• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT8| DOTA Asian Championship (1/27-2/9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Guys, when would be the best time to get drums on Mirana?

What items should i get if I'm behind on farm/items (in carry i mean)

I don't think you should ever buy drums on her, your survivability is going to come from leap and your positioning earlier in the game rather than hp for taking the hits. That and her auto attack damage is on the low end, so if you want to approach right-clicking relevance you can't afford to skip out on damage.

Regardless of farming speed I really like aquila -> yasha, if you're farming well add in a midas ahead of time. Aquila gives you much needed mana regen and extra damage with some stats sprinkled in, yasha gives you more mobility and more damage, exactly what she needs. If you're still behind stick to value items like maelstrom, deso, or even crystalis.

Later on you're going to need HP of course, and that will come from Manta, bkb if you need it, and I really like skadi. I might be biased on that last one, but it's my favorite item ever. Obviously can't get this if you went deso, so account for that ahead of time.

The other train of thought on her is building up stats and utilize her nukes to come back in the game, but I think it's a short sighted approach the doesn't give you as much in the long run. Her nukes will always be there, you just won't be able to use them as often early in the game.

Falk

that puzzling face
Most of his advantage right now seems to come from people just not understanding what he does (or the implications when his abilities are used in conjunction, etc). Moreso than virtually every hero added to Dota2 ever, really. Even Earth Spirit.

TUSR

Banned

Never build drums.
If you are behind look to Maelstrom or Deso

Later on you're going to need HP of course, and that will come from Manta, bkb if you need it, and I really like skadi. I might be biased on that last one, but it's my favorite item ever. Obviously can't get this if you went deso, so account for that ahead of time.

Do you ever build Crystalys->Skadi->Daed?

You know, as op as Oracle sounds on paper, I think he may really need a buff.
hell no.

Can I get some advice and critique on this match? Much appreciated if I get some extra eyeballs on this game...especially leading up to late game and late game...

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1046281642. I was slark btw.

It's frustrating when you get a decent start and just fall apart late game. I know I probably made a ton of errors but I felt like I was snowballing properly and then they just steamrolled us. I thought I did a decent job shutting down PA but lo and behold....her GPM is still 600+...

*clicks*

*sees fat PA; looks at PA items*

*sees PA with 85% evasion*

*checks radiant items*

*sees no MKB and carries with < 200cs in 50 minutes*

*closes browser tab*

Quick thoughts from the score screen:

1.)When playing carry (especially a gank-happy carry), don't forget your team needs you to farm. <200cs in a 50 minute match is pretty low, so try to practice making sure you're getting value out of each minute. With Slark, you can nuke down waves with your W. Make sure you're using it constantly. I find that people get gank-crazy when playing an elusive carry like Slark or Riki.

I call it, "Riki Syndrome", and it's defined by players who hit a key level (usually 6) and stop farming to instead look for pickoffs. Finding few (or maybe even none), they look up at 30 minutes and realize they have 20 minute items and are now 10 minutes behind in item progression, at which point it becomes very difficult to come back. Just one of the trappings of playing those kinds of heroes that you have to be conscious of at all times. Just because you can try to fight all the time doesn't mean you should.

2.) What was up with Sniper? Treads --> Dom --> Daedalus and half a Shadowblade is all he could muster @ 50 minutes? Was he just mindlessly autoattacking creeps? I don't really understand how a Sniper can only manage 120cs in 50 minutes. Then again, Spectre didn't do any better and her items are even worse than Snipers, so that bad play was offset. Blink would have been great for Sniper in that game along with some attack speed and an MKB.

3.) So LC and PA were the big problems. WR made the right purchase by going Euls to slow down LC's dueling potential. Team probably could have used another Euls on someone.

4.) Further itemization: No sheep was in progress for anyone on the team. Sheep is the definitive late-game item against a team of auto-attacking cores. Sheep would have disabled all of PA's evasion for the duration of the hex.

5.) Pugna pick: fairly useless against that team. Dire was in no way reliant on their abilities to do damage (team is basically all autoattackers), and Dire's burst potential is too strong for Pugna's ult to heal any teammates. In a match like this, all Pugna is good for is pushing towers and Decripifying dueled allies...but he has no tower damage and I get the feeling he didn't save too many allies with Decripify either. I assume the player didn't know the Q works on buildings or otherwise never plays the hero. He did his best trying to keep people alive it seems which is honorable, but that shit falls off fast against that kind of burst. Instead of Aghs, he really should have rushed a Sheep stick. Yes Aghs gives you the ult up on a 0-second cooldown, but his ultimate ability is a "slow burn" if you will, and is really only strong against team comps that can't 2-shot you. His dagon purchase is regrettable.

6.) Slark (you) did commendable damage, but if you had spent more time farming, you would have been able to do more damage still. In a 50-minute game with Slark you must *at least* have your skadi and abyssal (in this case, an MKB) up and running. Allow no excuse for yourself. You didn't farm enough. You were clearly quite effective in all team fights and pickoffs as they presented themselves, but without items you can't outcarry a team full of carries. Your recognized goal should have been to make sure you get your Skadi up at a reasonable pace, followed by basher/MKB, then MKB/basher (get one, then the other), then Abyssal.

BKB was the wrong choice in this game. Looking at their heroes, I don't see any thing BKB helps you avoid other than an X-torrent-boat combo. LC ult goes through BKB, Kunkka splash goes through BKB. Pudge ult goes through BKB. So what was your thinking when buying it? That's an expensive investment to stop just Kunkka's stuff and slows your farming ability significantly.

Also, when playing Doto always be aware of who the emerging threats are and what they're buying. When they're on the minimap, look at their items and discuss item builds with teammates to coordinate appropriate responses. Letting PA get away with 85% evasion just can't happen. I know it does happen, but you'll seen enough PA games going forward to make sure this doesn't happen again. Be vocal about the need for MKB's at the start of a match if need be.

7.) Nobody on the team bought a ghost scepter. This would have helped the supports survive a bit longer vs all that autoattack damage.

8.) Looking at the XP earned graph...41 minutes...I assume that's when PA's items started getting her ultra kills. Out-itemized, boys.

Acinixys

Mirana is very strong in the early/mid game, and can be a monster late as well

Drums helps her move into the midgame easily and team fight earlier. The MS from a drum charge has saved me MANY times. Leap + Drums gives you insane move speed and lets you easily chase/escape

Phase - Aquila - Drums - Yasha - Manta - Maelstrom - BKB/MKB/Crit etc depending on the game is probably the easiest build up

I have to disagree with Pro the drums are bad on Mirana. Stats are always good.

I call it, "Riki Syndrome", and it's defined by players who hit a key level (usually 6) and stop farming to instead look for pickoffs. Finding few (or maybe even none), they look up at 30 minutes and realize they have 20 minute items and are now 10 minutes behind in item progression, at which point it becomes very difficult to come back. Just one of the trappings of playing those kinds of heroes that you have to be conscious of at all times. Just because you can try to fight all the time doesn't mean you should.

This annoys me to no end when I solo queue

The carry aimlessly wandering between lanes for 10 minutes, not farming or being useful makes my blood boil

TUSR

Banned
Mirana is very strong in the early/mid game, and can be a monster late as well

Drums helps her move into the midgame easily and team fight earlier. The MS from a drum charge has saved me MANY times. Leap + Drums gives you insane move speed and lets you easily chase/escape

Phase - Aquila - Drums - Yasha - Manta - Maelstrom - BKB/MKB/Crit etc depending on the game is probably the easiest build up

Maelstrom after Manta?

Wouldn't the reverse order be faster to achieve, you won't need your Manta up that quickly with Drums+Phase+Yasha.

Acinixys

Maelstrom after Manta?

Wouldn't the reverse order be faster to achieve, you won't need your Manta up that quickly with Drums+Phase+Yasha.

Its not a set in stone build

You can totally go Yasha - Maelstrom - Manta

I just feel that by the time you have your core items at 20 mins or so manta is really strong, especially vs a team with lots of silences

When SingSing plays Mirana he almost always goes Manta 1st. I guess I just like having the illusions to scout rosh/jungle and runes and to try bait spells

The ammount of BS you can pull with an early Manta is pretty funny. Baiting Leigon into Duel and Bane into Fiends Grip etc is always worth it

ViviOggi

I'd simply skip Maelstrom if the circumstances demanded an early Manta. There are just better items to save up for later into the game, but it's really strong for farming, dps and pushing when purchased early.

TUSR

Banned
Its not a set in stone build

You can totally go Yasha - Maelstrom - Manta

I just feel that by the time you have your core items at 20 mins or so manta is really strong, especially vs a team with lots of silences

Im just biased towards an early Maelstrom on Mirana because of its farming potential

I've been playing a lot of low skill games lately with mid to low 3K buddies and it has really skewed my view on item progression.
(I should have made an alt account to play with them before I tanked my MMR.)

6.) Slark (you) did commendable damage, but if you had spent more time farming, you would have been able to do more damage still. In a 50-minute game with Slark you must *at least* have your skadi and abyssal (in this case, an MKB) up and running. Allow no excuse for yourself. You didn't farm enough. You were clearly quite effective in all team fights and pickoffs as they presented themselves, but without items you can't outcarry a team full of carries. Your recognized goal should have been to make sure you get your Skadi up at a reasonable pace, followed by basher/MKB, then MKB/basher (get one, then the other), then Abyssal.

BKB was the wrong choice in this game. Looking at their heroes, I don't see any thing BKB helps you avoid other than an X-torrent-boat combo. LC ult goes through BKB, Kunkka splash goes through BKB. Pudge ult goes through BKB. So what was your thinking when buying it? That's an expensive investment to stop just Kunkka's stuff and slows your farming ability significantly.

Also, when playing Doto always be aware of who the emerging threats are and what they're buying. When they're on the minimap, look at their items and discuss item builds with teammates to coordinate appropriate responses. Letting PA get away with 85% evasion just can't happen. I know it does happen, but you'll seen enough PA games going forward to make sure this doesn't happen again. Be vocal about the need for MKB's at the start of a match if need be.

7.) Nobody on the team bought a ghost scepter. This would have helped the supports survive a bit longer vs all that autoattack damage.

8.) Looking at the XP earned graph...41 minutes...I assume that's when PA's items started getting her ultra kills. Out-itemized, boys.

1- BKB was a terrible item choice...that was my first thought after playing the game...MKB!!!- /slaps myself in the face...Why didn't I think of that?!?!?! argh...
2- I've been thinking about this a bit. I feel like I'm farming well but I recognize that my CS isn't at the 5/min standard. I constantly tell myself to farm but when I go into farm mode, I miss out on kills and vice versa. I mean slark is probably the easiest to transition since he actually gets health regen while moving from farming range -> battlefield. I generally play support so my first instinct is to jump into battle...

Acinixys

Im just biased towards an early Maelstrom on Mirana because of its farming potential

I've been playing a lot of low skill games lately with mid to low 3K buddies and it has really skewed my view on item progression.
(I should have made an alt account to play with them before I tanked my MMR.)

Mirana needs to gank and fight more than afk farm

Farm heros not creeps bro

W/e no one cares about Canada

Hylian7

With the BKB talk from Dreams analysis of that game, I should mention this PSA again now.

PUDGE HOOK COMPLETELY GOES THROUGH BKB NOW, THE DAMAGE, MINI STUN, PULL, AND EVERYTHING!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
LMAO Bulldog rekt by Volvo

uvA82PS.png

Pratfall

You know, as op as Oracle sounds on paper, I think he may really need a buff.

I will say that this was the arc for earth spirit until people got to know how to play him and then his real brokenness was exposed. Probably too early to call either way but he seems like he is on the verge of being truly broken.

Quesa

Also add all the face masks in all versions of the game, not fair that China's the only country with a different version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom