• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
No? I doubt we'll ever see an arcana for any of the remakes, that would be horrible.

They will likely make a Red Venge mask and Spectra Hulla Hoop at some point as Genuine Mythicals though, they do seem to like to incorporate past designs into some of their promotional items, like the Death Prophet hat.

Hylian7

I got asked why I was doing this in a match earlier and I had to explain why I do it. TommyT brought this idea up a few weeks back: Always cast your Linkens on yourself to keep it on cooldown.

Mathmatically, it's better to do this, because you can potentially proc the Linkens twice within the 15 second cooldown. It has zero manacost, so there is absolutely no reason not to do it. Casting it on yourself puts it on the same cooldown as if it were popped, so if someone were to pop it with 5 seconds left, then you get ANOTHER ONE in 5 seconds.

shira

IceMarker

I got asked why I was doing this in a match earlier and I had to explain why I do it. TommyT brought this idea up a few weeks back: Always cast your Linkens on yourself to keep it on cooldown.

Mathmatically, it's better to do this, because you can potentially proc the Linkens twice within the 15 second cooldown. It has zero manacost, so there is absolutely no reason not to do it. Casting it on yourself puts it on the same cooldown as if it were popped, so if someone were to pop it with 5 seconds left, then you get ANOTHER ONE in 5 seconds.

That sounds broke.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
DOTA2 was never designed. It is was a fun but poorly made mod that was bandaged again and again until it became a real competitive game.

ViviOggi

Chess comparison falls somewhat short, but, given the pretty much infinite ceiling, what constitutes 'the basics' is just a matter of definition. You could grasp mine within 5-10 hours, certainly not 100.

Is chess poorly designed? Most people are awful at chess after 100 hours.

Most people can quickly grasp how each piece moves in a chess game within a short amount of time, the strategies one can employ are another matter. Dota and other ARTS (or MOBAs, whatever) have so many moving parts. You could literally spend 100 hours playing just bot games and only have the shallowest grasp of how each hero functions, what their roles are and how you should sort do their skill and item builds.

I think someone can grasp the basics of the gameplay phases--laning, last hitting, jungling, pushing, split-pushing, etc.--in a short amount of time but mastering those basics also takes a significant time investment.

It's probably easier if you played the mods as they developed into a genre and were able to digest the progress piecemeal but for someone who hasn't, it's a significantly challenging learning curve.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I can't fucking WAIT until I'm out of the skill bracket where my four stack can get a fifth who picks Bounty Hunter and demands safe farm over our Anti Mage and then buys a Battle Fury at 30 minutes.

Hylian7

I don't understand why I end up with so many damn loss streaks lately. I win one out of the blue and then suddenly just losses everywhere. Wtf is happening?

Jex

DOTA2 was never designed. It is was a fun but poorly made mod that was bandaged again and again until it became a real competitive game.

Haly dropping truth bombs. It's why so many of the mechanics are not only not obvious, but also apparently arbitrary (tangos allow you to eat trees? If you get creeps out of a camp at a certain time more creeeps will spawn in?)

Vaporak

Haly dropping truth bombs. It's why so many of the mechanics are not only not obvious, but also apparently arbitrary (tangos allow you to eat trees? If you get creeps out of a camp at a certain time more creeeps will spawn in?)

I have no idea how stacking creep camps became one of the poster boys for arbitrary mechanics. Camps respawn units if they're empty. Wondering if you can get them to respawn without killing the creeps already there is a perfectly intuitive question ask to and the answer makes perfect sense. Same with denies, it's just the already accepted mechanic of last hitting applied to your own creeps. Not being able to deny your own creeps would be giving the same units two different sets of rules, that's more arbitrary than just having one rule cover both cases.

It doesn't let you get an extra Linken's. If you block using the passive, the item starts its 17 second cooldown. Casting Linken's starts the 17 second cooldown. If a casted Linken's gets triggered it starts the full 17 second cooldown on the item. They specifically designed it so you can't get extra pops.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I have no idea how stacking creep camps became one of the poster boys for arbitrary mechanics. Camps respawn units if they're empty. Wondering if you can get them to respawn without killing the creeps already there is a perfectly intuitive question ask to and the answer makes perfect sense. Same with denies, it's just the already accepted mechanic of last hitting applied to your own creeps. Not being able to deny your own creeps would be giving the same units two different sets of rules, that's more arbitrary than just having one rule cover both cases.
No new player would possibly think like this. It goes against so many gaming conventions out there thst I'm really shocked you would even try to make this argument.

It took years for the broader Dota playing community to figure out that pushing your creep wave is a bad idea, which should be evidence enough that there is a huge discrepency between Dota as intuited and Dota played optimally.

This gulf is the real reason why Dota is "hard" for so many people to get into and one of the reasons for League of Legends' success.

Hylian7

I don't fucking understand. I just don't. Why is it the last two days I suddenly get the absolute worst players on my team? I just had a Bristleback feed offlane that basically led to us LOSING TO A 5 CARRY TEAM! This is high 3k/low 4k MMR. What. The. Fuck.

Oh, and these freak loss streaks out of nowhere have now dragged me below 4k party MMR as well.

elyetis

I don't fucking understand. I just don't. Why is it the last two days I suddenly get the absolute worst players on my team? I just had a Bristleback feed offlane that basically led to us LOSING TO A 5 CARRY TEAM! This is high 3k/low 4k MMR. What. The. Fuck.

Oh, and these freak loss streaks out of nowhere have now dragged me below 4k party MMR as well.
Time to play even more earth spirit.

ElyrionX

Of course, when it comes to my turn for the enemy team to have an early abandon and play 4v5, the stats aren't recorded because he was idle before first blood and the abandonment was due to no activity.

I seriously don't understand GAF's obsession with Earth Spirit. He is hard to play WELL and I almost never see him. But then again I just usually play All Pick. I've dabbled with him a few times and someone else on my team usually picks a support even after I pick ES because they don't know ES is support. Maybe he's more of a problem at higher levels of competition but in solo-queue all-pick you almost never encounter him and when you do it's nothing special.

I seriously don't understand GAF's obsession with Earth Spirit. He is hard to play WELL and I almost never see him. But then again I just usually play All Pick. I've dabbled with him a few times and someone else on my team usually picks a support even after I pick ES because they don't know ES is support. Maybe he's more of a problem at higher levels of competition but in solo-queue all-pick you almost never encounter him and when you do it's nothing special.

Yeah I'm in the trench and I've never seen ES in a game. Probably more of an issue at higher skill levels. People at my level are too busy picking Drow, Sniper, Riki etc.

Hylian7

It is all in what the hero itself is capable of. Here's only SOME of the things he can do by himself.

-Solo kill at level 3
-5 second multi man silence
-multi man stun for only 75 mana
-save teammates by pulling them out of trouble
-Easily put an enemy in a position to die
-have a 6 second damage over time that is refreshable and spreadable, and could technically get up to 36 seconds.
-escape on a 4 second cooldown

I didn't even mention everything. He is also effectively item independent and is not necessarily support, but really can do any role except hard carry. I find he generally goes best mid or offlane, but support is also a very viable option.

I would suggest watching Jerax's video of him on YouTube. It is from before the most recent nerf, but the concept is still the same and he is still overpowered. It sounds to me that at your level people just don't know how to play him.

Also for some reason it seems like everyone's initial reaction to ES is "I don't get it"/"This hero seems weak" then they watch someone that knows what they are doing play it and agree that he is broken as all hell.

G.ZZZ

You are a bad person and should feel bad.

Yesterday 1.09 picked it in an inhouse for the first time and he wrecked despite having never played the hero. Hard to master my ass. During all game, the mumble chat was flaming how stupid and retarded this hero is, having basically storm spirit ultimate at 4 sec cd 50 mana cost, as a normal skill, plus instant stun nuke at 1100 range, and 5 man silences. Then add high stat gains and base armor, and he's fucking unkillable too.

This hero really need to be removed from the game asap. Or add AR to ranked modes, screw that, add every mode to ranked mode who the fuck care anyway, every mode's unbalanced.

M.D

How about this nerf to Earth spirit? at least as far as the silence goes
For every hero the stone hits, the silence time is reduced

Lets say I kick the stone and it hits 5 targets - Target 1 is silenced for 5 seconds, Target 2 is silenced for 4 seconds, Target 3 is silenced for 3 seconds and so on

You could also reduce the max silence duration to 4 and then it goes 4-3-2-1-1 or something like that

I guess you could also apply that to the damage it does

FtHTiny

The stones shouldn´t spawn instantly, giving you atleast a small chance to dodge the stun.
The pulled stone should stop at the first hero it collides with stunning only that one guy and destroying the stone. Same with the kicked stone. It can silence the first target it hits but the stone breaks at impact.
It would still make him viable but not an over the top hero. And maybe increase the roll cooldown to 8 or 10 sec on max level.

Mohasus

Here's the guy I queue with: http://dotabuff.com/players/40884959/matches?hero=earth-spirit&game_mode=&match_type=real

Easiest 5k party MMR of my life.

fiore

Banned
It doesn't let you get an extra Linken's. If you block using the passive, the item starts its 17 second cooldown. Casting Linken's starts the 17 second cooldown. If a casted Linken's gets triggered it starts the full 17 second cooldown on the item. They specifically designed it so you can't get extra pops.
Thank you got clearing that up

They will likely make a Red Venge mask and Spectra Hulla Hoop at some point as Genuine Mythicals though, they do seem to like to incorporate past designs into some of their promotional items, like the Death Prophet hat.
Yes, those two I could see be ause of how early they were changed in development. I think pieces of old heroes would work ok, like old skeleton kings cape, venge's mask, venomancer's tentacles, etc, but I don't see whole body replacements ever being a thing.

Of course, when it comes to my turn for the enemy team to have an early abandon and play 4v5, the stats aren't recorded because he was idle before first blood and the abandonment was due to no activity.

Early abandonment seems glitched with no reason behind it. My team was getting destroyed and we luckily got an early abandonment at 9:53. A few matches later was on a team where a player disconnected twice in the first 3 minutes or so and it wasn't early abandonment. Kills and times didn't seem to be factoring into this.

Matt, someone wants an items that uses 2 Ogre Clubs. The guy said if you read it he will be happy. Are you going to deny the happiness of Blazestrike?

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1w6le1/item_idea_if_cyborgmatt_read_i_would_be_so_happy/

Matt is still in his bunker

1389395896226.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom