• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guru-Guru

Banned
This Alliance-Fnatic game is fun so far.

Man, I told myself I was going to quit Dota 2 and start doing real life shit again...3 weeks later and I am already back.

shira

Did you really just call shane a dadskyl awful? I am so upset with you right now.
Looks like Icefrog isn't down with their ELI5 little Nicky tricasting.
Adam-Sandler-Little-Nicky.6.jpg

Wok

Somehow, when I play against Slark, he easily kills people 1 vs 1 or 1 vs 2, yet when I play Slark, I do very poorly. How am I supposed to use Slark's spells?

There has to be a secret of some sort, just as with Legion Commander (going Phase Boots, Armlet, Blink Dagger, and Assault Cuirass allows me to win every duel). I cannot believe I had been playing LC in the jungle, while she is such a good hero in lanes with her Q.

sixghost

Somehow, when I play against Slark, he easily kills people 1 vs 1 or 1 vs 2, yet when I play Slark, I do very poorly. How am I supposed to use Slark's spells?

There has to be a secret of some sort, just as with Legion Commander (going Phase Boots, Armlet, Blink Dagger, and Assault Cuirass allows me to win every duel). I cannot believe I had been playing LC in the jungle, while she is such a good hero in lanes with her Q.

Hit your leap, time your Q properly to dispel and stun you might get hit with, use your ult if things get dicey and you need to finish a kill under a tower or in a group of enemies, then leap out. Like everything else in Dota the hard part is knowing when you can go after a kill and when you should run away.

Razzer

Slark really is quite situational with his item build. I guess the first thing is make sure you are maxing pounce. I was against a sniper mid yesterday and killed him like 3 times in 3 mins just by pouncing the fucker. Against other heroes, you would have to whittle them down a bit first. Then when you have items to buy, you could go basher, blink, S&Y, drums etc. Skadi is amazing on him after you have 1 other item.

As for using skills, when you pounce someone with a stun, use dark pact. 9 times outta ten they will panic and stun you straight away. If you time it right you spend no time stunned. Then if backup arrives or you are tower diving use the ult to secure the kill and get the fuck outta there.

In fights, try to move in and out all the time. Pounce has a low cooldown, as does dark pact, and with all your stolen stats it's very good to do damage, leave and regen, then regoose.

Edit: Heh, sixghost's description of killing is basically identical to mine.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Slark is kind of self explanatory. W -> Q -> Right click -> W. R whenever you need to dive, chase a little more or get out.

There is no secret to it. It's just a matter of being able to recognize an easy kill and a difficult one. 2-2-1 if opposite side is squishy, 1-3-1 if not. OoV -> Treads -> Shadowblade/Orchid.

Watch your replays, or have some one else do it. When you aren't actually playing, you can sit back and notice how retarded you were at times. Then, hopefully, the idea is to not make the same mistakes.

Except sometimes I know for a fact that it wasn't my playing. As in, somehow an enemy in the bottom lane (when I am top lane) will get farmed and then steamroll the entire team during teamfights. Or is this simply not something that happens and somehow I alone could have prevented it?

sixghost

Except sometimes I know for a fact that it wasn't my playing. As in, somehow an enemy in the bottom lane (when I am top lane) will get farmed and then steamroll the entire team during teamfights. Or is this simply not something that happens and somehow I alone could have prevented it?

Try not to get in the mentality of "well I won my lane and mid/bot fucked it all up." Maybe they are just bad, or maybe they got stuck with a terrible lane. If mid gets ganked or solo killed and you are the support, buy a smoke and go gank mid or buy a tp and get ready to tp in to turn a kill around. You should constantly be thinking about how you can help other lanes if you are doing well and others are struggling.

Try not to get in the mentality of "well I won my lane and mid/bot fucked it all up." Maybe they are just bad, or maybe they got stuck with a terrible lane. If mid gets ganked or solo killed and you are the support, buy a smoke and go gank mid or buy a tp and get ready to tp in to turn a kill around.

Hmm, focusing on stuff outside my lane is a bit above my skill level right now. I certainly would have helped had mid asked. But I don't know if I'd be able to go "yeah I should have abandoned my dude up top to go to mid at the 14:32 mark" just by watching replays of myself. And if I am top and bottom is having trouble, how do I know I'll make the trek over there in time? Or that using a TP scroll to get there wont end up being a waste because I may need the TP scroll even more later on?

I've also played support and specifically pointed out warded runes to my mid. And then mid just ignores them. Even if it is a regeneration rune and mid is close to death or has no mana. It is exceptionally difficult for a new player to differentiate where they went wrong vs where the team went from by not communicating/listening to eachother.

sixghost

Hmm, focusing on stuff outside my lane is a bit above my skill level right now. I certainly would have helped had mid asked. But I don't know if I'd be able to go "yeah I should have abandoned my dude up top to go to mid at the 14:32 mark" just by watching replays of myself. And if I am top and bottom is having trouble, how do I know I'll make the trek over there in time? Or that using a TP scroll to get there wont end up being a waste because I may need the TP scroll even more later on?

The only way you learn stuff like that is by trying it. If you are the support it's your job to look for these sort of opportunities so don't wait for mid to ask you to gank, just buy the smoke and do it. If you're in a trilane with another support just tell them to follow you.

Smoke ganks really aren't that complicated once you've done them a few times. Here's a image someone on reddit threw together that simplifies it. The basic idea behind a smoke gank is to pop the smoke outside of common ward areas, use the invis of the smoke to stay out of the opponents vision in case they have a ward covering the path you take, then get behind the enemy hero mid to stun/nuke/slow them, and hopefully kill them.

The most difficult part of a smoke is when you get to the lane and the creep equilibrium is either under the tower or on the enemy's high ground. It's much harder to kill the guy when this is the case since you'll take a ton of damage if you have to chase the kill under a tower, and the other team can tp right on top of the gank. When this happens you just try to be patient and stand outside of the smoke reveal range, which is roughly a screen's width, and hope the lane pushes, or you can ask your mid to kill the creep wave as fast as possible and use your creep wave to tank the tower while you dive.

RVZRk0u.png

That's probably not a great explanation. Try to get in the habit of doing it at least once a game when you play support and you'll get the hang of it sooner or later. Just keep in mind there are some mid heroes that are much more difficult to gank than others. Storm once he's 6, qop, puck, slark, brewmaster once he's 6, naga once she's 6. That's all stuff you have to learn though.

The only way you learn stuff like that is by trying it. If you are the support it's your job to look for these sort of opportunities so don't wait for mid to ask you to gank, just buy the smoke and do it. If you're in a trilane with another support just tell them to follow you.

This is all new stuff to me. Thanks for the information. Hopefully I can find someone to practice it with, since it seems dependent on mid cooperating with me and anticipating/participating in the gank.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
Oh god this event is so good. A bit sad at fnatic droping to loser bracket but meeting all the players and getting to sit front and centre infront of n0tail is amazing.

I wish they didnt pick wisp again. I love steve but I miss era. :(

sixghost

This is all new stuff to me. Thanks for the information. Hopefully I can find someone to practice it with, since it seems dependent on mid cooperating with me and anticipating/participating in the gank.

Even the dumbest mid in the world will help out if you get the stun off. Most new players don't look at their minimap ever, so say something like "smoking mid" or "omw mid" once you are getting close, then spam pings once you are going in for the stun. Another thing you can do as a support is check rune spawns at 2/4/6, etc. Sometimes that can result in an easy kill if both mids are racing to the rune.

FACE

Banned
Oh god this event is so good. A bit sad at fnatic droping to loser bracket but meeting all the players and getting to sit front and centre infront of n0tail is amazing.

I wish they didnt pick wisp again. I love steve but I miss era. :(

I hope they get knocked out as punishment for picking Tinker.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Beast master making a comeback? Already been picked in a couple of games. That hero is pretty good, 3 second stun at level 6 its no joke.

Even the dumbest mid in the world will help out if you get the stun off. Most new players don't look at their minimap ever, so say something like "smoking mid" or "omw mid" once you are getting close, then spam pings once you are going in for the stun. Another thing you can do as a support is check rune spawns at 2/4/6, etc. Sometimes that can result in an easy kill if both mids are racing to the rune.

So runes spawn every two minutes? Good to know. And yeah, if I play support I try to ward the jungle I am close to (to prevent ganks) and one of the rune spots.

I will admit to not knowing how to ward later in the game, especially if the team is behind and everyone is in different lanes.

Chris R

So runes spawn every two minutes? Good to know. And yeah, if I play support I try to ward the jungle I am close to (to prevent ganks) and one of the rune spots.

I will admit to not knowing how to ward later in the game, especially if the team is behind and everyone is in different lanes.

Runes spawn at the x0, x2, x4, x6, x8 minute marks of games. So if you pick up a rune at 17:55 you can get lucky and get one at 18:00 too.

sixghost

A good rule of thumb is if you are winning, ward the enemy jungle. If you are losing, ward your own jungle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom