• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Pollux

WickedLaharl said:
can you only have one romance? i was a little too nice to anders and he threw himself at me :/

I think you can select the heart for everyone up until the final act...I'm probably wrong though.

MechaX

ThoseDeafMutes said:
My mage bodycount in kirkwall was ridiculous. Aren't mages supposed to be rare or something? I must have killed five hundred during the game. The number of people who threw themselves into the Hawk meatgrinder was also absurd. At least in the first game most of your kills were darkspawn and people from a variety of different locations around Fereldon and beyond. This is just one city.

Mages are supposed to be relatively uncommon. Like force users in the Star Wars universe, if you will.

Blood Mages are supposed to be rare since you actually have to jump through quite a few hoops to become one.

... Coincidentally, it seems like 99% of the Blood Mage populace resides in Kirkwall. But we're also talking about a city where like 10 criminal gangs rent out the same warehouse in the Kirkwall docks.

MechaX said:
Mages are supposed to be relatively uncommon. Like force users in the Star Wars universe, if you will.

Blood Mages are supposed to be rare since you actually have to jump through quite a few hoops to become one.

... Coincidentally, it seems like 99% of the Blood Mage populace resides in Kirkwall. But we're also talking about a city where like 10 criminal gangs rent out the same warehouse in the Kirkwall docks.

There is some mention in the game that a far higher percentage of Kirkwall mages fail the harrowing, attempt to flee, or give in to blood magic. Compared to other circles that aren't literal prisons.

Doesn't really explain why there's so many of them though. Especially considering the "a lot of them fail the harrowing" and the "more of them are made tranquil" parts.

gdt

HadesGigas said:
There is some mention in the game that a far higher percentage of Kirkwall mages fail the harrowing, attempt to flee, or give in to blood magic. Compared to other circles that aren't literal prisons.

Doesn't really explain why there's so many of them though. Especially considering the "a lot of them fail the harrowing" and the "more of them are made tranquil" parts.

There's a codex somewhere in the game that says that Kirkwall's especially bloody history (i.e. more blood and war in the air) makes Blood Magic more viable and powerful in Kirkwall.

I'm pretty sure, anyway.

Pollux

MechaX said:

As much as I loved the game this is just another example of shoddy story writing.

jackdoe

MechaX said:
A shame mages aren't as badass as Jedi. If you're gonna redesign staffs so they have a melee aspect, might as well redesign their robes.

Deadly

jackdoe said:
A shame mages aren't as badass as Jedi. If you're gonna redesign staffs so they have a melee aspect, might as well redesign their robes.
What was the point of redesigning the staffs so they had "melee aspect"? They are never used in melee...

jackdoe

Deadly said:
What was the point of redesigning the staffs so they had "melee aspect"? They are never used in melee...
You'd have to ask Bioware, though I'd wager that it was to make it more badass. I see no other reason to add a melee implement to the end of your staff and allow you both ranged and close combat sound effects.

Also, I haven't got far into the game (haven't felt an urge), but can you
create a badass neutral mage (or templar) who hunts both evil mages and templars, keeping the peace while not taking political sides and trying to save as many civilians as possible (like in the Witcher)?
If this is true, then I would definitely feel more inclined to play the game.

Deadly

jackdoe said:
You'd have to ask Bioware, though I'd wager that it was to make it more badass. I see no other reason to add a melee implement to the end of your staff and allow you both ranged and close combat sound effects.

Also, I haven't got far into the game (haven't felt an urge), but can you
create a badass neutral mage (or templar) who hunts both evil mages and templars, keeping the peace while not taking political sides and trying to save as many civilians as possible (like in the Witcher)?
If this is true, then I would definitely feel more inclined to play the game.
You can do that until a certain point in the game where you will have to choose a side.

branny

After forcing myself to finish every quest I could and upon finally reaching the end, I've come to the conclusion that I only truly enjoyed DA2 whenever a companion
(or totally random cameo appearance that played completely off of my attachment to Origins)
was involved. Banter, personal quests, whenever party members were interacting with the main story, the progressiveness of everyone's welcome bisexuality--all of this was great. These connections are important.

I'm utterly disappointed at nearly every other aspect of this game, though, and hope it was some horrible fluke that will not happen again. "Underdeveloped" is probably a better word to use than "rushed." There were also quite a few mind-boggling and downright thoughtless design decisions. For example, whose idea was it to put your storage in an area without access to the inventories of your party members? What about the overly long assault of enemy after enemy for nearly every encounter? Or all the meaningless fetch-quest padding that serves little purpose beyond artificially extending the game, no thanks in part to several thousand load screens brought about by such a confined scope? Where is the balance, the pacing, the nuance of good design to make everything enjoyable and not feel tedious? I will leave my ME1>ME2 opinions out of this, but I really hope we aren't witnessing some downward trend here. I thought DA:O was great enough to overlook its flaws. I'm not sure it even needed a sequel. This game, on the other hand, was just a stagnant, aimless, disjointed mess with the occasional triumph peppered throughout and some potentially interesting ideas that never quite reached their full potential.

Endgame spoilers:
And I'm so sick of completely ridiculous final boss fights. BioWare, stop it! The Terminator ME2 abomination was silly, but I forgave you. Now you have to pull that crap with Meredith. Embarrassing! You do not need to pump up the "awesomeness" for something that is already pivotal enough to be understood by players as a significant battle. I understand realism is already thrown out the window with DA2, but Varric's recounting of events cannot possibly continue to be a scapegoat for defending all this nonsense! Congratulations, you found the perfect "meta" tool to cover up quite a few disagreeable design decisions, and you're perfectly safe hiding behind it should you choose to do so. I just want you to know that saying "just kidding!" after a particularly wounding insult will not erase it. I have no clue who this game was designed for. Rabid fans of Dragon Age seem to be in denial at best, and I doubt thrill-seeking neanderthals will make it past the first act without getting bored out of their minds.

TheUsual said:
So I'm playing again as a mage and want to know what spell is the one used in the destiny trailer? The spell where he rips the Qunari's arms off.

I don't think there's a spell like that in the game. Maybe it's some embellished interpretation of the "Fist of the Maker" spell found in the Force skill tree? Someone else may know for sure.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
jackdoe said:
So what you're saying is I should go play KOTOR and pretend Bioware never hired a bunch of fan fic writers from their forums?

Skeezy

Neo Member
I'm finding it real hard to give a damn about Hawke and company's struggle in Act 1. I got about 5 or 6 hours into the game before I just give up. I was so hyped, I can't even give this game a pity run.

that melancholic elf companion with the tats looks like he was designed by a committee for the overweight chick/ twilight fan demographic. Right down to the voice acting.

MechaX

fizzelopeguss said:
that melancholic elf companion with the tats looks like he was designed by a committee for the overweight chick/ twilight fan demographic. Right down to the voice acting.

You did NOT just diss Balthier!

... But I guess having a better script was a big point in FFXII's favor.

jackdoe

fizzelopeguss said:
And don't forget the theme music that plays during his conversations.

I'm not even sure how Ferris looks like a Twilight character. His voice sure isn't and he looks like any other elf in fiction. They tend to look pretty or have hair like that.

MechaX said:

Honestly, up until the very end I was not expecting
Merideth to actually be possessed. Because she wasn't really speaking nonsense, there were blood mages fucking everywhere. She was just implementing an immoral solution to the problem. She was a very believable tyrant, they did not need to explain her motivations further. I felt like it was a cop out when it was the Idol doing it all.

After forcing myself to finish every quest I could and upon finally reaching the end, I've come to the conclusion that I only truly enjoyed DA2 whenever a companion ... was involved. Banter, personal quests, whenever party members were interacting with the main story, the progressiveness of everyone's welcome bisexuality--all of this was great. These connections are important.

The bisexuality I found a bit implausible, I preferred DA:O where some characters were Bi and others weren't. I wouldn't mind if they put an exclusively gay character or two in the next one, simply to make it more plausible, but it's not a big deal really. Regarding the companions, yeah, that was when I enjoyed the game the most. Every time I saw a companion quest I jumped for it because it was the only stuff I really had much fun with, and some of them were hit and miss anyway.

TheUsual

Gold Member
fizzelopeguss said:
I don't know about Twilight, I had a huge anime vibe to him. (Namely, he seemed angsty and always carried a bigass sword.)

I did use him as my main tank for majority of the game though.

MechaX

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Honestly, up until the very end I was not expecting
Merideth to actually be possessed. Because she wasn't really speaking nonsense, there were blood mages fucking everywhere. She was just implementing an immoral solution to the problem. She was a very believable tyrant, they did not need to explain her motivations further. I felt like it was a cop out when it was the Idol doing it all.

While that may be true,
the reason Meredith called for the Right of Annulment in the first place was because Anders, being an abomination/mage, nuked the Chantry. Despite Anders being two feet away from her, Meredith scurries off to kill every single mage in Kirkwall without being bothered to deal with the guy who actually confessed to nuking the Chantry.
That kind of shoddy writing was something that took me right out of the experience.

TheUsual

Gold Member
MechaX said:
While that may be true,
the reason Meredith called for the Right of Annulment in the first place was because Anders, being an abomination/mage, nuked the Chantry. Despite Anders being two feet away from her, Meredith scurries off to kill every single mage in Kirkwall without being bothered to deal with the guy who actually confessed to nuking the Chantry.
That kind of shoddy writing was something that took me right out of the experience.
Yeah...
I let Anders live. But seeing how Meredith calling the Right of Annulment but not doing anything to Anders boggles my mind.

branny

ThoseDeafMutes said:
The bisexuality I found a bit implausible, I preferred DA:O where some characters were Bi and others weren't. I wouldn't mind if they put an exclusively gay character or two in the next one, simply to make it more plausible, but it's not a big deal really.

I agree that it's implausible and comes off kind of silly, but I think it's a far better solution to appease people who generally get screwed when it comes to that kind of freedom. I'd imagine it makes more people happy than unhappy, so it's something I'd like to keep seeing for the sake of inclusiveness and role-playing. In the end, it's all ridiculous, but I don't see any reason to restrict that kind of content from certain people for the sake of plausibility.

TheUsual said:
Yeah...
I let Anders live. But seeing how Meredith calling the Right of Annulment but not doing anything to Anders boggles my mind.

I don't see the problem. At that point
ignoring Anders was supposed to be a blatant sign that she had some greater agenda, possessed or not, using it as impetus for an all-out war. My issue was that it painted her as obviously "evil" when the conflict between Mages and Templars is quite complex and deserves to be handled much better than that.

Van Buren

branny said:
I don't see the problem. At that point
ignoring Anders was supposed to be a blatant sign that she had some greater agenda, possessed or not, using it as impetus for an all-out war. My issue was that it painted her as obviously "evil" when the conflict between Mages and Templars is quite complex and deserves to be handled much better than that.

Glad I'm not the only one who took issue with Meredith's evil portrayal at that point. Throughout the game, we see nearly every single mage using blood magic and causing chaos of some kind. Her act of invoking the annulment seemed like a final straw given how potentially dangerous the mages in the game were. The prospect of a sane Meredith ordering the execution of all the mages to prevent future disasters, like the chantry explosion, is probably the closest we come to a morally ambiguous choice situation in the game - sacrificing innocents now in order to potentially protect more innocents in the future. Pity Bioware adds the Lyrium element to it to make it a binary good/evil choice again.

Speaking of Anders, was I the only one who felt the options to deal with him after his bombing were lacking ? Execution was the easy way out for him, and letting him go unscathed seemed madness too. I would have greatly enjoyed a darker choice; one where Anders is allowed to live, but is made Tranquil. Would have been a much more fitting punishment, imo.

jackdoe

Heh. I just saw a Bioware tip about positioning warriors to guard choke points. I wonder where the hell a choke point is located in an arena like environment with enemies spawing all around you?

jackdoe said:
Heh. I just saw a Bioware tip about positioning warriors to guard choke points. I wonder where the hell a choke point is located in an arena like environment with enemies spawing all around you?

When my party members fell in battle, 9 times out of 10 it was because enemies had spawned right next to them and they were squishy mages.

Pollux

ThoseDeafMutes said:
When my party members fell in battle, 9 times out of 10 it was because enemies had spawned right next to them and they were squishy mages.

This is the reason that strategy has almost completely gone out the window with this game. Makes any fight a huge pain in the ass, and almost forces you to just spam A.

zmoney said:

This is the reason that strategy has almost completely gone out the window with this game. Makes any fight a huge pain in the ass, and almost forces you to just spam A.

At least awesome things will keep happening to make up for it.

branny

Van Buren said:
Speaking of Anders, was I the only one who felt the options to deal with him after his bombing were lacking ? Execution was the easy way out for him, and letting him go unscathed seemed madness too. I would have greatly enjoyed a darker choice; one where Anders is allowed to live, but is made Tranquil. Would have been a much more fitting punishment, imo.

I don't even know how a Tranquil option would work for Anders considering the whole deal with Justice (unless this was addressed in the game?), but I agree and think that'd be an interesting punishment. Your statement leads me to another thing I disliked: I'm upset that we get no epilogue(s) akin to Origins/Awakening, just Varric saying a few words. DA2 simply ends and cuts everything off from the player post-game.

I was foolish to think there'd be more to play after that part of the game. For example, I enjoyed the idea of Flemeth as some sort of proxy for fate's fingertips or grand manipulator considering her involvement in Origins, but that area was left largely unexplored. As far as I know, she doesn't even show up to glimpse her handiwork over the long period of time Hawke was making a name for himself/herself. Many other answers to lingering mysteries were only teased, too, like the whole incident with Merrill's Eluvian ultimately providing little insight to Morrigan's course of action.

Kritz

Banned
I've put about 20 hours into the game and I'm about midway through act 2. DA2 being, or at least pretending to be, an RPG has lead me to attempt every single bloody sidequest I see in the hope that it either lets me see interesting content, or makes the overall story more gratifying to complete.

Here, they kinda don't do either of those things. They don't over level my crew, either, as it seems every enemy encounter is completely scaled.

I don't really have the empathy to express myself properly, but I'll say that I really dislike this game, but will play through it because I liked the first Dragon Age. Even if everything is really bad - which it is.

Van Buren

branny said:
I don't even know how a Tranquil option would work for Anders considering the whole deal with Justice (unless this was addressed in the game?), but I agree and think that'd be an interesting punishment. Your statement leads me to another thing I disliked: I'm upset that we get no epilogue(s) akin to Origins/Awakening, just Varric saying a few words. DA2 simply ends and cuts everything off from the player post-game.

I was foolish to think there'd be more to play after that part of the game. For example, I enjoyed the idea of Flemeth as some sort of proxy for fate's fingertips or grand manipulator considering her involvement in Origins, but that area was left largely unexplored. As far as I know, she doesn't even show up to glimpse her handiwork over the long period of time Hawke was making a name for himself/herself. Many other answers to lingering mysteries were only teased, too, like the whole incident with Merrill's Eluvian ultimately providing little insight to Morrigan's course of action.

Speaking of the epilogue, on the pc I could only find one epilogue ending ( the one with Varric summing up the events to Cassandra ), so it leads me to believe that Bioware is trying to railroad the story into having a specific ending point to help maintain the story continuity for future titles. Kind of explains why everything felt abrupt and claustrophobic with regards to choices. On the other hand, if it helps them avoid glaring continuity errors like the ones in DA2 from DA:O, that's a tiny silver lining, I guess.

Flemeth seemed nothing more than a hook to reel in DAO fans. The game made a few noises about her pulling the strings behind Merrill accompanying Hawke, but that plot-line was left dangling in my playthrough. Wouldn't be surprised if her story was intentionally not followed upon so that it could be sold as future DLC.

I'm still in Act I I believe (am in the city still) but dear Lord am I tired of reused caves and buildings. Will this continue throughout the game? I mean is this the same in every act?

Xater

Melhisedek said:
I'm still in Act I I believe (am in the city still) but dear Lord am I tired of reused caves and buildings. Will this continue throughout the game? I mean is this the same in every act?

Yes, at some point there are no new locations. You also never leave the city, except for a few small quest locations.

Peff

Mr_Zombie said:
Does the city at least change visually with each act?

No. I don't think there are any new locations after Act 1 either, even the maps for the Deep Roads are recycled in completely different locations.

Darklord

Banned
Xater said:

Yeah, I hate when games do this. It's stupid. Why skip ahead 3 years if NOTHING has changed? Especially things like Fenris living in the same, completely trashed house. Come on after 3 years he can't cleaned it up a little?

I'm really missing the heavy character interaction by now(early into Act 2). I want to have those long conversations with them not just a quick chat and that's it for ages.

Darklord

Banned
Melhisedek said:
Damn, this is gonna be a chore :/
Is it worth it to continue for the story? Or should I drop sidequests?

Don't force yourself to do quests. If you want to just push through, then finish off the main and secondary quests.

Xater

Darklord said:
It's ok. They did as artistic as they did reusing the 3 dungeons.

I sometimes did two quests in a row where I visited the same dungeon, and I probably visited it 3 or 4 times before that.

Hixx

autobzooty said:
This may sound dumb, but what's the difference between a side quest and a secondary quest?

Secondary quests will usually have follow ups (companion quests are sometimes listed under secondary) and at least a bit of story. Side quests are 'go rescue this person/find this item and take it back to random person/collect so many of this item'.

autobzooty said:
This may sound dumb, but what's the difference between a side quest and a secondary quest?

The side quests are mostly the "find an item in a chest, bring it to some person who previously didn't exist in some random location, hear them thank you in a manner that may or may not make any sense" quests. But there are handful that are more involved, so... I don't know.

Top Bottom