• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT4| The saga of Vade and ReRixo: the Boat Anchors continues.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
So on Reddit it says Sheever is casting at TI4. Thoughts?

I've got nothing against her personally, would like to see her getting some interviews or whatever but I don't see what she brings to the table particularly for casting. Tobi/LD/AC all offer better play by play and I'd rather have Draskyl, Lumi or the various pros on analysis. Unless Valve just wants more casting duos, in which case I'd still probably rather have 3 or 4 core teams than a bunch of frankly less talented casters.

What are the pairings everybody is expecting this year? I've seen many implying AC won't even get an invite, but personally I interpreted his whole hinting about an announcer pack to be confirmation that he will. I could very easily see Valve releasing such a thing, and possibly other caster packs, around the time of TI4.

rac

Banned
I've seen many implying AC won't even get an invite, but personally I interpreted his whole hinting about an announcer pack to be confirmation that he will.
He's going to do an announcer pack? Can't wait for the jokes about missing first blood, that sure would be funny.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I like Sheever and it seems like she works hard to stay on top of lots of stuff, but I do not enjoy her as a caster.

Ayesee needs to work on his awareness and what his co-commentators say and he'll be a ton better, but I haven't seen that much improvement as of late so I'm not a fan of most of his casts.

Madouu

Sheever is not my favorite caster but she has improved significantly recently and she works very hard which I think should be rewarded.

docbon

I like Sheever and it seems like she works hard to stay on top of lots of stuff, but I do not enjoy her as a caster.

Ayesee needs to work on his awareness and what his co-commentators say and he'll be a ton better, but I haven't seen that much improvement as of late so I'm not a fan of most of his casts.

Word.

The last game I saw where Ayesee was casting had some dreadful camera work going on. Nothing rustles my jimmies more than a camera focused on a random tower while a teamfight is going on elsewhere on the map.

I think Sheever would do very well interviewing players, she has good chemistry with a lot of them. Her casting isn't good, and she probably won't ever be good at it.

AC is the caster I most dislike, missing kills all over the place, has barely an idea of what he's talking about, never lets his co-caster get a word in. His voice is good, and he has potential to be good as long as he sticks to the pbp, doesn't control the camera, and lets his co-caster do the analysis.

Razzer

I used to be with ok with AC. I always believe in giving people a chance. Problem is, he's been casting for aaaaaaaaaaages now, at fairly big tourney's/leagues, and he's just as bad as ever. If you show no sign of improving, then I cross you off my list of liked casters. At least Tobi listens to his casters more than he used to and improved his camera work, and as people have said Sheever is improved every time I see her.

Sibylus

Banned
I used to be with ok with AC. I always believe in giving people a chance. Problem is, he's been casting for aaaaaaaaaaages now, at fairly big tourney's/leagues, and he's just as bad as ever. If you show no sign of improving, then I cross you off my list of liked casters. At least Tobi listens to his casters more than he used to and improved his camera work, and as people have said Sheever is improved every time I see her.
More or less my thoughts too. He has a serious case of Tasteless syndrome: doesn't play the game enough to improve his mechanical knowledge, but without any cocaster synergy really at all in the present.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If Ayesee was paired with a dedicated cameraman and someone who could cut him off any duo would work a lot better.

This is making me want to do more casts too.
Legit, I could cast TI5 quals if I worked at it, but I'm soured on eSports jobs right now.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

I don't know, I like Ayesee. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't really listen to dotacasts to get better at dota or for their deep insight/analysis. If you want to get better at dota just watch some replays and play the damn game, a cast isn't going to make or break you as a player lol (unless your a redditor that watches a lot of competitive dota, then you're a grand strategist for your mmr level but your mechanics might still be poor).

I want a shoutcaster that's just plain entertaining while the ideal co-caster (a pro player like Synderyn) spells out some of the thoughts behind items/drafts/skills. And to me, Ayesee is damn entertaining. His shoutcasting is good, his voice is even better, and his silly ass radio phrases always make me chuckle. He's definitely my first choice for a caster (maybe behind Sunsfan + Synderyn tho, those two are truly amazing, and no, fuck reddit an their whining that sunsfan isn't professional enough to cast, shit sometimes I really hate that place).

Tobi is a close second. After that I really don't care. LD is ok, yeah his game knowledge is better than most but he's not very entertaining and he doesn't have as shoutcaster voice. Lumi is god awful, his game knowledge is complete ass and his voice just isn't suited for the business. Capitalist's voice might just be more jarring than the ringing of a mosquito phone. Ryoboritz wins my award for the new Blaze though, I don't know what the fuck joindota is doing using him as a co-caster. He speaks like he's whispering at a church, has absolutely no confidence in his cast or analysis, "uhhhh yeah sure, uhhh yah good play, uhh dunno, uhhhhhhh."

Karakand

If Ayesee was paired with a dedicated cameraman and someone who could cut him off any duo would work a lot better.

This is making me want to do more casts too.
Legit, I could cast TI5 quals if I worked at it, but I'm soured on eSports jobs right now.

do it hazaro

bring the wasd camera community out of the shadows

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So the bramble ward thing gets kind of interesting

Ticket was removed due to "issues" and the contributor requested it just be added as a regular item. Valve was fine with that, so here we are.

I wonder if this is one of the things that pushed Valve to severely restrict what size tournaments can have items.

I also wonder if the old TPL items could get the same treatment, but they might be too old now.
I guess only of TPL agrees, if I remember right they actually paid for the items to be maid and thus are the owners.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
do it hazaro

bring the wasd camera community out of the shadows
Camera control should be through middle mouse and isn't as much of a focus as dedicated SC2 casting which I think is a detriment because there start to be readability issues on a 30FPS stream with fast scrolling.
But that's a lot of work and training for practice casts so I'll just WASD it up and work on casting improvements instead!

Razzer

I don't know, I like Ayesee. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't really listen to dotacasts to get better at dota or for their deep insight/analysis. If you want to get better at dota just watch some replays and play the damn game, a cast isn't going to make or break you as a player lol (unless your a redditor that watches a lot of competitive dota, then you're a grand strategist for your mmr level but your mechanics might still be poor).

I want a shoutcaster that's just plain entertaining while the ideal co-caster (a pro player like Synderyn) spells out some of the thoughts behind items/drafts/skills. And to me, Ayesee is damn entertaining. His shoutcasting is good, his voice is even better, and his silly ass radio phrases always make me chuckle.

Tobi is a close second. After that I really don't care, LD is ok, yeah his game knowledge is better than most but he's not very entertaining and he doesn't have as shoutcaster voice. Lumi is god awful, his game knowledge is complete ass and his voice just isn't suited for the business. Capitalist's voice might just be more jarring than the mosquito phone sound. Ryoboritz wins my award for the new Blaze though, I don't know what the fuck joindota is doing using him as a co-caster. He speaks like he's whispering at a church, has absolutely no confidence in his cast or analysis, "uhhhh yeah sure, uhhh yah good play, uhh dunno, uhhhhhhh."

It's not game knowledge I want in casters, it's calling the fucking action fluidly. A good voice is an inherent advantage here, which is why Ayesee survives imo. Thanks to his radio days he has fairly good breath control. However, he calls things wrong all the god damn time. You know how everyone ribbed LD at starladder when he was saying spells were used that weren't and people bought back that didn't etc? Ayesee does that all the goddamn time. My favourite example that he does a lot is saying *Insert spell here* ON EVERYONE! Um, no Ayesee, it hit 2 people, and they just lost the fight. That is why I think Tobi is the best purely play-by-play caster, as he has good breath control, keeps up with fights thanks to very good camera control (not to be confused with map awareness where he misses kills), and only goes into scream mode when it deserves it. LD gets screamy a little to easily as well but is closer to Tobi than Ayesee, and his strength is his synergy with pretty much anyone as well as never saying anything cringey like Tobi does.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

I want a shoutcaster that's just plain entertaining while the ideal co-caster (a pro player like Synderyn) spells out some of the thoughts behind items/drafts/skills. And to me, Ayesee is damn entertaining. His shoutcasting is good, his voice is even better, and his silly ass radio phrases always make me chuckle. He's definitely my first choice for a caster (maybe behind Sunsfan + Synderyn tho, those two are truly amazing, and no, fuck reddit an their whining that sunsfan isn't professional enough to cast, shit sometimes I really hate that place).

Tobi is a close second. After that I really don't care. LD is ok, yeah his game knowledge is better than most but he's not very entertaining and he doesn't have as shoutcaster voice. Lumi is god awful, his game knowledge is complete ass and his voice just isn't suited for the business. Capitalist's voice might just be more jarring than the ringing of a mosquito phone. Ryoboritz wins my award for the new Blaze though, I don't know what the fuck joindota is doing using him as a co-caster. He speaks like he's whispering at a church, has absolutely no confidence in his cast or analysis, "uhhhh yeah sure, uhhh yah good play, uhh dunno, uhhhhhhh."

Agreed completely on AC. I've always really liked him for all the reasons you say. As far as LD, he'll always have his masterful handling of The Play under his belt.

Why is snow ball man's snow ball move invincible during the spin up animation? I can't call him out of it with axe or Cull him while he's in his little protective ball.

So on Reddit it says Sheever is casting at TI4. Thoughts?

I've got nothing against her personally, would like to see her getting some interviews or whatever but I don't see what she brings to the table particularly for casting. Tobi/LD/AC all offer better play by play and I'd rather have Draskyl, Lumi or the various pros on analysis. Unless Valve just wants more casting duos, in which case I'd still probably rather have 3 or 4 core teams than a bunch of frankly less talented casters.

I don't think Sheever has much of a presence as a caster, and any energy she tries to bring to the table feels extremely forced and almost uncomfortable to listen to during a broadcast. That said, during starladder when she was with kpoptosis talking about the games on the side, I found she wasn't bad to listen to, even if all she really did was just say "..and what are your thoughts on ____?".

Razzer

Seeing as that Kunkka set is being mentioned by everyone I'll say I really like the new AOE indicator for boat. When it was in the patch notes I wondered how it would not look jarring but it's great, lovely visual effect.

dmshaposv

Anybody watching DotaCinema A-Z challenge?

Watching SunsFan play a shitty support and Synderen eventually carry him has been fun. Next game, roles switch with Sunsfan on Axe and Synderen on Bane. Can't wait for the feeds.

FACE

Banned
Anybody watching DotaCinema A-Z challenge?

Watching SunsFan play a shitty support and Synderen eventually carry him has been fun. Next game, roles switch with Sunsfan on Axe and Synderen on Bane. Can't wait for the feeds.

Synderen got a 12 min BF on AM and kept saying he was playing like shit, I feel so inadequate :(

Edit: Sunsfan is the world's worst support.

dmshaposv

Synderen got a 12 min BF on AM and kept saying he was playing like shit, I feel so inadequate :(

You bet!

Even when I'm last hitting like a champ, I eventually get it by 15-17 mins and thats when I skip treads. But I guess its because my supports are dumb to push the lane too often and deathball begins at minute 10, whereas synderen had free farm that game and SunsFan actually did ok in zoning out that offlane clock.

Aselith

You bet!

Even when I'm last hitting like a champ, I eventually get it by 15-17 mins and thats when I skip treads. But I guess its because my supports are dumb to push the lane too often and deathball begins at minute 10, whereas synderen had free farm that game and SunsFan actually did ok in zoning out that offlane clock.

I've always found skipping stuff to go for a big item to be a bad move on most farming carries. Treads will make you hit faster and harder which will make you farm faster and more consistently. AM hits so softly with no items that it makes it difficult to really last hit consistently.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
wsurSmW.png

0 wespect from the god of dota

G.ZZZ

Or they can just kill you, and if you go Shadow Blade they will probably dust your ass. If they don't they don't deserve to win anyway.

You don't want to make one of the squishier heroes in the game then squishier when you have the option of just buying real items.

Getting caught when splitpushing? Sub 4k mmr forever confirmed

Chris R

Why do people bitch and moan with report threats because I won't go die with them? Fuck you I'm not TPing into your tower to make the fight 3-5. 3-5 loses, just not as quickly as 2-5. Same goes for pushing uphill into a base when all our ults are down and all of their ults are up and ready to use :\

Morzak

Why do people bitch and moan with report threats because I won't go die with them? Fuck you I'm not TPing into your tower to make the fight 3-5. 3-5 loses, just not as quickly as 2-5. Same goes for pushing uphill into a base when all our ults are down and all of their ults are up and ready to use :\

I absolutely love it when someone runs into the enemy team and the pings furiously and asks why you didn't back them up.

Had a really bad PL game in SD yesterday, didn't help that my team left me solo.... But I just suck at farmer and controlling multiple units....

Aaron

I absolutely love it when someone runs into the enemy team and the pings furiously and asks why you didn't back them up.
I had a teammate when he was between the enemy's first and second towers and all of us were on our side of the map. Then I also had a Lycan wanting me to buy support items when I was playing PL. Both of them had the most deaths by the end of those games. There's no accounting for stupid.

Acinixys

You have 0 wards on the map
Your carry is farming your Jungle
Enemies take Rosh
You ping your carry from base and tell him to leave cause he will die
Literally 5 secs later all 5 enemies kill him because he stayed jungling
Fucking noob report doesnt ward or help me in gank gg noobs worst team 2014 enjoy LPQ retard

- Dota 2

I had a teammate when he was between the enemy's first and second towers and all of us were on our side of the map. Then I also had a Lycan wanting me to buy support items when I was playing PL. Both of them had the most deaths by the end of those games. There's no accounting for stupid.

Sometimes people see opportunities and think you see them too. Unfortunately, this is where communication is key. You don't even need mics in dota anymore. Pinging someone is usually sufficient. When it's not, there's a chat wheel option for going on someone. At that point, it's just a question of whether the other necessary party sees the same opportunity you see. If they don't and refuse to react, not only can opportunities be missed, but unnecessary deaths get collected too. It happens at all ELO's. People don't always see the same thing and aren't mind readers. Doesn't mean anyone is stupid.

Top Bottom