• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alliance are definitely back to their best after one match (out of three) with Lifestealer Wisp.

Certain favourites for TI4. How can anyone else compete?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Woah, when was the last time shadow shaman was banned?

Fnatic must be weary of the the tower pushing power of the last game.

Edit: Alliance bans Io though? I would think they'd try to utilize the strat again. Maybe they are worried Fnatic will counter it immediately.

cstretten

I'd like to share with you all our latest item for Wraith King :)

Soulstrike by Stefco and Prophet9

D00C5E7C7E21CF164FC2D6E91DAF1B139811D4A3

70501C2B6E2F236BA22397AC90FD81AB933D481E

Please vote it up if you like it!
Cheers :)

Guru-Guru

Banned
Any way to turn up the video quality on the twitch stream? After a couple of minutes it keeps defaulting me to shit quality, even though the higher quality was running well. I'm on my iPad because my desktop is fucked up, if that changes anything.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
What tournament are you guys watching btw?

also I have been meaning to buy asus rog league in the Dota 2 until i learned you can watch it free on youtube, 10 bucks its a hard pill to swallow when you can watch free elsewhere.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

also I have been meaning to buy asus rog league in the Dota 2 until i learned you can watch it free on youtube, 10 bucks its a hard pill to swallow when you can watch free elsewhere.

Starladder finals are going on right now on Twitch.

shira

Starladder 8 Twitch
Liquipedia link

Yeah tickets are pretty expensive unless you want to specifically support the item makers - who post here - or prefer DotaTV.

Wow, that Naga body block was perfect. Nice first blood.

2 first bloods and 2 losses. Xboct is to 4 as Fnatic is to 2.

Starladder live lan finals.

The benefit of the ticket is you get to watch it in game and look at it however you want. Player perspective is super awesome and really helpful if you're actively looking to get better.

But yeah most of the time, for most people I don't think it's actually worth buying the ticket unless you just feel like supporting.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I don't know why these teams keep doing very well against alliance at the beginning but then just playing passively and letting them catch up and own them.

I think Dota is a bit different than League and faces some unique challenges League has shielded itself from.

1.) Region locking. Spookie's last reply to me is really a case in point of the problem here. People are playing Dota 2 in regions far from their home region and speaking languages unknown in the region they've queued for. This immediately makes for a frustrating game all by itself, considering how important communication is in Dota 2. League avoids this problem almost completely by having different regions. In the hundreds of League matches I've played, I can literally count on one hand how many have been populated by people who did not speak English. Compare that to our typical Dota 2 experience.

3.) All-chat disabled by default. Let's be real: most of the talk in all-chat after the initial GLHF is shit talk. Which gets people's defenses up and tips the scales towards people venting on teammates when things don't go well.

4.) You can vote to surrender early. It's something I've used in less than 10 matches, but if a game is clearly unwinnable (and sometimes it's quite clear), forcing people to stay and deal with a negative experience for the next 10-20 minutes or more as the other team falls back to farm, Roshes, and attempts to buy every expensive item in the game when they really could just push to end only makes people angrier. Anger that carries over to the next game if things don't immediately start off well. Whether a surrender option is good isn't the point here so much as an analysis of what the lack of one can do to a player's mindset for his next couple of games. Sometimes getting a game over with quickly with a surrender can get the frustration out of the system before genuine anger and frustration set in. There is value in that.

Both games still have their share of ragequitters, intentional feeders, and ragers. But there are things both mechanical (how the game is designed) and technical (how people are put together and how they can communicate with each other) that result in significantly less raging in League, I've found. The contrast is fairly stark. All-chat banter in League is often playful, of all things. Even complimentary. When was the last time you've seen someone get owned and tell the opponent "damn...nice play bro." in Dota2? Just about never. That shit happens often in League.

Since Dota2 can't do anything about #1 and #2 because of the design of the game itself and the service (Steam), it will be interesting what ideas and implementations they come up with over the years to extract more positive play out of people who might ordinarily be a bit more defensive and hostile. A big start for many of us would be finding a way to address the language issues. Not being able to communicate because a teammate neither speaks nor reads English on USE/W just feels bad. As for #3 and #4, I do hope they continue to consider their options here, perhaps with some focus group testing.
1. I do not support region locking. I, like many Dota 2 players, have had my fair share of Peruvians, Chinese, and Russians, but there are people who might be friends with people from other countries and they wont be able to play with them because of region locking.
What I think should be done is when you have a region selected other than the one you are in, the game should say when you click search, "You have a region selected you are not located in. Continue? You say yes or no and it will not ask you again until you have done three matches. The cooldown for it asking is so that it does not become a pest.

3. All chat should not be disabled. There are some funny things that happen because of All Chat and those will go away if disabled.

4. I will only support vote to surrender if you can only vote after your first set of racks goes down. Before that happens it is certainly possible to comeback. I have comeback a few times after three racks with the other team having a gold and level advantage. Games are not determined as quickly as League because of how this game is played.

League's chatter is not playful or any better than DOTA's. People hate on each other more in that game. Many times they will say we loss in a normals game because you are in Gold and they are in the almighty Diamond. Trash talking in League happens in the after-match chat. While DOTA's trash talking happens in the in-game chat. Call of Duty's trash talking is done in the pre-game lobby.

manfestival

I'd like to share with you all our latest item for Wraith King :)

Soulstrike by Stefco and Prophet9

D00C5E7C7E21CF164FC2D6E91DAF1B139811D4A3

70501C2B6E2F236BA22397AC90FD81AB933D481E

Please vote it up if you like it!
Cheers :)

That sword is legit.

Also it seems like shadow friend doesn't work against alliance. Pretty sure singsing was just watching this and the moment he saw fnatic pick SF he was like.... WOW THEY LOST. THAT HERO SUCKS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom