• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirvana

It seems like your complaint is really about the players, and not Captain's Mode itself. You can't say that Captain's Mode is 'imbalanced' simply because players don't know how to draft, pick or communicate with their teammates. There is a reason you can select what mode you want to queue in. If you don't have a stack, it's unwise to queue Captain's mode because you likely wont have the same communication to get a good team compilation and wont have the knowledge of your teammates skill/heroes they are skillful at to make educated choices as a captain.

Does this mean the mode is 'unfair' for lower level players? Technically, you could suggest it isn't fair, because lower level players wouldn't have the overall hero knowledge or ability to adapt that higher level players would. The issue is, that this is not the game mode's fault, it is the fault of the players for queuing in a mode they are unlikely to have the game knowledge to play correctly. You can't blame a mode when people have the option to simply not queue in it.

You could say the same for AR and SD though, since these modes essentially rely on players to have good overall knowledge of the heroes in the game; therefore these modes suffer from basically the same issue as Captain's Mode - lack of knowledge on the players' part. They are more 'unfair' though, because you can't work around that, by picking heroes players are comfortable with and banning others like you can in CM.

I feel like your argument hinges on the player base and not the mode itself and calling CM 'imbalanced' because players don't know how to play it is a fallacy.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
anbokrs lycan got carried by my bigdick earthshaker. Dont even front i one shot almost everything.

bro it was a team effort here let's not get 2 cocky ok u killed heroes and distracted and i killed all the buildings

it was a glorious day for US history as america slew europa

Quesa

Huh Titanfall reminded me that you don't have to feel like complete shit when you lose and that feeling is carrying over to dota to some extent. I've been losing a bunch recently but I'm starting to care less about it. I'm -2 on w/l but I'm playing characters I like instead of cping all the time and worrying about winning.

Razzer

Huh Titanfall reminded me that you don't have to feel like complete shit when you lose and that feeling is carrying over to dota to some extent. I've been losing a bunch recently but I'm starting to care less about it. I'm -2 on w/l but I'm playing characters I like instead of cping all the time and worrying about winning.

Welcome to the group, feels good right? You can be competitive and seek wins without feeling awful when you lose if you think positively. I just imagine each game as a new rung on the ladder of self-improvement.

In other news, just had a game as CM where we were dire, the enemy clinkz was top and got scared out of lane by our PL. I take a risk and try to cut him off before he gets to the safety of his T2 tower. Run up the river, place sentry and kill him. Judging his location felt goooood. And this happened twice haha.

In other other news, do people feel PA is strong enough yet? What buffs does she need, if any, to get in the comp scene? I just wanna see my waifu picked :(

In other other news, do people feel PA is strong enough yet? What buffs does she need, if any, to get in the comp scene? I just wanna see my waifu picked :(
The problem is she is incredibly luck-dependent and can't do much if she's unlucky (unlike Chaos Knight, who still has a stun and a consistent form of damage output)

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map

Phantom Strike should go through magic immunity, for starters. Ridiculous that this is still not the case.

Whereas RD and SD comes with an inherent element of randomness that doesn't jive with the idea of "competitiveness", "ranked" or "ladder". .

CD comes with an absolute level of randomness and is in ranked. You could argue that the banning phase negates that to some extent, but given the Captains I've gotten... no.

Artanisix

ok humor me here. suppose i am bad. how does that change the fact that 1) cm is not balanced for me and the other 99% people playing the game and 2) how does that invalidate me wanting other modes for ranked and 3) how should that stop other people from playing other modes which are actually more fair for them

your argument is akin to judging all cultures by the same values

let me put it another way, why do you think 99% of the people should play a game mode that isn't balanced for them

What do you even mean by "cm is not balanced for me and 99% of the people playing the game"?

Razzer

I struggle to think of PA buffs because I'm not sure what would benefit her. Dagger and Phantom Strike are decent already, buffing them wouldn't change much (though going through magic immunity could help), Blur and Coup De Grace are so chance based you basically just have to improve the percentages but I don't know whether that is a good idea. And it's hard to add effects onto anything without it sounding silly like the ones above. I guess the numbers are the easiest thing to experiment with, so a better chance of ult procs?

Quesa

I struggle to think of PA buffs because I'm not sure what would benefit her. Dagger and Phantom Strike are decent already, buffing them wouldn't change much (though going through magic immunity could help), Blur and Coup De Grace are so chance based you basically just have to improve the percentages but I don't know whether that is a good idea. And it's hard to add effects onto anything without it sounding silly like the ones above. I guess the numbers are the easiest thing to experiment with, so a better chance of ult procs?

Best thing I could think of would be to make it like BH's critical strike, where it's sure to come out after cd. Would remove some dps since it couldn't proc continuously, but I think the consistency would make her easier to build around for a competitive team.

Also you could have phantom strike proc a crit no matter what and have it not count as the actual ult. She could be ganker instead of having to farm a bunch of shit before she can even fight effectively.

NBtoaster

The minimap hiding aspect of blur should be more useful. It should work the opposite way, so she disappears from the minimap when not near enemy heroes (so its easier for her to farm).

Sibylus

Banned

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
PA is granted 25/50/75 MS for 2/4/6 seconds every time she procs Coup de Grace.

>->

We suggesting broke things? Ok, Coup De Grace now gives +25/+50/+75 damage in addition to the crit chance. Now you don't even need to build damage.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I see that there is a NeoGAF group on Steam.
What do I have to do to get an invite to that?

There was a while where I believe Loda was using her in Alliances matches. He would go Drums->BKB (not sure he may have even grabbed a Bfury) and it was pretty effective against the likes of Naix and Alchemist. The problem with PA is that if you get shut down early you're squishy pretty much all game, and your entire ability to do damage is dependant on a 15% chance crit. If they knocked some of the damage of Coup and gave her better Str/HP gain and maybe higher AGI gain, I think she would be a lot better off. As it stands right now, the competitive scene hates unreliability, and PA embodies that.

I would say CK is a really poor comparison from above. CK has the benefit of being a STR hero which means he has better survivability throught the early and mid game, a 2-4 second stun, a better gap closer, and mirror images that can make him a little more elusive. He also has ungodly base damage, which makes for an easier time farming in the early and mid game, and Armlet is standard on him which really drives the point home.

Alright guys I have a confession to make. I think I actually enjoy watching Rat Dota. Been watching replays of a few Rat Dota games recently and I have to say that I've enjoyed the experience. Sure there is a lack of action but I just really enjoy the tactical aspect of it. I find two teams trying to chip away at each other to be quite compelling. I dunno if I'd enjoy it if every game of Dota was like this, but I can appreciate it's qualities. Pls don't hate me.

Chris R

Nothing worse than a one trick pony doom who is total shit when his main target builds a linkens.

edit: take that back, a game that should have ended at 35 minutes going 65 is worse, but it is hell when they are combined

Been autolocking void a ton lately... and I love when stuff like this happens.

Entire enemy team basically tried to counterpick void with swaps... pulls... torrents.... doom... glimpse...etc etc etc. I've seen doom, vengeful and pudge in more games vs my faceless than any other time.

Then we got a timbersaw.

And well.. lol.

q9xkUCU.jpg

can't say I agree with you.

Name the five weakest heroes of this version. This version is so good that I have a hard time naming three.

1. Drow Ranger
2. Sniper
3. Tusk
4. Undying
5. Bloodseeker
6. Axe
7. Medusa
8. Ogre Magi
9. Pudge
10. Witch Doctor

Pudge grants the enemy mid free farm unless he hooks him. He gets outlaned by everyone unless he happens to catch the opponent out of position. Having a free farming Puck, Storm Spirit or Dragon Knight mid can ruin your game.

And I swear it's impossible to win a game with Drow at 4K MMR. She deals no damage and melts once anybody closes the gap on her. So bad.

Hylian7

You can't be serious?
These heroes aren't weak or bad, I would argue that Medusa is the only crappy one in there.

Sniper is shit, the others that are bolded aren't.

Also I hate it when people on your team just stay on your case if you make one mistake ever. So stupid.

You can't be serious?
These heroes aren't weak or bad, I would argue that Medusa is the only crappy one in there.

Medusa is amazing if you can pull of a 4p1, the problem is that you can get the same damage output from Gyro but he's effective from the start of the game until the end. If there's a Medusa on your team you need like 3 semi-supports and a semi-carry, all of whome have solid disable and damage output, because you're playing a 30 minute 4v5 game until she gets Linkens and some damage. The current meta favours pushing and early game aggression, something that basically counters Medusa's hero at a conceptual level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom