• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
is that canon aegis is that crystal in his head?
man they need to bufff him, just for having such a shitty life.

It's supposed to be a shield, but it's never quite looked like one

I don't know why the aegis looks all spooky and evil though, it seems something that grants immortality would look holy and precious, not sinister.

shira

PAtch had to be a today
I think it's a good idea.

Spending 4200 gold on an item that only allows him to use 1 more stun as a support doesn't make him op.

And if he goes carry, that's 4200 gold spent instead of another item for an extra life.
I think pros go stats in support wk. no need for crit

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
hi just want to give out a PSA to everyone: heroes of the storm is fucking awful and blizzard should feel awful.

thanks

Hylian7

For me it's 1-4-2-1. I usually only need two points march to get my bots from between 7-9 mins. One point laser first to blind people and fuck with their last hitting followed by 2 points march to zone and push for runes, then full rockets and rearm when my bots arrive at level 8.

I always feel like you have to go one or the other though. I'm taking either 4-4-0-0 or 4-0-4-0 at 8. March is great dive protection for yourself if you have it maxed, as well as for teammates once you have BoTs. I never feel like it is worth it to have one point in anything for a while, when you could put it in one of the other skills.

Also I'm assuming that when your say 7-9 minute BoTs, you get Soul Ring after them? I've personally always been a fan of getting SR before. Just feels like the safest route to me.

You should watch this video:
Blitz Coaches Pyrion on Tinker

0:30 - William "Blitz" Lee: "If you're not bitch made you get nukes and shoot them at people."

He makes a good point but I always feel like that build is too reliant on unknowns. You have to commit to one of the builds early. If you go laser missile, then things turn ugly after that, it's basically "whelp, wish I put points in March". I've seen that happen and usually feel like it is better to be safe than sorry.

Ketch

He's just the "rat doto" of HotS, and really not that great, seeing that 90% of the push in that game comes from the map objectives.

from the little I played it seemed the only strat was to push. Push your lane, get objective, push some more, get objective, push some more. If the enemy team tried to team fight you just push the other lanes and get objectives. If the enemy team gets the objective... you just push the lane.

Also, I just wanted to play as arthas, but I couldn't because he wasn't free that week. Fuck that shit.

Lotto

what about the Dead Island moba

I went over this already in the Moba Megathread. Less of a Moba, more of an isometric beat em up. Granted, the mode I usually play is horde which is basically just running through objectives until you get to the boss. It's a fun multiplayer co-op game to play with friends, but if you're looking at it as a replacement/traditional MOBA, you're looking at it wrong imo.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I made a big post on the blizz forums about why HOTS sucks ass, and it's a tragedy really, blizzard's crusade to erase any sense of individual skill, snowballing, or player empowerment is just awful and makes for an awful videogame. It's sad really, the blizz characters and graphics are great; and they just took a shit on all of that with the non-existant gameplay.

Anyway here's my post:
my thoughts on HOTS said:
I couldn't agree more (OP post is about how the game lacks any sort of snowballing). As a veteran LoL/HoN/Dota/Smite/DOTA2 (I've been playing these games for well over 8 years), whatever have you player, HOTS is currently the worst of the bunch because it has 0 sense of progression or player empowerment. The winner of the game honestly feels decided by a coin toss, all sense of individual contribution, team advantage, snowballing or tense play has been removed in favor of a fairly boring flat, unchanging, playing-field. I feel the same from 1 to 25 despite the talents.

Blizzard has somehow managed to create a game where there is absolutely no sense of winning and losing, and where the AI, not the player, is empowered. All these game modes where completing silly objectives allows you to go the magical AI who then does your objective for you (i.e. pirate bombing, mercenary camps). These feel underwhelming, and they don't empower you as a player at all.

In these types of competitive PvP games, you have to feel like you're progressing, like you have an advantage over someone and want to press it, or the opposite, you're at a disadvantage and want to rectify that. That's where the excitement comes from, that's where the intensity comes from. Snowballing.

The game has absolutely no competitive future if things aren't changed. Poor play needs to be punished. Good play rewarded. That's what makes video games, ANY VIDEO GAME, fun. Doesn't need to be as punishing as dota, and doesn't need to be as forgiving as adventure time (cartoon network moba that that is ironically less forgiving and more complex than HOTS).

And yes, adventure time has more snowballing and more complex skills than HOTS. A fucking cartoon network flash game.

Also, they have a goddamn hero rotation and a store in alpha? Are you fucking serious rofl?

did they make it so it works on non thursdays now?

hots just isnt fun

its eye clawingly boring

dimb and i played it for like an hour a while ago and i never really want to touch it again

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Blizzard don't really care, they know they can just polish any old rubbish and people will play it.

I made a big post on the blizz forums about why HOTS sucks ass, and it's a tragedy really, blizzard's crusade to erase any sense of individual skill, snowballing, or player empowerment is just awful and makes for an awful videogame. It's sad really, the blizz characters and graphics are great; and they just took a shit on all of that with the non-existant gameplay.

Anyway here's my post:

And yes, adventure time has more snowballing and more complex skills than HOTS. A fucking cartoon network flash game.

Also, they have a goddamn hero rotation and a store in alpha? Are you fucking serious rofl?

Could you link the thread? I'm interested in what Blizzard fans(and others) think of it.

Hupsel

I played HotS some months ago and yeah its pretty boring. Only Moba I played before was Dota 2 so I cant really compare it to the competition. I think spells are not that powerful and you can just spam them every time and almost never run out of mana. It's also very objective based and completing 2 per match will almost always win you the game, you dont even need to get a lot of kills.

Some things I liked:
- Games usually take about 25 minutes. I love Dota 2 but some 60 minutes matches can be too much (yeah Im weak).
- Training with a hero. You select any hero and can train with him/her, messing around with the spells, summoning creeps and things like that to test builds.

I even have my own video!!! IN PORTUGUESE HUEHUEHU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLCgjiE_GLc

Aselith

So satisfying to be able to prove a flamer asshole wrong. Had a game last night where I started very poorly on Ember. I think I started like 0-7 on mid so doing very badly and from death one this asshole Faceless is spamming well played and talking shit. Then, SK starts in with some just abandon, you should quit dota nonsense. I end up coming back and carrying them 23-14 and Void ends going 8-9 and SK 11-16.

Feel good, man.

BeesEight

Blizzard don't really care, they know they can just polish any old rubbish and people will play it.

It's like randomly removing components of a game that's been in development for over... what, ten years(?), will lead to lots of imbalances in the gameplay.

This is what drove me crazy with LoL and when HotS was announced with even more features removed I suspected it was going to be a hot mess. As you said, I expect Blizzard to follow in Riot's shoes - just keep polishing since your player base is pretty assured.

To be fair to them, I suppose they are trying to do something different but that gets me back to my original problem with HotS - I don't know who it's aimed at other than current Blizzard fans. Dota players won't want to touch it because its nothing like the genre, League players won't want it because it's even more basic than League. I simply have my doubts that there's a large audience for these types of games that haven't already invested into either of the big names. So that essentially leaves the players who want it simply because it has WoW or Starcraft characters in it.

shira

Anyway here's my post:

Isn't it for like total casuals who think Dota is too hard/mean and just want to buy hats and watch streams. Sounds like the engineers perfectly tuned it.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
It's like randomly removing components of a game that's been in development for over... what, ten years(?), will lead to lots of imbalances in the gameplay.

This is what drove me crazy with LoL and when HotS was announced with even more features removed I suspected it was going to be a hot mess. As you said, I expect Blizzard to follow in Riot's shoes - just keep polishing since your player base is pretty assured.

To be fair to them, I suppose they are trying to do something different but that gets me back to my original problem with HotS - I don't know who it's aimed at other than current Blizzard fans. Dota players won't want to touch it because its nothing like the genre, League players won't want it because it's even more basic than League. I simply have my doubts that there's a large audience for these types of games that haven't already invested into either of the big names. So that essentially leaves the players who want it simply because it has WoW or Starcraft characters in it.

It's designed to suck a little extra money out of the Blizzard fan base that's addicted to the art, lore, and the characters. I'd imagine they would want to make a game that could draw in these players in their WoW, D3, or SC2 downtime for a couple matches, keep it as easy to pick up and play as possible, and make it so the game does not feel overly difficult or become frustrating. Sit down with your guild mates and shoot the shit before or after your WoW raid type of thing. Then put microtransactions in it.

I'd like to believe that they're trying to make a decent game, but I just can't based on these reactions and what I've watched of the game. Combine this with them draining out the defining abilities of the WoW classes in favor of streamlined
homogenized
gameplay and I am running low on optimism.

xanavi

I always feel like you have to go one or the other though. I'm taking either 4-4-0-0 or 4-0-4-0 at 8. March is great dive protection for yourself if you have it maxed, as well as for teammates once you have BoTs. I never feel like it is worth it to have one point in anything for a while, when you could put it in one of the other skills.

Also I'm assuming that when your say 7-9 minute BoTs, you get Soul Ring after them? I've personally always been a fan of getting SR before. Just feels like the safest route to me.

Pooled tangos and 3 branches into a bottle then the bots recipe, brown boots and then soul ring.

I will usually go out of my way to play safer as I approach the 2k for the recipe so I pretty much never end up dying before I get at least that.

I like keeping the laser at 1 in early stages because it's really cheap on mana. I can use marches and not ever have to worry about if I have enough mana to blind someone like an invoker when he goes to cold snap me.

As for maxing rockets I think rockets is the better skill to have immediately upon getting your bots because at that point, the people in the lanes are around level 6 and are just about out of regen. You can then teleport to these lanes and give them a double shot of rockets which is 520 magical damage on up to two targets while staying out of trouble. Whereas with laser you have to get in close enough where they can potentially retaliate.

Also, if you manage to get a regen rune you can be a real asshole with rearm rockets, provided you can maintain vision.

BeesEight

It's designed to suck a little extra money out of the Blizzard fan base that's addicted to the art, lore, and the characters. I'd imagine they would want to make a game that could draw in these players in their WoW, D3, or SC2 downtime for a couple matches, keep it as easy to pick up and play as possible, and make it so the game does not feel overly difficult or become frustrating. Sit down with your guild mates and shoot the shit before or after your WoW raid type of thing. Then put microtransactions in it.

I'd like to believe that they're trying to make a decent game, but I just can't based on these reactions and what I've watched of the game. Combine this with them draining out the defining abilities of the WoW classes in favor of streamlined
homogenized
gameplay and I am running low on optimism.

Yeah, I think you're right. I've never played WoW or D3, so I didn't realize there was enough downtime between activities in those that would allow a game or so of HotS to be played. I suppose that's okay for Blizzard then since HotS won't be cannibalizing the other games but, as you said, sucking just a bit more money from the established players.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Yeah, I think you're right. I've never played WoW or D3, so I didn't realize there was enough downtime between activities in those that would allow a game or so of HotS to be played. I suppose that's okay for Blizzard then since HotS won't be cannibalizing the other games but, as you said, sucking just a bit more money from the established players.

Well it's not so much downtime between as it would be breaking up monotony. For example, run a long Diablo session, grab a hots game or two with your party, then jump back in, play some tough SC2 ladder games and then relax with some Raynor, or whatever, afterwards, or the WoW raid thing I mentioned in the previous post.

Renoir

Do you seriously want Roshan to be like it was Diretide all the time? No one would get Aegis.
Im just saying..
Can any one in LoL solo baron? No one could when i used to play ( that was when Zyra came out). But roshan ... man. Roshan can get murked at lvl 1.
Hupsel, Inkls, and i played a game with WK, and the bear.. of course. Lvl1 rosh.
ok. we learned our lesson. NOW were PARANOID As FOK!

inkls is the one with the mic.. thats how the game goes now when we see ursa on the line up.

6:12 min inkls: I think hes roshin
6:56 min inkls: I think hes roshin
8:12 min inkls: I think hes roshin, some one get wards
9:12 min inkls: I think hes roshin, check the pit

We massacred that bear. Never again. said Inkls.. never again..

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
HOTS recently implemented a system that caps the player level advantage to 3 (enemy can never be more than 3 levels higher than you).

That's the equivalent of 1 level in dota... think about that for a minute... Now delete all items from dota. Think about that.

Quesa

So I've been watching replays trying to learn from them and my big issue continues to be that it's difficult to learn what to take away from them and what not to take away. I see ward wars going on and I'm not 100 percent on whether the spots they're using are good or if I should plant my sents in the same places they are, since I see that a lot of ward wars revolve around an I-know-you-know-that-I-know mentality. Also if someone does something I haven't seen before but it doesn't work entirely, or builds a specific item before another, I still have a tough time contextualizing it in the frame of the lineup-vs-lineup stuff. I still think I'm learning something from watching them but it's tough to know what I should be picking up, what to look for when I'm watching to learn a specific role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom