the skill of choice in most of the in-game guides, so new players are more likely to skill it first.

rugioh

Banned
So I decided to try out Lycan, what a hero.
iblwJuBRBz2tUn.png

The key to playing him is to whack buildings as much as you can and you end up winning.

I know what hero I'm learning next. I have a newfound love for Necro3 after buying it on Windrunner a few days ago. I want to learn a hero that has it as a core item.

manfestival

When I play clinkz, I seem to SCORE well but I never feel like I play him as well as I should.

Anyways, how can I get this NBA jam megakills thing that I hear on shanes stream? I need some boom shaka laka im my life for those multikills

Did I tell anyone I hate dota 2 and that I played hearthstone for the first time last night?

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management

Ugh, this is what Pudge decided to do after having a bad game.

Also though, guys, Venge. Venge.

Radec

So what heroes are left to be added in Dota 2 ?

-Phoenix
-Terrorblade
-Techies
-Pit Lord
-Arc Warden
-Oracle

Any other ?

Dotametrics has spoken

Skill Shrapnel first on Sniper, scrublords.

Eh, stats are kinda skewed though. The fact that it's the least popular build could also mean that players who spec shrapnel first have played the character more and are confident enough in their spacing that they don't need take aim to get an advantage in lane. Not saying shrapnel isn't the best or whatever (don't play sniper enough to know), just that you can draw more than one conclusion from those stats. In this case, you could also say that the success rate is higher because the players who spec it are better to begin with. Also note that take aim is the skill of choice in most of the in-game guides, so new players are more likely to skill it first.

It has been my general experience that you only get as many points in Take Aim as you absolutely must have to survive a lane. Like, if you're in a bane + mirana lane or are under threat of a Veno slow and subsequent follow-up, get your Take Aim points.

That said, the results may be skewed in another important way: In Normal and High, you'll see more offlane duos trying to shut down the safe lane carry. Said Sniper may or may not have adequate support helping to create space for him. In fact, he may not have any support heroes on the team at all. Whereas in Very High, I find that teams tend to make some sense from a makeup standpoint (so the carry Sniper will have adequate support) and the safe lane carry will often be 1v1 against a single offlaner who really won't be a threat to him. Having a non-threatening offlane enemy presence will certainly lend itself to ignoring Take Aim more than in other lane setups.

YMMV. Some lane setups simply require a focus on Take Aim. But if you're in a reasonable 1v1 (say, mid against DK or Pudge or some such or offlane against BH or Clock) focusing more points on Q and W are quite do-able.

More data than they can reasonably process is required to really know what these statistics mean. Although it's a fact that Phase Boots + Manta is the only proper way to build Sniper.

ViviOggi

"New Shadow Fiend doesn't have as much character as the old one"
"Add an arcana to use old Shadow Fiend!"
"New Shadow Fiend's texture is so low res, much lower than the old one, please revert"
"What was wrong with the old Shadow Fiend Valve?"

Every remake
Without fail

Replace Shadow Fiend with Lion, Venomancer, Gyro, Luna, Sniper, Earthshaker, Storm, Skeleton King, etc, etc, etc and we've gone back in time

"New model is too busy"
"The palette doesn't fit"

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
PLZ LET TODAY OR TOMORROW BE THE DAY THAT THE TERRIBLE REIGN OF EARTH SPIRIT ENDS.

Thousands of voices will cry out, as if suddenly AoE silenced, as they roll down the MMR ladder. There's a special negative elo bracket tailored just for earth spirit pickers.

IMO if you have more than 50 games of earth spirit should only be allowed to queue against other people with more than 50 games of earth spirit, it would be great, then make the games front page so anyone can spectate.

Quesa

PLZ LET TODAY OR TOMORROW BE THE DAY THAT THE TERRIBLE REIGN OF EARTH SPIRIT ENDS.

Thousands of voices will cry out, as if suddenly AoE silenced, as they plummet down the MMR ladder. There's a special negative elo bracket tailored just for earth spirit pickers.

IMO if you have more than 50 games of earth spirit should only be allowed to queue against other people with more than 50 games of earth spirit, it would be great, then make the games front page so anyone can spectate.

What if they buff him

Take Aim skilled to 4 allows you to attack towers without being in their range, allows you to attack/deny from further away making it easier to zone an opponent while helping you keep more space between your squishy, filthy gnome body and the enemy team. It's easy to understand why it's skilled fully as much as it is first.

woodland

Where are people getting 6.80 in this patch from?

Been a decent amount of time since 6.79, plus they seem to be doing balance patches in major Dota 2 updates now. Personally I could see us getting it or not, either way.

We've finally reached the point where heroes are added like almost equally fast to Dota 1 as Dota 2 D;

what if we never reach parity

Artanisix

So I was thinking about how to nerf Earth Spirit in the shower today and came up with this:

What if Earth Spirit was nerfed so his stone remnants can no longer refresh his ultimate duration, but with an Aghs Scepter he can once again refresh it. This would drop his damage output tremendously. He'd probably need another nerf or two to go with it, but it'd go a long way in reducing his teamfight power.

Thoughts?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Where are people getting 6.80 in this patch from?

just speculation. We're about due for a major patch, earth spirit/brood are still destroying AP, and the 6.79 competitive meta has gotten really stale really fast--at the beginning it looked like a wide range of heroes were being picked, but seems to have reached the point where only 20 heroes exist in the CM pool.

SamVimes

So I was thinking about how to nerf Earth Spirit in the shower today and came up with this:

What if Earth Spirit was nerfed so his stone remnants can no longer refresh his ultimate duration, but with an Aghs Scepter he can once again refresh it. This would drop his damage output tremendously. He'd probably need another nerf or two to go with it, but it'd go a long way in reducing his teamfight power.

Thoughts?

I liked the possible nerf that i read on reddit where you would switch around the stun and slow, that would would go a long way towards making him a fairer hero. Then he either needs less remnants or your suggested nerf because it's really stupid that he can dish out more than 800 damage at level 6 while silencing, stunning and slowing you.

Even just pulling allies is crazy good, he at least should not be able to pull them out of Chrono and Black Hole.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

Thoughts?

email icefrog bro

Demoli

Thoughts?

If they did that, They'd have to make it so the non-aghs ult would last longer, as without refresh that ult is very, very weak, and would make no the point of the "debuffs aretransmitted through magnetize since the original aoe is ridiculously small and you'll onyl hit it on 2 people max without the stone refresh.

I'd like them to take their time enrfing Kaolin, OP as he is, he is terribly fun to play unlike other OP heroes before, and since he isn't in CM, what's the rush? If people are that upset, just remove -CM unable heroes from ranked all pick, but please don't Lycan/Morph Kaolin, give him proper nerfs.

Thoughts?
Not enough, his push ability needs to be nerfed, it single handedly wins tri lanes. His rolling bullshit needs a much longer cd or a range reduction. His silence also needs something, cast range reduction/hero limit/or cd increase. There's just too much bullshit packed into one hero.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
A hero based entirely on his money pool seems like it would be so unique and fun. I wish IF would revisit the idea.

I don't know, I have tried to put some thought into it in the past and really couldn't think of any hero that would actually be fun with mechanics that deal with your money, the enemies money, or making items cost less.

Thoughts?

Personally, I think a good solution would be to just give him some cast time, like .2 seconds, and change his turn rate to .4 or .5. The cooldown of Boulder Smash should be 12, and Geomagnetic Grip to 15. The damage and utilty values are fine (OMG, 5 Second Silence! On a hard to hit projectile and a lower duration the the DP/Drow Silence which also have huge AoEs)

Also, thinking of Silences, Riki's smoke cloud should scale in duration up to like 8 seconds long. Maybe 6/6/7/8 second duration with each point. That one I'm putting on playdotas.

My idea-

Earth Remnant:
Reduced count to 1
Rocks take .2 seconds to rise from the ground

Magentize:
Can only be refreshed once
No longer transfers silence to all those affected
+1 Earth Remnant every level (for a max of 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom