• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

FINALBOSS

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Merril is the best character in the game for me.

I love how games can invoke wildly different opinions in people. I could NOT stand her for the life of me. I never used her...ever...just for her quest line.

I rolled with Aveline, Fenris and Anders.

Kyoufu said:
How do people play without a healer? :/

Potions are a better healing method anyway, especially the potions you get through crafting. I'm playing through nightmare with a team of a DW rogue, Aveline, Varric, and Merrill...ie no one who can cast heal and am having no real problems. Proper aggro management and good damage prevention is key though.

Man

Oh my god... Bursted out laughing reading the recommended PC specs in the OP.
First time visiting the thread.

edit: *continues reading*

gold.jpg

Kyoufu

Basileus777 said:
Potions are a better healing method anyway, especially the potions you get through crafting. I'm playing through nightmare with a team of a DW rogue, Aveline, Varric, and Merrill...ie no one who can cast heal and am having real problems. Proper aggro management and good damage prevention is key though.

They cost a lot of sovereign to keep up with though. I'm broke as fuck after buying stuff.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Mr_Zombie said:
It's a fun game, but as Reluctant-Hero said, if you don't have friends playing it you're stuck with predefined party; you can use up to two party members in a fight and when the fight is finished, they have to "rest" for an hour or two. You can call them using "crowns", but to get more of these crowns you have to receive them during the game or pay for them with real money.

In the end after few fights you're out of party and have to wait for few hours to play more.

An I doubt it summons your DA2 character; it should open a character creator where you can create new hero. If you're stuck on the loading screen, it's probably just a bug.

Oh, it says 'summoning' so I thought it was pulling my DA2 character, since I thought the games were linked. Don't you unlock actual DA2 items for playing?

Either way, it never loaded, so it's probably borked. Bad launch!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Kyoufu said:
They cost a lot of sovereign to keep up with though. I'm broke as fuck after buying stuff.

c'mon. they're cheap as fuck. I can order 3 elfroot potions for like 1 gold coin and some silver.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Reluctant-Hero said:
But I'm sure that on Nightmare, whiny Anders will be crucial. It's too bad that Merrill doesn't have access to the Creation tree.

oh, he has his own unique tree.

I think it's time to do his quest.

FINALBOSS said:
I love how games can invoke wildly different opinions in people. I could NOT stand her for the life of me. I never used her...ever...just for her quest line.

I rolled with Aveline, Fenris and Anders.

Merril (Ms brain damage) is complete derpy derp derp fanfic wank.

Kyoufu said:

Only buy crafted potions and burn through normal health potions first. Enemies drop health potions more when you are low on them.

FINALBOSS

Banned
subversus said:
c'mon. they're cheap as fuck. I can order 3 elfroot potions for like 1 gold coin and some silver.

This game is stingy as fuck with money...I did every single quest and I never at any point had over 100 gold.

jackdoe

fizzelopeguss said:
Merril (Ms brain damage) is complete derpy derp derp fanfic wank.
On the bright side, at least it isn't Japanese with her adding "Desu" after every line. Star Ocean IV nightmares.

Durante

Reluctant-Hero said:
Oh, I know he does. But if Merril at least had the creation tree, she'd be great wil an upgraded heal spell as the last resort.
If you're on PC there is a companion skill tree unlock mod.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
People had issues with money? After the first act I was around 100g for the entire game, there is nothing worth buying apart from potions.

Hixx

Random enemies AoE ticking for more than a High Dragon hits is just so wrong. The encounters in this game really are terrible. I love nearly everything else but I'm just getting tired of how utterly stupid most of the fights are.

Kyoufu

Ikuu said:
People had issues with money? After the first act I was around 100g for the entire game, there is nothing worth buying apart from potions.

I bought a dagger from the Black Emporium which has a chance to heal me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
FINALBOSS said:
This game is stingy as fuck with money...I did every single quest and I never at any point had over 100 gold.

Were you not selling stuff at all? I constantly had over 100, typically was closer to 200.

LOZLINK

I had 90 gold or something in the first act. Didn't start the second act main story yet but i have 120 now. Also
Even the romance is dumbed down, i had isabella barely as a friend and banged her
Also, this game's side quests are becoming a tad tedious

LOZLINK said:
Also
even the romance is dumbed down, I had isabella barely as a friend and banged her
Actually,
that initial "rutting" is a part of her active romance plot, If you make the right responses towards her. Banging her is just the beginning of her romance.

Zeliard

I know I'm a bit late to the character discussion, but I just wanted to say for the record that I think Alistair is the best character in the Dragon Age series. :>

I generally enjoy the DA2 companions but there's nobody that approaches him. Say what you want about Alistair, but he was a companion through-and-through. What I mean is he wasn't just some party member you pick at the selection screen - he felt like an actual companion to you throughout the entire adventure, with ups and downs and strife and joy, etc. He came off as quite naturalistic even given the style of dialogue, and he was amusingly sardonic most of the time.

Pollux

Sir Garbageman said:
I'm going to have to agree. I enjoy the majority of characters in DA2 a lot more than DA:O so far (I'm in the middle of Act II)

For DA2 I'd rank them as
:

GOOD

Aveline
Varric
Isabella

OK

Merrill
Carver / Bethany
Fenris
Sebastian

BAD

Anders

For DA:O

GOOD

Morrigan
Alistair

OK

Leliana
Shale
Sten

BAD

Wynne
Zevran
Oghren
Dog

All in all I disliked almost half of DA:O's original cast.

How do you dislike Dog?

Kyoufu

So I got the trophy for killing (act 2 spoiler)
The Arishok

except.....

I haven't beaten it yet.

Bugged game is bugged.

Zeliard

RiderKairuu said:
I keep hearing about this Fenris fellow. How do I get him?

Go through the Bait and Switch quest line. You should be able to do it quite early on in the game. I think it's prompted by a letter to your home.

Kyoufu

Also, for anyone past Act 2... I don't get the option to duel the boss. This fight is actually too difficult for my shitty team that likes to fight in corners away from the tank.

Zeliard said:
Go through the Bait and Switch quest line. You should be able to do it quite early on in the game. I think it's prompted by a letter to your home.
I would skip the quest that netted me another party member...

Hixx

Has a patch just been released (PC)? Steam just downloaded something and it was for DA2 but I cba to boot up, watching Red Dwarf. Red Dwarf is better.

Zeliard

RiderKairuu said:
I would skip the quest that netted me another party member...

Are you already in or past the Deep Roads? In that case I don't think you can recruit anyone you missed in Act 1. If not then you can still get him.

Question:

In the console demo, the skills were on one big page. In the final version, each branch is on its own page and you flip between them. Is there any way to get it back to the whole-screen version? I like it a lot more.

I have a Mac, so no, the PC version is out of the question. (as is the terrible Mac version.)

MechaX

Watched my friend go through the demo earlier today. Hell, he's not even big into RPGs but he liked DA:O enough to play through it twice and spend a few hours going through the different origin stories. He was pretty excited about DA2 going into it, but man, the look on his face when he started playing the game was actually rather depressing. Despite my thoughts on the game, I tried to give it a far shake of what it does well and what it doesn't.

He liked the simplified dialogue wheel, but the combat was what did him in. He played as a rogue and described the combat as "soulless". And... well... I couldn't exactly say that the combat gets any better as a rogue, given how I rolled mage. I'm just slightly curious here, are rogues more fun to screw around with as they were in DA:O? (Ie; setting traps, using stealth in combat, etc)

HixxSAFC said:
Has a patch just been released (PC)? Steam just downloaded something and it was for DA2 but I cba to boot up, watching Red Dwarf. Red Dwarf is better.

Looks like the beta patch is now official -

http://social.bioware.com/page/da2-patches

Dragon Age II 1.01

GENERAL:

Fixed save game issues on single core machines
Fixed game asking for non-existent drives
Fixed release control issues where some players were unable to unlock correctly
Fixed a Steam-specific issue related to VO not playing after switching languages

mujun

I'm starting to turn on this. I can see where the complaints about this game being too much like an MMO came from.

Combat is too mashy (partly due to the fights pretty much always taking place in confined spaces), was playing on hard but got frustrated by the time it took to take stuff down so dropped it to normal.

Lots of visiting similar looking areas (didn't really happen till bout my 8th hour in).

Finally, the quests are too mundane and despite the abundance of them, starting to get boring.

I'll definitely finish it but I'll probably cut corners (read, not get close to doing all the side stuff) and won't, as I originally planned, be doing a second play through.

Ah, well, looks like ME is the only Bioware series I am going to love.

kamspy

This game has flashes of brilliance. I loaded it up, and felt like it was going to be a laborious task to get the game finished so I can start Homefront and play Crysis 2 next week. Lo and behold I played the game for almost 3 hours straight and had to pull myself away. This would be the perfect expansion pack to the real DA2. I really like what they've done with the combat.

I don't think I hated any of the companions, although Anders got on my nerves a few times, especially with his DBag move in the third act. Can someone tell me if he still does that thing he does if you don't assist him in doing it?

Merril was great to have in your party, some of the dialog was highly amusing imo. My standard party for practically the whole game was Mage Hawk + Varric + Merril + Aveline.

JoeBoy101

ThoseDeafMutes said:
I don't think I hated any of the companions, although Anders got on my nerves a few times, especially with his DBag move in the third act. Can someone tell me if he still does that thing he does if you don't assist him in doing it?

Merril was great to have in your party, some of the dialog was highly amusing imo. My standard party for practically the whole game was Mage Hawk + Varric + Merril + Aveline.

You missed out. Some of the best party banter was from Isabella, especially with her prodding of Aveline. I also really like how the party banter advances with the game and the relationships.

But the winner has to be Varric and his crime novels written based off of Aveline. Loved the nod to Lethal Weapon he does in there.
Aveline complains someone is going to find out its her in the book, so Varric agrees to retire the main character, "though it might be a tough three chapters. He's getting to old for this shit."

TheUsual

Gold Member
So I'm playing again as a mage and want to know what spell is the one used in the destiny trailer? The spell where he rips the Qunari's arms off.

*sigh* This is going to be weird playing a mage build and siding with
the templars

Questions:

Whats the fastest way to get a character to rival?

How will the 360 patch work for the glitched achievements? Will i earn them after the patch or will i have to go through those parts again?

Its unacceptable how many achievements are glitched and the buggynes of the game. The last hour of my play through a certain enemy type i was battling against, of which there where alot, didnt even show up. They where flying helmets with swords. It was weird.

I think the funniest bit I played was near the end, a fight with a giant pride demon. The game thought it was in non-combat mode, and so Aveline and Varric were practically immortal (while my other two were dead). As soon as they'd get hit, they would instantly regenerate. The annoying thing was that I had to constantly tell Varric to fire, because otherwise the game would have him holster his crossbow.

Rufus

X-Frame said:
I'm definitely going to be doing this -- the conversations should be interesting.
Hope so. It's so absurd seeing Mage Hawke talk to Templars. "Those mages...!" says Cullen, "Haha, those mages!" says Hawke, wearing a robe. With a staff on his back*. You'd think the MAGE UNIFORM would tip someone off, or expect word to get around, but no... We'll just act like he's not one. Alright then.

*floating near it, in any case.

I keep thinking of those DA:O machinima clips. Why can't the cut scenes be that well directed...?

zmoney said:

How do you dislike Dog?

Wasn't a particularly effective character in combat and the lack of any real dialogue. To be fair he did have decent interactions with other characters. I much prefer the way DA2 handles your mabari.

Side Note, The Long Road quest
Aveline's Act II companion quest where she needs your help romancing the guard
is awesome with Isabella in your party.

Rufus said:
Hope so. It's so absurd seeing Mage Hawke talk to Templars. "Those mages...!" says Cullen, "Haha, those mages!" says Hawke, wearing a robe. With a staff on his back*. You'd think the MAGE UNIFORM would tip someone off, or expect word to get around, but no... We'll just act like he's not one. Alright then.

It's absurd no matter what. If you're not a mage then Bethany is there making loud comments about how we shouldn't act suspicious.

Also in my game I gave Anders a staff that has a big human skull on the end of it. Totally inconspicuous.

HadesGigas said:
It's absurd no matter what. If you're not a mage then Bethany is there making loud comments about how we shouldn't act suspicious.

Also in my game I gave Anders a staff that has a big human skull on the end of it. Totally inconspicuous.
Eventually the templars just say that they don't care that Hawke is a mage.

But then again the things the mages say in the game are equally ridiculous "You have money and a fancy mansion, you don't really know what its like to be mage. You don't know the plight of the oppressed oh noes"

Edit: jeez sometimes I can't even believe some of my typos.

jackdoe

Lostconfused said:
Eventually the templars just say that they don't care that Hawke is a mage.

But then again the things the gages say in the game are equally ridiculous "You have money and a fancy mansion, you don't really know what its like to be mage. You don't know the plight of the oppressed oh noes"
They also want you to do their dirty work for them and when you don't they start blaming you for crap that they should take care of on their own.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
jackdoe said:
They also want you to do their dirty work for them and when you don't they start blaming you for crap that they should take care of on their own.
They also turn to blood magic the second things don't go right.

The writing in this game is a joke

My mage bodycount in kirkwall was ridiculous. Aren't mages supposed to be rare or something? I must have killed five hundred during the game. The number of people who threw themselves into the Hawk meatgrinder was also absurd. At least in the first game most of your kills were darkspawn and people from a variety of different locations around Fereldon and beyond. This is just one city.

Top Bottom