• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT4| The saga of Vade and ReRixo: the Boat Anchors continues.

Einbroch

Banned
Damnit Einbroch, I was contemplating getting that as my new avatar.

Oh well

Want it?

I'm gonna switch to a Wildstar one.

ixjxBB1i6gT9E.png

Aselith

What is the most efficient way to play Zeus? The last time I tried, I was rushing agh and refresher and it tooks too long to make the gameplay interesting. I think I will try to play more wisely with the runes and to better plan the ultimate.

Bottle for mid > Mana Boots > Veil > something mana regeny if you need it maybe make the pers for your later refresher > Aghs >Refresher

Veil is much better than the others for early game because it's more mana efficient in the early game and will be useful all game making drop off in the late game less impactful for you. Additionally, it enhances all of your abilities and any teammate magic whereas the other two are focused on that ult. You'll be much more useful to your team as a whole if you get veil first.

Also if you want to be Good Guy Zeus, use ulty before the enemy gets very low for team fight asssitance so the carry in that lane gets the last hit instead of you.

Proof is in the pudding here; http://dotabuff.com/players/1049964...zeus&lobby_type=&game_mode=&region=&duration=

As you can see I started going Veil build about a year ago and 85% winrate since then.

Kioshen

Add me, my steam name is the same. And I'd advise you to just play multiplayer. Not even a million bot games are going to prevent others from flaming you for everything you do. If your teammates are nice and willing to help out, great. If they're assholes, just do you. Also, bot games aren't a great way of learning the game beyond like 10-20 bot games, I only play them anymore to learn the harder heroes.

I'll add you but we're like 6 hours apart so I doubt we'll see each other online much but hey it never hurts.

As for playing bot games, well I'm starting from scratch here since this is my first moba. I started playing dota 2 because I was watching DC's CD invitational tournament match by a random chance. I'm barely getting the hang of things mechanically let alone knowing which hero does what so bot games allow me to run a few matches without pressure just to explore a particular hero. I read a lot of people complaining about their teammates around here so I don't think i'd be really helpful in a real game. Here's the few matches that I've tried with my friend. I watch a lot of pro matches and read a lot of guide but man it's a lot to learn at the same time.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I'll add you but we're like 6 hours apart so I doubt we'll see each other online much but hey it never hurts.

As for playing bot games, well I'm starting from scratch here since this is my first moba. I started playing dota 2 because I was watching DC's CD invitational tournament match by a random chance. I'm barely getting the hang of things mechanically let alone knowing which hero does what so bot games allow me to run a few matches without pressure just to explore a particular hero. I read a lot of people complaining about their teammates around here so I don't think i'd be really helpful in a real game. Here's the few matches that I've tried with my friend. I watch a lot of pro matches and read a lot of guide but man it's a lot to learn at the same time.

What timezone are you in?

If your around GMT -5/6 add me on Steam. Same as my name here.

I'm pretty trash tier, but I can help you get the mechanics down.

ViviOggi

Dibs on the Krob avatar

Seeing those hero selections my piece of advice going forward would be: don't shoehorn yourself into the support role too early because you're not confident in your last hitting, don't want to drag your team down too much etc. - every single one of your teammates in your first few dozens of matches is going to suck horribly, bar the occasional smurf. Mute the ragers immediately and don't feel bad about having to learn the game. Focusing on a handful of mechanically simple heroes can help in the beginning, but I'd always try to rotate between every role.

This is based on my experience playing together with a bunch of support-only players who underperformed heavily not only on the 1/2/3 positions when they had to play them, but in their role of choice too. They'd be pure babysitters, never leaving the lane on their own, doing half-assed and often detrimental pulls, warding the same basic spots no matter how the game was unfolding, constantly underestimating enemy heroes' effective ranges and missing 90% of the crucial lasthits during the few minutes they had a lane for themselves - much of this simply because they couldn't comprehend other players' actions and never developed a sense for the overall flow of a match and its constant changing of objectives. These are players with 500+ hours played, and they eventually got into MMR ranges where they couldn't suddenly start learning entire roles practically from scratch without getting utterly crushed and taking away little from the loss.

Maybe those weren't your thoughts at all and you just happened to pick these particular heroes because they were advised for beginners or something and were going to branch out eventually, that's great. This is just one of my pet peeves when it comes to learning Dotes. Good supports are so damn rare.

tl;dr: to become a decent player in any role you'll have to understand the fundamentals of every role. Supports don't have less impact than carries - a bad support simply loses a match early while a bad carry throws it away late.

Razzer

Single pulls infuriate me when I play carry. Great, you just fucked up my lane equilibrium and made it way easier for me to get ganked and for the offlaner(s) to get exp they could use to kill me, thanks for that, top notch support. It's why I never single pull as support unless we are pushing, always stack or pull-through.

Top Bottom