• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dota losing streaks are the worst. I keep saying "one more match" cause I want to go to sleep with a win. Lo and behold 3 hours later I'm still in the same boat. I need to go to sleep but my pride won't let me relent. Plus I'm on tilt atm and my play is getting rasher and sloppier. I hate everything. Fuck this shit.

iloled

Banned
Dota losing streaks are the worst. I keep saying "one more match" cause I want to go to sleep with a win. Lo and behold 3 hours later I'm still in the same boat. I need to go to sleep but my pride won't let me relent. Plus I'm on tilt atm and my play is getting rasher and sloppier. I hate everything. Fuck this shit.

This. solo ranked is fucking stupid. fuck the idea of balanced matchmaking. It is biased against me.

Nymerio

The best thing is when you realize you should've just gone to bed.

manfestival

If my teammates are not retards, I love playing support. It's also because I've turned into a support snob (credit to the GAFer who used that term in the previous thread first lol). I hate it when I'm not a support and we get no map vision especially when we are on the defensive. A jungle cliff ward can reveal so much and be so great for tactical positioning.

Funnily enough, ever since I started playing solo ranked, it seems like every game, people would be lining up to take support. That's fine and all but half of these people have no idea what it means to be support. No last hitting to farm in lane, constant warding and constant roaming to support the lanes are concepts foreign to some people taking support heroes which completely defeats the purpose of taking those heroes in the first place.

yeah I have started to notice this myself but for me. I enjoy playing support from time to time but certain heroes I want to buy less support early on and work on getting a couple items before I dive into supportsville

also this singsing dendi game is hilarious. dendi is so mad and singsing is just trolling

also broodmother on enemy team is incredibly annoying every time. I usually win against broods but it feels like it makes the game so much more frustrating. Especially with other rat doto heroes on the other team

Razzer

yeah I have started to notice this myself but for me. I enjoy playing support from time to time but certain heroes I want to buy less support early on and work on getting a couple items before I dive into supportsville

also this singsing dendi game is hilarious. dendi is so mad and singsing is just trolling

also broodmother on enemy team is incredibly annoying every time. I usually win against broods but it feels like it makes the game so much more frustrating. Especially with other rat doto heroes on the other team

The way I like to deal with brood is an AOE carry so that they can sit their defending against her whilst farming simultaneously. Because there is no other job they really have to be doing you aren't losing much. Obviously you can't always have this though.

iloled

Banned
The way I like to deal with brood is an AOE carry so that they can sit their defending against her whilst farming simultaneously. Because there is no other job they really have to be doing you aren't losing much. Obviously you can't always have this though.

no way. Only way is kunkka and bh.

I just threw my game on purpose because my team picked brood and had a clinkz which ksed 2 of my creeps. feels good man.

Im making it a point to make my team pissed off every game. fucking game has made me a bitter asshole

Razzer

I just threw my game on purpose because my team picked brood and had a clinkz which ksed 2 of my creeps. feels good man.

Im making it a point to make my team pissed off every game. fucking game has made me a bitter asshole

BH is a great counter too if you are more interested in killing her than simply stopping her push like my idea was.

As for the bitterness, sounds like you need a break from Dota for a while to cool off a bit.

kvk1

Dude you need to woosah.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Never ever play the "gotta end on a win" game with Dota. You won't win. You'll get more and more angry, play worse and worse, and then eventually kill yourself.

If you have a bad, frustrating game and you're pissed off afterwards, stop. Play or do something else.

BigAT

This. solo ranked is fucking stupid. fuck the idea of balanced matchmaking. It is biased against me.

You sound like an awesome person.

Effect

Finally loaded up Dota2 for the first time yesterday. I don't know why it took so long or why I thought it would be so different from what it is. Still going through the training matches and trying out the different heroes. First one I used was the Drow Ranger. Going through the middle lane training matches. So far I can see why so many play it. Seems really easy to get into at least in the beginning. The Warcraft 3 roots are extremely easy to see and immediately relaxed any apprehension I had as I really enjoyed Warcraft 3 (RoC and FT) and played through them a LOT.

I need to find a significant block of time before I play against other people. Decided to spectate one of the matches going on and it was already 30 or 40 minutes into the match. I left it do something else 15 minutes later and it was still going on!

brentech

personally love solo q ranked. much better games when solo than normal MM. Good experience for all but like 2 games.

Razzer

Finally loaded up Dota2 for the first time yesterday. I don't know why it took so long or why I thought it would be so different from what it is. Still going through the training matches and trying out the different heroes. First one I used was the Drow Ranger. Going through the middle lane training matches. So far I can see why so many play it. Seems really easy to get into at least in the beginning. The Warcraft 3 roots are extremely easy to see and immediately relaxed any apprehension I had as I really enjoyed Warcraft 3 (RoC and FT) and played through them a LOT.

I need to find a significant block of time before I play against other people. Decided to spectate one of the matches going on and it was already 30 or 40 minutes into the match. I left it do something else 15 minutes later and it was still going on!
Welcome to Dota! Remember if you decide to stick with it to get into the GAF guild, if you don't have people to play with GAFfers are the best way to go, having others really helps especially early on. Oh and if you wanna know anything the OP has plenty of info.

Mohasus

No tracks?

Too risky, I had no idea were the other guys were, for all I knew, BM would ult me the second I tracked someone. Plus, I was doing that for fun, the gold wouldn't make any difference (almost full build @26min).

On Lifestealer, after Treads, Armlet and Basher, how do I choose between SnY and AC?

Do you need the extra move speed? If you do, SnY.

iloled

Banned
On Lifestealer, after Treads, Armlet and Basher, how do I choose between SnY and AC?

you look at the enemy heroes and evaluate.

do they have an alchem? then ac for the armour buff and negative armour aura.
ac helps with pushing as well.

S n Y more for chasing and killing i guess.

mjolnir's attack speed is good as well

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Because datdota says that it was bought in less than 1% of all LS games in 6.79?

I'm not playing at a professional level so I'm certainly not going to argue with pro item builds. But I've never had anything but great success with Maelstrom on Lifestealer. I think it's a pretty fantastic item on heroes like that.

abunai

4.1k solo, going pretty well. Lost the last game there because our clockwerk built shiva's first and said he wasn't an initiator, going for splitpush while we got zoned out until gg.

Never ever play the "gotta end on a win" game with Dota. You won't win. You'll get more and more angry, play worse and worse, and then eventually kill yourself.

If you have a bad, frustrating game and you're pissed off afterwards, stop. Play or do something else.

Wish I'd read this earlier. Turns out I did get that elusive win (was a stomp so I didn't have to do much). Instead of going to sleep, like I had planned, I decided to ride my luck and see if I could get another win to make up for the loss streak. Let's just say that hasn't gone so well. Past 4am and I'm in the same boat as I was at the beginning of this whole ordeal. I'm tired, grumpy and my pride is in tatters. I need to delete this game lol (after one more match).

Yeah I'm at that stage hah.

Cathcart

Yeah that's kind of silly. We should call earth Stan, and ember Bob or something.
Ha, and I assumed he meant Earthshaker.

Timbersaw is a hilarious hero though, both in terms of the voice acting and abilities. He shits out so much damage in team fights lol.
I've been playing a lot of bot games just to figure out what everyone does and last week I tried Timbersaw for the first time. Holy hell I love that hero, aside from being fun to play all of his lines are hilarious. Next week when I go back to work I'm going to have a hard time resisting the urge to answer people with "Okay! Oh. Kay."

I'm sure I'm gonna make a lot of friends.

"Looking sharp. Ka-raazy sharp."

Good to know. I have started throwing games on purpose. Since I'm going to lose anyway.

Now go and do likewise

The irony is that by throwing/feeding games, you bring your MMR down, which matches you with lesser and lesser skilled players.

The only thing you're doing is punishing yourself by forever trapping yourself lower and lower in the matchmaking rankings (or quite possible these people are on the same skill level as you, which I'm inclined to believe).

Feeding in the hope you'll be matched with higher skilled players is some kind of backwards logic. But oh well, if you think this is bad, just wait until you get 5 games of low priority for being reported so many times. It'll make your current games look like TI4.

Armaros

My favourite voice acting after PL.

Ogre Magi is my favorite after Timber. But that might be because Draskyl does a hilarious imitation of them.

Edit: Also i didnt know that Ogre magi was nolan north until I looked it up on the wiki.

Acinixys

Ha, and I assumed he meant Earthshaker.

I've been playing a lot of bot games just to figure out what everyone does and last week I tried Timbersaw for the first time. Holy hell I love that hero, aside from being fun to play all of his lines are hilarious. Next week when I go back to work I'm going to have a hard time resisting the urge to answer people with "Okay! Oh. Kay."

I'm sure I'm gonna make a lot of friends.

"Looking sharp. Ka-raazy sharp."

RUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUN

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Puck is my favorite and I just found out Jen Taylor does the voice. She's Cortana in the Halo series.

"I'm not READY!"

I know these feels. "Just one more...I'm not going to bed on a loss..."

5 hours later, yep. You're going to bed on a losing streak.

Once I remember saying this at midnight and not going to getting my next win until 6am. I was so fucking furious I almost couldn't even get to sleep. Mostly because I actually was just that stubborn. Partially because I couldn't seem to get a decent group of teammates to save my fucking life.

I still get stubborn like that from time to time, but now it's more like "lose 2 straight, time to stop." Your performance tends to degrade with losses. You loose a bit of your concentration and start fucking up little things. Like sharp map awareness. Or missing easy CS. Or missing opportunities in fights.

MajorPain

Started playing this during Beta and just felt I was in a losing battle felt difficult to learn. But now I am thinking about jumping back in is there a good guide or tutorial anyone could recommend?

Effect

Welcome to Dota! Remember if you decide to stick with it to get into the GAF guild, if you don't have people to play with GAFfers are the best way to go, having others really helps especially early on. Oh and if you wanna know anything the OP has plenty of info.

Thanks! I'll be making a point to read the opening thread further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom