• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT4| The saga of Vade and ReRixo: the Boat Anchors continues.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
"We could see people still watching Dota 2 and LoL in 30 to 40 years."

LOLOLOL, can't take that seriously at all

Yeah wtf? How do you project something out 30 - 40 years!?

LoL is easier to get into, so it attracts more people. Simple as that.lies[/SPOILER]

Boken

Banned
It's still growing faster than dota? That's crazy if indeed true.

The figures are not public, so nobody can tell. Judging by the quality of the wikipedia page, Dota 2 is far less popular in Europe than LoL though.

well you can tell because dota is barely growing right now

if something doesnt happen, heroes of the storm might even be popular than dota, which is pre sad yo

Quesa

I checked my dotamax and realized that I played one Very High game with 109 a long ass time ago.
And I sucked

if something doesnt happen, heroes of the storm might even be popular than dota, which is pre sad yo

I can't tell if you're being serious or not lol
I'm basically trying to figure out if I should switch to Dota 2 or just stick with LoL if the former won't be sustainable.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk

lol

I can't tell if you're being serious or not lol
I'm basically trying to figure out if I should switch to Dota 2 or just stick with LoL if the former won't be sustainable.

Dota is fine. One of the biggest games in the world and the second largest esport.

LoL is just in a different league altogether.

Razzer

If you are worried that playing Dota isn't good long term cus the community will not be there don't worry. As Archie says, comparing to league makes things seem worse than they are because League is just so far ahead of every other game out there. Dota 2 is still the most played game on steam by far. It has a huge fanbase and is perfectly healthy.

Addressing a couple of other things, from what I remember, Dota was growing faster when you look at percentages, but a smaller percentage of a larger number can still create a larger number so League is still growing faster in raw numbers. Lies, damn lies and statistics, really. That said, that was a while ago and Dota growth has stagnated a little as Boken pointed out, but again its just about which stats you look at. Each year Dota has stopped growing during the October through April/May months, then boomed nearer the summer when the typical demographic has more time to play. Not to mention the publicity the International generates. Year over Year growth is honestly the best thing to look at and I don't have those stats on me.

Sibylus

Banned
just wait bro
ill happily eat my words
I very much doubt the game is going to receive the substantial overhauls and rebalancing that both LoL and Dota get, Blizzard'll polish it up to a satisfactory point and then just keep tacking on additional heroes and minor balance updates from then on out.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I very much doubt the game is going to receive the substantial overhauls and rebalancing that both LoL and Dota get, Blizzard'll polish it up to a satisfactory point and then just keep tacking on additional heroes and minor balance updates from then on out.

It'll still be popular, Hearthstone is mediocre and has plenty of players and viewers.

Karakand

DreamLeague Skywrath x Venge HUD sounds pretty sweet, maybe we'll get it in 8 months with the rest of the shit we were promised and haven't received.

Sibylus

Banned
It'll still be popular, Hearthstone is mediocre and has plenty of players and viewers.
Popularity is a given, but I'm talking about the game being competitive with its genre counterparts. More given to believing it'll languish under the SC2 model of support.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
DreamLeague Skywrath x Venge HUD sounds pretty sweet, maybe we'll get it in 8 months with the rest of the shit we were promised and haven't received.
I really don't get what is up with the loading screen. It's in the files, it randomly shows up at times, but they haven't formally given it out yet.
Workshop contributors, valve wants feedback on the contributor area of the international
http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=131151
Am I allowed to comment if my submission hadn't been accepted? I mean, I have contributed, one of the items is almost good even, Vlat did the texture!

Boken

Banned
Popularity is a given, but I'm talking about the game being competitive with its genre counterparts. More given to believing it'll languish under the SC2 model of support.
just to clarify, i just meant that hots will have more players than dota = more popular
HotS is stillborn. It's launching waaaaay to late. Dota got burned hard launching late and HotS is going to be even worse.
who cares if ur late if ur people have been waiting to play with beloved blizzard franchises this whole time?

they have some of the 3 biggest PC IPs in the world. + theres still people who think things like items+last hitting is too hard/boring

shira

they have some of the 3 biggest PC IPs in the world. + theres still people who think things like items+last hitting is too hard/boring

I was a huge blizzard fan, but deciding not to keep dota was probably the biggest video game fuck up since Nintendo and Sony split.

WmQUjMW.jpg

hmmmm to buy or not to buy

I really don't get what is up with the loading screen. It's in the files, it randomly shows up at times, but they haven't formally given it out yet.
Am I allowed to comment if my submission hadn't been accepted? I mean, I have contributed, one of the items is almost good even, Vlat did the texture!
I have 3 tf2 items in, that has to count, right?

BeesEight

I'm curious to see how Hearthstone and HotS develop after release and how much a competitive component of the games plays in their sustainability and longevity. From the looks of it, I'm sceptical either will have as great a competitive following as LoL, Dota 2 or Starcraft.

I'm not even sure what sort of numbers Starcraft II pulls anymore.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I was a huge blizzard fan, but deciding not to keep dota was probably the biggest video game fuck up since Nintendo and Sony split.

Yep. Not taking advantage of the IP and then trying to capitalize on it yearssss later was a massive, massive mistake.

Blizzard could be raking in Volvo money on top of WoW money right now, but nope.

i am really glad they didn't handle dota

give techies

Do people really care about Techies that much or is just one of those meme things? Techies seems like a hero that the majority of people will never be able to play properly and likely won't show up in pro games much for the same reason Meepo doesn't, the rewards aren't worth the risk.

I'd love to be proven wrong though because I like seeing more off the wall mechanics and heroes.

Hylian7

http://dotabuff.com/matches/593406884

A case of "do the dumbest lanes and somehow win because your Tinker is snowballing and you have a Terrorblade for late game." I have no idea why my teammates thought it was appropriate for AA and SB to go in the offlane and leave me solo against Omni and Clinkz, but I was helpless and got less than 20 CS by 10 minutes and dived endlessly by those assholes. I asked for AA to help me, and he wouldn't. Somehow we won.

Top Bottom