• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT9| League of Ancients (6.84)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile, poor Slardar and Jakiro still get no love with remodels.

People expecting some huge total redo for Slardar are probably going to be disappointed when he comes out.

He has the same issue Void did, cosmetics that are pretty specific to his core design, so they can't really modify it too much without redoing them all and Slardar has a bunch of items.

With heroes that have cosmetics, doing a remake of them ends up being kind of challenging for them. It's probably one of the reasons, Wraith King looks a little... off, because they had to work around SK's cosmetics (evidently he didn't have nearly as many complicated ones as Void or Slardar had).

Like with Omni, all they did was clean up and recolor his textures, and for the cosmetics all they did was hue-shift them for the most part, and it was all armor, so it didn't restrict his body design at all. Not so with Slardar (or Void), Slardar has form fitting helmets, fin attachments, new tails, etc, that are going to be challenging to work around.

inkls

random though. What if kotl recall also applied current level of chakra magic to the one recalled? or if chakra magic worked like dazzle heal and always self-applied even when cast on others

Acinixys

the other Malaysia LAN games are successful , I have went one. The problem is , the organisers that handling this LAN are new, and they even stated that have no experience, why they did not consult any of other experienced one ? Or maybe test the system or hardware first, so that nothing major fault can happened, which unfortunately did. I feel really bad for the guys who purchased they VIP tickets...many mistake for a 100kUSD competition . Its not the country fault , its the organization incompetence imo. Really hope for a better Day 2

I just went there and wasted like 3-4 hours of looking at a logo instead of playing dota :(

DaTEEV5.jpg

Left: What they want you to believe
Right: Reality

Also lol

tumblr_mqefvfpsI61qbxlyfo1_500.jpg

kionedrik

I understand that the existing cosmetics limit what the developers can do in terms of remodeling an existing character, but lets face reality for a moment, Slardar has one of the worst models in the game.

I may be biased on the subject, since he is one of my most favourite heroes to play, but even a simple texture and/or color palette rework could do wonders for him.

Falk

that puzzling face
the other Malaysia LAN games are successful , I have went one. The problem is , the organisers that handling this LAN are new, and they even stated that have no experience, why they did not consult any of other experienced one ? Or maybe test the system or hardware first, so that nothing major fault can happened, which unfortunately did. I feel really bad for the guys who purchased they VIP tickets...many mistake for a 100kUSD competition . Its not the country fault , its the organization incompetence imo. Really hope for a better Day 2
(

Well, back in the day, I helped organize a shit ton of those, several severely under-budget. The only thing that's really changed is requiring a bullet-proof internet connection, so I have zero idea how things can be as bad as they are right now.

Right now the people in charge seem to be in 'offering a hundred different excuses' mode, along with subtle yet permeating implications that Malaysians need to stick together and support each other and that it's their first LAN so please be understanding (how about, no, you're on an international stage)

I sorely hope they get their shit together.

Acinixys

I understand that the existing cosmetics limit what the developers can do in terms of remodeling an existing character, but lets face reality for a moment, Slardar has one of the worst models in the game.

I may be biased on the subject, since he is one of my most favorite heroes to play, but even a simple texture and/or color palette rework could do wonders for him.

No way. I say fuck the cosmetics and just redesign his from scratch. He looks so shitty and horrible. Must be the only hero who still has his alpha model

Give me this Valve

dota____slardar_the_slithereen_guard_by_geoffrey_e-d4t3t16.jpg

Also lol again:

UNhWY83.jpg

Pls, leave blue Mario alone.

Sorry I couldn't read this post for looking at just how awful the current Zeus model is.

AsnLC2q.png

Nothing about this makes sense, GAF!

Let's run through the design elements here:

• Old man
  • Male-pattern baldness
  • 1800s muttonchops
  • 1930s german motorcycle gloves
  • jacket with the arms cut off to show off Hulk Hogan pythons
  • random-ass green gemstone on his belt, clashing with everything with no reason for its existence
  • aladdin pants
  • blue-capped boots
  • midget

Really, what went on here? How do these elements go together at all? There's styling from at least 5 completely different time periods and cultures (none of which say "Ancient Greek" or "god" to the beholder), and he has a pair of arms that don't match his "super old man" concept.

Nothing is working here. Nothing.

DrPizza

Banned
Let's run through the design elements:

• Blue
  • Mario

Everything about it works.

Also the gem on the belt makes sense given that he's the only hero in the game that has skills that reveal invis.

kionedrik

No way. I say fuck the cosmetics and just redesign his from scratch. He looks so shitty and horrible. Must be the only hero who still has his alpha model

Sadly that's never going to happen, otherwise we'd be left with a bunch of unusable cosmetics and Valve would either have to refund anyone that bought them or redo them to fit the new model. Neither option seems to fit the current Valve MO.

Pls, leave blue Mario alone.

Look at Smite's Zeus:

You really think there's not a problem with Dota's model?

Hupsel

Real question is why there are greek gods and monsters fighting in the same universe as talking hedgehogs and a giant walrus.

DrPizza

Banned
Sadly that's never going to happen, otherwise we'd be left with a bunch of unusable cosmetics and Valve would either have to refund anyone that bought them or redo them to fit the new model. Neither option seems to fit the current Valve MO.

Look at Smite's Zeus:

You really think there's not a problem with Dota's model?

Why does their puny Zeus need a shield? Ours doesn't.

kionedrik

Yeah, they really went and thought outside of the box with that one didn't they

Not going to argue against what you said, but ask yourself the following:
- Which model conveys an image of immense power that the most powerful god has?
- Which model conveys the image of representing something from an existing culture within a certain time period?

I'm not saying that Valve needs to copy the conventional image of Zeus, but at least give him a sense of power and connect him to ancient greece.

I actually like Reddit's idea that when Zeus ults, he actually changes really quickly into a huge, muscular, full on Greek god. I imagine it like Void's backtrack, but a bit larger and would last for the duration of the cast animation.

inkls

- Which model conveys the image of representing something from an existing culture within a certain time period?

I'm not saying that Valve needs to copy the conventional image of Zeus, but at least give him a sense of power and connect him to ancient greece.

At this point the design is so overuses I'm sure there's other ways to convey powers than to make him a tall muscly figure (esp with that movement speed and that str gain)

DrPizza

Banned
i will not stand for this slardar erasure

Slardar and Bounty Hunter can only reveal invis heroes if they already have vision. Zeus can reveal them without previously having vision, and can reveal wards and sentries too--he's the only one with gem-like capabilities.

Hupsel

-The Great Storm Escape-

A IHL Pre pre-season Story

...Luna and her darkmoon friends were trying to protect the tier 2 tower from an evil small blue fat dude and his devious allies. After killing some of the monsters wasting every ulti avaiable, they start an epic chase trying to kill Storm Spirit that, of course, always has mana to zip around and be incredible fucking annoying fuck this hero fuck him.

Guest starring: Eventide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aftVcvoq5HA&feature=youtu.be

inkls

-The Great Storm Escape-

A IHL Pre pre-season Story

...Luna and her darkmoon friends were trying to protect the tier 2 tower from an evil small blue fat dude and his devious allies. After killing some of the monsters wasting every ulti avaiable, they start an epic chase trying to kill Storm Spirit that, of course, always has mana to zip around and be incredible fucking annoying fuck this hero fuck him.

Guest starring: Eventide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aftVcvoq5HA&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcNhDstL4-k

DrPizza

Banned

Remember that our Zeus is mortal now. He's given up his immortality.

The idea of him briefly becoming immense and powerful when ulting is fun, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom