• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epix

The only thing I don't necessarily like about the MMR system is the assumption that if I put you with 9 other people around 3k and your win rate is 50/50 then you're a 3k player. If this were 1v1 I'd agree but Dota is such a team game that 1 person typically cannot overcome the play of his team. It's flawed to assume if I throw you onto a random 3k MMR team and you win half the time you're a 3k player. I'm just under 3k now and I can tell you that 9/10 games I'm the best player on my team, yet I win roughly half the time. Usually there's at least 1 donkey on the team or whatever that spoils every 3rd game.

You're as good as your team in Dota.

The only thing I don't necessarily like about the MMR system is the assumption that if I put you with 9 other people around 3k and your win rate is 50/50 then you're a 3k player. If this were 1v1 I'd agree but Dota is such a team game that 1 person typically cannot overcome the play of his team. It's flawed to assume if I throw you onto a random 3k MMR team and you win half the time you're a 3k player. I'm just under 3k now and I can tell you that 9/10 games I'm the best player on my team, yet I win roughly half the time. Usually there's at least 1 donkey on the team or whatever that spoils every 3rd game.
it will absolutely work in the long run

after hundreds of games all the little idiosyncrasies will iron out and you'll be where you're supposed to

in theory

Statistically, and unbaisley yes.

dvmo.jpg

I guess if I was having that issue to the point that the game was unfun, I'd try to take a prominent leadership role while playing a strong carry.

When I get frustrated I usually just use Witch Doctor, since I know I can stomp with him without having to rely on others to pick or play support heroes.

I guess if I was having that issue to the point that the game was unfun, I'd try to take a prominent leadership role while playing a strong carry.

When I get frustrated I usually just use Witch Doctor, since I know I can stomp with him without having to rely on others to pick or play support heroes.
nah you should probably just feed and ruin other people's time

antigoon

I gave this game a second chance after trying it about six months ago and not seeing the appeal at all.

I've actually been having fun! Taking the time to read up on some theory and watch some Purge videos for the heroes I've been picking has been really helpful in that regard.

I'm only level 6 but the one thing that's kinda annoying is that I feel like I'm forced into picking a support hero every time because if I don't there's a 75% chance no one else will either.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I gave this game a second chance after trying it about six months ago and not seeing the appeal at all.

I've actually been having fun! Taking the time to read up on some theory and watch some Purge videos for the heroes I've been picking has been really helpful in that regard.

I'm only level 6 but the one thing that's kinda annoying is that I feel like I'm forced into picking a support hero every time because if I don't there's a 75% chance no one else will either.

But supports are more fun to play

fiore

Banned

captains draft?

I asked Helenek if he would autograph my gamma brothers courier and he said he would but he doesn't know how to :(

well first you go forwards or back in time to an international and find him there when hes at the signing booth and he'll scan your badge which is tied to your steam account

ta da

that ez

G-Unit

`Hello everybody

Just want to wish everybody a great year.

I learned a lot of dota last year. I went from flaming to realize my lvl. Hope I break 4000 by the end of the year.

Cheers.

btw. Who is the mod that lurks this thread? I lost my pass and my email is from comcast which I no longer have. Hi?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Watch them release a custom map editor then Valve releases theirs in the next patch.

#nofunallowed

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
yeah we were supposed to get a patch this month

where is it valve

is it tonight?!?

In all honesty I like the increase in communication Valve has seemed to adopt in the past two months or so. I love that we know when to expect the next big patch (late January) and have a little teaser for it.

Manus

Ogre Magi is my favorite after Timber. But that might be because Draskyl does a hilarious imitation of them.

Edit: Also i didnt know that Ogre magi was nolan north until I looked it up on the wiki.

Ogre is my favorite voice as well. Had no clue Nolan did more heroes than Ogre though.

Bcap2DtCAAANsW4.jpg

sixghost

You're as good as your team in Dota.
ELO hell doesn't exist

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Valve should try and release custom maps with the Chinese New Year update, could bring in loads of new players.

sixghost

Valve should try and release custom maps with the Chinese New Year update, could bring in loads of new players.

I really hope they use some sort of lobby system for custom maps. Custom maps in SC2 were a fucking disaster because there was zero version control and there was no way to know if anyone was playing that specific game at that time. Blizzard used some kind of bastardized matchmaking system for each specific customer map which made it impossible to get a game going unless you just stacked it yourself because there were 18 versions of Special Forces on the most popular list. In retrospect it's sad how dinky-ass battle.net from 1997 worked better than battle.net 2.0.

I really hope they use some sort of lobby system for custom maps. Custom maps in SC2 were a fucking disaster because there was zero version control and there was no way to know if anyone was playing that specific game at that time. Blizzard used some kind of bastardized matchmaking system for each specific customer map which made it impossible to get a game going unless you just stacked it yourself because there were 18 versions of Special Forces on the most popular list.

I think Valve won't screw it up too badly. Half of them are former modders, they know what this stuff needs to survive and thrive. All of their multiplayer games have server browsers and lobbies.

Granted right before SC2 had released I would have said the same about Blizzard. Alas, c'est la vie.

BraXzy

I know these feels. "Just one more...I'm not going to bed on a loss..."

I still get stubborn like that from time to time, but now it's more like "lose 2 straight, time to stop." Your performance tends to degrade with losses. You loose a bit of your concentration and start fucking up little things. Like sharp map awareness. Or missing easy CS. Or missing opportunities in fights.

This happened to me last night. I don't think I was even on a losing streak, I just didn't feel like I'd had a successful game where I felt I'd done well. So I kept playing till I had a worthy game, which I don't think happened. It got to the point where I was doing stupid stuff like killing the bear instead of the druid and losing a kill and I realised it was time to call it a night :L

Karakand

I need to find a significant block of time before I play against other people. Decided to spectate one of the matches going on and it was already 30 or 40 minutes into the match. I left it do something else 15 minutes later and it was still going on!

I think I played 10-12 hours of the game before I tried playing with real people. Not sure if that was optimal, but I felt a lot more comfortable about moving to the next level after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom