• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian7

It's supposed to be a shield, but it's never quite looked like one

I don't know why the aegis looks all spooky and evil though, it seems something that grants immortality would look holy and precious, not sinister.
It's the remains of Roshan though. It's that thing in the center of his head.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I've been watching replays trying to learn from them and my big issue continues to be that it's difficult to learn what to take away from them and what not to take away. I see ward wars going on and I'm not 100 percent on whether the spots they're using are good or if I should plant my sents in the same places they are, since I see that a lot of ward wars revolve around an I-know-you-know-that-I-know mentality. Also if someone does something I haven't seen before but it doesn't work entirely, or builds a specific item before another, I still have a tough time contextualizing it in the frame of the lineup-vs-lineup stuff. I still think I'm learning something from watching them but it's tough to know what I should be picking up, what to look for when I'm watching to learn a specific role.
Don't ward in the same spot you deward

Wok

Something which I have discovered recently is that when you have an empty bottle and you store a rune, then you can use the rune at any time (of course), and more importantly, the bottle will be replenished. Now that I know this, owning a bottle gets a lot more viable.

So I've been watching replays trying to learn from them and my big issue continues to be that it's difficult to learn what to take away from them and what not to take away. I see ward wars going on and I'm not 100 percent on whether the spots they're using are good or if I should plant my sents in the same places they are, since I see that a lot of ward wars revolve around an I-know-you-know-that-I-know mentality. Also if someone does something I haven't seen before but it doesn't work entirely, or builds a specific item before another, I still have a tough time contextualizing it in the frame of the lineup-vs-lineup stuff. I still think I'm learning something from watching them but it's tough to know what I should be picking up, what to look for when I'm watching to learn a specific role.
Read 8-12 (not 10 tho) of these: http://team-ehug.com/articles/

Being creative is the best solution to teams who actively deward.

Until they get a gem.

Razzer

Something which I have discovered recently is that when you have an empty bottle and you store a rune, then you can use the rune at any time (of course), and more importantly, the bottle will be replenished. Now that I know this, owning a bottle gets a lot more viable.

You just learned this? I thought you'd been playing for ages.

Hylian7

...Doto 101 broseph...

Baha

If you give your bottle to a team mate that's tped in from your fountain, they can refill it if you give it to them before the fountain healing wears off.

Ketch

HOTS recently implemented a system that caps the player level advantage to 3 (enemy can never be more than 3 levels higher than you).

That's the equivalent of 1 level in dota... think about that for a minute... Now delete all items from dota. Think about that.

Now apply the slow from rod of atos and the debuff from bane's enfeeble....

Acinixys

HOTS recently implemented a system that caps the player level advantage to 3 (enemy can never be more than 3 levels higher than you).

That's the equivalent of 1 level in dota... think about that for a minute... Now delete all items from dota. Think about that.

Wut

Dota level means nothing though?

Wait, do you mean DURING A GAME? wtf is that

Wut

Dota level means nothing though?

Wait, do you mean DURING A GAME? wtf is that
Yeah. But it's a team level. You all share the same level. So your team can drag you down as hard as you can carry them. Think of it like meepo levels where if you leave some just standing around you're not doing great.

Also it doesn't technically lock you to 3 levels below/above. It just gives the lower level team a slow xp trickle at that point. The other team can continue to level faster.

Granted if you're ahead by two levels at any point the game is fucking over and you have nothing to do but fart around until they (or more likely whatever shitty map thing) just pushes you in.

Also that dev is terrible at posting on boards after skimming that thread. A whole lot of certainties and this and that will and won't and didn't. Needs to be more shouldn't and we don't thinks going on. He just automatically assumes that a change in balance on one map is due to different changes and not the overall balance. You don't get to assume that.

Hylian7

When the fuck did they do this?

More importantly WHY the fuck did they do this? This is so stupid.

When the fuck did they do this?

More importantly WHY the fuck did they do this? This is so stupid.
I'm assuming they did it as an anti "snowballing" and "pro" turtling measure (helping the team trapped inside). I can't find the logic in it though. Like I said if you're a level and a half ahead it's already over and there is no turtling whatsoever I could find since you're handing the other team objectives by standing in your base where they will just get more pushing and levels. I can't see it doing anything.

Yeah. But it's a team level. You all share the same level. So your team can drag you down as hard as you can carry them.

Also it doesn't technically lock you to 3 levels below/above. It just gives the lower level team a slow xp trickle at that point. The other team can continue to level faster.

Granted if you're ahead by two levels at any point the game is fucking over and you have nothing to do but fart around until they (or more likely whatever shitty map thing) just pushes you in.

Also that dev is terrible at posting on boards after skimming that thread. A whole lot of certainties and this and that will and won't and didn't. Needs to be more shouldn't and we don't thinks going on. He just automatically assumes that a change in balance on one map is due to different changes and not the overall balance. You don't get to assume that.

Yeah I saw a couple posts in that thread talking saying it's not a good idea to push if you're ahead a few levels, which just lengthens games in a really stupid way. It seems like it's really hard to win a game based on a succesful early game, instead every game gets artificially lengthened to make it seem like it goes down to the wire.

Newcomers might like this, but as they get better at the game but can't make any more of a difference than they did before they'll get frustrated and will wonder what the point is to getting better, and rightfully so.

HotS is F2P, so the point isn't getting as many players as possible to play it, it's to keep as many players as possible engaged so they eventually start spending money on, well everything. Right now it does exactly the opposite.

Quesa

I'm assuming they did it as an anti "snowballing" and "pro" turtling measure (helping the team trapped inside). I can't find the logic in it though. Like I said if you're a level and a half ahead it's already over and there is no turtling whatsoever I could find since you're handing the other team objectives by standing in your base where they will just get more pushing and levels. I can't see it doing anything.

Look they can't give gzzz's sniper to every team that can't leave base for 20 min ok this is game design 101 everyone has to believe they're the best or ur done

Ketch

See Diablo 3 for another example.

Your farm as Alchemist was very underwhelming. Gotta hit them creeps harder son.

I played support to the specter even tho I picked first. Made it work anyway and we still won.

Edit: Steve knows.

shira

Finally
blog_immortals_ti4.jpg

shira

eleven new Immortal items/two rare rewards
- dk
- puck
- lion
- death prophet
- sniper
- storm spirit
- dk
- ?
- ?
- ?
- ?

Ketch

I'm getting "page not found error" from that link

edit: I'm going to the post office and the bank... if immortal items aren't in the game when I get back you're all playing HotS for the rest of the weekend!

༼▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽NOTHING HAPPENED༼ ▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom