• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
when phoenix is added to dota 2 cm i will make ihl2

or when valve adds a priv game api
SamVimes said:
Any chance of using the new ranking to revive the ihl so the teams gets more balanced and people on the losing side have less to bitch about?
Possibly. I'm still waiting for Phoenix to release in Dota 2 though.

Also it'd require every member of IHL to befriend me on Steam so I can confirm their MMR, which might not make everyone happy.

Milkman. The time is upon us.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
With his name being Nevermore, maybe they're taking the raven theme of the chinese version and going all the way with it

Is this the Chinese SF model you are talking about?
ZxGThM8.jpg

If so, please god. Don't use that model.

Edit: Welp, nevermind.

Razzer

Phoenix is a support, you build as you would look to build any STR support. Hearts, Shivas, meks, blink are all legit. Rad is a facerolling item. Should not be a common purchase.

:( Rad was so fun though. Oh well, I'd only feed doing it in a real match I suppose. I feel like getting some kind of healing or regen is necessary, maybe tranquil boots could be good?

Acinixys

Phoenix is one of those heroes that will never need an in-game item. He's perfect as is.

Terrorblade, on the other hand, is ugly as sin. He needs a set fucking pronto. Weapons are fugly. default items are fugly.

Dreams, this is clearly why theres a day 1 Arcana

While you guys and gals are all drooling all over the patch I discovered today that Naga really is the ultimate team fucker.

We had no mid rax and and been defending for 8+ mins

Enemy team backs after wiping us

Myself and NP go to Rosh

I (as Alchemist) take Aegis

Enemy team converges on us just outside the Rosh pit

Enemy Warlock (with Aghs + Refresher) drops his wombo combo

I get taken down to 100 HP

Enemy naga ults

During the 3-4 seconds her ult is active i regen back to full HP

Ult ends and we wipe them in 2 seconds

Rush mid

Troll ults

1 second to Rax

We GG push and win

Best game ive played all month

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Phoenix is one of those heroes that will never need an in-game item. He's perfect as is.

Terrorblade, on the other hand, is ugly as sin. He needs a set fucking pronto. Weapons are fugly. default items are fugly.

I agree. I like his concept art and the base model, but in game it just looks, i dunno, PLAIN. He's basically got a plaid carapace thing going on and that's it, no armor, no designs--there's a lot of room for cool armor sets to fix him up.

Hylian7

My two cents on the stuff I've tried so far:

Phoenix: This is the ultimate "Fuck yo Clarity/Salve" hero. He's going to be a great support. Hell I could even see him in trilanes. He has so much range on all his spells. That ultimate is going to be fun to set up with stuff like a Naga song.

Terrorblade: Great carry, going to be fun to see him played. Not really too much else to say, his skills are fairly straightforward.

6.80 Earth Spirit: It's too early to say if the hero is fixed, but he's definitely been nerfed. However, he is still doable, and now has an even HIGHER skill cap than before. He's still an extremely strong hero. For skill build, since the stun was reduced, I would say you should max boulder smash first. While maxing Geomagnetic Grip will get you max damage, I think the longer stun is going to be the way to go since it's only 0.75 seconds at level 1. His ultimate was untouched and is still strong as hell. The 35 second Stone recharge time really makes you have to be conservative and resourceful with your rocks. You can't just drop rocks for last hits all the time and instead need to make use of the ones you already have out, because if you are down to almost no rocks, you are pretty much a slave to that. Those stone remmants are effectively your ultimate cooldown.

Great patch so far, I'm loving it though.

I agree. I like his concept art and the base model, but in game it just looks, i dunno, PLAIN. He's basically got a plaid carapace thing going on and that's it, no armor, no designs--there's a lot of room for cool armor sets to fix him up.

Agree completely. Bounch, Anuxi: pls help him.

I really like his Demon form as is. But his regular form is just so...uninspired. Especially compared to what they pulled off with Phoenix.

Razzer

My two cents on the stuff I've tried so far:

Phoenix: This is the ultimate "Fuck yo Clarity/Salve" hero. He's going to be a great support. Hell I could even see him in trilanes. He has so much range on all his spells. That ultimate is going to be fun to set up with stuff like a Naga song.

Terrorblade: Great carry, going to be fun to see him played. Not really too much else to say, his skills are fairly straightforward.

6.80 Earth Spirit: It's too early to say if the hero is fixed, but he's definitely been nerfed. However, he is still doable, and now has an even HIGHER skill cap than before. He's still an extremely strong hero. For skill build, since the stun was reduced, I would say you should max boulder smash first. While maxing Geomagnetic Grip will get you max damage, I think the longer stun is going to be the way to go since it's only 0.75 seconds at level 1. His ultimate was untouched and is still strong as hell. The 35 second Stone recharge time really makes you have to be conservative and resourceful with your rocks. You can't just drop rocks for last hits all the time and instead need to make use of the ones you already have out, because if you are down to almost no rocks, you are pretty much a slave to that. Those stone remmants are effectively your ultimate cooldown.

Great patch so far, I'm loving it though.

The ultimate combo there would be ravage as well I think. That way you can get the burn damage as well whereas if you only had song you would have to settle with not getting the burn in order to guarantee the stun.

The ultimate combo there would be ravage as well I think. That way you can get the burn damage as well whereas if you only had song you would have to settle with not getting the burn in order to guarantee the stun.

Actually, I think Medusa is going to be the best Phoenix setup. In fact, I don't even think it's a debate. Ravage and RP will be good as well. But that stone gaze is just perfect for Phoenix.

Skab

Worth remembering that Phoenix is easy to kill during his ult. Just requires your team to be paying attention.

Which means no one will ever kill it, just like Tombstone.

Razzer

Did you guys forget you can ult while you dive? Not that team reliant for ult setup

It's not getting there, it's the fact they can all just leave the radius cus the delay is so long. You can't prompt the stun early or anything can you?

Oops sorry for the dp.

That fire spirit is so imba... 80 attack speed makes it a one point wonder, if you use that on the opposite team's carry they will not be able to last hit before you deny.

Sanic

What would that change?

...not playing with groups of other people?

Other reasons notwithstanding, I like to know i'm on even ground with others from a communication standpoint. It's hard to talk with someone who's just chatting with someone else in their own world the whole time.

Matchmaking also only checks the amount of people queued up, not how that number is distributed. So for example, i've had many games where there will be two two-stacks vs one four-stack, which isn't really the same thing from a communication and teamwork point of view.

G.ZZZ

That fire spirit is so imba... 80 attack speed makes it a one point wonder, if you use that on the opposite team's carry they will not be able to last hit before you deny.

One point wonder my ass, it's the skill to max first. 75 dps for 16 seconds at level 7, 30 sec cd gg. Sunray is useless, skip.

Go offlane solo or mid, take dive first, max Spirits, make your enemy in lane cs =10 in 10 mins because they have -100 as. Can't get killed because u just fly away, 1400 range blink wow much skill. You need no mana , go straight meka into sheep win game. Combo is activate spirits, dive in, use spirits on ppl, go supernova win game. Alternatively, you may want to get dagger, blink into trees and still stun everyone with 10000000 range Supernova. Take sunray after maxing the two other skills cause it's a % based hp skill anyway. If you're not sure how to use you may skip it, the skill has been nerfed to hell and back (it used to slow progressively, making you basically unable to escape it, now it just damage). You may want to take 1 point to climb cliffs, but it's pretty risky anyway cause it cost you 6% hp per sec and u move really slow.

There are not a lot of reason to run him as support. He can't stun, he can't initiate, he can't even really zone out people at lower levels, and his spirits are weaker when you can't zone out the enemy solo for 16 secs with it, and instead have to spread the debuff. He's however hard to kill, and make life miserable for opposing lane solo. His spells also get amazing with some fast levels, and in particular he benefit from a fast 6. Then he can wreck teamfights, and his spirit does 1200 damage over 16 seconds. Dive is amazing already at 1, and leveling it fast give you an impossible to miss 1400 range 280 nuke, that's till not bad. You'll rarely want to use it as a nuke though, always as a tool to initiate your spirits->nova.

The hero is a bit too good right now imho. I expect a remake on sunray (yes, anotehr), and dive to go for 1100/1200/1300/1400 range , plus the as decrease on spirits to be worse , especially at earlier levels because it's seriously a bit too good right now.

Sunray can be good, you just need to build your skills around your team. Maxing q first isn't optimal in any situation though. -80 AS seems sufficient, and multiple spirits DoTs don't stack, meanwhile sunray's damage/healing goes up significantly per point. The mana cost also goes up as well on the spirits per point. It really depends on how long you plan on staying in laning phase, pumping more points into spirit = better harass but less impact in team fights. You're only getting 60 less AS, and a little more damage in comparison to more pure damage/healing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah the spirits seem the most insane skill if cast properly on time. I've yet to really see how the ray's healing works and how much that matters.

Anyone ever jungle with Phoenix?
Sunray can be good, you just need to build your skills around your team. Maxing q first isn't optimal in any situation though. -80 AS seems sufficient, and multiple spirits DoTs don't stack, meanwhile sunray's damage/healing goes up significantly per point. The mana cost also goes up as well on the spirits per point. It really depends on how long you plan on staying in laning phase, pumping more points into spirit = better harass but less impact in team fights. You're only getting 60 less AS, and a little more damage in comparison to more pure damage/healing.
It does fantastic DPS if you keep it up with respectable range, way more DPS than the other skills. Your skills are also super long CD so most of the time you'll just be using spirits anyway with Dive as a dive or escape tool.
Points in Dive and Ray seemed lackluster.

Razzer

Your post seems to confirm what I was sensing in those bot games, G.ZZZ. Now I know what items to go too! those spirits do a lot of damage when maxed, it's kinda ridiculous. Would you recommend a bottle if mid? Seems like the hp regen would be useful, and mana is always a plus, though he didn't seem to starved of it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
-80 AS seems sufficient, and multiple spirits DoTs don't stack, meanwhile sunray's damage/healing goes up significantly per point.

G.ZZZ's point is that you're supposed to chain the spirits one at a time so that they get burned for the full damage from every spirit. That is 1200 damage at level 4 if your aim is good. That is insane.

Cast Spirits -> Fire one spirit -> Wait for it to run out -> Fire another spirit and start moving in -> Icarus Dive and fire the third spirit -> Snipe them with the fourth spirit. That is upwards of 1200 damage after resistance at level 6-7. Then you can use ult to heal up since you're probably in between two towers, and dive away after.

G.ZZZ's point is that you're supposed to chain the spirits one at a time so that they get burned for the full damage from every spirit. That is 1200 damage at level 4 if your aim is good. That is insane.

Which is why I said if you plan to stay in lane it would be the better choice. Most team fights rarely last 16 seconds for you to use your dot in total, it'd most likely be a better choice to spread it out amongst all AS dependent heroes. Factor in items like mek and pipe, and the fact its not pure damage unlike sunray, and your DoTs won't have as much impact. Sunray + some solid slows/stuns is something to watch out for.

G.ZZZ

Sunray is a 270 pure damage nuke +36% of enemy max hp if they stand still for six seconds. Sure that's amazing with some RP combos or Black holes, but i'm not sure at which point that's better than the way more reliable 75 dps of fire spirits. Maybe my judgment is tainted by the fact that Sunray was such an absurd skill when it provided slow, and now seems just so bad because people just move to the side and you can't do much considering how slow you turn during sunray, but still fire spirits are such a versatile, powerful nuke that also help setuping your ulti, while sunray now seems only good with long slows/stun to compliment it

EDIT: you can't also actually attack during sunray, while you can spirit attack with basically no loss in dps. The inability to move freely during sunray really kill the skill, since you really want to move around to get that spirits off + good spot for nova.

Also: i don't think you need bottle, your skills need some mana but have all long cd. I never ran out of mana when trying meka, wand, any kind of boots (tranquils seems decent). You could try going treads cause you don't get ias from anyhting (plus you have abysmal agi) and some right click damage could be good to compliment your huge nukes.

Finally, i've actually noticed that nova destroy trees on cast, so you can't hide into trees and nova. Still, blink dagger may not be the worst item on him. Probably going sheep just better.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Which is why I said if you plan to stay in lane it would be the better choice.
It wouldn't be the better choice even when you're in lane.

Most team fights rarely last 16 seconds for you to use your dot in total, it'd most likely be a better choice to spread it out amongst all AS dependent heroes.
You're still ignoring Fire Spirit's harassment and zoning capabilities. Let's take level 2 for example.

Fire Spirit:
-15% HP
-90 MP
1400 range
16 seconds
105 damage per Spirit
420 damage if they all hit

Sun Ray:
-15% HP
-100 MP
1300 range
6 seconds
120 damage from full duration
12% HP damage from full duration
-36% HP from full duration

It doesn't take a genius to see which one is more efficient. Fire Spirits potentially gives you 420 damage. Even if you only hit half your spirits, that's still 210 damage. For Sun Ray to do the same amount of damage as 2 hits of Fire Spirit 2, you would have to focus the laser on one target for 6 seconds AND the target needs 750 max health. Even then, you're still paying 36% of your life.

Fire Spirits, is clearly the superior harassment/damage/zoning option for early game.

Factor in items like mek and pipe, and the fact its not pure damage unlike sunray, and your DoTs won't have as much impact.
No one will have Mek and Pipe during laning phase.

Sunray + some solid slows/stuns is something to watch out for
Fire Spirits gets even better if you have slows and stuns because you can harass with one or two Fire Spirit first, and then follow up with whatever spells your ally has to guarantee more Spirit hits.

NBtoaster

So in Ability Draft it seems you want heroes with the best innate qualities, though you're randomed so you cant abuse it. It would be pretty bad if you got something like Visage and have only 10% magic resistance, negative armor and low speed, without ablities to make up for it (unless you pick your own abilities, but where's the fun in that?).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So sad I'm at work right now. I wanted to read the new arcanugus lore stories that I only had time to glance at, and dig though the schema to see if there was any hints at how the new event creating works. And no one even bothered to post that kind of stuff, no they go and claim sf had his files renamed to what they always were.

I didn't even get a chance to look though the files in package files, I wanted to see if any abilities were changed for AD, and who isn't in the mode. I didn't get to check on the year beast thing ether

It wouldn't be the better choice even when you're in lane.

You're still ignoring Fire Spirit's harassment and zoning capabilities. Let's take level 2 for example.

Fire Spirit:
-15% HP
-90 MP
1400 range
16 seconds
105 damage per Spirit
420 damage if they all hit

Sun Ray:
-15% HP
-100 MP
1300 range
6 seconds
120 damage from full duration
12% HP damage from full duration
-36% HP from full duration

It doesn't take a genius to see which one is more efficient. Fire Spirits potentially gives you 420 damage. Even if you only hit half your spirits, that's still 210 damage. For Sun Ray to do the same amount of damage as 2 hits of Fire Spirit 2, you would have to focus the laser on one target for 6 seconds AND the target needs 750 max health. Even then, you're still paying 36% of your life.

Fire Spirit, is clearly the superior harassment/damage/zoning option for early game.

No one will have Mek and Pipe during laning phase.

Fire Spirits gets even better if you have slows and stuns because you can harass with one or two Fire Spirit first, and then follow up with whatever spells your ally has to guarantee more Spirit hits.

You're misunderstanding what the first quotation means, fire spirits is better in lane. If you want to stay in lane for the first 12 minutes you're better off maxing fire spirits. If you plan to team fight early with phoenix I think sunray is still better.

You're also not factoring in base magic resists for your fire spirit damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom