• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT8| DOTA Asian Championship (1/27-2/9)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delete them both. That's consistent.

+1

both are trash. if the community was emotional enough to get cowboy hat ursa removed, why does a skateboard and a hockey stick get through now? And we've seen a steady creep of questionable sets and items over the last year or so, whether the items themselves (like pumpkin heads couriers and wild sets like the kitty Drow) or their colors (which diverge heavily from the previous philosophy of using the existing color palette). I thought this game was trying to *not* be TF2/League, and yet there are a number of signs that seem to point to a gradual increase in more liberal designs. Give it another year and I'm sure it'll be even more interesting and "colorful" on the cosmetic items. I don't mind (who gives a shit, it's a videogame), but again...be consistent.

inkls

Isn't it capped or the gains after a certain point are imperceptible like armor

Thats what I said. Increased attack speed is capped at 500. Beyond that it depends on your BAT.

Normally its (IAS divided 100) divided by BAT iirc. So with 200 ias / by 1.7 you have something like 1.17 attack per second.

unless its the opposite where its BAT divided by IAS/100.

Demoli

I always feel like couriers should get a free pass from the rules, since their appearance and immediate visual recognition is nowhere near as important as a hero's.

shira

Thats what I said. Increased attack speed is capped at 500. Beyond that it depends on your BAT.

Normally its (IAS divided 100) divided by BAT iirc. So with 200 ias / by 1.7 you have something like 1.17 attack per second.

unless its the opposite where its BAT divided by IAS/100.
Is there really a difference if ogre is 6 slotted with mjolnir and ac, pops mom and is blooodlusted?

sixghost

Attack speed has a cap, but armor isn't really. the gains you get in survivability increases linearly with armor rating.

I don't think this is true. Unless I misunderstand what you are saying, the value of a point of armor decays pretty rapidly around 10.

Vaporak

I don't think this is true. Unless I misunderstand what you are saying, the value of a point of armor decays pretty rapidly around 10.

Nope, every single point of armor gives the exact same survivability servus physical damage, equal to 6% of your maximum hp.

Jebusman

Banned

It does, but at the same time, it helps circumvent any negative armor effects like Deso/AC/Slardar. So with 30-40 points in Armor, outside of stacking 5 or 6 armor debuffs (Or a Deso/AC/Medallion Slardar), you're not dropping below 60% reduction anytime soon.

Can you explain?

This is what I'm looking at.
http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Armor

On that very page, it explains it in the "Armor Stacking" section.

patapuf

I've started to use Ancient Aparition a bit and i'm not sure how to skill/item build him.

Obviously chilling touch is great in lane but when do i want cold feet early and when is ice vortex better?

Item wise i usually go for euls, or urn/forcestaff and then aghs if i can afford it. Is there any other item that's really good on him?

xanavi

I guess I just don't understand how EHP is calculated, because that doesn't make sense to me.

Look at the equation for EHP.

Effective HP = Total HP × (Armor points × 0.06 + 1)

This is the same as saying

y = C*(x*0.06+1)

which is linear.

The confusion probably comes form looking at the damage reduction formula which is different and not linear.

Damage reduction = ((0.06 × armor) ÷ (1 + 0.06 × armor))

Which is

y = ((0.06*x)/(1+0.06*x)

not linear.

Razzer

I've started to use Ancient Aparition a bit and i'm not sure how to skill/item build him.

Obviously chilling touch is great in lane but when do i want cold feet early and when is ice vortex better?

Item wise i usually go for euls, or urn/forcestaff and then aghs if i can afford it. Is there any other item that's really good on him?

Veil can be good.

Jebusman

Banned
I guess I just don't understand how EHP is calculated, because that doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not very good at explaining things but this was how I've always seen it, non equation edition.

Imagine a scenario with P1 having 1000HP, and P2 having 100 damage.

It would take P2 10 hits to kill P1 with 0 armor. Simple enough, 100 damage x 10 hit = 1000hp.

Now let's add 1 point of armor to P1, which would give him 5.7% damage reduction. This means that every time P2 hits him, he'll do 5.7% less damage a hit, only dealing 94.3 damage a hit.

Now this means P2 will need 11 hits (10.6 rounded up) to kill P1. Since P2 is "supposed" to be doing 100 damage per hit normally, we can say that P1 has 1060 "Effective" HP, since it took 6% more hits (10 to 10.6) to kill him.

With 2 armor (10.7% reduction), P2 needs 12 hits (11.198 rounded up) (89.3 damage per hit), which is 1119/1120HP (12% more hits from 10).

3 armor (15.3%), P2 needs 12 hits (11.8 rounded up) (84.7 damage per hit), which is 1180HP (18% more hits from 10).

And onwards and onwards.

Even though the gap in damage reduction is being reduced as the armor goes up, the amount of extra "Effective HP" you receive is still the same for each point of armor.. If the armor reduction was the same amount each point of armor, it would spin wildly out of control, and by 18 Armor you would achieve invincibility.

Edit: This is also why that double ring of protection build got popular. At 500HP, 3 armor gives you an effective 90HP more. 2 Rings (6 armor) would give you 180HP. That costs less than a Belt of Strength (400g VS 450g), and the belt only gives you 114HP flat. The math gets even better in the ring's favor the more base HP you have.

Edit2: The only time this isn't a good idea is against magic damage, since your armor means nothing and you need all the flat HP you can get.

inkls

y = C*(x*0.06+1)

which is linear.

The confusion probably comes form looking at the damage reduction formula which is different and not linear.

Which is

y = ((0.06*x)/(1+0.06*x)

not linear.

How do you factor in evasion, magic resistance, dmg block and medusa shield?

Jebusman

Banned
How do you factor in evasion, magic resistance, dmg block and medusa shield?

Damage block happens before armor reduction. So you would first subtract the block value from the damage value, then do the armor equation. That's the only one I know. I have no fucking clue how evasion and shit is supposed to work.

Wok

I have tried this really nice build for PA, and it works wonder. The gameplay is a lot smoother for me at least, rather than the usual stalemate I feel when I am building Basher. Medallion is core.

The build: http://jjcm.org/blog/how_to_play_pa/
d5ypaoP.png

The first and only game in which I have tried it: http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1047954012
s2oZLIC.png

Damage block happens before armor reduction. So you would first subtract the block value from the damage value, then do the armor equation. That's the only one I know. I have no fucking clue how evasion and shit is supposed to work.

Pretty sure it's the other way around, damage block always works far better on high armor heroes, because they negate whats "left" of the damage after armor reduction.

Jebusman

Banned
Pretty sure it's the other way around, damage block always works far better on high armor heroes, because they negate whats "left" of the damage after armor reduction.

I might be thinking of damage block triggering before certain reductions, not the damage reduction itself. I know there's a weird interaction with how that works.

Edit: No, every source I check says damage block triggers BEFORE armor. It essentially reduces the incoming damage by the block amount, to then be calculated by the armor reduction. Because that would make shit like Pipe absolutely broken. Reduce the magic damage THEN apply to the 400 damage limit of Pipe? Good lord.

Vaporak

Here's some Math I just wrote out if you or anyone else cares why it is the way it is instead of just reading off a table or extrapolating from some examples.

First lets lead with an example: Lets say you have a hero with 100hp and 1 armor. Then from the table given on that page you will have 5.7% damage reduction, meaning you take 1-.057 = .943 of real damage per point of physical damage. Then you will need to do 100/(.943) = 106.04 (approximate) damage in order to do 100 real damage and kill the hero. For 2 armor you get 10.7% damage reduction, or 1-.107 = .893 damage per point of physical damage, meaning you have to do 100/(.893) = 111.98 (approximate) damage to get the kill, notice the amount of damage you need has approximately doubled, and is about 2 times 6.04, which was the 6% of hp figure I mentioned earlier.

Now here the real math without the approximations:

From the previous link you can see that damage reduction is defined in dota as:

DR = ((0.06 * armor) / (1 + 0.06 * armor))

so we can see we get HP/(1-DR) = the amount of physical damage we need to do. Expanding we get:

HP/ (1 - ((0.06 * armor) / (1 + 0.06 * armor)).

We can substitute (1 + 0.06 * armor)/ (1 + 0.06 * armor) for the 1 in the previous equation to simplify the subtraction in order to get :

HP/ ((1 + 0.06 * armor)/ (1 + 0.06 * armor) - ((0.06 * armor) / (1 + 0.06 * armor)). So that now we have a common denominator and can subtract the fractions. Doing so we get

HP/ (1/(1+ 0.06* armor), and since division by fractions is the same as multiplying by the fraction but inverted, we get that our equation is equivalent to:

HP* (1+ 0.06* armor), which you can see is equal to HP + (0.06*armor*HP), means that the amount of physical damage needed to overcome a certain amount of DR is equivalent to 6% of your hp per point of armor.

basically this is totally on point:

Haunted

y = C*(x*0.06+1)

which is linear.

Which is

y = ((0.06*x)/(1+0.06*x)

not linear.
Here's some Math I just wrote out if you or anyone else cares why it is the way it is instead of just reading off a table or extrapolating from some examples.

First lets lead with an example: Lets say you have a hero with 100hp and 1 armor. Then from the table given on that page you will have 5.7% damage reduction, meaning you take 1-.057 = .943 of real damage per point of physical damage. Then you will need to do 100/(.943) = 106.04 (approximate) damage in order to do 100 real damage and kill the hero. For 2 armor you get 10.7% damage reduction, or 1-.107 = .893 damage per point of physical damage, meaning you have to do 100/(.893) = 111.98 (approximate) damage to get the kill, notice the amount of damage you need has approximately doubled, and is about 2 times 6.04, which was the 6% of hp figure I mentioned earlier.

Now here the real math without the approximations:

From the previous link you can see that damage reduction is defined in dota as:

DR = ((0.06 * armor) / (1 + 0.06 * armor))

so we can see we get HP/(1-DR) = the amount of physical damage we need to do. Expanding we get:

HP/ (1 - ((0.06 * armor) / (1 + 0.06 * armor)).

We can substitute (1 + 0.06 * armor)/ (1 + 0.06 * armor) for the 1 in the previous equation to simplify the subtraction in order to get :

HP/ ((1 + 0.06 * armor)/ (1 + 0.06 * armor) - ((0.06 * armor) / (1 + 0.06 * armor)). So that now we have a common denominator and can subtract the fractions. Doing so we get

HP/ (1/(1+ 0.06* armor), and since division by fractions is the same as multiplying by the fraction but inverted, we get that our equation is equivalent to:

HP* (1+ 0.06* armor), which you can see is equal to HP + (0.06*armor*HP), means that the amount of physical damage needed to overcome a certain amount of DR is equivalent to 6% of your hp per point of armor.

basically this is totally on point:

WZOmmY9.gif

I don't get it

here you go, bro

http://devilesk.com/dota2/apps/hero-calculator/

enjoy your stay.

Thanks to this, I found out why I felt like a raid boss

33,000 EHP.

:3333

I don't think that thing is accurate when it comes to medusa, for one thing turning the shield on increases EHP by only x2 which isn't right in 6.82, but also it doesn't take into account whether you actually have the mana to cover your hp pool. (i.e. it says medusa with 2 hearts has more EHP than medusa with 2 skadis).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom