• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.
At first I was kinda upset at the low MMR I got... but actually I kind of like it. Being under ranked means winning and winning is fun.

Today was a good day.

XglrYi1.jpg
bu bu bu mmr hell!
You can say that about hex on all heroes.
its almost like hex is a good item

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You can say that about hex on all heroes.

Sure, but Hex benefits Ursa especially well because he has trouble holding down targets. It's not unheard for an Ursa to get both Abyssal and Hex to focus down a priority target before they can get away.

And if anyone has 5k gold to throw away on a stun, it's Ursa.

ElyrionX

Sure, but Hex benefits Ursa especially well because he has trouble holding down targets. It's not unheard for an Ursa to get both Abyssal and Hex to focus down a priority target before they can get away.

And if anyone has 5k gold to throw away on a stun, it's Ursa.

He already has Skull Basher. It made much more sense to get an Abyssal before a hex.

When the other lane feeds dusa like crazy

I just watched the game.

Here is my feedback.

Don't pick terrorblade when they pick a medusa first. That just seems like a bad matchup to me, but whatever.

You need to miss less last hits. At like 2 minutes you had missed at least 7 you could have gotten. That's almost one third of your power treads man!

You need to not waste metamorphosis, it's practically your ult. You only used it right the third time. The first time you used it to try and kill the weaver under his own tower. This obviously didn't work so you you hid, teleported back. You were saving for a hand of midas, so you didn't buy regen so immediately upon coming back to lane he right clicked you three times and you died. 100% your fault.

Thankfully you abandoned your midas plan, and turned it into power treads. Good choice!

You then wasted metamorphosis again trying to solo kill that pesky ol' weaver! Bad choice!

At some point you went mid with lion and tried to kill the earthshaker. He immediately ult'd and killed both you and lion because you were surrounded by creeps of both sides. This was funny for me to watch. Also 100% your fault.

The third time you meta'd, you pushed down a tower! Congrats!

On item choice, I don't know about the more experienced players here, but I never get drums on TB and go straight for yasha -> s&y -> manta -> hh. No clue if that's good, it works for me. Drums doesn't seem to give you anything in my mind. So... yeah.

At some other point you had an invis rune, and instead of immediately killing the half health disruptor with it, you wandered around in circles under your tower until the disruptor ult'd you by accident and almost killed you. You immediately walk into earth shaker again and die. 100% your fault.

To sum up. Yes, your team did feed the medusa. Yes, you could have won, and out carried the medusa. No you do not escape criticism so don't even try to pin it on your team. Man up, take responsibility, get better. I stopped watching at 20 minutes, but you had only taken 2 towers and had shit for farm. All your fault. Don't whine about, bbbbbut my lion support left me. So? Bbbbbbut my team fed. Wah. Farm better. Make better choices. Get better.

Hylian7

I just watched the game.

Here is my feedback.

Don't pick terrorblade when they pick a medusa first. That just seems like a bad matchup to me, but whatever.

You need to miss less last hits. At like 2 minutes you had missed at least 7 you could have gotten. That's almost one third of your power treads man!

You need to not waste metamorphosis, it's practically your ult. You only used it right the third time. The first time you used it to try and kill the weaver under his own tower. This obviously didn't work so you you hid, teleported back. You were saving for a hand of midas, so you didn't buy regen so immediately upon coming back to lane he right clicked you three times and you died. 100% your fault.

Thankfully you abandoned your midas plan, and turned it into power treads. Good choice!

You then wasted metamorphosis again trying to solo kill that pesky ol' weaver! Bad choice!

At some point you went mid with lion and tried to kill the earthshaker. He immediately ult'd and killed both you and lion because you were surrounded by creeps of both sides. This was funny for me to watch. Also 100% your fault.

The third time you meta'd, you pushed down a tower! Congrats!

On item choice, I don't know about the more experienced players here, but I never get drums on TB and go straight for yasha -> s&y -> manta -> hh. No clue if that's good, it works for me. Drums doesn't seem to give you anything in my mind. So... yeah.

At some other point you had an invis rune, and instead of immediately killing the half health disruptor with it, you wandered around in circles under your tower until the disruptor ult'd you by accident and almost killed you. You immediately walk into earth shaker again and die. 100% your fault.

To sum up. Yes, your team did feed the medusa. Yes, you could have won, and out carried the medusa. No you do not escape criticism so don't even try to pin it on your team. Man up, take responsibility, get better. I stopped watching at 20 minutes, but you had only taken 2 towers and had shit for farm. All your fault. Don't whine about, bbbbbut my lion support left me. So? Bbbbbbut my team fed. Wah. Farm better. Make better choices. Get better.

I was aware of that stuff when it happened, and wasn't "blaming my teammates for my mistakes", I was just summing up what happened as you asked how I lost as TB and I answered they fed the Dusa quite a bit. And you can agree than that was what happened.

On the items thing I felt like I needed drums because it was a rough game and I needed little things to try to midgame the Dusa over big things. The drums give you stats and the aura. What's not to like about this?

I was aware of that stuff when it happened, and wasn't "blaming my teammates for my mistakes", I was just summing up what happened as you asked how I lost as TB and I answered they fed the Dusa quite a bit. And you can agree than that was what happened.

On the items thing I felt like I needed drums because it was a rough game and I needed little things to try to midgame the Dusa over big things. The drums give you stats and the aura. What's not to like about this?

In the 20 minutes I watched you didn't even face the dusa, and you had already lost solely because of your performance carrying.

"When the other lane feeds dusa like crazy"

Does not accurately answer how YOU lost as terrorblade.

Re Drums: For 200 gold more you can have 7 more agility (you don't get the strength or int, but you're terrorblade so cares about those) and you get the equivalent move speed buff. And someone else on your team was making a drums already so...

Hylian7

In the 20 minutes I watched you didn't even face the dusa, and you had already lost solely because of your performance carrying.

The team loses, so I lose, that's the same thing. That does answer the question.

I gave a brief summary, sorry I didn't hit every little detail. Yes, I made some mistakes. Yes, my team made mistakes. Yes, the other team even made mistakes even though they won.

Regarding drums: I feel like you could make the same argument on almost any other carry. It's a good survivability and stat item with a nice aura.

The team loses, so I lose, that's the same thing. That does answer the question.

I gave a brief summary, sorry I didn't hit every little detail. Yes, I made some mistakes. Yes, my team made mistakes. Yes, the other team even made mistakes even though they won.

It's an attitude issue. Again, take responsibility and stop pinning the losses on someone else. Every single post is about how team feeds this or unlucky runes that. No. You made mistakes. That's fine, we all make mistakes. But just focus more on improving instead of blaming your team 6 times a night when you're already on tilt because you've lost x in a row.

Ketch

Oh man, I am the worst pudge ever. Lost my lane so hard vs. huskar, but we ended up wining anyway, on an ursa carry.

I failed all of my early game hooks, and then just went like full on support.... eventually I made a couple decent hooks later into the game, but I was so under leveled that I couldn't get any kills... It's okay though, I still had good warding and his ulti is a pretty hard CC on a short cool down so at least I wasn't completely worthless.

dmshaposv

If you suck at traditional hook pudge play, just play blink pudge.

Instead of hook initiating, just blink initiate dismember, and if the duder is still about to run away, hook'em back, since they'll probably be running in front of you in a straight line.

Hylian7

Instead of hook initiating, just blink initiate dismember, and if the duder is still about to run away, hook'em back, since they'll probably be running in front of you in a straight line.

Something I should throw on top of this. If you're doing Blink Pudge, and hooking after Dismember, DO NOT SHIFT QUEUE YOUR HOOK.

The reason for this is after the Dismember channel time, which they will know when to expect to be free, and of course try to move and dodge your hook. After you finish the dismember, you have to do the wind up animation for the hook, and you will probably miss.

Instead, hook manually when there's 0.1 or 0.2 seconds left on the Dismember channel time. You're sacrificing that brief disable and damage, sure, but it is more than worth the pure damage you get from the hook.

Ketch

Yea I got blink eventually, it took a lot longer then one would like because I was the only one buying wards or anything.. and I used it effectively. I'm not embarrassed of my play, just my hooks. But how else are you supposed to learn the hero?

My ideal would be to play nothing but pudge in all pick for like 10 games and just say F my W/L and my teammates, I'm learning to hook.

I want to improve my support skills. Any one could tell me about some recent matches that I can watch the replays of with good support skills? Normally I just babysit the carry a little bit but never really go out into the jungle or gank different lanes, tried my last few matches but it did not work out very well.

Gofu

Banned
How do I get involved in the tournament scene? I am a lone-wolf agressive playstyle playmaker who likes to get involved in early teamfights and make things happen. My elo is 2984 and I think it's so low because of my shitty teamates in pubs that dont listen to me or back me up! Anyways, i want to join a competititive team so where do look?

Artanisix

I want to improve my support skills. Any one could tell me about some recent matches that I can watch the replays of with good support skills? Normally I just babysit the carry a little bit but never really go out into the jungle or gank different lanes, tried my last few matches but it did not work out very well.

The dreamleague tournament is completely free! Go into the watch -> tournament -> dreamleague tab, click on a team you like, throw on the caster audio, and switch your camera to player perspective on a support hero. If you pay attention and watch their movements, you will learn a LOT. This is what I used to do a ton when I was younger and had more free time.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Yeah legit, the best way to get better at this game is to watch really really good players play your favorite heroes/role and try to emulate them.

I really really believe that after your mechanics are "decent," you can get a lot better by simply picking a high skill hero like say SF (works for supports as well, good supporting is really really something to behold, you really need to have good foresight and awareness), watching a bunch of replays of a pro or high level pubstomper play the hero--watch their movements game to game, their patterns of play, their style against disadvantageous match-ups, their item builds, their camera movements, etc...

Then you take what you've learned after a few replays and just practice it, try to emulate it, try to play like them, and you'll get better and better. And you'll notice that it makes you a much better player outside of the 1 or 2 heroes you've been focusing on, your game sense and general awareness will improve dramatically if you follow through.

I used to do this in HoN a bunch when streaming wasn't very popular; now that streaming is huge, it's probably easier to just find your favorite high level streamer and pay attention to how they play/approach the game. You pick up a lot and it's one of the best ways to get over the dota "plateau" that always hits us at one point or another, sometimes multiple times.

The dreamleague tournament is completely free! Go into the watch -> tournament -> dreamleague tab, click on a team you like, throw on the caster audio, and switch your camera to player perspective on a support hero. If you pay attention and watch their movements, you will learn a LOT. This is what I used to do a ton when I was younger and had more free time.

Thanks, I'll download a few games from that.

I never thought I needed it, because I watched plenty of pro games. But of course casters don't really pay attention to what the supports are doing and suddenly they pop up and make things happen.

Sajjaja

How do I get involved in the tournament scene? I am a lone-wolf agressive playstyle playmaker who likes to get involved in early teamfights and make things happen. My elo is 2984 and I think it's so low because of my shitty teamates in pubs that dont listen to me or back me up! Anyways, i want to join a competititive team so where do look?

I read this like a craigslist personals ad.

Yeah legit, the best way to get better at this game is to watch really really good players play your favorite heroes/role and try to emulate them.

I really really believe that after your mechanics are "decent," you can get a lot better by simply picking a high skill hero like say SF (works for supports as well, good supporting is really really something to behold, you really need to have good foresight and awareness), watching a bunch of replays of a pro or high level pubstomper play the hero--watch their movements game to game, their patterns of play, their style against disadvantageous match-ups, their item builds, their camera movements, etc...

Then you take what you've learned after a few replays and just practice it, try to emulate it, try to play like them, and you'll get better and better. And you'll notice that it makes you a much better player outside of the 1 or 2 heroes you've been focusing on, your game sense and general awareness will improve dramatically if you follow through.

I used to do this in HoN a bunch when streaming wasn't very popular; now that streaming is huge, it's probably easier to just find your favorite high level streamer and pay attention to how they play/approach the game. You pick up a lot and it's one of the best ways to get over the dota "plateau" that always hits us at one point or another, sometimes multiple times.

I've always avoided watching because it seems like everything would just fly over my head and I didn't think I would get better from it. I pretty much thought the best way to learn was to just play, but I guess that's not the case entirely. I'll try watching some matches too.

Madouu

I have a 'Cruel Diretide' HUD and an 'Elder Cruel Diretide' HUD, what does 'Elder' denote again?

Age.

From dota 2 wiki: This item was distributed in Elder quality to all players that opened the welcoming presents and currently owned the Cruel Diretide.

Shinypogs

Duration: 1:08:26, I have no idea how a game that long didn't feel like it but a 30 minute game can feel like it's dragging forever. Also sniper's ministun can continue to fuck right off and I still love venomancer, especially his ult.

Kreunt

Banned
I seem to have a better win rate when I random instead of just falling back to the heroes I know the most.

fake edit: It's probably also because I get to play carries/gankers when I random, as opposed to last picking a support because the team needs one.

Re Drums: For 200 gold more you can have 7 more agility (you don't get the strength or int, but you're terrorblade so cares about those) and you get the equivalent move speed buff. And someone else on your team was making a drums already so...

What was that thing I wrote yesterday about people blaming the person then going through their dotabuff?

Right...

He watched 20 minutes of the match in question to give more profound advice
The conversation started with Hylian posting a screenshot of his own Dotabuff

What's your point

That's Steve's comment about me only complaining was not only hurtful but out of touch.

:'(

So pipe down before you get your knickers in a twist

Jex

Just had a match when the offlane Clockwork on our team (dualing with Mirana) didn't get cogs for 9 levels. Can anyone imagine a scenario where this makes sense? I need to check the replay to see if there's some logic behind it, but it just seems bizarre, especially with the arrow follow up.

Demoli

But they are especially good on TB since they boost his meager HP pool and provide a lot of MS, which is huge since he has no other escape.

Played a bit of dazzle yesterday, hero is so stupid strong, started as number 5 support and eventually was the most farmed on our team, games like these are why I love dota.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom