• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.

F!ReW!Re

Hah over the course of 2 pages it went from: "You nub Ember sucks, never see him win" to:
"OMG HE IN CM, HE OWNS FACES!"

I think xboct will pick him up first in competitive. He's so good on ember.

Well it would fit xboct's style because he really shines with heroes that can be ultra aggressive (like weaver).

Gonna watch that Sadboys game when I get home to see the ember ownage.

No one actually know how to build this hero. I'll come out and say you should just stack utility/stats item on him since he sucks as a lategame carry anyway.

EDIT: i mean 3 bfury is fun as shit cause you instagib supports that walk near a creep for whatever reason, but that's on the level of stupidty of blink bfury kka, you X urself, u blink near a creep beside an hero, attack the creep for pure damage splash and X back. Fucking OP

I've been building phase --> Yasha + drums on him then going for something like Deso into Daedalus and that seems to work VERY well. (Especially because your base movement speed is so damn high combined with phase, yasha and drums and you can basically keep up with a Q/W invoker)

F!ReW!Re

I just wish it was against a better team :( Not saying that SWAG are bad, just not in the same league as SAD.

True, but I expect him to be picked up a lot in the next few days (in pro), which will result in him becoming more popular in pub games as well.
People will find out he's actually a decent carry and that stacking BF on him is just a waste.

Then comes the nerfs;
- because of his ult (it's like a better Morph Ult (that deals damage) and guaranteed escape)
- The amount of magic damage blocked on his shield is toodamnhigh.jpg

True his stat-gain is shit and his base damage is kinda crap but I expect they'll still give him a nerf regarding his ult and the flame shield.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
True, but I expect him to be picked up a lot in the next few days (in pro), which will result in him becoming more popular in pub games as well.
People will find out he's actually a decent carry and that stacking BF on him is just a waste.

Then comes the nerfs;
- because of his ult (it's like a better Morph Ult (that deals damage) and guaranteed escape)
- The amount of magic damage blocked on his shield is toodamnhigh.jpg

True his stat-gain is shit and his base damage is kinda crap but I expect they'll still give him a nerf regarding his ult and the flame shield.

Eh we'll see he's a very difficult hero (like Earth Spirit and Storm to a lesser extent, he's just a really active hero, you need above average timing, game sense, reflexes, and some foresight to play him compared to most other dota heroes) to play with very very weak passive survivability and awful stats (as you say). Not to mention he has severe mana issues, he's always burning mana and that's what usually keeps him from constantly ult-ing early game.

I don't usually like comparing skills... a better morph ult? Morph ulti is part of what makes him an amazing late game carry as he can copy someone like an AM or Radiance carry, it has an offensive component as well. Different abilities are different as are the overall hero kits they fit into it.

He's been nerfed plenty since he came out, and while he's good, strong even in the right hands, I don't know if I'm ready to call him broke. Let's give it a couple months lol. While SADBOYS crushed with him, PssT failed miserably.

F!ReW!Re

Eh we'll see he's a very difficult hero (like Earth Spirit and Storm to a lesser extent, he's just a really active hero, you need above average timing, game sense, reflexes, and some foresight to play him compared to other dota heroes) to play with very very weak passive survivability and awful stats (as you say). Not to mention he has severe mana issues, he's always burning mana and that's what usually keeps him from constantly ult-ing early game.

I ain't denying any of this, I just think he'll fall in a category like weaver where he's a major annoyance due to his ult (not as a damage dealing skill but pure survivability) and due to being able to dodge a shitload of spells with sleight of fists.

I don't usually like comparing skills... a better morph ult? Morph ulti is part of what makes him an amazing late game carry as he can copy someone like an AM or Radiance carry, it has an offensive component as well.

Was regarding it more as Morph uses his ult to quickly switch lanes or be "unkillable" because you can just ult out when you are getting ganked or you need to get the f out of dodge. (And I know morph is also hard to kill because of his ability/strength swap, but was just comparing the ults here ;-))
And don't forget combined with having a constant TP on him, he can lane/mid, tp back to base to regen, refil bottle and then ULT back to lane/mid again...

Hylian7

This problem is solved by a simple solution... learn to let go and just enjoy the flow. Take a break when not.

That's the thing. The 3k trench is not fun, and taking a break doesn't get me out of it. I know it's still the trench because you still see things like Battle Fury Bounty Hunters at this level.

I'm trying again on stream. Lets hope this one goes better.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Was regarding it more as Morph uses his ult to quickly switch lanes or be "unkillable" because you can just ult out when you are getting ganked or you need to get the f out of dodge.

And don't forget combined with having a constant TP on him, he can lane/mid, tp back to base to regen, refil bottle and then ULT back to lane/mid again...

Ofc his ulti gives him a lot of mobility and makes him a bitch to kill when he's played skillfully, doesn't make him impossible though--icefrog made sure with his awful stats and low armor that if he's ever caught, he goes down in an instant. The high manacost on his ulti and kit in general make it challenging to ulti more than once or twice in a prolonged fight early on and throughout the mid game.

Not to mention that no one ever builds manta on ember (and BKB rarely, both are subpar items on him IMO) making him even especially vulnerable to silences compared to other mobile heroes like Morph, Storm, or AM who's core item build helps to diminish this particular weakness.

Sibylus

Banned
That's the thing. The 3k trench is not fun, and taking a break doesn't get me out of it. I know it's still the trench because you still see things like Battle Fury Bounty Hunters at this level.

I'm trying again on stream. Lets hope this one goes better.
There is no trench, it's just yet another thing you're holding over your brain to make the game work and not fun. Quit obsessing about min-maxing the thing and just find your bliss.

F!ReW!Re

Ofc his ulti gives him a lot of mobility and makes him a bitch to kill when he's played skillfully, doesn't make him impossible though--icefrog made sure with his awful stats and low armor that if he's ever caught, he goes down in an instant. The high manacost on his ulti and kit in general make it challenging to ulti more than once or twice in a prolonged fight early on and throughout the mid game.

Not to mention that no one ever builds manta on ember (and BKB rarely, both are subpar items on him IMO) making him even especially vulnerable to silences compared to other mobile heroes like Morph, Storm, or AM who's core item build helps to diminish this particular weakness.

Well yeah, his weakness lies in his stats (stats gain and mana dependence) and his susceptibility to silences/direct stuns.
But that holds true for a lot of these glass cannons/high mobility heroes. A linken's could be pretty good on him (both in terms of survivability as in mana regen), but he'll have the same problem as weaver; Doesn't give him any damage if you do get this first.
One thing that he does have going for him is great movement speed though, running threads, drums, yasha on him makes him insanely fast..

I guess we'll see how this is going to develop these coming days. (Maybe I'm totally wrong and pro's will not even pick him, then I'll just keep my mouth shut from now on ;-)
I'm just excited and hoping to see him picked up a lot since I do enjoy playing overly aggressive heroes (like Timber, weaver, etc) although it backfires on me quite a lot as well.

Hylian7

Surely the trench does in fact exist. There has to be a bracket where you don't see people argue over lanes, people calling "gg finish quickly" after mid lost their lane, people going terrible builds (like BFury BH), telling people to report someone when they don't do well, and many more things like that. I have no idea what MMR it is, and obviously the trench reaches quite high, but surely there's a bracket like that somewhere.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Well yeah, his weakness lies in his stats (stats gain and mana dependence) and his susceptibility to silences/direct stuns.
But that holds true for a lot of these glass cannons/high mobility heroes. A linken's could be pretty good on him (both in terms of survivability as in mana regen), but he'll have the same problem as weaver; Doesn't give him any damage if you do get this first.
One thing that he does have going for him is great movement speed though, running threads, drums, yasha on him makes him insanely fast..

I guess we'll see how this is going to develop these coming days. (Maybe I'm totally wrong and pro's will not even pick him, then I'll just keep my mouth shut from now on ;-)
I'm just excited and hoping to see him picked up a lot since I do enjoy playing overly aggressive heroes (like Timber, weaver, etc) although it backfires on me quite a lot as well.

Oh I don't doubt pro's will pick him, he's a great hero. Clear strengths and clear weaknesses. I'm just pointing out that it's a little premature to be calling him broke ;).

Sibylus

Banned
Surely the trench does in fact exist. There has to be a bracket where you don't see people argue over lanes, people calling "gg finish quickly" after mid lost their lane, people going terrible builds (like BFury BH), telling people to report someone when they don't do well, and many more things like that. I have no idea what MMR it is, and obviously the trench reaches quite high, but surely there's a bracket like that somewhere.
Get used to disappointment.

F!ReW!Re

Oh I don't doubt pro's will pick him, he's a great hero. Clear strengths and clear weaknesses. I'm just pointing out that it's a little premature to be calling him broke ;).

Yeah should've nuanced that as in I think he's fine, but was kinda describing the standard "cycle" we go through with heroes who get added to CM and become flavor of the month.
I totally didn't write it down like that though, so you're right to point it out ;-)

Karakand

Hylian I watched 1.09's stream once and he got paired with a real dope. The trench is infinite.

I don't get it.

Though I kind of remember seeing that move on TV when I was younger.

Everyone has Dagons.

-----

If you're on the fence about the Captain's Draft tournament ticket, it's a hoot to watch elite players play with teams my garbage stack runs out nightly.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Yeah should've nuanced that as in I think he's fine, but was kinda describing the standard "cycle" we go through with heroes who get added to CM and become flavor of the month.
I totally didn't write it down like that though, so you're right to point it out ;-)

Yeah I think he'll become flavor of the month pretty quickly, he's an insanely fun hero and one of the best of the newly created heroes IMO. He deserves his due :). I think the very high winrate analysis blog someone posted awhile ago was saying people (pubs) are slowly getting better and better with ember, he's improved around 3-4% winrate over the last month with virtually no changes.

F!ReW!Re

If you're on the fence about the Captain's Draft tournament ticket, it's a hoot to watch elite players play with teams my garbage stack runs out nightly.

And that's the most interesting part for me at least;
These "drafts" seem a lot more similar to the daily pub drafts we get to play. (I'm hovering between 3800 - 4000 mmr atm, so this might not apply to all of you +4000k guys)

Yeah I think he'll become flavor of the month pretty quickly, he's an insanely fun hero and one of the best of the newly created heroes IMO. He deserves his due :). I think the very high winrate analysis blog someone posted awhile ago was saying people (pubs) are slowly getting better and better with ember, he's improved around 3-4% winrate over the last month with virtually no changes.

I'm mostly interested in how people/pro's are gonna build him from now on, getting pretty tired of seeing people going for stacking BF's. (It can kinda be compared to going BF on BH, it may look to work out sometimes but there's so much better stuff to get on him)

Hylian7

Hylian I watched 1.09's stream once and he got paired with a real dope. The trench is infinite.

Define "Real Dope", is that missing a few last hits or Blink Dagger on Anti-Mage? There's a big difference between those.

And again, I lost mid because 3 of their team spent 8 minutes sitting on me until they got the tower delaying my BoTs (Tinker) to 12 minutes-ish. It took til the third time they killed me for my team to put up wards and help me out.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
And that's the most interesting part for me at least;
These "drafts" seem a lot more similar to the daily pub drafts we get to play. (I'm hovering between 3800 - 4000 mmr atm, so this might not apply to all of you +4000k guys)

I'm mostly interested in how people/pro's are gonna build him from now on, getting pretty tired of seeing people going for stacking BF's. (It can kinda be compared to going BF on BH, it may look to work out sometimes but there's so much better stuff to get on him)

I honestly think he's just one of those heroes with one or two ideal builds (similar to AM).

Drums --> Deso ---> Crit or mass BFs are simply the most effective builds because of sleight of fist. The former is the more unselfish team oriented build, the latter is a more selfish higher damage build, and it's so so satisfying if you ever hit the double bfury + crit point of the game... oh man, one or two shotting entire teams regardless of their farm. Vlads was an interesting choice by fear, but someone was saying vlads is bugged and doesn't lifesteal during sleight, mjolnir is often thrown out as a potential build, but I think in dota 2 it's bugged where you can only get a max of 1 mjolnir proc per sleight making it extremely ineffective.

I'm more interested in seeing the teams people build around him (Magnus, DS?) and where they lane him (mid or safe). He can be a really strong mid against certain heroes with maxxed flameguard + chains. There's been an eternal endless debate on playdota about flame guard vs SoF max, seems both are good depending on the situation and it probably comes down to personal preference in the end (I'm leaning more towards max flameguard, 109 prefers max sleight).

I forgot to mention aside from being one of the most fun heroes in the game, ember's also got the coolest model and animations IMO. Really well designed hero from all aspects.

F!ReW!Re

Define "Real Dope", is that missing a few last hits or Blink Dagger on Anti-Mage? There's a big difference between those.

I think you'll get people being assholes or playing badly or flaming or throwing or not knowing how to play a hero on all levels.
I mean I had a game the other day with someone at 4k rating who didn't know how to build and play as a drow.

I don't think there is an end to this trench. (It'll ofcourse get less bad the higher you get) but watching some of the streams from higher level guys (or pro's) convinces me this shit happens on all levels.

I dunno, watching Sing play at 6550 MMR solo queue sorta dispelled any notions I had of high-MMR dota.

I think one time he was stacked with Dendi and someone on their team still bitched the whole game on all chat about something or another

F!ReW!Re

I honestly think he's just one of those heroes with one or two ideal builds (similar to AM).

Drums --> Deso ---> Crit or mass BFs are simply the most effective builds because of sleight of fist. The former is the more unselfish team oriented build, the latter is a more selfish higher damage build, and it's so so satisfying if you ever hit the double bfury + crit point of the game... oh man, one or two shotting entire teams regardless of their farm.

I forgot to mention aside from ember being one of the most fun heroes in the game, he's also got the coolest model and animations IMO. Really well designed hero from all aspects.

Ohh heck yeah it's definitely fun watching a whole team drop with 1 or two sleight of fists, but I think I can compare it to AM even more as it's AM levels of farm needed to get that to work and he'll have the same problems as AM has.
I actually wanna try out that Vlads on him though, hadn't even occured to me to get some lifesteal.

Fun times ahead!
(yeah his modelling and voice acting is great! Running the 3 virtues set on him + the salakot hat and he looks damn awesome!)

I'm more interested in seeing the teams people build around him (Magnus, DS?) and where they lane him (mid or safe). He can be a really strong mid against certain heroes with maxxed flameguard + chains. There's been an eternal endless debate on playdota about flame guard vs SoF max, seems both are good depending on the situation and it probably comes down to personal preference in the end (I'm leaning more towards max flameguard, 109 prefers max sleight).

I'm leaning more towards flame guard since it provides magic damage immunity (up to a certain amount) and does a shit ton of damage (got a nice amount of kills due to it).
So what's 109's reason to max SoF first? Is it to constantly harass? To be useful earlier in team fights (???).
Because it doesn't really help with farming early on since the damage on creeps is less than on heroes..

Hylian7

I think you'll get people being assholes or playing badly or flaming or throwing or not knowing how to play a hero on all levels.
I mean I had a game the other day with someone at 4k rating who didn't know how to build and play as a drow.

I don't think there is an end to this trench. (It'll ofcourse get less bad the higher you get) but watching some of the streams from higher level guys (or pro's) convinces me this shit happens on all levels.

I dunno, watching Sing play at 6550 MMR solo queue sorta dispelled any notions I had of high-MMR dota.

I think one time he was stacked with Dendi and someone on their team still bitched the whole game on all chat about something or another

It's still probably better than where I'm at. And regardless, I want to improve my MMR. These streaks aren't doing that and the only way to improve it is to keep trying.

Karakand

And again, I lost mid because 3 of their team spent 8 minutes sitting on me until they got the tower delaying my BoTs (Tinker) to 12 minutes-ish. It took til the third time they killed me for my team to put up wards and help me out.

Shiva's Guarding nothing, not buying a flying courier for 15 minutes, I don't casually describe play as bad Hylian. It's my life.

ElyrionX

It's still probably better than where I'm at. And regardless, I want to improve my MMR. These streaks aren't doing that and the only way to improve it is to keep trying.

I feel you, bro.

After calibration, I was 3.1k and many games later, I'm still at 3.1k. Lol. I have come to recognise the fact that the MM system is fair in most cases though and that my MMR is probably a true reflection of my skill.

I'm playing in SEA though so that 3.1k probably means a lot more than the 4k or 5k that you North American copper scums are throwing around in here.

I think SoF is an underrated early game nuke. Most magical nukes top out at around 225 damage after reductions and against low armour targets early game SoF is not much less than that if you have say only phase boots and an OoV. But then you look at it's other properties, it has long range, instant cast, huge aoe, 6 second cd and 50 mana cost. You can also use it to combo with chains which are also really damaging and have 8 second cd. He has really ridiculous chasing ability when both are maxed.

Flameguard dps is also a bit underwhelming, you only get an extra 10 per level after level 1 which doesn't seem that great. The damage block is nice but that's not an obvious thing to prioritise if you're running him as a ganker. It's maybe better on safelane ember since he can use defensively and also use it to clear stacks.

I'm also pretty sure battlefury will be standard on him eventually. I think it's suffered from inflated expectations, there was all those wc3 dota gifs of xin one shotting teams and obviously that doesn't really happen unless you have 3 BFs and a rapier. But that doesn't mean it doesn't give better damage in SoF than other items for the same price though. A deso will be around 20% better on isolated targets but you only really need to catch someone with one hero cleave before battlefury catches up and getting that one hero cleave is pretty common in teamfights.

You're going to feel like that no matter what MMR level you're at, though, and it's probably worse at higher MMR because of how the matchmaking works. There's a good amount of variance for players in terms of MMR in every game, which increases at the higher and lower ends because of the distribution of players, there's also a lot of variance in skill for every player with the same MMR, and of course a massive variance in performance across multiple games for every player. If you've ever tried to play DOTA at a bad hour (6AM on a weekday or something) you'll notice how much worse all the games are because the smaller player pool means more skill variance in matches. It's the same thing as ELO hell, where the ideal isn't necessarily to play in a higher skill bracket, but to play in games where nobody underperforms according to your expectations, which is never going to happen consistently.

Watching Sing or Dendi play solo queue is just painful sometimes, because they'll always be the highest-MMR player in the game, so chances are they'll be paired up with a team of players 1000 MMR below them versus a team of players 500 MMR below. So they'll either single-handedly carry a team full of retards (relatively) to victory or lose against overwhelming odds because they couldn't win a 1v5, and that's exactly what most players in "the trench" feel.

F!ReW!Re

I think SoF is an underrated early game nuke. Most magical nukes top out at around 225 damage after reductions and against low armour targets early game SoF is not much less than that if you have say only phase boots and an OoV. But then you look at it's other properties, it has long range, instant cast, huge aoe, 6 second cd and 50 mana cost. You can also use it to combo with chains which are also really damaging and have 8 second cd. He has really ridiculous chasing ability when both are maxed.

Flameguard dps is also a bit underwhelming, you only get an extra 10 per level after level 1 which doesn't seem that great. The damage block is nice but that's not an obvious thing to prioritise if you're running him as a ganker. It's maybe better on safelane ember since he can use defensively and also use it to clear stacks.

I'm also pretty sure battlefury will be standard on him eventually. I think it's suffered from inflated expectations, there was all those wc3 dota gifs of xin one shotting teams and obviously that doesn't really happen unless you have 3 BFs and a rapier. But that doesn't mean it doesn't give better damage in SoF than other items for the same price though. A deso will be around 20% better on isolated targets but you only really need to catch someone with one hero cleave before battlefury catches up and getting that one hero cleave is pretty common in teamfights.

SoF;
Bonus damage to heroes: 30/60/90/120
Radius: 250/350/450/550
Cast Range: 700

Flame Guard;
Radius: 400
Damage per second: 30/40/50/60
Damage absorbed: 50/200/350/500
Duration: 8/12/16/20

I don't get your 225 damage reasoning here tbh.
Sure it's a huge aoe, 6 sec cd and 50 mana cost, but early game it doesn't provide you as much as FG, especially when you go for a gank.

The scale on flame guard though;
from 50 damage blocked at level 1 to 200!!! at level 2 and to 500!!!!!!!! at level 5.
Not to mention at level 3 the damage is equal to a radiance...
Although I will give you that the mana cost is high on FG;
80/90/100/110

I don't get your 225 damage reasoning here tbh.
80/90/100/110

225 is just what a "typical" nuke does in dota, I'm saying SoF is not much worse than this average even without items against low armour targets, and makes up for it's low damage in any case with it's other properties as well as the utility of being able to land chains from SoF range much more often.

F!ReW!Re

225 is just what a "typical" nuke does in dota, I'm saying SoF is not much worse than this average even without items against low armour targets, and makes up for it's low damage in any case with it's other properties as well as the utility of being able to land chains from SoF range much more often.

True, that utility to chain people while in SoF does benefit from having the bigger AoE...

Nirvana

Even watching Dendi and Sing's streams you will see this happen. If it happens at 6k mmr then it's simply a feature of the community.

You either get positive people or negative ones in my experience, but as long as you try to win the game and rally the team, you are doing the most you can.

I've also found that not shitting on the guy already getting shat on is a good way to rally a team. The veno who's 0-8, buy that sucker some wards and give him a pat on the back while the other guy flames him and you can at least guarantee that one person on the team will try and listen to you when you want to smoke gank or do roshan.

F!ReW!Re

Ahh this was what you were talking about earlier Anbokr;
Ember Spirit’s first month was relatively quiet compared to Earth Spirit, but the level of pub play on Ember has improved significantly since his release. This improvement is almost entirely confined to Very High play, but it’s there. I attribute it to better mechanics combined with a more realistic evaluation of his carry potential, or lack thereof. He appears to be a reasonably competent momentum ganker, but it remains to be seen if he’ll have some special niche that keeps him from getting overshadowed by other similar heroes, like, say, Storm Spirit.

From http://http://dotametrics.wordpress.com/

And an earlier article from November 2013;
http://dotametrics.wordpress.com/2013/11/27/skill-build-analysis-ember-spirit/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom