• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Salaadin said:
Sten is better than Alistair. I love the way qunari look at things...its so different from the norm yet still kinda makes sense.

My female warden wasn't havin' none of that "women stay in the kitchen" or "mages kept in chains" bullshit, but yeah I liked Sten.

JoeBoy101

What's the GAF consensus on the Qunari changes, visually? I actually really liked them (especially Sarrebas [Qunari Mages]) and glad they brought all the qunari in line* with Sten's demeanor and outlook.

* = DA:O
If you bring Sten into the Fade at the Circle, his qunari comrades are not as stringent and more conversational then he is (probably due to rank).

JoeBoy101 said:
What's the GAF consensus on the Qunari changes, visually? I actually really liked them (especially Sarrebas [Qunari Mages]) and glad they brought all the qunari in line* with Sten's demeanor and outlook.
The Qunari and the Qun are the best parts of DA2. That is all.

RPGCrazied

I fail to seeing the hate for the game. I will admit a few things bother me. The reuse of areas/dungeons were annoying. At first not so bad, but when its most of the game you only have a handful of areas, just doesn't have the epic feel.

The characters, the voicework, the writing, all top notch in my opinion. Its clear it was just a rush job, and I don't think pointing fingers at Bioware is what we should be doing. I think its EA's fault. They were the ones I'm sure demanding it be released as soon as possible, and since they own Bioware, they can only try and make their bosses happy.

Salaadin

Sten in full Massive armor with a 2 handed battleaxe is so badass looking too. Even moreso when you use Taunt and surround him with 10 enemies then Warcry to see them all fly backwards and onto their asses at once. That shit is better than anything I saw in DA2.

DA2 Act 2 spoilers: I wonder if DA3 will
touch on the Qunari war at all. Its implied that they might return for a full scale war at some point. Id love the see the real Sten and not those fake knock off posers named "Sten" in DA2. They should all be stripped of their titles as Sten because it doesnt do THE Sten justice.

As far as appearance changes, I like the way they look. Its was stated (by Bioware, I think) that Sten doesnt have horns and certain "special" Qunari are born without so Id like to see him with the new look, only hornless. He has to look different from the others though. Every Qunari in DA2 fit the basic enemy profiles of fighter and mage. The only ones that actually looked different were
the leader and the mage in that one quest.

The more and more I think about it, I think my biggest issue with DA2 was the lack of DA:O characters. After all my issues with the game, I still found myself happy as hell when
I got a letter from Alistair or saw Leliana at the end.
I really wanted a direct continuation.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
When it comes to the characters I'd rate them:

Alistair - Good fun. Was my main tank for the entirety of the game.
Morrigan - Great character.
Leliana - Mostly boring and not fully developed, still managed to get a place in my party since she was a good romantic intrest.
Sten - Boring. Never really used in any of my playthroughs.
Wynne - Boring. Had to use if I didn't want to respec Morrigan as healer.
Zhevran - Boring. Nothing noteworthy. Never used.
Oghren - So-so. Never really used, since I visited the Deep Roads last on my first playthrough.
Shale - Didn't have the DLC my first play. But I like him. I always use him when I go to the Deep Roads instead of Alister.

And the sequel:

Bethany - Great character. Liked her alot.
Carver - N/A
Aveline - Good
Varric - Some bad writing at times make an effort of ruining the character but overall he's a solid character that adds to the story.
Isabella - <3
Merrill - <3
Anders - I liked having him around during the whole mage vs templar conflict. He was quite entertaining. Though he was an asshole the whole of act 3.
Fenris - Good character if a bit... never really felt like bringing him along except to mess with Anders.
Sebastian - Boring. Very, very boring.

glaurung

Question about getting the party members' armor upgrades? Is there a system to how they appear in store listings? Do some become available at certain points in time or through story progression?

Spoiler tag the answer if necessary.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
kinoki said:
Fenris - Good character if a bit... never really felt like bringing him along except to mess with Anders.

He gives a cool insight on mages when you visit Gallows the first time and also he rocks when you visit Qunari in the gunpowder quest.

Lostconfused said:
The Qunari and the Qun are the best parts of DA2. That is all.

QFT

Ledsen

JoeBoy101 said:
sten_no.jpg

I've played for like 30 hours and Sten is the most boring, nondescript character in the game... in fact, he seems to have no personality at all, only sullen refusal to answer questions. What's good about him?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ledsen said:
I've played for like 30 hours and Sten is the most boring, nondescript character in the game... in fact, he seems to have no personality at all, only sullen refusal to answer questions. What's good about him?
He's tall and sounds badass. Those are the things that I look for in a man.

Salaadin

Question about Act 2 and and the end:
I read that if you have sex with Isabella at any moment of the game, she becomes the one who stays with you during the ending...even if you decide to fully romance someone else. What if you have sex with her and then give her to the Qunari when she brings the book back in Act 2? Is she still mentioned in the ending?

Ledsen said:
His constant demand for a reason to respect you, his strange outlook on things, his love for cookies, his odd/funny banter with other companions (especially Morrigan), and
Stallion Free said:
He's tall and sounds badass.

JoeBoy101

Ledsen said:

With Sten, embrace brevity and a strong hand. It might seem odd how to gain respect with him, but will make sense in the end. Sten takes patience, but if you keep with him, you get a real good backstory to him and interesting descriptions of the Qun and the Qunari.

And for nice side banter, pair him with Shale or Wynne. Shale and Sten in particular had a lengthy banter comparing humans to... well... monkeys, which come from Sten's homeland.

Darklord

Banned
kinoki said:
When it comes to the characters I'd rate them:

For me

Alistair - Great character. Was my closest "friend" I had in the game.
Morrigan - Great character. Evil but not really, had a very twisted view of the world but saw cracks of becoming a better person, even if they didn't last.
Leliana - Very Good character. Never cared for her backstory though.
Sten - Hard as fuck to please. Ended up not wanting to talk to me for ages but he stayed with me in battle. I expected him to try and kill me.
Wynne - Very Good character. As I played a mage and she came off as the wiser, helpful mage.
Zhevran - Slimy cunt. Should have killed him the first time. Then he tries it again! I enjoyed the character because he had the gaul to try and kill me. Twice.He never got a third.
Oghren - Ok character. My last character I got. At that point I was invested in the others.
Shale - Fantastic as a heavy tank but as a character? Not really.
Mabari - <3

And the sequel(so far...):

Bethany - Great character.
Templar's took her. Lame. I want her back!
Carver - So lame I quit being a mage. I like being a mage too.
Aveline - Very Good
Varric - Great. A fun character to be around.
Isabella - Great. A cocky, bi-sexual, pirate? Yes please.
Merrill - Average. She's kind of annoying and seems painfully ignorant.
Anders - Good. He tried hitting on me and When I said no he got shitty. I'm not gay! But he's ok.
Fenris - Good. I like the banter between him and Varric.
Sebastian - N/A
Mabari - <3

Xater

Ok I finished the game after I realized there was not much main quest left. What a shitty ending. From a story perspective this might be the worst Bioware game I have ever played.

JoeBoy101

Trickster said:
Just finished Act 1, is it ever explained how
the templars founds out about bethany?

Because of the motivations around trying to get out Lowtown by getting on the expedition in the beginning of Act 2, I assume somebody sold her out. Would have been a GREAT plot twist if Gamlen had done it.

Zeal

Banned
Sten seems to have been thrown in from DA:O at the last 10 minutes of development. They didn't even bother adding his dialogue.

"patch that shit in later, cuh. 800 points lol."

hermit7

Zeal said:
Sten seems to have been thrown in from DA:O at the last 10 minutes of development. They didn't even bother adding his dialogue.

"patch that shit in later, cuh. 800 points lol."

When is he in it?

Sten is a rank in the Qunari, any that you fight are not THE Sten.

Xater said:
I also finally know what this game should have been called:

Dragon Age II: The prologue to Dragon Age III

Exactly. At some point I found myself wondering whether the game would end when Varric finished telling his story or if it would progress past that point. Sadly, as time wore on I realized that "this was it" and the game would end with his story. And they'd force me to buy some DLC or another $60 piece of shit game to see what would happen next.

subversus

Sten was the least generic party member. He suprised me a lot of times, even made me sort of angry. He doesn't behave like expected and I like it. There's something mysterious about him. I wish they provided more information about Qunari.

Also The Qun rocks in DA2.

hermit7

krameriffic said:
Exactly. At some point I found myself wondering whether the game would end when Varric finished telling his story or if it would progress past that point. Sadly, as time wore on I realized that "this was it" and the game would end with his story. And they'd force me to buy some DLC or another $60 piece of shit game to see what would happen next.

This is exactly how I thought. I had imagined he would finish with where Hawke might be, and take up the story from there with her. Was disappointing.

Hixx

Anders is really starting to annoy me now; whinge whinge whinge, it's all he does. I'm not taking that lad anywhere when I replay, gonna pick mage just so I don't have to take him.

Also, (cameo spoilers from Act 3:)
Alistair looked weird. Though for some reason when he said 'and swooping is bad...' his face made me really crack up

I finally cleared Act 1 last night after getting 20 hours deep into the game. Lord, that was a shit ton of side quests.

Rather dicuss the game's mechanics, I'd rather focus on the story so far. I'm truly loving the DA2 is a straight up character driven drama.
While there isn't a "OMG, we've got stop the master demon from killing the world" plot, I love this slow build up between the Templars and the Mages[/spoilers]. The "Free Marches" is a very different social climate than what DA:O gave us with Ferelden. I think BioWare is doing a great of fleshing out the world and showing us that life isn't as great just because we ended the Blight. Even the Grey Wardens are presented differently as Anders hating being apart of them and [spoilers]when Bethany joined, she doesn't enjoy it much either. She's even a little resentful that you (Hawke) were able to back to your "normal" life in Kirkwall while she us just trying make it through each day and survive as a Warden
. DA:O presents the Wardens as this glorious and noble calling. In DA2, not so much.

Aveline is by far my favorite character so far. She and my dude-Hawke are best friends who share the same views on life. I love when she says that "some people are just broken". That rang very true with me. Banter between Aveline and Isabella is priceless. And whoever said that DA:O Awakening Anders is better than DA2 Anders is so right. I can't stand him in DA2 so he has no place in my party.
Except for the deep roads, best mistake I made was accidentally choosing him and not reloading my save. I guess I would have had to kill Bethany without him.

Now I'm looking forward to moving forward with all the characters during act 2. I think the strong character interaction is DA2's saving grace.

Kyoufu

Reluctant-Hero said:
Yeah, seriously. But I still had to clear every single one before I moved on to the Deep Roads. That's just my playing style.

Same here. After every side-quest I did I said to myself "is there a plot quest next?". Must've said that like 50 times lol

It seriously felt like I was playing a DA2 Awakening DLC expansion or something with a ton of side-quests for someone who has beaten the main game already.

JoeBoy101

Reluctant-Hero said:
Now I'm looking forward to moving forward with all the characters during act 2. I think the strong character interaction is DA2's saving grace.

Good news. The plot in Act 2 (really its Act 3) is definitely the best of the game and, occasionally, outstrips DA:O.

subversus

Reluctant-Hero said:
I think the strong character interaction is DA2's saving grace.

Yes. When I'm going back to game I'm not thinking "now I'll try this tactic and kick asses", I'm thinking "I wanna do this sidequest and see how cutscene plays out".

Hawke is a bland character btw. Shepard had personality in his responses. Hawke talks like he's trying to pull words out of his ass.

Kyoufu

subversus said:
Yes. When I'm going back to game I'm not thinking "now I'll try this tactic and kick asses", I'm thinking "I wanna do this sidequest and see how cutscene plays out".

Hawke is a bland character btw. Shepard had personality in his responses. Hawke talks like he's trying to pull words out of his ass.

Fem Hawke defence force in the house.

Kyoufu said:
Fem Hawke defence force in the house.
I'm already looking forward to rolling with a Fem-Hawke rogue in my inevitable second playthrough where I'll be choosing the sarcastic/charming dialog option 90% of the time.

Right now my dude-Hawke is a diplomatic do-gooder who's struggling to keep everyone appeased. I can already see the stress of my choices making cracks in Kirkwall's delicate balance.
I helped some rogue mages from another town go free in Act 1 only to find out that Meredith tracked them down between act 1 & 2 and quarantined them in the Circle. I've yer to meet this lady, but it seems that her absolute power over Kirkwall has corrupted her absolutely.

Kyoufu

I am thoroughly enjoying my Fem Hawke Rogue Renegade. Can't play a BioWare game this gen without playing the female. I find their VAs are much better than their male counterparts.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Anyone tried the new Dragon Age Legends facebook game that just launched today?
It's been stuck on the "Summoning your hero..." screen for like 15 min. I imagine it's trying to pull my DA2 character, but who knows. Annoying.

John Harker said:
It's been stuck on the "Summoning your hero..." screen for like 15 min. I imagine it's trying to pull my DA2 character, but who knows. Annoying.
I've been in the beta for it. It's a nice distraction, but I can't take these "social games" seriously with all of their micro-transactions.

You can play for about an hour or two before you run out of "energy" to continue with fighting battles; then the game will suggest you BUY more energy to keep playing. Also, make sure you "friend" people who play the game so you can use their characters in battle. Without a healthy stock of other player characters you'll run out of the game's built-in party members fast.

Mr_Zombie

John Harker said:

It's a fun game, but as Reluctant-Hero said, if you don't have friends playing it you're stuck with predefined party; you can use up to two party members in a fight and when the fight is finished, they have to "rest" for an hour or two. You can call them using "crowns", but to get more of these crowns you have to receive them during the game or pay for them with real money.

In the end after few fights you're out of party and have to wait for few hours to play more.

An I doubt it summons your DA2 character; it should open a character creator where you can create new hero. If you're stuck on the loading screen, it's probably just a bug.

jackdoe

Trickster said:
Just finished Act 1, is it ever explained how
the templars founds out about bethany?
Son of a bitch.
I restarted my playthrough as a warrior because I loathe Carver for the thirteen hours I spent with him during my first playthrough of Act 1. I also find that I loathe Anders and can barely tolerate Merril. So does the most likable mage in the game become inaccessible? Well fuck that shit. Who needs a stinking mage.

jackdoe said:
Son of a bitch.
I restarted my playthrough as a warrior because I loathe Carver for the thirteen hours I spent with him during my first playthrough of Act 1. I also find that I loathe Anders and can barely tolerate Merril. So does the most likable mage in the game become inaccessible? Well fuck that shit. Who needs a stinking mage.
Yeah, basically
you're going to lose Bethany/Carver, no matter what, at the end of Act 1. But I think the "best" way to lose them is by bringing Anders with you to the Deep Roads. He'll get your Blighted siblings to the Grey Wardens and they'll join them. You still lose access to them in act two, but I'd imagine you'll see them again later on in the game as they're patrolling the Free Marches & parts of Ferelden with other Wardens.

And as far as mages go, DA2 seems to built with enough flexibility that you don't need a mage in your party at all times.

jackdoe

Reluctant-Hero said:
Yeah, basically
you're going to lose Bethany/Carver, no matter what, at the end of Act 1. But I think the "best" way to lose them is by bringing Anders with you to the Deep Roads. He'll get your Blighted siblings to the Grey Wardens and they'll join them. You still lose access to them in act two, but I'd imagine you'll see them again later on in the game as they're patrolling the Free Marches & parts of Ferelden with other Wardens.

And as far as mages go, DA2 seems to built with enough flexibility that you don't need a mage in your party at all times.
I suppose. Guess my party is going to be Varric, Isabela, and Aveline from now on. Hate every other character. Especially Anders and Fenris (why the fuck does he get his own theme song by the way?).

subversus

So many lazy shit in this game. They had twice the team working on it and yet they failed to model armor and shit for all characters, not just Hawke.

Wave combat design is lazy, DA:O had it but not so much.

Reused dungeons are beyond any laziness.

Also it seems that I turned Bethanny into a perfect tank. As a character I don't really like her, but she's quite useful.

My favourite one for now is Merril. I'm yet to pick up Isabella and Anders.

subversus

Kyoufu said:
How do people play without a healer? :/

I prepare a shitton of elfroot potions and spam it with regular health potions. Healer is a last resort, I don't use him/her in most combat situations.

jackdoe

Kyoufu said:
I'll do without if my options are Anders or Merril. I hate Anders' personality (he needs to lighten the fuck up) and Merril's design freaks the hell out of me (as do all the elves since they are pretty much a human with fucked up ratios, which was a lazy way to make elves unique; hell the mage outfit for the keeper wasn't even redone for the new ratios and the old ring ended up becoming an oval).

Kyoufu said:
Carefully timing and usage of potions. And the potion is unlocked in Act 2. I played the majority of Act 1 without a dedicated healer until I accidentally took Anders to the Deep Roads and chose not to reload a save.

But I'm sure that on Nightmare, whiny Anders will be crucial. It's too bad that Merrill doesn't have access to the Creation tree.

Top Bottom