• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian7

I made the mistake of playing early games today and ended up on shit teams. At least my team won the game I played tonight to cleanse the pallet some what.
When you get shit teams, and are on a losing streak, there's only one answer:

Earth_Spirit.png

It's time to find you a good spot and set your stones.

BigAT

It has to take the wr into account of the sides and factor it in with your mmr or something. There is like a .00000006 percent chance of that happening if it's random.

Yeah, there has to be something going on. The probability is way too crazy for it to just be a coincidence.

Hylian7

No, not in any sort of normal game.

Anywhere between 30 and 50 minutes. It can be shorter or longer but most games people play are around that length I'd say.

Yes for heroes. The game tracks all of that I guess for creeps as well but it doesn't surface it really. Do you mean how many kills all the creeps have gotten or how many creeps have died? I guess it's neither for those.
Maybe he is referring to last hit and deny count? You can see this in the lower right corner next to LH/D. The numbers to the right of that are your successful last hits and denies respectively.

You can't check other players LH/D during a game you are playing, but you see it at the end.

kasane

So is there any special way that Radiant/Dire is determined in matchmaking? Because I just noticed that my last TWENTY FOUR games in a row have been on Dire when I queue with a group of 5. How is that even possible?

You're destined to be the next demon king.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
skywrath has actually become one of my favourite dual lane supports, his harass is ridiculous.

Yeah I really enjoy playing him as support then transitioning to a semi carry during mid game for the deeps burst if I don't feed early... I haven't played it in a while actually as I'm really loving my WR and ET supports atm.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
He's the bioball of vanilla SC2.

Sonofabitch.
So, better than the other races and not making the game stagnant? Ye.
Hylian has double my ES games anyway, go after him.

I took a break to play some AR and get back to facing the fact that I'm only good with like 5 heroes.

qcoFeCI.png

manfestival

I caught wraith night fever but I think mostly cause of double fragments weekend. I can't stop farming those stupid things. NEED MORE FRAGMENTS! It is pretty nice to get an item every wraithnight game
or just wait for one to pop up

I bought favor, farmed up an ossuary and turned a profit. Legit

Played my first Meepo in AR. My practice in bot matches paid off initially, I was doing well-ish despite a very derpy and angry team. There was no space or time to farm even though we had a Tinker and a Spirit Breaker. I fought my "support" Panda for LH in safelane and then couldn't jungle because the other team kept pushing and we had no wards. I think I was 2-2-2, halfway to an Aghs (point booster and ogre club) with treads and a basi before things fell apart and we just got rofflestomped.

It didn't help that Tinker built treads instead of BoT and didn't ever split push, or that the only spirit Breaker broke was ours by taking the absolute worst dives. And our Russian Elder Titan was more in love with swearing at us and calling us noobs than actually supporting and doing things like buying wards. His drawing skills, however, could into be called into question. Many interesting things were drawn on the mini-map.

I also couldn't handle being focused on by Lion, Disruptor and Clockwerk. AoE Silence, being trapped in kentic field, getting fingered, stunned, frogged and cogged. It was brutal. Also not the line-up I would've chosen to try my Meepo out against. I've got three hotkeys for my Meepos, one for main, one for clones and the rest for all but it doesn't feel like it's enough.

I guess it was nice that me playing Meepo wasn't THE reason we lost. Just A reason.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It's rare I can criticize everything about every choice by every player on my team, but it happened.
Fucking SD solo queue I'm done.

It's one thing to play dota, another to waste 15 minutes for a team to end it. There's been very few where I'm not positive and I just had two of those terrible games.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
23-1, fountain camping, fuckingstupid lanes, 20minute game, and a wisp who took people into their fountain to feed.

Forced 50 is real when your Wisp is solo safe lane.

kasane

23-1, fountain camping, fuckingstupid lanes, 20minute game, and a wisp who took people into their fountain to feed.

Forced 50 is real when people can't pick lanes properly. Solo Wisp safe lane seems legit.

Is this ranked? Thank god i dont encounter this type of players

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is this ranked? Thank god i dont encounter this type of players
I'm not going to play ranked unless it's with one of the heroes I can play since everyone is super serious mode.

Just wanted to play different heroes again. Also I'm pretty sure DK vs Silencer is a 0-100 matchup.

Haunted

Not that I'm playing AP, but watching PFlax's stream I noticed people that still haven't picked their heroes when the time is up and there's a pause before the game even starts in pretty much every other match.

Why not just make people random if they haven't picked by 0:00 like in the other modes?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Even if my entire team was Earth Spirits I think I still would have lost all 3 of my games.

Time to solo queue Russia AR
Not that I'm playing AP, but watching PFlax's stream I noticed people that still haven't picked their heroes when the time is up and there's a pause before the game even starts in pretty much every other game.

Why not just make people random if they haven't picked by 0:00 like in the other modes?
It's been suggested by everyone.

Hylian7

Played my first Meepo in AR. My practice in bot matches paid off initially, I was doing well-ish despite a very derpy and angry team. There was no space or time to farm even though we had a Tinker and a Spirit Breaker. I fought my "support" Panda for LH in safelane and then couldn't jungle because the other team kept pushing and we had no wards. I think I was 2-2-2, halfway to an Aghs (point booster and ogre club) with treads and a basi before things fell apart and we just got rofflestomped.

It didn't help that Tinker built treads instead of BoT and didn't ever split push, or that the only spirit Breaker broke was ours by taking the absolute worst dives. And our Russian Elder Titan was more in love with swearing at us and calling us noobs than actually supporting and doing things like buying wards. His drawing skills, however, could into be called into question. Many interesting things were drawn on the mini-map.

I also couldn't handle being focused on by Lion, Disruptor and Clockwerk. AoE Silence, being trapped in kentic field, getting fingered, stunned, frogged and cogged. It was brutal. Also not the line-up I would've chosen to try my Meepo out against. I've got three hotkeys for my Meepos, one for main, one for clones and the rest for all but it doesn't feel like it's enough.

I guess it was nice that me playing Meepo wasn't THE reason we lost. Just A reason.
Why the... What...

I hope that Tinker drops to sub 1k MMR for that. Even if it takes you 30 minutes, you ALWAYS go BoTs on Tinker. Any other shoes are worthless on him. In all my games I have never seen these mythical non-BoTs Tinkers.

Generally though, that stuff is going to happen when your team is failing that hard. If things actually go well early, or your team can actually work together to pull it out of the deficit you are in, stuff like Lion fingers and Static Storms will be no problem to you. Meepo has the best natural magic resistances in the game. With a level advantage, it becomes easy to get a gold advantage and you can fight like any other carry. The difference in Meepo is that he hits that "I'VE FINISHED FARMING, LEVEL MAX!" state much sooner than others. If you do it right you can bulldoze both towers and heroes with no problem. You generally do need a good team behind you though, because they will often forget that you can easily get crapped on for a while.

Hylian7

Even if my entire team was Earth Spirits I think I still would have lost all 3 of my games.

Time to solo queue Russia AR

It's been suggested by everyone.
The mere thought of this gives me nightmares.

One kicks another in, who ults and silences and the others help refresh the ult for the next 5 minutes and keep the silences up.

Not that I'm playing AP, but watching PFlax's stream I noticed people that still haven't picked their heroes when the time is up and there's a pause before the game even starts in pretty much every other match.

Another reason to avoid AP, it seems. Though I'm guilty of being one of those people because even if I pick a "safe" hero before the rest of the team, the late-pickers on the team will find some way to absolutely ruin everything.

Double junglers, double mids, 4 carries, Sniper, etc.

I'm sure the most sensible team compositions I've been a part of have mostly been in All Random. Also, picking a carry in the first 3 slots in random draft is a terrible idea, because the Russian picking last will definitely also get a carry.

Kreunt

Banned

i'd prefer a small pause over players on my team getting random heroes they don't know how to use.

bounchfx

i'd prefer a small pause over players on my team getting random heroes they don't know how to use.

I think the problem I have with it is that a lot of people just wait and try to counter pick. Though to be fair, I often run late and it's simply because I'm indecisive heh

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The game of Russian solo queue AR someone swapped me OD and I was safelane with CM.
300 ping and 50% packet loss, but our team was winning and ganking together and we had lanes that made sense (even if everyone was speaking Russian).

Then I get some kind of steam login error after all their T2's were taken. Hope I don't get an abandon since I can't rejoin.

Kreunt

Banned
I think the problem I have with it is that a lot of people just wait and try to counter pick. Though to be fair, I often run late and it's simply because I'm indecisive heh

I think the best option is something like a ticking gold penalty, but it needs to be made obvious, like a big fucking flashing number on their screen.

Shagbark was one of the first things I bought in the Frostivus sale, but then I got a Valdi and now I have to choose between the two each match.

Why the... What...

I hope that Tinker drops to sub 1k MMR for that. Even if it takes you 30 minutes, you ALWAYS go BoTs on Tinker. Any other shoes are worthless on him. In all my games I have never seen these mythical non-BoTs Tinkers.

Generally though, that stuff is going to happen when your team is failing that hard. If things actually go well early, or your team can actually work together to pull it out of the deficit you are in, stuff like Lion fingers and Static Storms will be no problem to you. Meepo has the best natural magic resistances in the game. With a level advantage, it becomes easy to get a gold advantage and you can fight like any other carry. The difference in Meepo is that he hits that "I'VE FINISHED FARMING, LEVEL MAX!" state much sooner than others. If you do it right you can bulldoze both towers and heroes with no problem. You generally do need a good team behind you though, because they will often forget that you can easily get crapped on for a while.

I have never seen or played with a Tinker who didn't get Boots of Travel. Ever. Until tonight. When Tinker left Mid, I thought that meant BoTs acquired but then he didn't split push, at all. I looked at his inventory, saw Power Treads and knew we were fucked. When the match ended he had a Bottle, Power Treads, a Null Talisman and Staff of Wizardy. I dunno who he was going to gank from within the Dire base. He was midding against a Clockwerk so, I'm not sure what happened there. That match-up should totally be in Tinker's favour.

It was solo queue AR, so I wasn't expecting much from laning. I just needed 4 with no deaths and I could jungle. Which I got. I just kinda expected Tinker and Spirit Breaker to create some space so Radiant couldn't push so aggressively but it was fight-fight-fight as soon as laning ended. They 5 man'd, probably nullifying SB right there, took map control and hemmed us in our base pretty quickly. I got an Aghs in what I thought was a decent amount of time considering the circumstances but by then our jungle was lost to us. No getting huge quickly, no Blink Dagger, no Roshan, just sadness. And penis drawings on the mini-map.

Regarding picking after the timer is up: it's honestly one of the things about this game that still pisses me off every time. Mostly waiting in game for someone on my team to pick, I don't really care if the entire other team is counter picking. Get to your lane on time, asshole.

When the time runs out on picking your hero, didn't it just random your hero in DotA? Why doesn't it do that in Dota 2? That is one of the most annoying aspects about AP, one of the reasons I don't really play the mode anymore. Unless I'm really jonesing to play a specific hero that RNG gods have denied me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom