• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the time runs out on picking your hero, didn't it just random your hero in DotA? Why doesn't it do that in Dota 2? That is one of the most annoying aspects about AP, one of the reasons I don't really play the mode anymore. Unless I'm really jonesing to play a specific hero that RNG gods have denied me.

No, I don't think so. I would like to see that as well though. It's annoying to wait for people to pick their heroes for like 2 minutes.

ElyrionX

I agree that the game should force a random pick if you don't pick before the AP counter runs out. I'm one of those guilty of picking late as well but I'm not doing it to counter-pick as much as I am doing it because I want to make sure my team has a balanced lineup. If the other people on my team have not made up their minds yet, I don't want to risk not having a proper support or carry hero in the team.

Speaking of weird Void items people see on solo queue, this void on my team went MoM -> Butterfly. Is that even within the realm of viable?

He went 1-7 even though our team was absolutely stomping, but he did repick Void in an all-random game, so I don't know.

Nymerio

I knew this game was going to be bad when I saw that Doom and Storm went to lane together. But nothing prepared me for them both being 0/5/0 at about 5:00. When even the hard support Wisp has more GPM than the Storm something went wrong at some fundamental level :(

Okay so which is rarer, as I'm looking to sell the least rare of the two:

Neptunian Sabre
Inscribed Tsunami Blade

I think I prefer the Sabre, so I might sell the inscribed...

Kard8p3

Yay I feel better now, ended up going carry chen without trying and had a sub 30 minute game. I can go to bed without being on a tilt; even had a player say "gg commend chen our captain" :'D.

Nokterian

It's my birthday today and tonight going to stream some matches! Would be cool if some gaffers would team up with me to play a few.

Sibylus

Banned
http://dotabuff.com/matches/456017295

A 67 minute game we should have by all rights lost, and yet...

Farmed supports and saving for buyback wins games. Two melee rax gone and we didn't lose sight of the prize, we just kept the wards out, kept our heads, and kept grinding out teamfight victory after teamfight victory.

My Dota 2 wall scrolls arrived, they look really good person. Unfortunately they only sell a Phantom Lancer version and a Bounty Hunter version. Both are based off the trading card artwork.

http://www.game-legends.de/Nach-Marke-Hersteller/DotA/

j0tz6wk7z1zen.PNG

ViviOggi

http://dotabuff.com/matches/456102041 (for clarification, Kunkka played support but was decent)

How do I get matched with this. No, seriously. That DK put his first level in stun on level 7. Balanar, who we first blooded and let nowhere near the farm, went godlike by just walking around and killing DK (and I guess BH judging by his deaths). Every single rax has been lost for no reason but three of my team mates thinking it would be a good idea to fight miles away from base despite me constantly explaining why the only way for us to come back was to fight on our base's high ground.

50% here I come
sry for rant

http://dotabuff.com/matches/456017295

A 67 minute game we should have by all rights lost, and yet...

Farmed supports and saving for buyback wins games. Two melee rax gone and we didn't lose sight of the prize, we just kept the wards out, kept our heads, and kept grinding out teamfight victory after teamfight victory.

I wish my team would have realized this. Played correctly these matches can get incredibly tense.

ElyrionX

So, better than the other races and not making the game stagnant? Ye.
Hylian has double my ES games anyway, go after him.

I took a break to play some AR and get back to facing the fact that I'm only good with like 5 heroes.

I can probably play every hero (except for micro intensive ones) and be somewhat decent at them. But recently, I decided it was pointless trying to have a very large hero pool and being mediocre at most of them. So I narrowed my pool down to 11 heroes to focus on exclusively and it's been working out great.

Though I am having two issues right now. One, my mid heroes are Invoker and Puck and two intel heroes to choose for mid does limit my options somewhat when the rest of my team is intel-heavy and no one took a mid hero.

Two, my support heroes are CM and VS but CM is, by far, my best overall hero (71% win-rate across 59 matches) and I'm struggling to find another support that I can play just as well. I tried Lich, Windranger, Rubick and Dark Seer but none of those worked out too well and I'm not a fan of the other top-tier supports. I'm still trying out to see if VS would fit my playstyle.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Two, my support heroes are CM and VS but CM is, by far, my best overall hero (71% win-rate across 59 matches) and I'm struggling to find another support that I can play just as well. I tried Lich, Windranger, Rubick and Dark Seer but none of those worked out too well and I'm not a fan of the other top-tier supports. I'm still trying out to see if VS would fit my playstyle.

Shadow Shaman

Do it

Razzer

I can probably play every hero (except for micro intensive ones) and be somewhat decent at them. But recently, I decided it was pointless trying to have a very large hero pool and being mediocre at most of them. So I narrowed my pool down to 11 heroes to focus on exclusively and it's been working out great.

Though I am having two issues right now. One, my mid heroes are Invoker and Puck and two intel heroes to choose for mid does limit my options somewhat when the rest of my team is intel-heavy and no one took a mid hero.

For the mid hero thing pick a strength hero to play. Magnus, Nightstalker etc. Get a stout against ranged and you should be fine. They scale better than a puck too (invoker already does but eh). Others already pointed out good supports but I'd also add Sand King.

Had a match as windrunner with drow as my lane partner last night. Figured it would be hell for the other team but they would have at least one range character to harrass us with. Instead the opposing players were Phantom Assasin and Clockwerk who couldn't even get near the creeps. To make it worse for them the PA wasn't using the knife throws for last hitting the creeps. I have no idea why he thought bartering us with it would help his farm.

Also lucked out in a single draft and had the most tower pushing team I ever played on. Naga, brood, invoker, death prophet and warlock. When we were together towers didn't last long at all.

Quesa

been practicing earth spirit vs bots cuz I'm a pansy but right now I'm having trouble getting the boulder smash after roll to go the right direction. Most times I seem to push an enemy about 45 degrees off where I approached, and sometimes I push them in the direction they're going in. Can you queue up smash after roll to smash immediately? I'm thinking I move after roll and that's why it's screwing up.

The Technomancer

Disregard this guy and try out Bane, Lion, WD (with 1 early point in healing, fuck maledict)

i believe ss is way better as a solo mid hero

Shaman is a really underrated mid IMO, but he's also a great lane support if you have a carry that has early burst damage.

Shaman is a really underrated mid IMO, but he's also a great lane support if you have a carry that has early burst damage.

I love being chased by a hero with Shaman and turning the tide and killing him (1vs1) when you had no business doing so. Hex, Vipers then lock them into places and they are done. It's may seem like a waste of vipers but it's a great escape if they have speed and hexing them isn't enough to get away.

ElyrionX

Shadow Shaman

Do it

Hmmm, not sure why this never crossed my mind. But probably worth a thought. Any idea why he is not used much in the pro scene?

Disregard this guy and try out Bane, Lion, WD (with 1 early point in healing, fuck maledict)

i believe ss is way better as a solo mid hero

Bane and Lion are maybes for me.

WD is probably out. He just has too little utility (situational stun and mana-intensive heal) in team fights.

I really like SS. But I tried him out and he's really hard to use well. Needs very quick reflexes and very good judgment.

For the mid hero thing pick a strength hero to play. Magnus, Nightstalker etc. Get a stout against ranged and you should be fine. They scale better than a puck too (invoker already does but eh). Others already pointed out good supports but I'd also add Sand King.

Hmmmm, I never really considered Nightstalker before. Maybe I'll give him a shot.

Actually, in a typical pub laning strategy of 2-1-2. Would Timbersaw work well in mid if my team has no other mid heroes?

Razzer

Hmmm, not sure why this never crossed my mind. But probably worth a thought. Any idea why he is not used much in the pro scene?

WD is probably out. He just has too little utility (situational stun and mana-intensive heal) in team fights.

I really like SS. But I tried him out and he's really hard to use well. Needs very quick reflexes and very good judgment.

Hmmmm, I never really considered Nightstalker before. Maybe I'll give him a shot.

Actually, in a typical pub laning strategy of 2-1-2. Would Timbersaw work well in mid if my team has no other mid heroes?

Timber is great if they are melee and you have other stuns on the team.

The Technomancer

SS is probably my favorite hero in the game. I'm not sure why he doesn't get more pro-play, he's mana intensive in the early game if I had to wager a guess. But Serpent Wards are just one of the most versatile spells in the game: you can use them to disrupt teamfights, push towers, or get solo-kills

ElyrionX

Speaking of weird Void items people see on solo queue, this void on my team went MoM -> Butterfly. Is that even within the realm of viable?

He went 1-7 even though our team was absolutely stomping, but he did repick Void in an all-random game, so I don't know.

Uhhh MoM Butterfly Void is very legit. MoM is not exactly advisable but it does synergise well with his ult. Butterfly's evasion stacks with backtrack and the attack speed boost gives him more bash procs.

ElyrionX

SS is probably my favorite hero in the game. I'm not sure why he doesn't get more pro-play, he's mana intensive in the early game if I had to wager a guess. But Serpent Wards are just one of the most versatile spells in the game: you can use them to disrupt teamfights, push towers, or get solo-kills

Wait, I thought we were talking about Storm Spirit. At least that's what I meant in my reply lol

I've been playing too much Wraith Night. When I see an Ogre or a Mud Golem in the jungle I expect them to behave like their WN counterparts.

Pratfall

Had a series of very rough matches playing hard support (some of it my fault, some of it others), needed a pallet cleanser, chose Jugg and destroyed. Went phase, yasha, aghanims. Love Clinks coming out of invis to gank me and just omnislashing him. Also the Alchemist played VS on my team the last game and just complained about everyone else the whole time, nice to make his next game awful as well.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/456453560

F#A#Oo

Banned
Have you tried mid Rhasta yet?

No...when I proposed it once others laughed.

Side lane as ward whore is how I play him.

Interestingly enough I tried out Crystal Maiden for the first time (been playing Dota 2 since 2012) and I can't believe I've been ignoring her. She's really good...apart from being really slow and depressingly squishy I immediately felt at home with her skills. She's made me re-think whether Shadow Shaman or Shadow Demon should be my go to support picks.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I imagine tomorrow, once the servers for Wraith Night and the Winter Map are taken down, some disabled features will probably come back.

I'm don't think they are going to remove the winter map until the next event, or at least until the Frostivus Chest expires in anther week. Hope we get anther themed map that is ether spring or festive themed.

Razzer

No...when I proposed it once others laughed.

Side lane as ward whore is how I play him.

Interestingly enough I tried out Crystal Maiden for the first time (been playing Dota 2 since 2012) and I can't believe I've been ignoring her. She's really good...apart from being really slow and depressingly squishy I immediately felt at home with her skills. She's made me re-think whether Shadow Shaman or Shadow Demon should be my go to support picks.

She is the best pub support in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom