• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

iDSgau8cKniyi.png

RIP Zhou retires
http://t.qq.com/p/t/275572111189494

Translation:
<<I am retiring>>: I made this choice on my own. I am very grateful to my friends who always supported me. I hope you won't feel too bad. I will remain in the scene, doing commentary (casting) or coaching.
I remember when I first started playing professionally. I didn't know what was esports, didn't think you could make money doing this. I played solely because I enjoyed this game.
All the professional players probably thought like that in the beginning. We were young back then, we reveled in our youth, played our keyboard to the esports melody. We fought for our dreams!
I... couldn't stop, neither my parents nor my teachers could persuade me to turn back. I kept walking towards my dream, step by step.
All these years, under the pressure at home and comments from the netizens (people online), I took one world championship after another, my dreams and glory was at a peak! I want to thank every one of my former and current teammates, I achieved my dreams because of you, I also thank my teachers and fans for their support and believing in me - they gave me motivation to push forward.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah I really want to go to TI4, hopefully the ticket fiasco isn't as crazy as last year. They should really limit you to something like 4 tickets per person maximum to prevent people from buying enormous quantities just for flipping.

You were limited in the number of tickets, there really are just a shit ton of people wanting to get them. I think only like 800 were on sale.

Valve is just going to need a bigger venue this year, or come up with a lottery system on allowing people to buy tickets. I'm hoping to actually go this year, last year I had to move around the time of TI3 and ended up selling the ticket a few weeks before.

Chris R

You were limited in the number of tickets, there really are just a shit ton of people wanting to get them. I think only like 800 were on sale.

Valve is just going to need a bigger venue this year, or come up with a lottery system on allowing people to buy tickets. I'm hoping to actually go this year, last year I had to move around the time of TI3 and ended up selling the ticket a few weeks before.

Key Arena!!! Do it volvo!

Nah, I like the venue. Good location, accessible parking and public transit, guaranteed to fill it up, built in stage, nice atmosphere and hall design. There's something special about looking back and seeing a packed house, and feeling the roar when big plays happen. I'm just not sure going from a 2,000 seat venue to a 17,000 seat venue (Key Arena) is necessary. But hey...if League can fill up arenas that size, maybe Dota can by then too. I think it would be easier for them to do if TI4 was held in Europe since the game is objectively bigger in popularity everywhere BUT the US...but who knows.

Razzer

Nah, I like the venue. Good location, accessible parking and public transit, guaranteed to fill it up, built in stage, nice atmosphere and hall design. There's something special about looking back and seeing a packed house, and feeling the roar when big plays happen. I'm just not sure going from a 2,000 seat venue to a 17,000 seat venue (Key Arena) is necessary. But hey...if League can fill up arenas that size, maybe Dota can by then too. I think it would be easier for them to do if TI4 was held in Europe since the game is objectively bigger everywhere BUT the US...but who knows.

If tickets sell out in a couple of hours for an event in over two months you generally should be able to fill up at least twice your current size. Obviously Valve should be conservative in any increase as they want to make sure they can fill up, but I reckon they could get at least 5000 in.

Edit: my knowledge of Seattle is limited, is this Key arena the next step up in venue size? If so I take your point.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
If tickets sell out in a couple of hours for an event in over two months you generally should be able to fill up at least twice your current size. Obviously Valve should be conservative in any increase as they want to make sure they can fill up, but I reckon they could get at least 5000 in.

Edit: my knowledge of Seattle is limited, is this Key arena the next step up in venue size? If so I take your point.

5,000 seats filled would look pretty bad in a 17,000 seat arena.

Does Seattle have an "in between" sized venue like that, though? If so, I agree. A 5,000 seat auditorium would be the next logical step.

edit: a quick googling of "seattle auditoriums" suggests there isn't an in-between sized auditorium.

Yea, from what I'm seeing (and I may not be seeing everything), everywhere else looks smaller than the current venue. (Benayaora Hall.)

5,000 seats filled would look pretty bad in a 17,000 seat arena.

Unfortunately it would, yes. I feel like they'd want to be able to fill up at least half of any large arena + the floor. So at least 10,000. Maybe Dota is ready for 10,000 spectators live in Seattle. I think LA or NY would be a little easier to pull that off...but what do I know.

I was hoping there were venues that held around 5000. However, it seems that is not the case. Oh well, guess Valve just have to make a judgement as to whether they could fill it.

It would be an easy problem to solve if they were interested in moving to other cities. I don't think that's in the cards anytime soon, though.

Acinixys

I just installed the NBA Jam mega kills announcer pack and holy shit...talk about elevating the game to an entirely new level.

Almost as good as the Mortal Combat mod for LC

Guys, has anyone else noticed a bug where ground target spells spells dont end their animation at their max cast range?

Weavers bugs and Tusks Ice Shards do this in my game. If they are cast their animation doesnt end till the spell travels off the map

So if youre at the T1 bot and cast Ice Shards at the T1 top, the shards will keep moving across the map till it leaves the maps edge. Its weird

shira

Does Seattle have an "in between" sized venue like that, though? If so, I agree. A 5,000 seat auditorium would be the next logical step.

edit: a quick googling of "seattle auditoriums" suggests there isn't an in-between sized auditorium.
iSMJf2UZ8FOQD.png

Why not UW Huskies Basketball court. Seats max 10,000. Variable configurations for gymnastics, volleyball etc. Already has security/staff to handle crowd, easy to setup Secret Shop, Workshop etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines_Arena_at_Hec_Edmundson_Pavilion

also 11 miles from Valve offices sames as Benaroya.

iSMJf2UZ8FOQD.png

Why not UW Huskies Basketball court. Seats max 10,000. Variable configurations for gymnastics, volleyball etc. Already has security/staff to handle crowd, easy to setup Secret Shop, Workshop etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines_Arena_at_Hec_Edmundson_Pavilion

also 11 miles from Valve offices sames as Benaroya.

How close/far from civilization? Downtown brings its own benefits, knaamean?

Looks like the right size, imo. Maybe we should email Gaben and ask him if he's looked at that venue.

shira

How close/far from civilization? Downtown brings its own benefits, knaamean?

Looks like the right size, imo. Maybe we should email Gaben and ask him if he's looked at that venue.

icIdkaKhBFx14.png

A Benaroya
B Valve
C UW
D Key Arena

That's the limitation its on campus not near the hotels/downtown.
ibxkZV4dTNK6Dx.png

Hylian7

Today I learned that apparently Ancients can now snipe walking couriers. I always new that neutrals never attacked couriers before. I'm going to try and see if regular neutrals can attack them too.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Saw Mek on Bristle a decent bit last patch in competitive games. I tried it once and my mana pool suffered early on. Not a fan.

Acinixys

After 27 games with Windrunner (and a disgusting 30% winrate) I think im getting the hang of her.

Got some amazing shackles, especially on a Timbersaw who kept trying to chain away from me.

Kreunt

Banned
After 27 games with Windrunner (and a disgusting 30% winrate) I think im getting the hang of her.

Got some amazing shackles, especially on a Timbersaw who kept trying to chain away from me.

I'm on 38 games and 42%, she was the hero I mostly played when I was new, rarely use her these days.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Nah, I like the venue. Good location, accessible parking and public transit, guaranteed to fill it up, built in stage, nice atmosphere and hall design. There's something special about looking back and seeing a packed house, and feeling the roar when big plays happen. I'm just not sure going from a 2,000 seat venue to a 17,000 seat venue (Key Arena) is necessary. But hey...if League can fill up arenas that size, maybe Dota can by then too. I think it would be easier for them to do if TI4 was held in Europe since the game is objectively bigger in popularity everywhere BUT the US...but who knows.

I don't think Dota needs something that hold 17k yet. A 5k seat venue would likely be a good size, I just don't know if such a thing exists in the Seattle area that can be rented out for a week.

I mean, the player base has doubled since last year, Valve ether needs a larger venue, or to make tickets like $300 flat out.

Maybe they could get the Paramount Theatre, it supposedly holds 3k people. I just don't know if they would be able to set up suitable screens:
819-0.jpg

shira

would probably be hard to get a place like that for the amount of time they need.
Renting out a university basketball court in August would be relatively easy. Everyone is on break
I don't think Dota needs something that hold 17k yet. A 5k seat venue would likely be a good size, I just don't know if such a thing exists in the Seattle area that can be rented out for a week.

I mean, the player base has doubled since last year, Valve ether needs a larger venue, or to make tickets like $300 flat out.
Why up the ticket price? It's like any doTa cosmetic - resale value is determined by rarity and buyer demand

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
How much were TI3 tickets on the secondary market? I'd sure like to get mine for Valve's price but I pretty much intend to go no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom