• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've played with some pretty awful Faceless Void's but tonight was the first one where I've had a Void actively cause my team to lose with multiple, terrible Chronospheres that basically resulted in team wipes. He would basically, unintentionally, set us up for Shadow Fiends ult. Get stunned by Leshrac and accomplish nothing, other than makign us lose teamfights.

We were winning when he just farmed in our jungle but he cost us some mid-late game fights that resulted in losing towers and barracks when he came out to "help".

It was All Random, ended up playing Support Doom, which wasn't entirely awful. With Devour I had a Mek up pretty quickly. It was just dicey because Doom's early mana pool is so shit, got arcanes and drums next and things got better quickly. I actually liked playing Doom like that.

M.D

I've played with some pretty awful Faceless Void's but tonight was the first one where I've had a Void actively cause my team to lose with multiple, terrible Chronospheres that basically resulted in team wipes. He would basically, unintentionally, set us up for Shadow Fiends ult. Get stunned by Leshrac and accomplish nothing, other than makign us lose teamfights.

We were winning when he just farmed in our jungle but he cost us some mid-late game fights that resulted in losing towers and barracks when he came out to "help".

It was All Random, ended up playing Support Doom, which wasn't entirely awful. With Devour I had a Mek up pretty quickly. It was just dicey because Doom's early mana pool is so shit, got arcanes and drums next and things got better quickly. I actually liked playing Doom like that.

Speaking of Void..

The last 2 games I played him, I didn't get BF and got Midas > Morbid Mask > Crystalis (or the other way around)

It worked out pretty great! BF is such an expensive item, I really don't think it gives him that much compared to the cost and if you Chrono naked with BF, you won't do shit.
When I went in pretty early with Crystalis and some good attack speed, it wasn't completely useless.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
At least it's not like this.

"First blood, with a poison twist!"
Teammate of guy that died to FB: ggwpff

No, but I had one of those earlier today. With a Viper on my team who lost to a QoP.

The Viper is on my friend's list.

I really need more people to play with, GAF. ;___;

Utility Doom is weirdly fun. Other heroes can play that role better, sure, but it's hardly the worst thing in the world. Kinda like support Wraith King. It should be awful on paper, but it somehow works out okay.

Acinixys

At least it's not like this.

"First blood, with a poison twist!"
Teammate of guy that died to FB: ggwpff

The preemptive GG call is never fun

Had a game a few days ago when the Lion on my team called GG at 23 minutes. We won at 70.

Speaking of Void..

The last 2 games I played him, I didn't get BF and got Midas > Morbid Mask > Crystalis (or the other way around)

It worked out pretty great! BF is such an expensive item, I really don't think it gives him that much compared to the cost and if you Chrono naked with BF, you won't do shit.
When I went in pretty early with Crystalis and some good attack speed, it wasn't completely useless.

Im fairly sure Hylian7 worked out that Maelstrom does WAY more damage early game than a BF could ever achieve. I really like Deso and Crit on Void before BF. Makes getting solo kills much easier

BF on Void is really just to help him farm faster since he's pretty useless early game any way. And then there is that small chance that you get a really good ultimate and you know the rest lol. I haven't played Void in this metagame but his early game is trash either way you build him.

Just 5 hours of Hearthstone between Dota matches, no problem.

And I LIKE Hearthstone. This whole different games on the same stream though is silly.

Some Russians are killing PyrionFlax over and over again upon spawning in base with a Gyro Aghs + AA ult und Nature's Prophet Ult. Oh god lol.

Kard8p3

Hylian seriously has 70 games as ES and a ton of them ranked?
smh
SMH
At that low KDA and WR

bfDpuJN.gif

Can't believe that.

ElyrionX

I must say, I have been enjoying solo ranked a lot. Just had a game where we won after losing mid rax first. Wasn't expecting to win that because their TH blink ravage was killing us and their PA got fat. Our Enchant kept getting caught out of position and LC and Abbadon tended to overextend. But somehow their PA didn't get BKB and their strongest player was Invoker. Once our Abaddon, BS and LC bought BKBs, we were stomping all over them. Always nice to come back and win a game like that. I mean, don't get me wrong, I run into many retards but everybody wants to win and eventually people do listen. I made many mistakes as well such as stupidly feeding first blood and forgetting to Mek at times but I guess, my tier is low enough for me to get away with such stuff.

Nirvana

I think MMR must be based on more than just win/loss, because Merlini has a 70% win rate and only has 5449, whereas Dendi has 55% and has 5700 and SingSing has 54% and has 6000.

Just sayin.

brentech

I think MMR must be based on more than just win/loss, because Merlini has a 70% win rate and only has 5449, whereas Dendi has 55% and has 5700 and SingSing has 54% and has 6000.

Just sayin.

Pretty sure the big dota 2 blog post explaining MMR said you could lose and still gain MMR

Nymerio

Had my second game with earth spirit today after playing him once previously on release. Getting the initial levels against a mid sniper was somewhat annoying but after that I did pretty well. I didn't feed and even managed to get some nice combos off. It was actually a bit easier than I anticipated, really cool hero.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
What happened after you guys hit that glyph ? killed Alch and Jugg who don't have buybacks?

great job btw.
Yea we just barely killed them. My team went to fight them in their base and I BoT there and planned double mass serpent wards and whittled down their towers and throne. Their storm spirit realized what was happening and came to kill the wards. I was down to four or so wards when they took down the throne. So much adrenaline at that moment.

ElyrionX

Pretty sure the big dota 2 blog post explaining MMR said you could lose and still gain MMR

There has been virtually no evidence of this though. Apparently, it is easier to find sightings of Meepo in pro games than it is to find someone's MMR going up after losing a game.

ElyrionX

Just sayin.

Approximately how many games in total have all three recorded?

There has been virtually no evidence of this though. Apparently, it is easier to find sightings of Meepo in pro games than it is to find someone's MMR going up after losing a game.

I feel that in my placement matches I went up even though losing, the quality of my team mates went up considerably.

Also are those winrates and mmr's consistent? Is that their winrate for solo/party matched matched to their mmr for solo/party?

ElyrionX

I feel that in my placement matches I went up even though losing, the quality of my team mates went up considerably.

Also are those winrates and mmr's consistent? Is that their winrate for solo/party matched matched to their mmr for solo/party?

Placement matches don't count. My MMR went up after losing one of my placement matches as well.

The relationship between win-rate and MMR is is unclear. I have a near 53% win-rate but my MMR is only 3.1k. I have seen some people on my friends list who have MMR of 3.5k and have win-rates of only about 50%. Though to be fair, my win-rate only really shot up after ranked MM was introduced which meant that my starting MM from the normal pub games before RMM was probably quite low.

A relatively high win rate of 55% only means that you win 55 in 100 games. Assuming that the average MMR added and lost over 100 games is 25 per game, playing 100 games at a 55% win-rate only nets you an overall MMR increase of ~250 (10*25).

Given the highly dynamic nature of the core game, my sense is that a rather large amount of grinding is required before the average player would reach their peak or natural MMR. This actually makes sense given the fact that one of Valve's primary concerns of implementing a public ranking system is that players would get discouraged once they see their MMR plateau out. Drawing out the process of reaching one's own natural MMR would keep players in the game longer and delay the "discouragement" phase.

Epix

It happened to me yesterday. Went up about 6 points after a loss. We had someone who had less than 50 games played, total. When the algorithm can't produce a "well balanced" game it will come up with something and compensate through the MMR.

ViviOggi

It happened to me yesterday. Went up about 6 points after a loss. We had someone who had less than 50 games played, total. When the algorithm can't produce a "well balanced" game it will come up with something and compensate through the MMR.

Do you remember how long you had to wait for that match?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom