• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strider

sentries and dust, sentries and dust. for sniper, you need some ccs and gap closers. can't let the game go on too long either, since he'll inevitably start critting and ministunning like a madman.

aaahhhh ok I looked at the wiki page and I see now. Thanks

Obviously I still have a ways to go learning all the heroes and items.

@Drkirby thanks. I looked up the gem too. Damn that sounds risky lol

Strider

In actuality Sniper is hilariously easy to kill early game. If he's solo mid, which he surely will be in a pub match, just beat him up repeatedly in the early game. Many mids can kill him solo but even weaker mids will do it with a support gank.

ok good to know. I've struggled so far in the early game with ranged heroes. My natural reaction is to back off when in a battle early game because I don't wanna feed but I guess in this case I should be more aggressive huh?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
ok good to know. I've struggled so far in the early game with ranged heroes. My natural reaction is to back off when in a battle early game because I don't wanna feed but I guess in this case I should be more aggressive huh?

Many of the pubstomp heroes thrive off of intimidation. You don't want to be aggressive to Sniper or Viper or Drow because you remember that last game when he was absolutely destroying you late game. But early game he's got about 35 HP and doesn't hurt much. Getting right up in his face with Clockwerk or somebody is exactly what you actually want to do.

That being said there's nothing wrong with being cautious as a new player. If you aren't confident, try to get a support with a good stun to come help, and you should be golden. Eventually you'll get a better feel for how aggressive you can be in a given hero matchup. I've gotten dozens of solo level 2 or 3 first bloods mid as Invoker or others vs Sniper. It's very satisfying.

Strider

Many of the pubstomp heroes thrive off of intimidation. You don't want to be aggressive to Sniper or Viper or Drow because you remember that last game when he was absolutely destroying you late game. But early game he's got about 35 HP and doesn't hurt much. Getting right up in his face with Clockwerk or somebody is exactly what you actually want to do.

That being said there's nothing wrong with being cautious as a new player. If you aren't confident, try to get a support with a good stun to come help, and you should be golden. Eventually you'll get a better feel for how aggressive you can be in a given hero matchup. I've gotten dozens of solo level 2 or 3 first bloods mid as Invoker or others vs Sniper. It's very satisfying.

Very helpful post. Thanks.

Quesa

I'm beginning to wonder if nerfing his silence/stun so that it can only affect one hero per cast wouldn't go a long way in balancing Earth Spirit. He could still solo gank like a motherfucker, sure, but so can lots of heroes. I think the fact that he can run in on more than one person, without farm, and expect to get at least one kill is, if nothing else, why people get so pissed off at him.

Was Earth Spirit not this broken in Dota 1? I don't understand why this all seems to be a surprise. Did they not have time to balance him in Dota 1 before bringing him over?

Demoli

Was Earth Spirit not this broken in Dota 1? I don't understand why this all seems to be a surprise. Did they not have time to balance him in Dota 1 before bringing him over?

I believe in dota 1 pubstompers were the heroes to rule the game, and that the quality of play in Dota 2 is much higher. This is also why I believe is the reason Ember spirit got so many nerfs, despite never truly being an imbalanced carachter, and is now one of the worst due to that. Since ES is much less of a snowballing carry that becomes unstopable later but rather a support/initiator/ganker with loads of repositioning abilities that are broken when teamwork and communication is applied he was much less of an issue in dota 1.

Due to this i'm also really scared of Oracle, who has the potential to be completely broken aswell.

Hylian7

Earth Spirit only existed in Dota 1 since June of this year. He hasn't been in very long plus not as many people play Dota 1 now, so it makes sense that most of his balancing is in Dota 2.

He only existed for a few months (5?) before coming over. I imagine all dota 2 servers valve scraps data from is an immense help in balancing.

Spookie

Why is there no courier of the year or item of the year or other smaller more insignificant but fun things of the year?

Other suggestions include:

- Communities most childish tantrum of the year.
- V1lat's most misogynist tweet of the year
- Tobis most racist comment of the year.
- Shittiest tournament item of the year.
- Most salty in house of the year.
- EuroGAF sponsors: Biggest throw of the year.

Karakand

It's weird that you neglect to talk about your games where you go 0-8, get triple boots, but your teammates carry you to victory.

fsEvi5R.jpg

#ProStrats

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
New crummy hero idea, the magus apprentice/the channeler. Hero has 5 spells that can be ranked up to 5, all spells require channeling.

Spell 1, global mega man blaster. He can charge up a nuke skill shot that will travel quickly until it hits an enemy unit. Uses up mana as it is channeled, can channel upto 10 seconds.

Spell 2, channeling cyclone. Can keep an enemy cycloned for up to 10 seconds.

Spell 3, channeling visage like static link thingy. Drains attack and move speed and gives them to you.

Spell 4, long range dash thing. You charge up a dash, that will have an aa like tracker dart to show you where you will go. Drains mana as you are changing, spell gets cancelled and put in cool down if you get stunned while charging. Stun any enemies you dash though.

Spell 5, create a consumable item. You channel for a few seconds, and create a consumable that will heal hp and mana, and purge self. Consumable drops 500 units in front of you, can be used by enemy. Item well take up an inventory spot, does not stack, amount healed scales with levels.

Sound fun enough to play?

iloled

Banned
Since when is "I bought it at the end" an excuse for having three pairs of boots?

At the end of the game when I win I can do anything I want right? Sometimes I don't end and I just go back to open as many couriers as I can. Sometimes I sell all my items and buy sentry wards

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
New crummy hero idea, the magus apprentice/the channeler. Hero has 5 spells that can be ranked up to 5, all spells require channeling.

Spell 1, global mega man blaster. He can charge up a nuke skill shot that will travel quickly until it hits an enemy unit. Uses up mana as it is channeled, can channel upto 10 seconds.

Spell 3, channeling visage like static link thingy. Drains attack and move speed and gives them to you.

Spell 4, long range dash thing. You charge up a dash, that will have an aa like tracker dart to show you where you will go. Drains mana as you are changing, spell gets cancelled and put in cool down if you get stunned while charging. Stun any enemies you dash though.

Spell 5, create a consumable item. You channel for a few seconds, and create a consumable that will heal hp and mana, and purge self. Consumable drops 500 units in front of you, can be used by enemy. Item well take up an inventory spot, does not stack, amount healed scales with levels.

Interesting, but at least at first blush I'm not sure if his gimmick is "exciting". He feels like a close variant on Invoker with his disparate skillset

Demoli

This guy is clockwerk's wet dream.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
At the end of the game when I win I can do anything I want right? Sometimes I don't end and I just go back to open as many couriers as I can. Sometimes I sell all my items and buy sentry wards

Right, so further confirming that you are the kind of player who is the problem with this game's community, rather than the other way around.

iloled

Banned
Nothing you do is wrong brah... don't let these guys bully you!

It's everyone else that is the problem!

If you don't think I'm wrong... you're wrong

how am I trolling?

I admit I got banned before but that was because of a rape joke. It was impossible since it involved a company. Immediately everyone started saying "not funny etc etc etc". Had no idea Neogaf was this sensitive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom