• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the shrek looking alch doesn't look awkward?

The Shrek Alch is one of the more minor issues this particular background has (it not working for widescreen).

Also they made him cover up CM's exposed belly, probably trying to stay closer to official designs.

I wonder if he'll go and remake old Dota loading screens to feature Dota 2's hero designs.

kagete

The Shrek Alch is one of the more minor issues this particular background has (it not working for widescreen).

Also they made him cover up CM's exposed belly, probably trying to stay closer to official designs.

I wonder if he'll go and remake old Dota loading screens to feature Dota 2's hero designs.

OG kunkka/wc3 dota art always gave me the feels. I was probably playing on an old Pentium 4 or Athlon around this time and the loading screens always took FOREVER

655-by-kunkka.jpg

I've been playing like garbage (well moreso) lately. Last night I dropped four straight games before finally breaking through and winning a very unsatisfying match (opposing mid dove too hard which apparently pissed off their CM -> CM rage dc's/everyone except for their doom follows-> 20 min of humoring the opposing Doom as it was 1 v 5 and he didn't want to quit out). Anyways, I was playing mid storm and two things seem to be a common theme

1)I'm a terrible laner- I really wish there were resources that allow me to improve this aspect of my game. It's not just last hitting but positioning in general. I really need to practice the first 10 min of a game against real opponents.

2)Failed ganks- Either we'd catch the team but they'd get away with a sliver of health (common theme of the week-dude goes down to like 10 health right as his back up arrives and I get stunlocked ) or they'd see my ganks incoming/ back off and counter gank the same lane I came to gank immediately after I return to mid. This would then result in me pressing later on during mid game and engaging into stupid fights because I feel pressured to make a play.

I wish there was a mode specifically designed to practice early game against real opponents as I feel like I'm constantly playing at a disadvantage due to my impotent early game. In the games that I win and I'm playing something farm dependent, I'm pretty much concede laning phase (unless I'm hard carry and my support gives me adequate space to free farm) and only do well A)given space to flash farm mid game or B)the opposing team feeds allowing me to catch up.

Things I notice based on stats as mid
I rarely score a kill mid 1 v 1- a lot of times I get harassed hard out of lane
A good mid CS for me is 30 @ 10 min where as a bad one is roughly 12
In general, my hero damage stats are low. I'm usually either 3rd or 4th overall in hero damage. I know that this can be a biproduct of the hero as well but I seem average in the mid 10K's in damage when I play a well scaling hero whereas my friends seem to regularly do more damage than I do. I'm not sure how to properly utilize this data but if I'm not dealing enough damage to opposing heroes as a ganker/carry, then I'm not playing efficiently enough.

I feel like there's something in this game that I'm not getting that would improve my play significantly (well I guess hope is more appropriate). Basically I'm tempted to look for real professional coaching at this point.

manfestival

Man late night Dota sucks for me, since I generally always get queued up with Russians.

I get peru. Don't get me wrong, I can communicate with them but its usually insufferable insulting talk. Also, there is lots more frustration with them it seems than the usual american. I miss my serbian buddies from league of legends. They were all funny, taught me serbian (I was the only american on the group) and they were all good players (mostly diamond and platinum players).

I've been playing like garbage (well moreso) lately. Last night I dropped four straight games before finally breaking through and winning a very unsatisfying match (opposing mid dove too hard which apparently pissed off their CM -> CM rage dc's/everyone except for their doom follows-> 20 min of humoring the opposing Doom as it was 1 v 5 and he didn't want to quit out). Anyways, I was playing mid storm and two things seem to be a common theme

1)I'm a terrible laner- I really wish there were resources that allow me to improve this aspect of my game. It's not just last hitting but positioning in general. I really need to practice the first 10 min of a game against real opponents.
I would say work on your awareness and knowledge of what everyone is capable of. Look at their items and then apply that to your laning phase.

Razzer

2)Failed ganks- Either we'd catch the team but they'd get away with a sliver of health (common theme of the week-dude goes down to like 10 health right as his back up arrives and I get stunlocked ) or they'd see my ganks incoming/ back off and counter gank the same lane I came to gank immediately after I return to mid. This would then result in me pressing later on during mid game and engaging into stupid fights because I feel pressured to make a play.

I wish there was a mode specifically designed to practice early game against real opponents as I feel like I'm constantly playing at a disadvantage due to my impotent early game. In the games that I win and I'm playing something farm dependent, I'm pretty much concede laning phase (unless I'm hard carry and my support gives me adequate space to free farm) and only do well A)given space to flash farm mid game or B)the opposing team feeds allowing me to catch up.

Things I notice based on stats as mid
I rarely score a kill mid 1 v 1- a lot of times I get harassed hard out of lane
A good mid CS for me is 30 @ 10 min where as a bad one is roughly 12
In general, my hero damage stats are low. I'm usually either 3rd or 4th overall in hero damage. I know that this is a biproduct of the hero as well but I seem average in the mid 10K's in damage when I play a well scaling hero whereas my friends seem to regularly do more damage than I do. I'm not sure how to properly utilize this data but if I'm not dealing enough damage to opposing heroes as a ganker/carry, then I'm not playing efficiently enough.

I feel like there's something in this game that I'm not getting that would improve my play significantly (well I guess hope is more appropriate). Basically I'm tempted to look for real professional coaching at this point.

Is this talking specifically about the mid-lane? And what heroes are you most comfortable with? Some heroes require more specific tips to get the most out of them in lane.

Aiustis

Just moved into my new place and set up my computer; I'm interested in trying this game, but I'm not sure I quite understand it. If I just jump in will it fall into place?

Is this talking specifically about the mid-lane? And what heroes are you most comfortable with? Some heroes require more specific tips to get the most out of them in lane.

A lot of it is midlane but in general I'm a poor laner. Give me a free lane as a carry and I'm good (which you know applies to 99% of the community) but harass me and either I feed (mainly due to again pressing because I feel the pressure of losing ground) or I go into full on passive defense mode. The only two heroes I've been playing mid lately are Invoker and storm spirit.

My Dotabuff in case you're curious.

Razzer

A lot of it is midlane but in general I'm a poor laner. Give me a free lane as a carry and I'm good (which you know applies to 99% of the community) but harass me and either I feed (mainly due to again pressing because I feel the pressure of losing ground) or I go into full on passive defense mode. The only two heroes I've been playing mid lately are Invoker and storm spirit.

I'll look at a couple of SS games (I don't play invoker). If I spot anything I think is worth mentioning I will.

Elder Titan, Lifestealer, Puck, Treant, and Vengeful Spirit are ready for Cosmetics now, all we have to do is wait for Valve to put the base models up (Actually, people don't even have to wait, its just best practice and all).

Vengeful Spirit lost a bunch of items slots, but her remaining slots now have pretty large texture and ploy budgets now.

obligatory whar da fuck is troll warlord post.

Dude Abides

Banned
Just moved into my new place and set up my computer; I'm interested in trying this game, but I'm not sure I quite understand it. If I just jump in will it fall into place?

Not really. It's pretty opaque and there is a lot of detail and a lot of unintuitive and non-obvious aspects to it. I recommend playing the tutorial, reading some guides and watching some videos first.

http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck

http://www.youtube.com/show/learndota2

I was thinking more where Timbersaw is. Troll might be remade at some point since he's always looked a little odd. But Timbersaw seems perfect for hats. He is popular and would make for some unique cosmetics. Troll would just get Beastmaster hand me downs.

Yeah probably, people were upset when he came out that he didn't look like a wc3 troll. I wouldn't mind them rewriting his lore either to be less satirical. Plus cyan/red is a pretty unappealing color scheme.

manfestival

ah you like playing with the higher risk higher reward heroes and harder to learn ones. I got nothing :(

I just started this game (my first moba experience) a couple of nights ago and holy crap this game is difficult, but sooo addicting. Me and some friends are playing and we basically run around with our heads cut off because we have no idea what we're doing. Like one of my friends was playing support and he was taking my last hits, which someone told me he was supposed to let me have them and he was basically supposed to harass the other players? Idk, and we ended up getting raped, I went like 1-14, it was bad. :p

Can I get some tips? Or someone to play with me a little and teach me? I need someone to show me the ropes so I can be GOAT.

Razzer

So I just watched this game, and there a couple of things I thought were worth pointing out.

For Storm Spirit specifically:

- Make sure you use every overload charge, unless it's basically impossible or would waste time that you need to do something clutch. You sometimes would remnant for a last hit, then remnant for the next one too, without using your charge. It's a waste and an be used to harass if not or csing.

- Don't remnant unnecessarily. There was a few times where you remnanted as a wave approached you, only getting the first creep as it came into range. This wastes mana on SS, which you need to manage with care. Also, try to always do the zip-hit-vortex-hit-remnant-hit combo when you go on people. It's just practice till your fingers can do it without slip ups quickly. And try to position them so they will hit heroes when ganking early on. Put them in their path rather than behind them.

- Mana management in general come mid game. You don't have to zip in from a huge distance, and trying to spend as little mana as possible in each jump will increase your dps by a lot from the overload charges. Sometimes you even zipped in, only to regret that and zip out again, then realize the fight was now going full on and zipping back in, only to realize you had hardly any mana left. Efficiency and decisiveness is the name of the game.

In general:

- The big thing I noticed was camera control. In the game I watched you were radiant, but when in lane your hero was in the top right hand side of the screen almost always, with the invoker you were against virtually off screen. About a third of the screen was empty space, which is again, a waste. Being able to see everything more clearly is very useful. Better players could probably explain that better but whatever. In fights all the action would be in a corner. I had it in player perspective and I could hardly tell what was happening half the time, which means you probably couldn't that well either. Just a matter of keeping a cool head I reckon there.

- In lane you could stand to harass a little more. You can't expect to get kills against your opposite number if he's full health most of the time. Punish passiveness, particularly on aggressive heroes.

- One trick a lot of good players do that I myself am just learning to do is click on the hero to draw aggro and get the enemy creeps onto your range creep, or just closer to you in general. This is particularly useful when they are just uphill, as it takes away uphill miss chance, so you can last hit more reliably. There are more fancy things you can do with this but I can't even do them myself so I won't try to explain.

- Last hitting, as is always the case can be improved. Doesn't really need to be said, just keep practising and it will improve. This is true for everyone.

I think that's all my thoughts for now, hope it helps. I realize that you may know some of these things already, I know I don't put a lot of my 'knowledge' into practice because it's different when you are actually in a game. But some of it may be useful.

Edit: Oh, and going bkb and linken's in that game was overkill. They only had dragon tail and burrowstrike that broke linken's, which you should have activated bkb by the time they were in range of you. Could have spent that money on a hex for either DK or SF or a bloodstone for dps/regen/tankiness.

inkls

I just started this game (my first moba experience) a couple of nights ago and holy crap this game is difficult, but sooo addicting. Me and some friends are playing and we basically run around with our heads cut off because we have no idea what we're doing. Like one of my friends was playing support and he was taking my last hits, which someone told me he was supposed to let me have them and he was basically supposed to harass the other players? Idk, and we ended up getting raped, I went like 1-14, it was bad. :p

Can I get some tips? Or someone to play with me a little and teach me? I need someone to show me the ropes so I can be GOAT.

In what region do you play? Whats your steam id

Add me on steam ( http://steamcommunity.com/id/hasmedaoa ) and I can play a few bot matches with you and walk you through some stuff if you want.

Edit: Or I could refresh the page I guess.

ah you like playing with the higher risk higher reward heroes and harder to learn ones. I got nothing :(

I won't touch Meepo with a 10 foot pole..

So I just watched this game, and there a couple of things I thought were worth pointing out.

For Storm Spirit specifically:

- Make sure you use every overload charge, unless it's basically impossible or would waste time that you need to do something clutch. You sometimes would remnant for a last hit, then remnant for the next one too, without using your charge. It's a waste and an be used to harass if not or csing.

- Don't remnant unnecessarily. There was a few times where you remnanted as a wave approached you, only getting the first creep as it came into range. This wastes mana on SS, which you need to manage with care. Also, try to always do the zip-hit-vortex-hit-remnant-hit combo when you go on people. It's just practice till your fingers can do it without slip ups quickly. And try to position them so they will hit heroes when ganking early on. Put them in their path rather than behind them.

- Mana management in general come mid game. You don't have to zip in from a huge distance, and trying to spend as little mana as possible in each jump will increase your dps by a lot from the overload charges. Sometimes you even zipped in, only to regret that and zip out again, then realize the fight was now going full on and zipping back in, only to realize you had hardly any mana left. Efficiency and decisiveness is the name of the game.

In general:

- The big thing I noticed was camera control. In the game I watched you were radiant, but when in lane your hero was in the top right hand side of the screen almost always, with the invoker you were against virtually off screen. About a third of the screen was empty space, which is again, a waste. Being able to see everything more clearly is very useful. Better players could probably explain that better but whatever. In fights all the action would be in a corner. I had it in player perspective and I could hardly tell what was happening half the time, which means you probably couldn't that well either. Just a matter of keeping a cool head I reckon there.

- In lane you could stand to harass a little more. You can't expect to get kills against your opposite number if he's full health most of the time. Punish passiveness, particularly on aggressive heroes.

- One trick a lot of good players do that I myself am just learning to do is click on the hero to draw aggro and get the enemy creeps onto your range creep, or just closer to you in general. This is particularly useful when they are just uphill, as it takes away uphill miss chance, so you can last hit more reliably. There are more fancy things you can do with this but I can't even do them myself so I won't try to explain.

- Last hitting, as is always the case can be improved. Doesn't really need to be said, just keep practising and it will improve. This is true for everyone.

I think that's all my thoughts for now, hope it helps. I realize that you may know some of these things already, I know I don't put a lot of my 'knowledge' into practice because it's different when you are actually in a game. But some of it may be useful.

Edit: Oh, and going bkb and linken's in that game was overkill. They only had dragon tail and burrowstrike that broke linken's, which you should have activated bkb by the time they were in range of you. Could have spent that money on a hex for either DK or SF or a bloodstone for dps/regen/tankiness.

Thanks! That game was a classic case of my score not telling the story. It looks respectable in the end but I shat the bed for most of the game. I never really put much thought into my camera control so I appreciate you pointing that out. I'm not sure how I should go about addressing that though. One thing I will admit is that there are times when I completely lose track of my character in a team fight. I think there was even one time where I thought I had died early on in a team fight but in actuality I was looking at the wrong hero and my character was standing there not doing much.

-I went linkens and BKB because I kept getting chain stunned early on(in hindsight a sheepstick obviously should've been the better choice). It was an overreaction to a mistakes earlier made by me.

In regards to zipping in huge distances, I felt pressure to jump into the team fight quickly. I should just make a concerted effort to not engage if it requires me jumping that far next time around.

pompidu

one tip is to try to play all hero's once to understand their skills. you want to know what your opponent is capable if.

Ok, I love Dota again. On like a 10 game upswing thanks to NAtures prophet. I watched all of Bulldogs TI3 games and applied some of what I saw.. and it's made a huge difference. Not constantly pushing the lanes and stealing all the farm from my team is a huge one...

And in Pubs everyone is always out of position so it's easy to find spots to push and take towers / rax

manfestival

༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽YOU CAME TO THE WRONG DONGERHOOD༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Just when I start to think that maybe All Pick is a mode worth playing again the enemy team waits until the very last second and then grabs Void, CM, Naga and Tide

Fuck this mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom